• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I was hoping they'd go on stage and shit talk an entitled fanbase for an hour to a chorus of boos. Any type of Q&A was going to be embarrassing hot take central.

GoT fanbase got way too embarrassing at the end regardless of the quality of the show.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a few in this very thread with variations of people wanting to ask them difficult questions to paint them into a corner and they shouldn't have to deal with that.
Your own assertion of "the show is over, move on. No one is entitled to an explanation" is also implying that writers/directors/showrunners should be free from any discussion as once a show has aired then we [fans] should move on.

I'm sure some want a public shaming [walking them naked through the streets with someone following them with a bell?] but the vast majority of fans of the show who watched the quality drop over season 8 (i don't see the problem with season 7 in isolation, but in context it was the start of the decline) would like to opportunities to discuss it, not just the cookie cutter responses in magazines or their woeful own explanation show following each episodes. I mean even their own explanation show pulled the final episode which covered the finale because even they must have known some of their choices were questionable.
If these show runners and cast members are holding these panels why can't people ask questions? Or should even they get over it and move on since the show is over?

If they hadn't received death threats i'd be surprised since you just need to fart the wrong direction and you get them on Twitter, although i do question the sincerity of some like "just die" etc, but still not right at all nobody should have to face real or childish threats
While I do agree that it's nice if creators respected their fans and offer explanations, at some point artistic choice is artistic choice and there's nothing else anyone can really do about it. At most, they would shrug their shoulders and say, "this is the way we felt it should end". People are free to call them hack writers, but fans have to cut their loss at some point and realize that they're not going to get anything out of this. Given the response they've received, I'm sure D&D heard everything loud and clear already.

With that said, I'm not sure why they would've agreed to this to begin with.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Imagine the hate after they will screw up SW even more than now.

nfw2fi0.gif
I don't think that's going to be my reaction for when that happens. More like a sad facepalming expression.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"Mad Queen Dany" could be a theory D&D co-opted onto their show to get to the ending as quick as possible. Like there was no build up, nothing. She hears some bells, goes mad and then burns down KL. Mad Queen Dany started and ended in one episode - an easy solution to kill off the character and end her story.

I don't think that's GRRM's take on the character because that would make his story entirely nihilistic - the moral being that people cannot grow beyond what bigoted society thinks of them. Dany could not escape her father's fate, despite being a far better person, ended up going mad because of genes and that's it. Bastard Jon was a traitor - precisely what Westeros said he would be because bastards are born of lust and hence traitorous. He too cannot escape his birth. Arya thought she would never fit in because she was a lady and she did not. She had to leave Westeros. Sansa betrayed her family to become queen in book one and she ends up being queen by again betraying her brother.

That's just not the story GRRM is telling IMO. Jon himself is going to be a fundamentally different character in book 6 - more or less a fire wight. Arya will be a master politician adept in languages and poisons. Book Bran is an entirely different, central character and the prince/lord of winterfell. Dany will no doubt burn KL, kill thousands and then get redemption up North - she has a lot of parallels to Stannis. And above all the primary antagonist in the books is the Others - not stupid Cersei.

The show itself hinted at this ending in the house of the undying vision that Dany sees in season 2. She first sees a burned down throne room, then hears the cry from beyond the wall and goes there to the afterlife with Dhrogo and the child. Somewhere D&D changed the order probably to have Lena Headey/Cersei stick around longer after rushing and finishing off the WW/AOTD story in one episode.

Prophecies like 'Nissa-Nissa' is still a thing in the book - where the PTWP sticks a sword into the person he loves and forges lightbringer. It's very possible that Jon does kill Dany similarly - but for a different reason and Dany willingly makes the sacrifice to defeat the Others.

On the show, they discarded all the prophecies, mythology, legends everything and finished off the central premise of the books - the AOTD - halfway through the season. Then they decided to focus on Cersei as the big bad and once again the game of thrones. Basically the entire story changes after that and Jon has to kill Dany for entirely different reasons...
The fact you think the Mad Queen Dany plotline took place in a single episode and wasn't forshadowed all season long and even hinted at in previous seasons shows me just how far apart we are from agreeing or finding common ground. So like I said before. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah let's blame the showrunners for this cancellation instead of the millions and millions of raging, entitled whiny assholes on the internet who want to role play as Tom Cruise from A Few Good Men.
👏👏👏👏👏 Well said. No wonder they didn't want to perform. No one would.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
HBO was willing to give them 2-3 more full length seasons to wrap it up properly.

They chose to move on and make a Star War instead. It was not a matter of them doing what they could with what they had.

They had the number of episodes they wanted to make well before they were asked to do Star Wars. The two things were not related.

The first time they announced GoT would end around 70 episodes was in May 2015. TFA wasn't released until December. B&W announced their Confederate show in 2017, they probably hadn't agreed to do Star Wars until after that controversy.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
They had the number of episodes they wanted to make well before they were asked to do Star Wars. The two things were not related.

The first time they announced GoT would end around 70 episodes was in May 2015. TFA wasn't released until December. B&W announced their Confederate show in 2017, they probably hadn't agreed to do Star Wars until after that controversy.

YsokEGA.png

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree that personal insults and demanding an explanation for the ending, leaps of logic like blaming the showrunners because some antisocial fans were following Coster Waldau around getting a coffee, slamming their 'egos' because they want to work on Star Wars, well not a more calm way to take in the aftermath of a popular TV show. Sure these examples not death threats but to be honest, it's hardly flattering.
Honestly I agree with you about the coster waldau incident and think that's a far better example to use. But using some curse words on an internet forum and thinking the writers should give an explanation as to what happened doesnt really come close to any kind of behavior i would consider worrisome.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah let's blame the showrunners for this cancellation instead of the millions and millions of raging, entitled whiny assholes on the internet who want to role play as Tom Cruise from A Few Good Men.
Oh the audacity of having a q and a with the showrunners for the final season of the most popular tv show in the world at a popular culuture convention

Oh how will the rich white men continue to survive after being asked questions about a tv show. They must be protected from the savagery of nerds dressed as the khaleesi

Please miss me with this shit

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Oh the audacity of having a q and a with the showrunners for the final season of the most popular tv show in the world at a popular culuture convention

Oh how will the rich white men continue to survive after being asked questions about a tv show. They must be protected from the savagery of nerds dressed as the khaleesi

Please miss me with this shit

My bad. I didn't realize they deserved a bunch of whiny babies screaming at them because they were white dudes. Carry on.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God they cancelled.
They're better off, forget entertaining the angry nerds crying about "u kil muh khaleesi! prepur 2 die".

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My bad. I didn't realize they deserved a bunch of whiny babies screaming at them because they were white dudes. Carry on.
Have you ever actually seen a comic con panel or are you just imagining a horde of people just jumping on to the stage and screaming in their faces

Only white dudes would think shit like Confederate are good idea

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This thread really is sticking to made up narrative that "crazed fanboiiis would be just lurking in bushes with baseball bats and shitty questions to hurt D&D anyways and nothing else" huh?

Even if we take step back and just say argument is that writers / showrunners shouldn't need to face any Q&A about their productions from their fans then why to have any panels like this for fans? For anything, ever if writers are beyond reproach?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This thread really is sticking to made up narrative that "crazed fanboiiis would be just lurking in bushes with baseball bats and shitty questions to hurt D&D anyways and nothing else" huh?

Even if we take step back and just say argument is that writers / showrunners shouldn't need to face any Q&A about their productions from their fans then why to have any panels like this for fans? For anything, ever if writers are beyond reproach?
I don't get your point.
You think asking questions at a panel is the same as lobbing criticism and or shooting expletive?
It's not supposed to be an exam or an inquisition or something.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017

Panels like this exist to market the product and stroke the egos of the people responsible. There's no more product to market and the egos weren't going to be done any favors.

The panel never made sense to announce in the first place because of these reasons. Somebody must have really thought the bubble of people who hated this season loudly on social media didn't cross over with the likely attendees of SDCC, and that's an astonishingly poor read of the situation.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get your point.
You think asking questions at a panel is the same as lobbing criticism and or shooting expletive?
It's not supposed to be an exam or an inquisition or something.
It's a post-mortem Q&A for a entertainment product people paid money for. People, who are also paying to be at Comic-Con, are well within their rights to ask them whatever they want as long as they aren't rude about it.

"Did you watch X-Men: The Last Stand and think that would be a great way to end the Jon/Dany storyline?" would be kind of rude.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's a post-mortem Q&A for a entertainment product people paid money for. People, who are also paying to be at Comic-Con, are well within their rights to ask them whatever they want as long as they aren't rude about it.

"Did you watch X-Men: The Last Stand and think that would be a great way to end the Jon/Dany storyline?" would be kind of rude.
Yes, exactly.
I don't know why anyone think these panels are the place that entertainment figures should face criticism.
Kinda like e3 when you have audience asking questions.
Like I'm sure the "Is this a joke?" from Diablo mobile is fun and all but I don't think anyone expects a q&a panel on the people who made GoT to just be about people bitching about the end.
Seriously it's not why the panel was set up.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can think of many things I'd rather do than sit in a sweaty room with a bunch of Thrones fans, so I don't really blame them.
As for the backlash, let the angry mob of entitled twats shriek into the void. It's just a fucking TV show.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can think of many things I'd rather do than sit in a sweaty room with a bunch of Thrones fans, so I don't really blame them.
As for the backlash, let the angry mob of entitled twats shriek into the void. It's just a fucking TV show.
90% of the discussions on this forum can be boiled down to "it's just a tv show/movie/video game". Bringing this up because there is a large amount of criticisms being levied at one of the biggest shows of all time ever is beyond silly, here of all places. Its a nothing statement that's dismissive of any conversation revolving around criticism.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
90% of the discussions on this forum can be boiled down to "it's just a tv show/movie/video game". Bringing this up because there is a large amount of criticisms being levied at one of the biggest shows of all time ever is beyond silly, here of all places. Its a nothing statement that's dismissive of any conversation revolving around criticism.
If these guys are getting legit death threats and/or are being subjected to constant personal attacks because people don't like their handling of a TV show about dragons and zombies, then yes, it is entirely appropriate to inject some basic perspective into the discussion. I will happily dismiss any and all criticisms of a work of fiction before being okay with actual human beings getting attacked over it.

Ok?

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
People should be dismissive of what passes as criticism in many of these discussions. It's a lot of people making shitty comments and continuing to act like either 1) they're still owed something, or 2) something needs to happen so that writers are "held accountable".

It's insane. It's insane that someone told you a story, and you didn't like it, and your reaction to that is thinking that someone needs to be "held accountable". It's people telling stories! No crime was committed. It's people making up dragon stories to entertain people, and they came up short. That is not an offense that needs to be dwelled upon and repeatedly relitigated.

Do you people act like this with friends and family? Like, if your cousin tells you a joke, and you don't think it's funny, do you walk around acting like you're owed an apology?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
At this point I'd be more interested in listening to a panel of show runners/producers/writers discuss their personal views of GOT season 8 and what lessons they took from it. The GOT cast and D&D have already been racked over the coals, there isn't anything more to gain from them. So, to that end, I'd like to hear from other creative types in the industry to hear their views and how they are implementing the lessons learned so that their show doesn't run into the same problems.

Edit- to be clear, I mean show runners/producers/writers who were not involved in GOT.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If these guys are getting legit death threats and/or are being subjected to constant personal attacks because people don't like their handling of a TV show, then yes, it is entirely appropriate to inject some basic perspective into the discussion. I will happily dismiss any and all criticisms of a work of fiction before being okay with actual human beings getting attacked over it.

Ok?
Hypothetical death threats notwithstanding, were using extremes to act like the entirety of criticisms being used here and fans wanting D&D to talk about the ending is tantamount to death threats and other toxic behavior. Which at least here isnt happening and I havent read anything so extreme like the examples youre giving in most places either.
People should be dismissive of what passes as criticism in many of these discussions. It's a lot of people making shitty comments and continuing to act like either 1) they're still owed something, or 2) something needs to happen so that writers are "held accountable".

It's insane. It's insane that someone told you a story, and you didn't like it, and your reaction to that is thinking that someone needs to be "held accountable". It's people telling stories! No crime was committed. It's people making up dragon stories to entertain people, and they came up short. That is not an offense that needs to be swelled upon.
People wanting to hear their thought processes and decision making isnt the same as people wanting to hold a public stoning of these individuals.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

It's insane. It's insane that someone told you a story, and you didn't like it, and your reaction to that is thinking that someone needs to be "held accountable". It's people telling stories! No crime was committed. It's people making up dragon stories to entertain people, and they came up short. That is not an offense that needs to be swelled upon.
"Someone told you a story" as if this was handed out for free on street corners.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
In some small town, a guy is in his mom's basement playing MMOs and saw this news and snarled, "that's right you little bitches...run from us" before shoving a spoon of Mac and cheese in his mouth.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Paying money to watch a show doesn't mean you're owed satisfaction, it means you're owed getting to see a show. Grow up.
And in turn said show runners publicly airing show for all to see means they can listen to criticism about it. Thats the thing about making your art public, you open yourself and the art up for feedback, both positive and negative

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
And in turn said show runners publicly airing show for all to see means they can listen to criticism about it. Thats the thing about making your art public, you open yourself and the art up for feedback, both positive and negative
You're free to give your feedback, but they're not obligated to listen. They were paid by HBO to write a show and they did. End of story.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Lol have you people ever watched SDCC panels for popular shows before. These things are only about the guests fucking around and telling the audience how awesome everything is.

They're the last place I would expect actual criticism to be addressed especially the shitshow of epic magnitude that was GoT's ending. If you want that stuff you'll have to wait for books and interviews. Those will most likely occur years later.