• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
So, what he said? It's not a TL,DR post, Id just rather not give clicks to a sexual harrasement apologist.
Suspect? Of what? Please be more specific. You seem to know stuff
He once gave the advice to women being sexually assaulted to start talking about comics in the hope the rapist would recognize their common humanity and stop. I would link it but it's at the old place and I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that. If you're good with Google you could probably find it easily.

Calling him suspect is massively understating it.

Oct 27, 2017
His career trajectory is really something else.

He makes a couple of okay points, nothing too insightful though honestly. His Mikami/Tango point is more wishful thinking than anything I think.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Sony's first party is generally stronger than that of MS even with the Bethesda acquisition but MS needed to play catch up and bought a well known publisher. It's going to be a harder win for Sony this time around but I don't think they need to panic and counter buy. MS is still behind.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Sony should honestly challenge this in court. Would be interesting to have Europe weigh in.
What would they challenge them with? Microsoft is no where near a monopoly in the video games space. And Sony has made their own purchases themselves.

Also Sony trying to get regulations and laws in to protect their market position is literal rent seeking.

Jan 11, 2018
Nah, Cory Barlog clearly did most of the work. Look how great every single GoW game he's involved in turns out to be. Once is a coincidence, thrice is a clear pattern.

Jaffe has mostly been in the news for embarrassing himself in some fashion. Kinda like a less prolific CliffyB.

Barlog didn't come on until well into the development of the first game. And then God of War 2 was very much an iteration of what Jaffe did with the first game. Not to mention Barlog went on the record several times with the success of God of War 2018 thanking Jaffe for creating the series.

I'm all for criticizing the man for what he deserves to be criticized for, but lets not just make stuff up cause we don't like the guy.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Telling people we should listen to racists will usually do that to your reputation yeah.

So him being a shit head takes away his body of work and view on the industry?

Got it.

Barlog didn't come on until well into the development of the first game. And then God of War 2 was very much an iteration of what Jaffe did with the first game. Not to mention Barlog went on the record several times with the success of God of War 2018 thanking Jaffe for creating the series.

I'm all for criticizing the man for what he deserves to be criticized for, but lets not just make stuff up cause we don't like the guy.

^

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
He was also behind twisted metal? Wow I didn't know.
Calling All Cars too, I actually liked Drawn To Death, but it was out at a bad time for me, and so much of it was cool like the intro of a class with a kid drawing in their notepad. Drawn To Death is like Twisted Metal with people instead of cars.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Calling All Cars too, I actually liked Drawn To Death, but it was out at a bad time for me, and so much of it was cool like the intro of a class with a kid drawing in their notepad. Drawn To Death is like Twisted Metal with people instead of cars.

The mechanics were awesome, it just needed more characters and more players on screen I think it was max of 4.

Also yea came out during a weird time when fortnite was blowing up..

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Bigotry Over Multiple Posts; Prior Severe Bans for Sexism and for Dismissing Transphobia
Would you care about what JK Rowling has to say about writing?

JK also has shitty opinions doesnt mean I wont be playing Hogwarts game. Also does not invalidate her work. Talented people can be shitty people.

I can separate the art from the persons personal/political opinions.

Also never read a harry potter book. But I enjoy that universe.

That's generally how it goes.

No one is airing The Cosby Show anymore, I'll tell you that.

They are not but Cosby still gets mentioned to his genius as a early comic.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not watching the video, but people that create stuff we like can be very stupid, and crappy. John Carmac said some weird stuff, but in a mad scientist way where he just doesn't care to tie himself to the cares of people haha, he still made and works on cool things. Elon Musk is crap, but I'm waiting to see what this battery tech he's involved with does, and I hope Starlink works out to get us away from these local ISP monopolies, and so on.

I guess it's best to realize he had experience in this monster of an industry, one where he burned out and never wanted to work on a AAA game again, but maybe talk about the other people that worked on the games too, the ones that haven't shown themselves to be creeps or biggots.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm not watching the video, but people that create stuff we like can be very stupid, and crappy. John Carmac said some weird stuff, but in a mad scientist way where he just doesn't care to tie himself to the cares of people haha, he still made and works on cool things. Elon Musk is crap, but I'm waiting to see what this battery tech he's involved with does, and I hope Starlink works out to get us away from these local ISP monopolies, and so on.

I guess it's best to realize he had experience in this monster of an industry, one where he burned out and never wanted to work on a AAA game again, but maybe talk about the other people that worked on the games too, the ones that haven't shown themselves to be creeps or biggots.

Yea, Like Cory. Who he had on his youtube show a bunch of times. I may find his political views garbage, but his insight and views on gaming industry is pretty good if sometimes out of touch on certain subjects.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
In your head and to yourself you can but wider than that, not really. Fans of the IP are being directly weaponised against trans people and their rights in the UK. She's pushing trans people to suicide through both her output and the vocal support from many fans in rebuking us and our ability to lead a peaceful life.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Cosby is a serial rapist.
I am aware. Just as I am aware that JK Rowling is a TERF promoting dangerous, deadly views and that Jaffe thinks giving racists platforms is a good thing to do.

The actual gravity and scale of what Cosby did and why he's spending the rest of his days behind bars is far an away worse than what Jaffe has done, but unlike what Papacheeks suggests, no one really talks about Cosby's early comedy career anymore. He's going to die in prison as a serial rapist and nothing more, and good riddance to that.

Jaffe is a shithead, not a criminal shithead, but one that promotes some very awful views, and in that regard, I have little reason to care that he created some good games in the distant past.

Oct 25, 2017
Since most won't watch the video, I took one for the team hah. Bolded is Jaffe's thoughts, the rest is my own. Not that is important lol.

Point 1) (Purchase of RARE means MS might force teams to death) RARE are doing fine. Sure they had a blip but they are doing fine now. Also, MS is a very different beast, so the idea that MS will loose their way and drive the Beth/Zeni teams into the group is just being negative for negative's sake.

Point 2) (Sony needing to re-arrange how they new things like Game Pass) Yup, Sony will have to re-evaluate how they approach things like Game Pass because having Skyrim/Fallout etc as Day One Game Pass offerings, is super hard to beat. Especially when they just increased the price of their 1st party games.

Point 3) (Sony needs to respond to what is happening sooner or later) I am not sure how Sony responds, other than doing something similar but they really don't have that kind of money to throw around just to "beat" MS. I think Sony are doing perfectly fine now, since they have a strong stable of 1st party games, some 3rd party exclusives, and a very loyal fanbase. The issues may only really become apparent in the coming years when Skyrim/Fallout/Doom/Starfield etc all appear Day One Game Pass only.

Point 4) (Tango and Mikami could be a bigger deal than people think)I am excited to see what Tango can do with more money/tech etc thrown at them. Could be massive for Japan, just because of Mikami. Ghostwire does look super cool and I would love to see more Evil Within. Having a Japanese team should be a solid direction for MS.

Point 5) (Sony have no WRPG's. They have FF and that's about it) Agreed. Sony has some major deficiencies when it comes to WRPG's. MS has a crazy good stable of RPG focused teams and not just ones that are very tech proficient (Playground) but now several well respected and massively creative teams. The list of creative talent is really bonkers.

Honestly Microsoft is at a point that outside of EA's , CDPR and Larian I cant think of a big WRPG studio not owned by them

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
In your head and to yourself you can but wider than that, not really. Fans of the IP are being directly weaponised against trans people and their rights in the UK. She's pushing trans people to suicide through both her output and the vocal support from many fans in rebuking trans people and their ability to lead a peaceful life.

Well thats not everyone. And not me. I dont even have active twitter nor do I even use social media. WHich is what paints targets on people.

It sucks.

But I'm not going to disregard the body of work she has had.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well thats not everyone. And not me. I dont even have active twitter nor do I even use social media. WHich is what paints targets on people.

It sucks.

But I'm not going to disregard the body of work she has had.
It doesn't just suck it erodes our rights and ends lives.

You're welcome to not disregard her work, just don't stand there and proudly state an ability to separate art and artist around something for which many don't have that privilege.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, Like Cory. Who he had on his youtube show a bunch of times. I may find his political views garbage, but his insight and views on gaming industry is pretty good if sometimes out of touch on certain subjects.
I don't know what Jaffe did, but I heard that he said something bad. Cory still give him respect when it comes to games and GOW. Cory's twitter feed is very pro people and rights, and everything that makes you feel good, yet he doesn't shy away from thanking Jaffe for his gaming contributions.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't know what Jaffe did, but I heard that he said something bad. Cory still give him respect when it comes to games and GOW. Cory's twitter feed is very pro people and rights, and everything that makes you feel good, yet he doesn't shy away from thanking Jaffe for his gaming contributions.

Listening to him talk about the combo system in GOW is awesome. DIdn't know Jaffe originally wanted it more like zelda which you can see influence wise.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Sony has over 30 billion dollars in cash they can toss towards acquisitions if they choose to, they can most definitely afford pubs like Square, Capcom, Ubisoft and more if they decide it makes sense for their business.

Just in the past couple of months they were prepared to spend over a billion on Leyou Games before Tencent stepped in and over a billion on Crunchyroll before AT&T took them off the market. We know Sony are actively shopping around for gaming acquisitions, have billions they could toss towards it and the pressure is building with the recent Zenimax acquisition and other huge players being in the running.

We'll no doubt see further expansion from Sony sooner rather than later, whatever form that will take is anyone's guess. At the very least I expect Bluepoint and Housemarque to get snatched up very soon.
Bluepoint is definitely a team I see them acquiring. A lot of talent there.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Jaffe is a dumbass.
And this is also quite the take, jfc.

JK also has shitty opinions doesnt mean I wont be playing Hogwarts game. Also does not invalidate her work. Talented people can be shitty people.

Oct 25, 2017
No one cares about David Jaffa's take on anything. Other posters have already made that point. He's still in the 90s mentally.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The guy used to get into anti-Xbox flame wars at 'the old site' while in charge of GoW. He's a total arrested development case, a literal man-child. Don't give him the clicks.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, used to be a big fan of David Jaffe, not because of the games he made, but because of how well he handled the opportunities he was given. However, I've since disregarded him as he turned out to be a super questionable person.

What bothers me about point 5 is that sony has plenty of WRPGs and they also have the majority of JRPGs. I just don't see this point being relevant.

Point 1 was relevant and the rest was kind of rambling. I think Sony does need to work on something, but as it stands, Game Pass right now is primarily older games with a few drops of big titles every few months. I think it's a steal for casual gamers that aren't buying games constantly or don't have a huge backlog. I think gamers like to own things, but as it stands I can see MS strategy working out just fine while Sony crushes it with the PS5. The strategies seem to be able to coexist for now. Sony should of course be thinking ahead.

StUnNeR H2K

Dec 1, 2017
Yukon, OK
This is 1 aspect that remains to be seen.
Halo Infinite really shows a management issue of sorts. Great decision to postpone it but if it was managed better it wouldn't have resulted in this mess. To me it seemed like a 343 upper management issues.

I know everyone points to the issue of 343, but I don't think it is mis-management from Microsoft as they have had a fairly hands of approach with studios since Phil has been in charge (in fact the mis-management, if any, could be not having hands on enough).

343 has bungled Halo since day one, and really hasn't created anything spectacular. I would say the MCC since it has improved a ton, but it launched in a garbage state. The issue with 343 is they gave the keys to one of the biggest IPs in gaming at the time to a bunch of people who had really no involvement with the franchise before hand. All the key people who built and developed Halo stayed at Bungie or had already left to go elsewhere. It would be like handing the keys for a Lamborghini to your 18 year old child who just graduated high school and expected nothing to go wrong.

I'm glad Joseph Staten is back at the studio now, and I think that was a move to get things back on track. While visually the game didn't look great, we still don't know much about the quality of multiplayer or single player story. Bethesda and the other studios will be fine, especially as long as Todd Howard stays around I don't see any issues. Even if MS tried to push Bethesda to do something stupid Todd has enough leverage to convince them otherwise. I'm excited though for the next few years to see what all these studios do with the money Microsoft has to back them and assuming they keep their hands out.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

Well, now we have both sides, just like he likes it. Yeah? My self-serving baseless alternative facts, and your allegedly credibly story.

Wouldn't it be great if we met something in the middle? That way you learn something from me, and I learn something from you.

Because the middle is a great place to be.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This whole post is just bullshit

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt realize he's such a twat. Fk him I guess.

Jun 5, 2020
Well, now we have both sides, just like he likes it. Yeah? My self-serving baseless alternative facts, and your allegedly credibly story.

Wouldn't it be great if we met something in the middle? That way you learn something from me, and I learn something from you.

Because the middle is a great place to be.
So you're admitting you just made up a bunch of bullshit because you dislike the guy?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Man. I remember Jaffe releasing vlogs like back in the beginning of the decade or something like that. Dude has not stopped I see.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
In this thread we seriously compared Jaffe to Bill Cosby? I'm all for not listening to Jaffe, even about things he probably knows about, because of what he's said. But that sort of comparison is absurd.