• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
The fundamentalist, obtuse, dogmatic misunderstanding of a philo-political idea from three hundred years ago.. Durrrr muh free speech!

Maddison and the rest were thinking of protecting the individual from an oppressive government not your right to expose your limp dick hate projection on the Internet and force people to have to listen to it.

Clinging to THE WRONG INTERPRETATION an idea from centuries ago like it's' always been true and always will be is the sign of a shallow incurious mind and smacks of religious "universal truth" .. Y'know, like owning women and slaves.

This is leaving aside the fact that alt-righters and their enablers don't actually believe in free speech and are just using it as a rhetorical cudgel for their bad faith arguments because they know their opponents have some shred of integrity and they hate them soooo much for that.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Didn't see if this was posted here yet.

He starts by saying he wouldn't date a transgender woman simply for the fact she was once a man biologically (no other reason). Then goes to say "If I don't want to date a black woman, I'm a racist? If I don't want to date an Irish woman I'm anti-Irish?" Completely missing the point that yes, if you don't want to date a black woman because she is black, you are racist. And if you don't want to date a transgender woman because she is transgender you are transphobic.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
But we have to tolerate a certain amount of intolerance. Trump and Brexit have shown that significant portions of our populations must hold fairly intolerant views. We're not going to get rid of that.

The question is where do you set the bar for what is tolerable? In that tweet Jaffe seems to think it should be set to exclude anything that promotes violence, which seems reasonable. Trying to set the bar higher than that puts you in very murky waters.
Friendly remainder that a ton of countries, way more civil and peaceful than America, do have actual hate speech laws and it hasn't lead to any horrible tragedy or anything.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

He starts by saying he wouldn't date a transgender woman simply for the fact she was once a man biologically (no other reason). Then goes to say "If I don't want to date a black woman, I'm a racist? If I don't want to date an Irish woman I'm anti-Irish?" Completely missing the point that yes, if you don't want to date a black woman because she is black, you are racist. And if you don't want to date a transgender woman because she is transgender you are transphobic.

jesus christ

he's literally trying to be one of those shitheel alt right channels without gaining any following first

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Is there anything to suggest that having or promoting a white ethnostate will NOT lead to violence or persecution or i dont know, simply mistreating your fellow man as less than a human being?

I mean, does it lead to violence every time someone suggests the idea of a white ethnostate? I'm sure people express those views all the time and nothing comes of it.

If the ideas being promoted don't catch on, because we have a sufficiently educated population with the critical thinking skills necessary to dismiss them, then no they won't lead to violence.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What a genuinely stupid, sad, little man.

giphy.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean, does it lead to violence every time someone suggests the idea of a white ethnostate? I'm sure people express those views all the time and nothing comes of it.

If the ideas being promoted don't catch on, because we have a sufficiently educated population with the critical thinking skills necessary to dismiss them, then no they won't lead to violence.
but if promoting a white ethnostate succeeds...?

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel as of this point this topic should be moved to the other side of this forum. This really has nothing to do with video games other than the guy making these comments once made video games.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
But we have to tolerate a certain amount of intolerance. Trump and Brexit have shown that significant portions of our populations must hold fairly intolerant views. We're not going to get rid of that.

The question is where do you set the bar for what is tolerable? In that tweet Jaffe seems to think it should be set to exclude anything that promotes violence, which seems reasonable. Trying to set the bar higher than that puts you in very murky waters.

Acting like implied violence isn't INHERENT to white supremacist, alt-right, nazi, and fascist viewpoints is not only naive and ignorant, but legitimately dangerous.

"Jews will not replace us" is JUST as violent as "kill all Jews", regardless of what semantic lines guarded little Centrists want to draw in the sand. This whole "can't we all just be civil again???" routine only works on people who aren't being actively oppressed and refuse to acknowledge that others are.

Drawing the line at literally calling for violence in plain text is choosing to play games with hate, rather than to punish it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Just because there is an underlying segment of western society that are racist or hold views that are based in lies and racism, doesnt mean we need to tolerate right wing hate preachers.

They way you tackle that is with better education and most importantly, better politicians. We cant continue to allow right wing parties to dog whistle away and drum up support for ideas and platforms that will inevitably be racist.

That is how we try to mend society, not by allowing people like Milo have a platform to spew hate and then trying to debate them when all evidence and history has shown that simply doesnt work.

If anyone has that pre WW2 news article of some centrist saying the Nazis should be debated and tolerated so they wont hurt the Jews that would be really helpful at this point.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

The fuck is Alanah Pearce (Rooster Teeth) on about in that top reply?

EDIT: I understand what she meant now, she was calling Jaffe's video clickbait alt-right trash, perfect for Youtube's algorithm. Good on her.

Last edited:

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Let it fester and you get something like the Unite the Right riot that happened back a year ago.

c85404b96b2c45eda53938a6b38b453f_18.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Looks like he, Layman Gaming, Shirrako, Robin Gaming and Boogie2988 are birb of similar feather.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I think some people shouldn't be on social media. They don't make themselves nor the community they represent look favorable. Michael Richards (Kramer) destroyed his Legacy on Seinfeld, and in the process damaged the brand he helped create with his rants and use of the "N" word. Not saying Jaffe has done any of this, but he's walking a very fine line whenever he's on camera or makes statements; and his opinions are unfiltered (always has been I guess). Yet the current conditions of identity crucifixion of any celebrity/public figure (minus our f'n Cheeto faced president) make for a land mine ridden climate that sadly destroys careers and spreads like wildfire when these individuals misstep. Quit while your ahead good sir. Get back to making things, be content being a creator and ignore the noise of few and concentrate on the support of the silent many.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect his next tweet to be something like "Why isn't there white entertainment television? Or white history month??"

That's the level he's arguing at now. I'm not sure why he's choosing to die on this fucking hill of all things. Shock value to get more viewers?

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus Christ..

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus christ this fucking guy. And the hilarity that he has the gall to say ''I'm actually totally on the left side, in fact I agree with the people from resetera on a lot of things'' on his stream while also spouting this bullshit.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

That's like saying that smoking doesn't always causes cancer, so why can't Philip Morris advertise their products in schools? After all, if kids are well educated they won't start smoking anyway, right?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017

Mercifully not. Minorities and white people who don't believe in such racist bs usually have long rope to use on racist f*cks like David Jaffe. Usually they try, appeal to decency (which Jaffe constantly ignores) first then public condemnation on that person (which we and twitter are doing now). Job and peer pressure possibly next . . . . its a long way to violence to the point that shitty people tend to take advantage of it.

Also you have to be living in an alt-right echo chamber, if you think advocating for a white ethnostate doesn't get called-out for the bs that it is.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

Hitler also showed that significant portions of the population hold intolerant views. Spoiler: it didn't end well. But lets enable the 'civil discourse' of racism, homophobia and misogyny. It seems reasonable, you say. What could go wrong if it's only words!
What it really seems is that some of you have no idea who Milo is. And you are just enabling hate with these posts.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Coming at this with no idea who the guy is and what history the forum has with him - one glance at his Twitter header and a full minute of his video and I can't work out why there's a 30+ page thread about just another ragey Youtube guy with copy paste opinions and rhetoric.

E:
Fuck. The entire script is 10 a penny on Youtube.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Coming at this with no idea who the guy is and what history the forum has with him - one glance at his Twitter header and a full minute of his video and I can't work out why there's a 30+ page thread about just another ragey Youtube guy with copy paste opinions and rhetoric.
David Jaffe - director of the original God of War, designer of Twisted Metal and other games.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed so. I'm not a game developer but I am a developer. The feeling when people shit all over your code, sometimes unjustly, stings. We on this forum are very quick to bitch about minor things or dismiss an entire game. Pretty sure a lot of developers hate this forum because its toxic to their well being.
bwuh? that happens literally everywhere. people, including devs, don't hate ERA because its users are sooo mean to the poor game developers. people hate ERA because its users are slightly less bigoted than everyone else in the gamig community.

EDIT: also, banning people for going "you're all meanies and bullies!!" is so fucking stupid. like, i disagree with those posts, but still, wtf are the mods doing

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Unironically supporting unconditional right to free platform to garner audiences in a post alex jones banned from most big places world. Not sure how you can be this dumb. Look at the fucking results morons of when you let these loonies say whatever they want vs how non damaging and massively more irrelevant they become if you take their platforms away.
If you are actually concerned with the outcomes stop making stupid arguments that you have to preface with some version "I'm actually a good guy but...".

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Straight white guy: Hey minorities and LGBTQ, I'm actually pretty left wing and a friend!

Also straight white guy: Hey minorities and LGBTQ, I'm going to defend the rights of neonazis when they call for your extermination!

I feel like this is a playbook or something now

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I feel as of this point this topic should be moved to the other side of this forum. This really has nothing to do with video games other than the guy making these comments once made video games.

That is enough reason to keep it on this side. He is a personality tied exclusively to gaming. If you're not interested in this thread, you can mute it, but we're allowed to discuss social and political things on this side too as long as it's related to gaming/the industry/the culture.

E:
Fuck. The entire script is 10 a penny on Youtube.
and clearly wants to make a name for himself doing this instead. So if the Milo stuff is deplatforming, what are we doing here again?

Ignoring problematic people and viewpoints is the exact opposite of deplatforming.

Milo and people like him were ignored for far too long. The only reason he was ever deplatformed was because people started talking about him. Loudly. Exposing and expressing why he and his views are dangerous and destructive to modern society.

Jaffe is no Milo, but he is worthy of discussion on this, you know, discussion forum.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This discussion has gotten a little unreasonable for my tastes, so I'm going to bow out.

I am absolutely SHOCKED you ignored other posters and cut paragraphs of counterpoints to cherry pick a couple lines to call unreasonable and then disappear like a fart in the wind. Almost like you weren't looking for a discussion at all.

Shocked I tell you.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Jaffe has said so many stupid things which I don't agree with like this, someone with hateful ideas should never get a platform because they might convert people who are lost or just don't have any opinion one way or another. This however, sexual affection is not something a person can control. If someone is turned off because the nose is too big/small or if his penis or too small or her breasts are too big then I do understand them. Same goes with anything, love is one of the only instinct we can't turn off.
If someone respect a person for whoever they are, then that's good enough, no need to turn it into an affection thing.

However I won't go out and say what I don't find attractive out loud, because my mind can change if everything else is so good then that small little thing might become a non issue.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

The way I like to explain this is to start with:

You want to have sex with a woman.

*until* you find out she used to be a man.
*until* you find out her parents are mixed race.

The first is clearly transphobic. The second is clearly racist.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am absolutely SHOCKED you ignored other posters and cut paragraphs of counterpoints to cherry pick a couple lines to call unreasonable and then disappear like a fart in the wind. Almost like you weren't looking for a discussion at all.

Shocked I tell you.

Definitely an Era first.

I can just say dumb things and back away with my tail between my legs when I'm unable to defend my own stupidity? This changes everything.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Jaffe has said so many stupid things which I don't agree with like this, someone with hateful ideas should never get a platform because they might convert people who are lost or just don't have any opinion one way or another. This however, sexual affection is not something a person can control. If someone is turned off because the nose is too big/small or if his penis or too small or her breasts are too big then I do understand them. Same goes with anything, love is one of the only instinct we can't turn off.
If someone respect a person for whoever they are, then that's good enough, no need to turn it into an affection thing.

However I won't go out and say what I don't find attractive out loud, because my mind can change if everything else is so good then that small little thing might become a non issue.

Here is what he says in the video (emphasis mine):

"When I first saw - I knew she was a transwoman - but when I first saw the woman that was on Supergirl this season - what's her name? [...] Nicole. So, I first saw her on stage at ComiCon, [...] I don't think I could avoid the fact that I knew she once had been a guy 'cause that was the big headline, but I remember talking about it on stream and saying 'Holy shit!'; if I didn't know that had been a man at some point, or at least they were born a man and always identified as a woman (I totally respect the trans community), I'd say: 'Holy shit, she is really fucking cute! She gives Melissa Benoist a run for her money!' But then I was like 'Oh, that was once a man,' I lost all interest. [...] To hook up with a woman that is a woman now that once had a penis, I can't square that in my brain, it's not compelling to me, I lose all interest."

He finds the woman cute, beautiful even. But he would never date her because she, once, used to be a man. Maybe it's the fact I'm pansexual, but that's a terrible reason to not want to date someone.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Essentially, the problem is that you're willing to make love to a woman until finding out she's trans. Your judgement hinges entirely on the circumstances of their birth rather than actual actual aspects of them.

Journey

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Racism; junior phase account

This is so wrong, I'm not interested in dating a black woman and some other cultures that I don't have a preference for, doesn't mean I'm racist towards any of those cultures. I have a thing for Asian women, but that comes down to my taste and has nothing to do with anything they do or don't do or me believing they ar e better than anyone else, nor am I Asian.

A preference to date someone is very personal, not wanting to date a transgender is VERY different from hanging out or being friends. Now if you don't want to be friends or deal with this person in any way, or you try to avoid, then I would say you're transphobic, I mean whats next? If I don't want to eat a burger it means I have a food disorder?

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The last good game this guy made was Twisted Metal 2. It would be great if he just faded into obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.