• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
he has such a potty mouth

deserves a spanking

if you're reading this jaffe, hit me up ;)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This the dude that likes to mill around with white supremacists on the chud forum?

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has already said they'd continue to support PS4 for a long time.
Of course it's going to be cross-gen. Most of not all the games they release for the next couple years will be cross-gen.
Sony saying they will support the PS4 for a long time is no different than what they said when the PS3 and PS4 launched, it's what they've always said and done. They have 2 games releasing in a couple months that are PS5 only with a 3rd meant to launch before July. Them supporting the PS4 for as long as they intended to do back in 2013 doesn't mean all their games are going to be cross-gen.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
EDIT
Whoops, didn't see his tweet linked too in the thread about he was just speculating.
That takes care of that then.
EDIT
I find it pretty funny how so many in here seem so sure that he doesn't know anything.
I mean do you know every single person Jaffe associates with? He worked in the Sony system and even created this very series, of course he could still be in touch with some people from there. But no, "Jaffe knows nothing!!!!"
Personally I'm completely fine with the next gow being cross console. Means I can wait longer to buy a ps5. If I bother to get it anytime soon anyways, as I didn't think it was anything special.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
We have 3 PS5 only exclusives coming out real soon. Anything that drops on PS4 this year from first party will be outlier, not norm.

Those PS5 exclusives are not even close to God of War in terms of sales potential and budget well maybe besides Gran Turismo but even that has rumors of PS4 version. You need install base to sell your games and PS5 install base in the first year will not be high enough to support the budget of those huge AAA games which is the main reason why Horizon is also on PS4. I can only see GoW being ps5 only if it's something like Miles made with PS5 in mind.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising really. Isisnt Forbidden West gonna be cross gen? I know nothing is confirmed but I would be shocked if Sony left A new GOW and Horzion of their current massive install base.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Don't care if it is Cross-Gen or not. It will be a continuation of the 2018 title with updated engine. The PS5 Version will be fine.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Those PS5 exclusives are not even close to God of War in terms of sales potential and budget well maybe besides Gran Turismo but even that has rumors of PS4 version. You need install base to sell your games and PS5 install base in the first year will not be high enough to support the budget of those huge AAA games which is the main reason why Horizon is also on PS4.
On the flip side of the argument, GoW has most potential to push large amounts of PS5 and create its own install base as it sells, kinda like BotW which launched with ZERO Switches and sold 10M in a year. The smaller titles need to be cross-gen to sell more, and yet they're not. Which tells me its not about install base, and it has never been about install base for first party games. If your game development started on PS4 and has significant progress, it'll have a PS4 version, otherwise nope.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT
Whoops, didn't see his tweet linked too in the thread about he was just speculating.
That takes care of that then.
EDIT
I find it pretty funny how so many in here seem so sure that he doesn't know anything.
I mean do you know every single person Jaffe associates with? He worked in the Sony system and even created this very series, of course he could still be in touch with some people from there. But no, "Jaffe knows nothing!!!!"
Personally I'm completely fine with the next gow being cross console. Means I can wait longer to buy a ps5. If I bother to get it anytime soon anyways, as I didn't think it was anything special.

Uhhh he tweeted that he has zero knowledge on if it's cross gen or not and is giving his opinion on what Jim Ryan said...

Edit: saw your edit

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise - Horizon,RE8, Spiderman, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy XVI.... a bunch of titles that are likely gonna be on PS4 as well or are already confirmed for it.

God of War became the sales hit its if 4,5 years into the PS4 generation on a big install base - do people really think that sales gonna come anywhere close if its a year 1 PS5 exclusive.

Then again...time will tell.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1. Stop platforming Jaffa, he's a dipshit and he doesn't know anything
2. Aren't OPs supposed to have more than just a tweet?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I expect it to. Ryan has hinted more games will be cross gen. But Jaffe knows nothing and his past toxicity doesn't really warrant any threads about his opinions imho.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
He's said on Twitter he has no private info. Why are people trying to make it seem like he's pretending he has inside knowledge?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
With how Ghost of Tsushima, TLOUII and Miles Morales turned out, I'm not upset by this at all.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not the end of the world but I'd rather it wasn't.
Actually, Ragnarok is literally the end of the world.

OGC.b3a43171e066eed7ddbc77a9258220ca

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't surprise me the least bit. And it would also be less concerning as a cross-gen title than Horizon is to me. Horizon I'm afraid will be hamstrung by last-gen, whereas GoW doesn't seem to have the scope that would make it much of a problem.

Oct 27, 2017
This wouldn't surprise me the least bit. And it would also be less concerning as a cross-gen title than Horizon is to me. Horizon I'm afraid will be hamstrung by last-gen, whereas GoW doesn't seem to have the scope that would make it much of a problem.
That doesn't seem like a conclusion anyone can draw considering we've seen very little of Horizon and nothing of God of War.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I'm just assuming it is cross-gen so I can be pleasantly surprised if it isn't lol.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't seem like a conclusion anyone can draw considering we've seen very little of Horizon and nothing of God of War.
It's not. Just assumptions based on the first games. GoW's metroidvania style with mostly branching corridors and not a lot of huge areas just doesn't seem like something that PS5's hardware can make substantially better. I could definitely be wrong; who knows. Whereas we know that open world games are designed around the limitations of HDDs, and designing around an SSD can change it up in meaningful ways. Even Guerilla mentioned how they wanted flying mounts in Horizon Zero Dawn but couldn't do it with HDD limitations.

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Demon's Souls I don't think any of those games are expected to sell 5 million+ at launch like GoW is. Game audience is currently limited by console production capacity.
I doubt Sony would expect a 5 million launch for God of War if it was PS5 only and releasing this year, they would have more realistic expectations.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I doubt Sony would expect a 5 million launch for God of War if it was PS5 only and releasing this year, they would have more realistic expectations.

As a publicly traded company, rather than pare back expectations, they would just find a way to release the game on PS4 so they can easily match the sales of the previous title.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Given this is based on no insider knowledge, we're locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.