• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
What did Jack do?

So, this just sort of came out of nowhere.

He was seen at Netflix HQ a while back, guess it was for this.

It's David Lynch sitting down and interrogating a monkey suspected of Murder. Lynchiness ensues.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
This is not new, it was made in 2014, but it's the first time it's widely available, I believe. It was just shown in festivals before

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hot damn, this is on Netflix?

ive heard og it but never saw it

Oct 25, 2017
If Netflix want to go ahead and upload all of Lynch's shorts on there that would be swell. I have the DVD which has his earlier work but can't justify the price for the stuff that was only released in limited amounts through his website.

Let's just hope it's the start of a working relationship.

I eagerly await a new 18-hour film with accompanying cinema run.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. In the credits I saw the copyright was 2016.

A bunch of detective/noir/interrogation tropes with a monkey.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
What a surprise, I've got to check this out. I know it's a long shot but I would love to see Netflix finance one last David Lynch feature length movie.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Now if anyone should get a $150M budget to go wild please let it be Lynch. Let's go Netflix!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I heard the short gets intense when the monkey decides to start watching a movie on its phone in front of Lynch.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wish science could extend Lynch's lifespan so that Earth won't be denied his genius in years to come.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
What a surprise, I've got to check this out. I know it's a long shot but I would love to see Netflix finance one last David Lynch feature length movie.

They also need to give David Cronenberg a truckload of money to do whatever the hell he wants with (although apparently they are working on a series based on his novel).

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I still don't get Lynch, though I've only seen this and Elephant Man.
This short played with tropes and allegory, just like many other movies and pieces of media do, but it also didn't make any sense. Is this what elevates it? The fact that the director is clearly having fun and not caring about making a story? So like a shitpost? I'm serious here, I know nonsense is a thing. Just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very cool that this comes out the day I run out of weed. Going to be a brutal wait for the weekend to come.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
This short played with tropes and allegory, just like many other movies and pieces of media do, but it also didn't make any sense. Is this what elevates it? The fact that the director is clearly having fun and not caring about making a story? So like a shitpost? I'm serious here, I know nonsense is a thing. Just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.
Lynch's work isnt without meaning. I can't claim to know anything about what's he's trying to say with this one yet, but I doubt it's about nothing at all.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I would really suggest seeing more Lynch. Elephant Man was great, but it's definitely one of his most traditional and straightforward movies (that and the aptly titled Straight Story). As good intro Lynch movies, definitely check out Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Blue Velvet.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would really suggest seeing more Lynch. Elephant Man was great, but it's definitely one of his most traditional and straightforward movies (that and the aptly titled Straight Story). As good intro Lynch movies, definitely check out Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and Blue Velvet.
My go-to intro-to-Lynch recommendation is Wild at Heart, since a lot of people love Nic Cage. It's my personal favorite of his for that reason.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Lynch's work isnt without meaning. I can't claim to know anything about what's he's trying to say with this one yet, but I doubt it's about nothing at all.
Thanks, I was planning to watch more from him so I'm gonna do it in the next days. I'm curious, he's one of the few living directors considered great that I have to explore.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Hbd Lynch lol, watching this rn hahahhaha

Btw This is really a lovely film that people forget he directed, by far his most accessible work , as it's meant to be

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
My go-to intro-to-Lynch recommendation is Wild at Heart, since a lot of people love Nic Cage. It's my personal favorite of his for that reason.
Wild at Heart is a great one too. I love most of his films, but to a newcomer it's hard to recommend something like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me or Inland Empire as much as I like both.

Wild at Heart is super-entertaining though and not hard to follow like his more... let's say Lynchian films.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's become a parody of himself

Find your happy place Frank, find your happy place. Don't let him get to you.

fsdXW8B.gif

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
"For argument's sake, let's say I was a horse. Even so, it would still be hard to imagine how hard my wife rode my ass."

aljdfkajfkak the dialogue is so good

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Great timing, I've just got back on Netflix. Will watch this in a bit.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It would be pretty interesting if some of the 17bil Netflix is throwing around is funding the next season of Twin Peaks. I forget if Showtime was bullish on another uncompromising season or not.

Find your happy place Frank, find your happy place. Don't let him get to you.

fsdXW8B.gif
Why are there people like Frank?!

Last edited:

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty interesting if some of the 17bil Netflix is throwing around is funding the next season of Twin Peaks. I forget if Showtime was bullish on another uncompromising season or not.

It's very possible. Showtime seems like they've been treading water with their content for a while, like all they really have is Shameless, Billions, and Ray Donovan and I can't imagine those are paying the bills as much as they'd like. As great as The Return was, it definitely didn't do so hot ratings wise so I'm not sure how willing they'd be to give Lynch what he needs to make another season. Netflix on the other hand has the money to blow and seems eager to throw cash to any and all big name directors that will work with them. I'd be surprised if Lynch and Netflix just had a brief partnership for a single short film he made in 2016 and nothing else. There were a lot of rumors floating around about a S4 back in the Fall but it died down after a while. Fingers crossed though!

Mullholland Drive as an intro movie? To someone that talks about random?

Oct 27, 2017
Mullholland Drive as an intro movie? To someone that talks about random?

David Lynch doesn't really have "intro movies" though to be fair.

Dune, The Elephant Man, and Straight Story are the only ones that kind of meet that criteria, and they're also the only ones that are the least like "David Lynch" despite still having elements of David Lynch.

David Lynch doesn't really have "intro movies" though to be fair.

Dune, The Elephant Man, and Straight Story are the only ones that kind of meet that criteria, and they're also the only ones that are the least like "David Lynch" despite still having elements of David Lynch.
For me is Blue Velvet, it has all the parts of a movie and story in display just masked under his weiredness.