• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That Corona bit at the start is NOT a good luck. But, he summed up the Capital Riots well.

Man got the rona and manages to call considerate people that stayed at home "cowards." Money does things to the brain.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Dude is a clown. Calling people cowards for remaining safe during a pandemic, then throwing shade at pronouns out of nowhere.

Cowardice is saying bigoted shit and hiding behind "comedy" when people call you out on it.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Dude is a clown. Calling people cowards for remaining safe during a Pandemic, then throwing shade at pronouns out of nowhere.

Cowardice is saying bigoted shit and hiding behind "comedy" when people call you out on it.
This. Cool Hollywood finally got enough blowback to do the right thing, but this dude's a transphobe and doesn't think COVID applies to him so fuck him.

May 19, 2020
stay home and observe public health recommendations, unless you're a celebrity in which just do whatever you want and if you win a stupid prize well you're just a pussy for not also winning a stupid prize

dave has an undeniable strong presence as a comedian but he's a total doofus in other areas. don't worship entertainers basically

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
If you weren't already off the Chapelle train, that COVID bit is sure to kick you out of the cabin. What a fucking imbecile. It's a shame, Chapelle was one of the best comedians back in his prime, now he's just a grumpy old bigotted shit that happens to be good at telling stories.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that opening in that vid about him catching covid is a major yikes.

Fuck off Dave. He is basically comparing himself to god now... he always says how great he is, and now he says greatness comes from god.

Sigh. Over. It. Dave.

Too full of yourself now.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Dude is a clown. Calling people cowards for remaining safe during a pandemic, then throwing shade at pronouns out of nowhere.

I tried to push past the COVID shit and then he threw that pronoun jab. He has his head so far up his own ass.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Outside of the Capitol riots stuff, you can miss me with the rest of that, especially about that COVID stance.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

This.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for his next special. Don't agree with some of his views though thats for sure. Bird theory was amazing

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Man, being rich has done him no favors. He's become incredibly thin skinned and very much up his own ass. Which is sad because there are these bits and pieces of true poignancy. It's just buried under all that bitterness.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't feel bad for him before, and I couldn't care less about him getting more money now.

"netflix hurt my feelings." that was some corny bullshit.

He's an asshole who was considerably more charming way, way back in the day.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
If you weren't already off the Chapelle train, that COVID bit is sure to kick you out of the cabin. What a fucking imbecile. It's a shame, Chapelle was one of the best comedians back in his prime, now he's just a grumpy old bigotted shit that happens to be good at telling stories.
We're basically seeing someone who is riding high on their own supply.

that said, I understand where he's coming from during the Covid section. It's not aimed at everybody. It's aimed at thoseThat basically took a little victory lap when he caught Covid. Those that wished ill on him.

From everything I read, he did follow local health guidelines, every person at the events were tested using rapid tests, etc. I haven't come across any outbreaks associated with those events, so everything I know tells me that he had the resources to try. I may disagree with whether I would do such a thing, but it feels different than, for example people showing up to bars without masks or partying during spring break.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Decent commentary on the riots but basically Bill Maher stupid on everything else.

He did a lot to try to keep working during Covid but the big private maskless comedian jamborees he'd post to his Instagram were what people were calling him stupid for, specifically. And it's not simply for gathering with people maskless, it's about failing as a public figure tasked, whether he likes it or not, to publicly follow health guidelines to give others the strength to keep following them.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that opening in that vid about him catching covid is a major yikes.

Fuck off Dave. He is basically comparing himself to god now... he always says how great he is, and now he says greatness comes from god.

Sigh. Over. It. Dave.

Too full of yourself now.

man is certainly on some shit but he is not comparing himself to god lol. That's standard Christian fare straight from the Bible

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being so rich and out of touch that "bravery" is holding mass parties with celebrities and "cowardice" is staying at home to protect other people.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pronoun jabs and calling people who stay home during a global pandemic cowards? Dave's back ya'll!

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that he got the rights to Chappelle's Show, but I'm not a coward for wanting to keep everyone that I love safe.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Dave Chappelle didn't get coronavirus because he was working, he got it because he went to a party with Elon Musk and Joe Rogan.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
There's barely any attempt at comedy in the CORONA bit.. just like there was barely any attempt at comedy in his transphobic jokes. He just throws in some silly voice inflection and suddenly a blatantly political/social "message" is suddenly supposed to just be not taken seriously because "comedy"? He clearly intends to be taken seriously; he clearly intends to be spreading a message.

Which is his right; as it is anyone's right to call him out for it.. and any venue or companies right to not want to do business with him. You want to use a platform for something? Cool; the platform holders don't have to let you use theirs.

Talk about cowardice; not admitting that you are spreading a message and instead claim it's "comedy."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well he is a Muslim.

He's not saying it directly but he's basically trying to say I'm super important.

i always forget he is Muslim but I imagine it's the same for most religions

either way, I agree he is full of himself. I just hear people credit god for glory and greatness all the time

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Dave continue down this same damn path. Feels like a matter of time before he's medium Kanye instead of 40% Kanye. Don't understand the clinging to bigot and stupid shit.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i always forget he is Muslim but I imagine it's the same for most religions

either way, I agree he is full of himself. I just hear people credit god for glory and greatness all the time

Lots do yea but it's mostly thanking god. Just the way it reads to me is that since god gives greatness and since he is great therefore his words should hold value for you if you are a believer in god.

Like wtf Dave how are you a religious leader.

Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking idiot lmao I made it 2 minutes why did you link this?

Mother fucker thinks it's brave to endanger the most susceptible.

Well good for you, coward, glad you found a way to justify another addiction.

Does he even tell jokes or is he some sort of cult religious leader? Should I find out what Ja thinks about corona? Or should I listen to medical professionals?

Last edited:

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Glad that he got the rights to Chappelle's Show, but I'm not a coward for wanting to keep everyone that I love safe.
I don't think he's calling you (or me, for that matter) cowards. He's calling those who rejoiced or reveled when he got covid. He starts the whole bit with "when the hero stumbles, the cowards rejoice" - it's about those who wished him ill when they heard about it, and he calls it a small group of people because by and large most people wished him well.

That said, I understand why people are reacting as you did.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
He's not very funny anymore. A shame. Dude used to be capable of making people laugh for hours straight, barely able to catch their breath.
Now it's more a mix of, one funny joke, then a lot of groan-worthy takes mixed in. Not worth the watch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Glad they paid him. He can fuck right off with all of his anti-safety, transphobic shit that he latches onto these days though.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
There's barely any attempt at comedy in the CORONA bit.. just like there was barely any attempt at comedy in his transphobic jokes. He just throws in some silly voice inflection and suddenly a blatantly political/social "message" is suddenly supposed to just be not taken seriously because "comedy"? He clearly intends to be taken seriously; he clearly intends to be spreading a message.

Which is his right; as it is anyone's right to call him out for it.. and any venue or companies right to not want to do business with him. You want to use a platform for something? Cool; the platform holders don't have to let you use theirs.

Talk about cowardice; not admitting that you are spreading a message and instead claim it's "comedy."

I don't see where he's masking this as comedy, lately especially he is obviously bringing his real life opinions into his stand ups, including at the end here where he mentions his beef with Comedy Central. It's stand up but I don't think comedy is the intention.

Also it sounds like he's dunking on people who didn't wish him well and told him to stay home, not calling everyone a coward because I'm sure some of those people who wished him well (who he didn't call cowards) also stay home, he's just mad at his detractors. Which tbf his detractors have a point, he probably shouldn't have been at that party if that's where he got covid but w/e.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
He used to be hilarious, like this shit was gold back around 20-15 years ago:
tenor.gif

Now though I agree with others, he is a transphobic asshole and this disregard to safety rules is bullshit.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
He's not very funny anymore. A shame. Dude used to be capable of making people laugh for hours straight, barely able to catch their breath.
Now it's more a mix of, one funny joke, then a lot of groan-worthy takes mixed in. Not worth the watch.
I don't think this is intended as a comedy set. He seems to be doing more storytelling bits these days. (Not saying you should find it enjoyable — just that I don't think it's intended as a comedy bit.)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't see where he's masking this as comedy, lately especially he is obviously bringing his real life opinions into his stand ups, including at the end here where he mentions his beef with Comedy Central. It's stand up but I don't think comedy is the intention.

Also it sounds like he's dunking on people who didn't wish him well and told him to stay home, not calling everyone a coward because I'm sure some of those people who wished him well (who he didn't call cowards) also stay home, he's just mad at his detractors. Which tbf his detractors have a point, he probably shouldn't have been at that party if that's where he got covid but w/e.

He's consistently defended himself by claiming it's humor.

www.usatoday.com

Dave Chappelle defends humor, reflects on 'terrifying' comeback in Mark Twain special

"Don’t be afraid,” the comedian advises in "Dave Chappelle: The Mark Twain Prize" airing Tuesday. “Don’t let these (critics) button your lip.”

"We don't shy away from the jokes. In fact, humor was our mode of survival," he said. "The only reason I never got my ass whooped on these streets is because" others viewed him as "hilarious."

www.theguardian.com

Dave Chappelle's 'reckless' #MeToo and trans jokes have real after-effects

In his Netflix shows the comic defends his right to provoke, but protests against his gags about misconduct allegations and transgender people are justified

"You have a responsibility to speak recklessly, otherwise my kids might not know what reckless talk sounds like. The joys of being wrong. I didn't come here to be right, I just came here to fuck around." In the other gig, he claims that, "as a policy, you gotta understand, I never feel bad about anything I say up here".

The dude is full of shit.. he keeps repeating the exact same "anti-woke" messaging, and he does it quite seriously on stage.. then maybe throwing in a terrible "joke" or "funny voice." Then when criticized, he just says "I'm fucking around" or "we must defend humor."

Not to mention it's not just him defending himself; his "fans," other comedians, etc. do the same bit, claiming "comedy" must be protected.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Now though I agree with others, he is a transphobic asshole and this disregard to safety rules is bullshit.
Not arguing re: the transphobic piece. Re: covid, I don't think he disregarded safety rules. AFAIK, everyone at each event (performers and attendees) were tested, they followed local guidelines, etc. I'm not saying that it's 100% safe, just that its way different than, for example hitting up a bar during spring break.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Dave Chapelle and South Park basically have the same career trajectories and social message.

I think Dave Chapelle has been and can be super, super funny. But because so many people have told him that he's funny, and he knows he's funny, he thinks that he should have a pass for anything that he says, even when he's not trying to be funny. This is COVID denialism. I know that he and others who agree with him don't think this is COVID denialism ("No no no, I still think COVID is real and it's a horrible disease"), but it is, it's just a different form of it. When Donald Trump and Dave Chapelle tell you that going to a public performance, an entertainment bit, or sating a celebrity's ego and desire to be praised is "Bravery," they're denying the threat of COVID and putting their own interests -- money, popularity, fame, ego (all things that Chapelle and Trump have in abundance) -- above the risk that the disease presents to public health. That's denialism. COVID denialism isn't funny, it's deadly. It's about as funny as drunk driving.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
He's consistently defended himself by claiming it's humor.

www.usatoday.com

Dave Chappelle defends humor, reflects on 'terrifying' comeback in Mark Twain special

"Don’t be afraid,” the comedian advises in "Dave Chappelle: The Mark Twain Prize" airing Tuesday. “Don’t let these (critics) button your lip.”

www.theguardian.com

Dave Chappelle's 'reckless' #MeToo and trans jokes have real after-effects

In his Netflix shows the comic defends his right to provoke, but protests against his gags about misconduct allegations and transgender people are justified

The dude is full of shit.. he keeps repeating the exact same "anti-woke" messaging, and he does it quite seriously on stage.. then maybe throwing in a terrible "joke" or "funny voice." Then when criticized, he just says "I'm fucking around" or "we must defend humor."

Not to mention it's not just him defending himself; his "fans," other comedians, etc. do the same bit, claiming "comedy" must be protected.

He might do that for certain things, he might even intersperse some comedy, but I don't believe every single thing he says in his stand ups is meant as comedy. Especially when he's talking about his personal life or talking generally about how black Americans are treated here. He definitely soapboxes sometimes.