• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Hes become the Ja Rule. Sad.

It's interesting to think about when that shift happened. That Letterman Netflix show, there's a moment where he tells Chappelle about how he was waiting for him to speak out following the Floyd incident. This is face to face, in front of a crowd, and the response Is "yeah mmhmm." Chappelle did end up releasing a video on Netflix YouTube.

At a point when people fuel your ego like that, when does introspection go out the window. You see it with less on social media. A little clout trumps everything for some people. Here you have David Letterman, someone who has been a major voice in his own right, talking like you have the spotlight to speak on the consciousness of a people. And in fairness, some of what he said in his video was seen as cathartic.

But yeah, it's something to compare his old and new style. In content and delivery.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you Dave Chappelle, fuck you in your stoopid ass.

No forgiveness for this guy... just so many memories tarnished by his idiocy lately.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So many people I admired over the past 5 or so years have outted themselves as trash.

I don't even know who to fall back on anymore when I need some inspiration, because I'm waiting for some crazy revelation to come out.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
[...]cowards who said -You see that Dave Chapelle? That's why we stay inside where it's safe and we never try anything-
Well enjoy yourselves motherfuckers, cause I'm better now.
This absolute fucking clown. It isn't about him, it is about the people who didn't get better. And then the pronouns. Fuck this dude. He's often incredibly entertaining to listen, but I'm done giving him chances to get better when he's only getting worse.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So many people I admired over the past 5 or so years have outted themselves as trash.

I don't even know who to fall back on anymore when I need some inspiration, because I'm waiting for some crazy revelation to come out.
Unfortunately that's why you don't idolize anyone. Not to the extent that you actually look up to them and what they stand for at least.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
my tolerance for assholery in the name of stand-up is higher than others, likely due to my position of privilege but also by making my peace with the fact that the most famous stand-up comedians are usually there because they're maladjusted performers who persevered in a bunch of toxic scenes, from nightclubs to hollywood. they're not perfect people, and they sometimes play with hate for the sake of working a crowd or making a point. not my favorite look, but also not surprising.

that being said, Chappelle's use of "coward" today has sickened me in a way I didn't expect.

do you know how a coward kills someone? by not looking them in the eyes.

becoming part of the COVID transmission chain is basically rolling the dice on becoming a murderer—and in Chappelle's case, by possibly doing so with either one of his fans or one of his crew, all while putting on shows and making money (though I don't know his split between charitable works, fair compensation for staff, and so on, it's still about making money in the end). and when he got it, he unwittingly rolled some dice. who knows who in his immediate circle, or those people's circles, either died or contracted a lasting (if not lifelong) condition?

"all greatness is from god," he starts with. but all greatness is SEEN by god, as well, at least by that brand of Christianity. when he looks down at you, and at your classification of bravery and cowardice, Dave, what exactly does he see? that's not a question either Dave or myself can answer, but I'm not the one commanding crowds and invoking god's name to make a point.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Dave is basically only "good" on a handful of issues at this point and mostly shitty about everything else. He is a legend, but his time is well past over and he's a fucking transphobe.

He's fucking Gen Xer stuck in the 90s.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Reading the replies and mulling on it, he's definitely completely veered into self-righteous. Not a good look for a stand up. That shit sucks the oxygen out the room and worse yet, what he's so opinionated about is just hateful. He really thinks he's conveying some sort of gospel.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I used to love Dave so much, I'm not even gonna give this trash a listen.

The man has lost the plot and fuck him for real, Transphobic trash

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad he got paid from the work he's done.

I do feel like dave isn't who he was though

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to watch his shows so often, repeatedly.

Now I can't even watch a sec of him or listen to him. Did money change him or just brought out the real Dave I wonder. His shows aren't even funny anymore. It's just angry, ignorant Dave spewing hateful garbage.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
he's funny, and great storyteller but goddamn he's so arrogant and materialistic nowadays.

but then again how many people really experience what he does on a daily basis, i.e. being practically worshipped, paid 20 millions of dollars per special? I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T change him somehow.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
That was a fucking mess.

That first 3-minutes or so about Covid was some of the most pandering braindead shit I've heard in a while. "Bravery" is not throwing yourself out there in a pandemic and spreading around a deadly disease willy-nilly thus prolonging the pandemic. Talking about being brave and shit so he could do a show for celebrities in a pandemic...what a hero!

It just sucked. Even though he acted like a moron, I don't wish a deadly disease on him or anyone else. In the end, it just means it gets spread around more and lives are ruined prolonging misery for everyone else.

And him taking a victory lap acting like he's still some aggrieved person is just so tone deaf in 2020/2021.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
he's funny, and great storyteller but goddamn he's so arrogant and materialistic nowadays.

but then again how many people really experience what he does on a daily basis, i.e. being practically worshipped, paid 20 millions of dollars per special? I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T change him somehow.
Change him enough to make him a transphobe?

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I was with him on the haters part till he said if you stay home and do nothing you are cowards, that was at the very beginning, so I toned out after that. Being cautious and careful for loved ones and random people is a cowards ways of living? Sorry Dave, completely wrong.

Dunking on fools who wish you dead or happy you are sick is one thing, dunking on someone because they don't go to parties....nah....

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is a clown. Calling people cowards for remaining safe during a pandemic, then throwing shade at pronouns out of nowhere.

Cowardice is saying bigoted shit and hiding behind "comedy" when people call you out on it.

Well whatever OP is isn't even loading for me but this pretty much proves it was what i was expecting. Pass.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still enjoy Dave Chapelle, sorry. I guess. Glad they paid the brother. Corona bit was bad tho.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
He's one of the most talented comedians out there and my favorite when speaking about racism but his new "old-grumpy-conservative-rich" persona really sucks.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
HIs work definitely got more bite, which is not for everyone that's for sure. I like it for the most part.

Though I prefer his older comedy, the perfect combo of absurdity, racism, drugs, it was comedy gold.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
my tolerance for assholery in the name of stand-up is higher than others, likely due to my position of privilege but also by making my peace with the fact that the most famous stand-up comedians are usually there because they're maladjusted performers who persevered in a bunch of toxic scenes, from nightclubs to hollywood. they're not perfect people, and they sometimes play with hate for the sake of working a crowd or making a point. not my favorite look, but also not surprising.

that being said, Chappelle's use of "coward" today has sickened me in a way I didn't expect.

do you know how a coward kills someone? by not looking them in the eyes.

becoming part of the COVID transmission chain is basically rolling the dice on becoming a murderer—and in Chappelle's case, by possibly doing so with either one of his fans or one of his crew, all while putting on shows and making money (though I don't know his split between charitable works, fair compensation for staff, and so on, it's still about making money in the end). and when he got it, he unwittingly rolled some dice. who knows who in his immediate circle, or those people's circles, either died or contracted a lasting (if not lifelong) condition?

"all greatness is from god," he starts with. but all greatness is SEEN by god, as well, at least by that brand of Christianity. when he looks down at you, and at your classification of bravery and cowardice, Dave, what exactly does he see? that's not a question either Dave or myself can answer, but I'm not the one commanding crowds and invoking god's name to make a point.
I wouldn't use the word "sickened", but other than that, I agree with this post, moreso now that one of those "brave" people have probably given me a long term post-Covid condition. Even excluding me, it's a valid viewpoint.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the netflix story? Comedy Central (and whoever owns them... Viacom?) owns Chappelle Show, he was angry at Netflix (etc) for airing his show since he wasn't getting a penny from it. Did Netflix just pay him separately a side fee they didn't legally need to? Kinda interesting, and could have wide reaching implications in the future for artists to have venues when someone else owns their work.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
He talks about his show precautions in his "bit", but the problem is that he didn't catch COVID from doing stand up even though he frames it that way, he caught that shit from attending a big party in Austin with a bunch of other celebrities and fucking Elon Musk. He's a dipshit, plain and simple.

THANK you! He's a Covidiot and a liar.
And he's the coward for not admitting he did a really shitty fucking thing.

People always talking about instant tests like they're fucking magic. like 70% accuracy is 100%.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, so people who stayed home are cowards, and those who didn't care about catching/spreading COVID were brave? Alrighty dave

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even going to watch this.

I'd have previously considered myself to be a Dave Chappelle stan, but god. His attitude is so shitty. He's turned into one of the worst things: an over privileged comedian. He believes he can hide behind "it's just jokes", and revels in the fact that he winds people up. Unlike Chappelle's Show, when he does it now, it's not to send a message.

It's hard to defend him, so I won't. Dave is the best of all time, I still believe that. But I just can't abide his his bullshit. Maybe he'll pull his head out of his ass at some point, but I won't hold my breath.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
He talks about his show precautions in his "bit", but the problem is that he didn't catch COVID from doing stand up even though he frames it that way, he caught that shit from attending a big party in Austin with a bunch of other celebrities and fucking Elon Musk. He's a dipshit, plain and simple.

A party that fucking Grimes was at when she *knew* she had Covid. Fucking clownshow.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I'm not even going to watch this.

I'd have previously considered myself to be a Dave Chappelle stan, but god. His attitude is so shitty. He's turned into one of the worst things: an over privileged comedian. He believes he can hide behind "it's just jokes", and revels in the fact that he winds people up. Unlike Chappelle's Show, when he does it now, it's not to send a message.

It's hard to defend him, so I won't. Dave is the best of all time, I still believe that. But I just can't abide his his bullshit. Maybe he'll pull his head out of his ass at some point, but I won't hold my breath.

Same here. "It's just jokes" excuse won't work anymore
For me at least

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
Jesus....how far can you crawl up inside of your own ass.
I LOVED Dave Chappelle in the past, he was a comedy legend to me but this is embarrassing.
It's sad to see for me.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Dave fucking Chappelle essentially carrying a flag for the Religious Right is some absolute crazy shit.
That combined with his growing sense of self-importance pushed me to peace out on his shit.

"I am an Important Person now"

aight Dave. Apparently you forgot you weren't above making a whole bit on visiting Sesame Street back in the day.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a clown. Calling people cowards for remaining safe during a pandemic, then throwing shade at pronouns out of nowhere.

Cowardice is saying bigoted shit and hiding behind "comedy" when people call you out on it.

Wait did he go back to transphobia again?

He can't help himself can he.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Those first few minutes.

Ugh, fan of his work but he is puts me in place where it is hard to support him when it seems like everything is a personal attack to these types of people.

Like, my guy, let that s*** go and evolve you Dino or stfu.

He follows up with some real stuff but man.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing shade at pronouns isn't just transphobia, it's directed at all gender fluid people.

Guy can't help himself, just let's that slip for no reason.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also he goes on to talk about minding his own business, and greatness... lmao.

How can anyone listen to this out of touch boomer energy?