• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The first book was great, the second one was crap. Third was better but not quite as good as the first one. Looking forward!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
The pieces about the PRC during the Cultural Revolution were my favorite part of the first book and why I skipped the rest of the series. I wonder if there's any decent subtitled or adapter work exploring that period in television already, I can't think of anything that really delves into contemporary Chinese history in the Western media.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The pieces about the PRC during the Cultural Revolution were my favorite part of the first book and why I skipped the rest of the series. I wonder if there's any decent subtitled or adapter work exploring that period in television already, I can't think of anything that really delves into contemporary Chinese history in the Western media.

The Last Emperor?

Edit: Oh. You said Western TV.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Amazon was doing this for Prime?

Really excited to see what comes of this because it is my favorite sci-fi trilogy. It needs budget and immense scale to be effective though. Maybe prohibitively large budget.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Fair play to Netflix, after much laughter at the amount they paid these two (rumoured to have a slate with no genre projects on it) this is exactly the sort of 'big swing' that they were brought on the platform board for.

This is obviously a partial play to gain more ground in the Asian market (even thought they don't operate in China) but the talent attached (and I'm sure with a MASSIVE budget) shows that they aren't going for any half measures.

I'm definitely interested in this.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Can you elaborate? Your favorite part of the first but made you skip the rest of the series?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it actually being made, otherwise it can easily end up like Culture and fall through at some point. I wonder if they will still get into the rights issue with the Chinese companies that are adapting the books.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The novels are incredibly poorly written (or at least translated) but there are some very cool ideas in there.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Considering I've been looking for book recommendations lately, I've never heard of this trilogy. How high on the list should it be?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm reading some conflicting things about the book trilogy in this thread.
Some say it's one of the best sci-fi series with unique ideas, others say it's really poorly written and sexist?

I've been interested in this trilogy before and was looking to pick it up but I don't necessarily want to drag myself through a series that has bad characterization or is sexist. Is this series worth it to read?

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna hate on D&D so much, but this is an interesting property with some interesting folks behind it, and those those eary seasons of Game is Thrones really were top tier. So maybe I can hope.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I really disliked the first book (dropped the series after that). It's a collection of confusing to neat ideas (the author really doesn't know how videogames work) propped up by really dry writing, boring inexpressive characters and sexism (which I've heard gets worse as the series goes on). Hopefully the TV show improves upon the characterization because I couldn't get invested in those cardboard cutouts at all. I get it's supposed to be a more "classic" variety of concept/idea-focused SF but it didn't work for me AT ALL.

Sep 7, 2018
Seems like a really bad match for D&D. I doubt they will be able to deliver as writers. They might be ok for showrunners, but it is nearly impossible for me to see them succeed as writers.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first book well enough. Really like the second. Haven't read the third.

Not sure how well they will translate to a TV series though. They're kind of all over the place in terms of an overarching story.

Oct 27, 2017
is it just me or do these guys announce shit all the time but havent actually made anything since got?

this project, that horribly ill conceived show about the confederates winning the war, star wars, a movie about hp lovecraft. they are getting that money i guess

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Impossible for them to do this justice based on the scope of the series and their track record. IF they are gonna half ass it they better not do it at all...

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best bits of GOT were pulled directly from GRRM's dialogue and characterization, can't wait to see what they do with a poorly written novel with threadbare characters.

Oct 28, 2017
is it just me or do these guys announce shit all the time but havent actually made anything since got?

this project, that horribly ill conceived show about the confederates winning the war, star wars, a movie about hp lovecraft. they are getting that money i guess

Yeah, projects dying early is normal in Hollywood, but at some point it becomes a pattern.
Of course it hasn't been that long since GoT ended (though it kind of feels that way), but if they can't leverage their fame into a new series that actually gets made now I wonder if we'll ever see another D&D show

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I wonder if they will be the sole writers lie in Got?

the books are done so at least there's that, they were able to adapt the GoT books really well for the most part for 4 seasons, but they still need more people in the writers room.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Era's gonna implode not being able to choose if they will hate it because of D&D or love it because of Johnson. Real life Buridan's ass moment.
I mean, all of game of thrones was poorly written, but had some brilliantly directed moments. you can separate the two. If that's how duties end up splitting up. Maybe Rian will be able to save the dastardly duo from ruining another franchise. Who knows!?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, projects dying early is normal in Hollywood, but at some point it becomes a pattern.
Of course it hasn't been that long since GoT ended (though it kind of feels that way), but if they can't leverage their fame into a new series that actually gets made now I wonder if we'll ever see another D&D show
It's only been two things, right?

They had that Confederacy show that HBO was gonna go ahead with but then they change their minds 'cus of the backlash they got. Then they were gonna do Star Wars, which was 100% gonna happen, until they decided to leave the project.

This project will be the first since their huge Netflix deal.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Excited. I love that non-Western sci-fi is getting attention. Hopefully it turns out well. GoT was at its best, and some of the finest TV if the decade, when it had the rails of the books to work with so I'm optimistic.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Even as I was reading The Three-Body Problem, I was thinking that it could make a great show. ...But Benioff and Weiss? I'll definitely give it a shot, but I'm not expecting to love it.

Will probably be fine since this is a completely written book series. They can adapt the shit out of good existing material just fine. They just can't write good original stuff when the source material dries up.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading some conflicting things about the book trilogy in this thread.
Some say it's one of the best sci-fi series with unique ideas, others say it's really poorly written and sexist?

I've been interested in this trilogy before and was looking to pick it up but I don't necessarily want to drag myself through a series that has bad characterization or is sexist. Is this series worth it to read?

The English translation at least is not a masterpiece of prose, for sure. It's not awful either. The books are more about exploring ideas and concepts than a traditional plot and characters. In a way that's probably a good thing for this show lol.

But yes, this will need tons of money especially later on.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm both super stoked and extremely anxious about this. This trilogy is the best thing I've ever read. But this is going to be whitewashed for sure, and part of the interesting bits of these books is that it's from a Chinese POV.

Also, I absolutely adore Netflix. But I would've much rather this would've been done by some big Hollywood Studio (if it's going to get whitewashed regardless) or something like HBO. Netflix makes great stuff but their stuff never transcends to be a true classic. Which is something the source material deserves.

edit: lol

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck, can't see it ending up in anything that's not a trainwreck but I want to believe

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am excited for this, though I don't trust D&D's general decision making. The problem with GoT wasn't just the later seasons. They were making poor adaptation decisions for a while.
The best bits of GOT were pulled directly from GRRM's dialogue and characterization, can't wait to see what they do with a poorly written novel with threadbare characters.
I think the books do more than enough to set up the general archetypes of characters, though. Da Shi is literally a hard boiled smoking detective, Luo Ji is an underachieving genius/savior(?), there are like 5 different types of general archetypes, etc.
The English translation at least is not a masterpiece of prose, for sure. It's not awful either. The books are more about exploring ideas and concepts than a traditional plot and characters. In a way that's probably a good thing for this show lol.

But yes, this will need tons of money especially later on.
Yeah, the translation, I feel, it what hurts it sometimes. It sometimes feels amateur in the way it translates/uses similes and metaphors in extremely obvious/on-the-nose ways.

Re: sexism, I am not through the third book yet, but the entire "Luo Ji Dream Girl" C plot was so cringey, I am still wondering if I missed something. Otherwise, I haven't really felt many standout instances of sexism.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Will probably be fine since this is a completely written book series. They can adapt the shit out of good existing material just fine. They just can't write good original stuff when the source material dries up.

I mean, no, that just isn't true. Their adaptational failures and lack of foresight were the reason they had to nix so many crucial ASOIAF plotlines, leading to the nonsensical mess of GoT's endgame. And the source material didn't really "dry up"; they chose to scrap 2,000 pages of source material in their rush toward said endgame -- despite HBO's protests for more seasons.

Familiarize yourself with Game of Thrones' production and one trend quickly becomes apparent: the show was a success largely despite D&D's constant expensive fuck-ups and total inexperience, not because of them. They frequently demonstrated less knowledge of the books than even the actors at various 'cons.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I mean, no, that just isn't true. Their adaptational failures and lack of foresight were the reason they had to nix so many crucial ASOIAF plotlines, leading to the nonsensical mess of GoT's endgame. And the source material didn't really "dry up"; they chose to scrap 2,000 pages of source material in their rush toward said endgame -- despite HBO's protests for more seasons.

Familiarize yourself with Game of Thrones' production and one trend quickly becomes apparent: the show was a success largely despite D&D's constant expensive fuck-ups and total inexperience, not because of them. They frequently demonstrated less knowledge of the books than even the actors at various 'cons.

Yeah, this. They didn't get GRRM's characters, his message or themes. These are the guys who famously said and I quote 'Themes are for 8th grade book reports'. Characters completely differed from book to show even in the early seasons.

If people are expecting a good adaptation of a book, with D&D at the helm you are not going to get it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. They didn't get GRRM's characters, his message or themes. These are the guys who famously said and I quote 'Themes are for 8th grade book reports'. Characters completely differed from book to show even in the early seasons.

If people are expecting a good adaptation of a book, with D&D at the helm you are not going to get it.

That infamous quote shows just how much of their education and opportunities were afforded to them because they're white boys with trust funds (in Benioff's case, the son of the former head of Goldman Sachs), rather than because of talent.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
That Book 3 adaptation is going to be rough as hell considering it's borderline sexist. Benioff & Weiss don't have the best track record on this front either so I might dip after they finish adapting the second book.
That's a shame to hear. I dropped Dark Forest because of how women suddenly weren't part of the story when they were very present in the first book.

This trilogy is the best thing I've ever written.
:o