• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Dave Lee is great, I watch his videos from time to time. This was a great watch. I recommend watching it after watching the PS5 teardown.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

delete

Jul 4, 2019
interesting that he expects the ps5 to be a quieter system than the xsx, seems overall he is very impressed with the engineering.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I quite liked it when he alluded to the design philosophy being, "Japanese". For me that philosophy was portrayed first by that multi-orientable stand with built in hideaway storage for screw and the plug.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god is this going to go like the Travis Scott thread again with dozens of people for some reason bragging about how ignorant they are of normal people things.

Eh normally I would agree with you but it's not like this guy is a celebrity. He's one of many Youtube tech reviewers. So I don't think someone asking for more context as to why his take is worth listening to is all that problematic.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the PS5 really the first mass manufactured consumer device to have a liquid metal thermal interface material?

On Googling, the only other product I could find that uses it was some new Asus laptop, but I'm guessing they're not manufactured in nearly the same volumes.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Is the PS5 really the first mass manufactured consumer device to have a liquid metal thermal interface material?

On Googling, the only other product I could find that uses it was some Asus laptop, but I'm guessing they're not manufactured in nearly the same volumes.

Based on fast and furious Binging today, yes.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but vapour chamber just sounds like what vaping buddies in their thirties call their bedrooms when they vape together and the girlfriends aren't around

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

On Googling, the only other product I could find that uses it was some new Asus laptop, but I'm guessing they're not manufactured in nearly the same volumes.
Yeah def one of the few but definitely not at the same scale.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
If I remember well, someone said (DF?) that MS has tested the console in the desert, if that is true, I don't think Xbox Series X will be louder than the other.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You mean the over-engineering, surely.
This is not over engineered. It's so funny you all are some arm chair engineers here. It literally has fail safes at varying levels to ensure the system performs at its optimal performance Level as much as possible.
This whole system is all about kaizen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sorry but vapour chamber just sounds like what vaping buddies in their thirties call their bedrooms when they vape together and the girlfriends aren't around

I mean kudos where it is due, MS engineers did a phenomenal job for the form factor. It does make me curious with regards heat dissipation efficiencies for each system (whether trade off in size of heat sink is compensated by the existence of a the vapor chamber which has proven its mettle in One X).

Of course, it is purely academic because both systems have been designed to have sufficient cooling for the innards to operate at their limits (when applicable) at all times without any kind of performance fade over time brought on by overheating.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I just clicked play on the video, and man does this guy have the cleanest hoodie in the universe.

This isn't a drive-by I'm watching the video.

EDIT: The heat sink comment was interesting.

EDIT 2: This is a pretty insightful video, thanks OP.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
If I remember well, someone said (DF?) that MS has tested the console in the desert, if that is true, I don't think Xbox Series X will be louder than the other.
Engineers use environment sim chambers for this. You dial in the humidity, temperature, and pressure, and put all your sensors on it. Test it under all conditions to see if you made a mistake. You don't go around the world where there's a test condition you need. You dial it on the test chamber because you'll need to test all the extremes, repeatedly, for weeks.

Hopefully they meant it as a joke, or it's a publicity stunt that makes no engineering sense.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Engineers use environment sim chambers for this. You dial in the humidity, temperature, and pressure, and put all your sensors on it. Test it under all conditions to see if you made a mistake. You don't go around the world where there's a test condition you need. You dial it on the test chamber because you'll need to test all the extremes, repeatedly, for weeks.

Hopefully they meant it as a joke, or it's a publicity stunt that makes no engineering sense.

Gaming is pretty big with soldiers, and a lot of them are still somehow stuck in the desert.... I think there could have been a legit test - to make sure it functions in probably less than ideal circumstances.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
This is not over engineered. It's so funny you all are some arm chair engineers here. It literally has fail safes at varying levels to ensure the system performs at its optimal performance Level as much as possible.
This whole system is all about kaizen.

I'm not sure if you took me seriously or if you're taking the piss too lol

Check the other PS5 teardown threads and have fun counting how many people called the PS5 an overdesigned mess.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Thank you for this explanation.