• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I can confirm the 25 minutes Epilogue is not available in all countries. Just logged into US Netflix with a VPN and it was in the "Trailers, etc." category on the page of the special.

I couldn't find it on my smart TVs app and almost switched off with 30 seconds of the credits remaining before it popped up in the 'playing next' box.

Weird.

The point he's trying to make is "lol transgender people funny".

Just, fucking stop. The fact that he still thinks being transgender is a choice shows that he hasn't even tried to understand shit.
I certainly didn't get that sense from his latest material. He talks about how hard it would be to be "born in the wrong body" and how trans folk are treated by cis gay and lesbians.

He also states that he finds the "predicament" to be hilarious to him in some way so there's that, but I think there is at least a kernel of empathy in there.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Got around to watching the epilogue today, it was great, in a different way than the special being great. Then again I can just listen to this dude talk for hours.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The crowd reactions annoyed me a lot more than anything Dave said. He'd say something borderline, and then the crowd would stand up and cheer about it. So obnoxious, and reeks of "he tells it like it is!" bullshit.

Dave definitely said some insensitive stuff, but he's been making fun of race since he started so I don't really take it as a surprise he makes fun of sexual orientations too. Clearly he would find the behaviors/nature of different sexual orientations to be funny. That doesn't mean you have to think it's okay of course; I think everyone will have different tolerance for what stand ups should offer.

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Second half was pretty great. Classic Dave. Towards the end of the first half i was starting to feel like he was on the blue collar comedy tour redux. The epilogue made it not as bad though.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
liked his last specials a whole lot more, this one was a bit too edgy and tasteless at times for my liking. either way, his delivery is almost always funny, but his act his getting old now, which is kinda to be expected

i'll give him another chance in the future when/if he updates/rethinks his comedy. if not, im good

Oct 25, 2017
The Bourdain jokes and the trans jokes were real wack. I found bits of the rest of the special funny, but those jokes felt either mean-spirited or just completely missing the point.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And that is an issue in its own, does that mean he believes that being transgender is like being Chinese? Fucking no.

If you want to be angry about something at least be to the correct issue.

He has been gross in the special and I how he will be hope responsible for it, but you can't come here and make up things he never said and never probably thought.

I can quote other specials where he said things in favour of them and how he knows they are real women in bodies men and vice versa

Wait yes that's exactly what he believes the entire crux of the joke is that he's claiming "society"treats identifying as trans as simply a normal thing.... whereas to him, while he might claim to support our right to exist, it's fundamentally absurd and ridiculous. That's why he contrasts it with something stupid like a black man identifying as Chinese because the point is to encourage anyone who'd just respond with acceptance and understanding of someone coming out as trans to instead see it for the absurdity Chappelle thinks it is.

It's literally just a variation of the attack helicopter troll. It's entirely about encouraging people to see being trans as being as absurd as claiming to be Asian when you're not or an attack helicopter. It's all about returning the trans identity back to the realm of the absurd than the realm of relative normalcy it is striving for now.

When he says he's fine with us existing he's saying he's fine with us living what he sees as our delusion.

The entire joke is about proclaiming via analogy that the very core of identifying as trans is funny and delusional. At the core the punchline is trans women aren't really women and trans men aren't really men, just like Chappelle isn't really Chinese

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Are you for fucking real?

That shitty joke comparing someone who's transgender to someone acting as if they're actually a different race isn't even new.

There's no secret hidden meaning here.

The lengths y'all go to to try to tell yourselves he isn't actually transphobic are mind boggling.

It is fucking sending me that people are saying a black dude making a statement on trans people by all but namedropping Rachel Dolezal in his reasoning is being respectful

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh man, I absolutely loved this one. I was in stitches the whole time, the MJ and McCauley Culkin shit was so wrong, but so hilarious at the same time. Was a little worried when I saw a lot of people say this was one of his weaker specials but I really enjoyed it. Guy has such great delivery. Will watch the epilogue later, I some how missed it the first time. I don't agree with Dave on a lot of his views, but damn is the man funny lol. Most I've laughed in a while.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Defending Transphobia; Prior Related Infraction for Transphobia
Wait yes that's exactly what he believes the entire crux of the joke is that he's claiming "society"treats identifying as trans as simply a normal thing.... whereas to him, while he might claim to support our right to exist, it's fundamentally absurd and ridiculous. That's why he contrasts it with something stupid like a black man identifying as Chinese because the point is to encourage anyone who'd just respond with acceptance and understanding of someone coming out as trans to instead see it for the absurdity Chappelle thinks it is.

It's literally just a variation of the attack helicopter troll. It's entirely about encouraging people to see being trans as being as absurd as claiming to be Asian when you're not or an attack helicopter. It's all about returning the trans identity back to the realm of the absurd than the realm of relative normalcy it is striving for now.

When he says he's fine with us existing he's saying he's fine with us living what he sees as our delusion.

The entire joke is about proclaiming via analogy that the very core of identifying as trans is funny and delusional. At the core the punchline is trans women aren't really women and trans men aren't really men, just like Chappelle isn't really Chinese
I disagree, actually. He's describing why he finds it hilarious, which is really insensitive but isn't that comedy in a nutshell?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Used to like Dave, but his act is too mean-spirited and out of touch nowadays for me to appreciate it.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
The epilogue puts some of the material in context. I do wonder if comedy isn't one of the better ways to talk about some of these issues. As any normal conversation tends to devolve quickly. That being said I don't know shit about being part of one of these groups that are often targets of hurtful speech, policy, and violence.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This was his best special of the three he made from Netflix. The man is a legend. I still don't get why he called the guy Juice though :S .. even though the rest of those bits from that part were hilarious.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
The epilogue puts some of the material in context. I do wonder if comedy isn't one of the better ways to talk about some of these issues. As any normal conversation tends to devolve quickly. That being said I don't know shit about being part of one of these groups that are often targets of hurtful speech, policy, and violence.

Did I somehow miss this? I left it on until the credits and nothing came up after?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This was his best special of the three he made from Netflix. The man is a legend. I still don't get why he called the guy Juice though :S .. even though the rest of those bits from that part were hilarious.
He made 5 specials. And calling him Juicy was part of the bit that revolved around him pretending Jussie was from France. It was one of the strongest parts of the special.

El Gallo

Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Finally got the chance to watch it last night and I thought it was funny af. The Juicy Smoolyay bit was the highlight for me 😂

It's definitely not for everyone tho and I can understand why some might fine it offensive. My girl who loved his previous stuff hated it.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
When it comes to comedy, it's not really as important whether or not I agree with him on a specific stance. Did he make me laugh? That's all I care about. I would go as far as to say even Dave might not fully agree with what he is saying on stage, but certain things need to be played up for comedic effect.

This isn't a TED talk, comedy is it's own thing and must be taken in context.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to comedy, it's not really as important whether or not I agree with him on a specific stance. Did he make me laugh? That's all I care about. I would go as far as to say even Dave might not fully agree with what he is saying on stage, but certain things need to be played up for comedic effect.

This isn't a TED talk, comedy is it's own thing and must be taken in context.

I absolutely take his jokes in the context that he's transphobic and doesn't like the LGBT community

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
we live in a time where people are perpetually offended.

No, we live in a time where finally people are standing up for those who have little power. People are finally making noise when some douchebag uses a slur. The only ones offended are the people who can't seem to understand why they can't use dehumanising language against those who aren't like them. The only ones upset are the ones who have to actually treat other humans like humans.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing issues around transphobia and other bigotry
All the praise I'm seeing Chappelle get here is really disappointing. Reading what he says in it, just, what the fuck. He doesn't sound any better than a random Twitter edgelord, but he knows how to be funny while being one so it's considered okay I guess. Ugh.

It's stand-up comedy. Through that lens, Dave put together a decent special but definitely nowhere near as good as his last 2 specials.

I think the debate around the appropriate-ness of the jokes he's making is not the right lens to see A stand-up comedy set.

In terms of my review, this was a 6/10. Feel like he's too hung up on cancel culture etc.... Doesn't feel inspired. Dave is capable of more refreshing comedy.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The joke he made about being allowed to say the n word was probably the highlight of the show

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Noticed some folks in the audience
qSC4XPG.png

Anderson Cooper

VR59aKp.png

Judd Apatow and what I'm like 90% certain is Busta

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The bit about him being a Chinese person inside wasn't subversive or insightful. A GamerGater on 4chan could've come up with that one. Literally everyone knows how to be offensive, but a comedian is supposed to add some sort of value to it.

Poor comedy doesn't get a pass for being comedy.

Edit: And for anyone who thinks I was watching this to get offended, I thought the second half of the special was way better than the first half. The Jussie Smollett bit had me cracking up, and the "black man with shotgun protecting his property from white drug addicts" bit is an example of value-added subversiveness.

Good post. I like a lot of Dave's comedy, and I agree that the shotgun story was hilarious. Probably one of my favorite bits of his.

That said, large parts of this special was just unfunny, for reasons that have been discussed for many a pages in multiple threads already.

Unfortunate that the epilogue is region locked from me, it sounds as if I would like it.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Second half was def better. The heroin/shotgun part got me so bad. The epilogue was ok, the pictures of everyone at the end of it was cool

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So did people really miss out on the "If I make fun of you it's because I see a part of myself in you" bit? (paraphrasing), and the punchline at the end? I don't think people give Dave enough credit.

As usual, the stuff he talks about is much deeper than the surface level of jokes, but whatever, i get why people are offended and it's always bad when stuff like that happens. Still, Dave Chappelle has always talked about race, everything he did had a subtext about race and this special, at the end of the day, is about race and being black in America.
I really enjoyed this, there were some weaker parts, but in the end the more powerful stuff won me over.

Sucks that people are offended by certain stuff, again, I understand why, but like I said, Dave has always dealt primarily with race and racial injustice and that's the focus here.
This is with in the range of my take on it as I just finished watching it myself. I was laughing my ass off throughout the show but understand that it's gonna offend people. The bit where he talk about when he had to go see that lady about saying the f-word on his show was a part I though was pretty deep.
That hour and a half flew by. Hilarious. Favorites were the cashier shaking the buckshot and justice for juicy.
Dawg the Jussie part had me slayed. Was definitely the part I laughed the hardest on
Also like how he brought up how black people being silent about that cause I did take a wait and see approach with the story myself. I was dead at the police report part and asking about Kanye's whereabouts.

Yeah though this was the first stand up special that I watched in some time since a caught a Kevin Hart one a few years back.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the epilogue might be better than the actual special. really funny stuff

edit: I will say that I think it was a fantastic special. but good God the Chinese/Trans joke was the most shocking, hack, terrible bit I've ever seen from a comedian. like it's just pure racism/transphobia and I didn't find it funny one bit. But I think it's like a minute and a half and the rest was amazing.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): dismissing transphobia
Really liked this one especially that epilogue. Didn't see the problem with the first half since it was clear (at least for me) none of it was mean spirited and he makes fun of everyone anyway. I hope Netflix renew their contract even if it's expensive. 4 specials are not enough and I need more in my life.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Really liked this one especially that epilogue. Didn't see the problem with the first half since it was clear (at least for me) none of it was mean spirited and he makes fun of everyone anyway. I hope Netflix renew their contract even if it's expensive. 4 specials are not enough and I need more in my life.
They must have already extended it because this was special #5.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something hilarious about out of touch comedians complaining about censorship while 50% of Netflix's comedy output has "triggered" in the title and we have one of the most un-pc administrations of modern times.
You're opinions aren't some fringe minority, you are the norm

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was refreshing and hilarious.

Easily the best bit was the Jussie Smollett one, but I found a bunch of other bits to be pretty great as well.

Perfect title to the stand up too.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia; Prior Severe Ban for Transphobia
It was quite funny. Not Eddie Murphy Raw funny, but pretty nice. Everybody got their own share of jokes. If it hit you hard, you probably need a sense of humor as Dave always made sure to give the actual point in the end of every piece. Quite intelligent although the actual jokes were really cruel. I liked it.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
There's something hilarious about out of touch comedians complaining about censorship while 50% of Netflix's comedy output has "triggered" in the title and we have one of the most un-pc administrations of modern times.
You're opinions aren't some fringe minority, you are the norm

Yeah, there were plenty of shitty jokes in that special that I've heard from shitty bigots before. It's not brave to regurgitate backwards views and stupid ideas. Especially when you can just edit the special in such a way that only the biggest laughs get shown. Like, cool, you had an audience that day who doesn't understand why everyone can't just say any slur they like without backlash, how refreshing.