• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm usually a defender of not policing comedians and not dictating what can be joked about.

But a lot of this material felt mean spirited and lazy. Where were the insights? "LOL ANTHONY BOURDAIN HAD IT SO GOOD AND HE KILLED HIMSELF WHAT A WHINER". was the extent of that through-line.

I thought it was going to transition into his whole shtick about Hollywood's environment being sick.... nope

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to his intention with whatever that joke would have been, but black pain and suffering has been told through the lens of comedy for decades, and everyone was laughing along and okay with it, whether they were black or not. So I hope going forward people become a little more self aware at what they laugh at. It can't just be your particular marginalized group that you draw the line at. Either it's all fair game, or none of it should be.

Again Chappelle clearly has some weird hookup with the LGBT community and he's trying to morally justify being homophobic in his comedy.

Bob Saget for example would have been told not to use either word.

A white gay comedian would have been given leeway with the F word but would have been told not to use the N word.

Minorities being given room for exploring their own oppression through the language of their oppressors has been the standard for ages. That is not a carte blanche to use other slurs against other groups.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm usually a defender of not policing comedians and not dictating what can be joked about.

But a lot of this material felt mean spirited and lazy. Where were the insights? "LOL ANTHONY BOURDAIN HAD IT SO GOOD AND HE KILLED HIMSELF WHAT A WHINER". was the extent of that through-line.

Other than setting up a joke directly after it I think it was supposed to be a swerve for the ending, when he's talking about a childhood memory.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to see the special and I'll make my full judgement call once I see it but it's sounding like this special was mean-spirited
Again Chappelle clearly has some weird hookup with the LGBT community and he's trying to morally justify being homophobic in his comedy.

A white gay comedian would have been given leeway with the F word but would have been told not to use the N word.

Minorities being given room for exploring their own oppression through the language of their oppressors has been the standard for ages. That is not a carte blanche to use other slurs against other groups.
^this 100%.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Chapelle seems like a dumbass and a lot of his opinions just make me roll my eyes. The Michael Jackson stuff especially. But his delivery is so off-the-charts great that he can make practically anything funny to me and I can't help but laugh.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The beginning was rough and I haven't seen the Michael Jackson documentary but those jokes were yikes.
After that though, some of the long form bits were the best I've ever seen in stand up comedy.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than setting up a joke directly after it I think it was supposed to be a swerve for the ending, when he's talking about a childhood memory.

The memory of his friend who's ended up working at foot locker and DIDN'T kill himself, unlike that weakling Anthony Bourdain? Wasn't that the point of his bit?

I dunno man, really rubbed me the wrong way.

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best jokes ive heard in a comedy special in over a decade. Fucking hilarious. The Nigerian impression at the end my god. Incredible and hilarious

Really didnt like his last two specials. This was on another level

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
The memory of his friend who's ended up working at foot locker and DIDN'T kill himself, unlike that weakling Anthony Bourdain? Wasn't that the point of his bit?

I don't think the point of those bits was to paint Bourdain as a weakling.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Did you miss the last line of that bit?

"Nobody's life is perfect no matter what you see from the outside you don't know what the fuck is going on inside"

That's hardly calling Bourdain a whiner

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

It seems like you're trying to infer motive, when maybe he was just trying to tell a joke. It's not like he has a known history of dropping slurs without context. His skits told stories. Take the n word out of context, and it's not funny either. Going back to my point, it's not about about the accepted practice of minorities and marginalized groups telling jokes about themselves. It's about who's been laughing at them. I'm sure a bunch of white people found Dave's Clayton Bigsby skit where he dropped the n word 20+ times hilarious. They also laugh along when a black person jokes about police brutality. The black plight is goddamn hilarious and profitable. If you can count yourself as being in that non-black group that got entertainment out of it then take some personal responsibility.

As Dave mentioned in this Netflix series, people should be able to laugh at themselves. He's not being hateful in his comedy, but understandably no joke lands for everyone. Like Dave mentioned, one person lost their shit at his #metoo joke and left, but a transgender person found his trans jokes entertaining. You can be safe and try to not offend anyone, but Dave would have washed out along time ago if that was his approach to comedy and you probably wouldn't even know his name if he did.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
User banned: (3 days) For drive by trolling
FANTASTIC special. The man keeps on giving. His awesome impression of people being offended was spot on and looking at the reactions on this forum and other places, I'd say he's nailed it.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Pushing taboos and generally joking about things that should not be joked about is a hallmark of comedy. Humor is, after all, a coping mechanism. I'm not telling people to not be offended (that was the point of a lot of the jokes in this particular special), just consider other viewpoints like Daphne's. It wasn't that long ago that comedians were prosecuted in the headlines for things we consider commonplace and hardly worth being upset about today. We didn't arrive to where we are now without comedy.

It auto-played after the special for me.
The bit about him being a Chinese person inside wasn't subversive or insightful. A GamerGater on 4chan could've come up with that one. Literally everyone knows how to be offensive, but a comedian is supposed to add some sort of value to it.

Poor comedy doesn't get a pass for being comedy.

Edit: And for anyone who thinks I was watching this to get offended, I thought the second half of the special was way better than the first half. The Jussie Smollett bit had me cracking up, and the "black man with shotgun protecting his property from white drug addicts" bit is an example of value-added subversiveness.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

I addressed this earlier, but I don't think that was the point at all. And as someone who has suffered deep clinical depression the majority of my life and have been in the mental hospital before. I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

It's not a joke about Anthony Bourdain being weak, it's about the cruel irony of depression permeating regardless of privilege and the exterior appearance of happiness and how someone with seemingly nothing, that it would never occur to them to kill themselves. Existence is full of cruel irony that is hilarious.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The best contrast to old and new Dave is the Michael Jackson bit. Both offensive, but the one from Killin' Them Softley is so hilarious that you get over it quick. The bit in the new special is a just him defending MJ with barely any comedy to it, so it's just kinda gross.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you're trying to infer motive, when maybe he was just trying to tell a joke. It's not like he has a known history of dropping slurs without context. His skits told stories. Take the n word out of context, and it's not funny either. Going back to my point, it's not about about the accepted practice of minorities and marginalized groups telling jokes about themselves. It's about who's been laughing at them. I'm sure a bunch of white people found Dave's Clayton Bigsby skit where he dropped the n word 20+ times hilarious. They also laugh along when a black person jokes about police brutality. The black plight is goddamn hilarious and profitable. If you can count yourself as being in that non-black group that got entertainment out of it then take some personal responsibility.

As Dave mentioned in this Netflix series, people should be able to laugh at themselves. He's not being hateful in his comedy, but understandably no joke lands for everyone. Like Dave mentioned, one person lost their shit at his #metoo joke and left, but a transgender person found his trans jokes entertaining. You can be safe and try to not offend anyone, but Dave would have washed out along time ago if that was his approach to comedy and you probably wouldn't even know his name if he did.
I don't know whether you are intentionally or unintentionally missing the point.

A black comedian gets called in for using the f-word, but not for using the n-word.

A gay comedian would be called in for using the n-word, but not for using the f-word. A gay comedian could make the same point Dave made in the opposite situation, "Well, I'm not a f-----"

Whether straight white people laugh at either word or not is irrelevant to this point. There's no hypocrisy or double standard.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... It was better than the last couple specials. The edgy jokes were worse in those.

This special was like... 40-50% funny with the awkward moments between.

I don't mind edgy humor or punching down... But I'd prefer it to be really funny when I watch it. It just wasn't this time. But again, last two specials were worse in that regard.

Maybe once he gets over the cancel culture thing, he'll make jokes again instead of just complaining on stage

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't know whether you are intentionally or unintentionally missing the point.

A black comedian gets called in for using the f-word, but not for using the n-word.

A gay comedian would be called in for using the n-word, but not for using the f-word. A gay comedian could make the same point Dave made in the opposite situation, "Well, I'm not a f-----"

Whether straight white people laugh at either word or not is irrelevant to this point. There's no hypocrisy or double standard.

I think it is relevant since we've normalized laughing at jokes about groups that we aren't a part of, but now it seems it's a problem.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Like Dave mentioned, one person lost their shit at his #metoo joke and left, but a transgender person found his trans jokes entertaining.

Oh yeah the one where he implied the difference between the I believe sexual assault victim and the trans woman is that the trans woman used to be a man so could take it!

Hilarious.

Sidenote it's interesting you how in regards to his n word stuff you infer it's about social commentary but when it's gay slur he's just trying to tell a joke.

The black plight is goddamn hilarious and profitable. If you can count yourself as being in that non-black group that got entertainment out of it then take some personal responsibility

The only one not taking responsibility for shit is him and those who have a defense for all the transphobic and homophobic things he's said.

I'm really unsure why we always get back to shitting on me with some massive assumptions

As Dave mentioned in this Netflix series, people should be able to laugh at themselves. He's not being hateful in his comedy, but understandably no joke lands for everyone.

The sheer existence of trans people is goddamn hilarious and profitable. If you can count yourself as being in that non-trans group that got entertainment out of it then take some personal responsibility

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I seriously question how anyone could find the "jokes" he makes about molesting children funny. I love comedy. I've watched many comedy specials. None have ever come even remotely close to making me feel genuinely shocked then listening to Dave Chappelle rattle on about pedophilia. It was sickening really. I turned it off.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Did you miss the last line of that bit?

"Nobody's life is perfect no matter what you see from the outside you don't know what the fuck is going on inside"

That's hardly calling Bourdain a whiner
I mean that's just keep it real. He had a damn great life but even depression can make those situations look like shit.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is relevant since we've normalized laughing at jokes about groups that we aren't a part of, but now it seems it's a problem.
Except the specific bit we're discussing is him complaining about how it's hypocritical that he can use one slur and not another, when the circumstances would be the same if the situation were reversed. So, the opposite of hypocritical.

If he was trying to make your point, it didn't really come across to me in that particular bit, although I definitely understood when he said that one reason why he stopped his show in the first place was because he felt like too many racist white people were taking the skits at face value.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I liked his first Netflix special, but this one.. just.. meh. I'm not the type to get offended over edgy non-PC jokes and can separate a joke from a real opinion, but I didn't really find myself laughing all that much this time. He really seems out of touch.. like an old man trying to joke around with the kids and falling flat.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The worst part about his unintelligent bits is when he thinks he's being incredibly hilarious and slaps the mic against his leg and walks backwards like he's taking a victory lap. I don't mind if he does it after something hilariously insightful (like the Opioids vs Crack bit), but doing it after something blatantly misguided and mean just isn't the Dave I remember.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The only one not taking responsibility for shit is him and those who have a defense for all the transphobic and homophobic things he's said.

I'm really unsure why we always get back to shitting on me with some massive assumptions

I didn't shit on you. I spoke in a generality that people should be more aware at what they've been laughing at in the past and whether it was really cool to begin with.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Why is making jokes about certain marginalised people so outrageous yet there hasn't been a single peep about the suicide or school shooting jokes?

Edit: oh, ok maybe literally one person complained.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Why is making jokes about certain marginalised people so outrageous yet there hasn't been a single peep about the suicide or school shooting jokes?
There have already been several posts in this thread criticizing the suicide and child molestation jokes, so maybe you just need to reread the thread.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I'm sure you thought you had a nice gotcha, but I was adding another example of people criticizing jokes that aren't about "certain marginalized groups," since you seem to have a hard-on for them.
I have a 'hard on' for them? Grow the fuck up. I've already said I didn't really like that material.

And a school shooting is the most horrific event imaginable. Why is nobody up in arms about those jokes?

I mean you yourself seem to think that the opioid crisis is ripe for comedy. Why is that any more or less acceptable than the other material?

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Just watched the epilogue. The man is a damn genius. Ahead of his time. I want him to do a bit of south Asians (like me) next. Shit will be hilarious

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 'hard on' for them? Grow the fuck up. I've already said I didn't really like that material.

And a school shooting is the most horrific event imaginable. Why is nobody up in arms about those jokes?

I mean you yourself seem to think that the opioid crisis is ripe for comedy. Why is that any more or less acceptable than the other material?

He wasn't mocking school shooting victims, he was mocking the ridiculousness of the situation in America, where instead of taking real action to stop these shootings from happening, schools are running useless "school shooter" drills, like how in the 1950s schools told kids to hide under their desks in case of a nuclear attack.

-----

Because it was intentionally drawing upon how black people were treated during the crack epidemic, and how outrageous it is for humans to be treated as criminals and sub-human for being drug addicts. And how white people are noticing that now, when it's white people who are the victims.

If you had read the entirety of MY posts, you would've read that I don't have a problem with offensive themes as long as there's an intelligent point to be made when using them. There's nothing intelligent about "but wouldn't it be hilarious if I thought I was Chinese?" That's "I identify as an attack-helicopter" caliber humor... should I be impressed that a professional comedian is capable of the same joke as the average 14 year old?

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the best jokes ive heard in a comedy special in over a decade. Fucking hilarious. The Nigerian impression at the end my god. Incredible and hilarious

Really didnt like his last two specials. This was on another level

Hahaha yeah the nigerian impression and the whole Jussie Smollett bit was hilarious!

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Edit: oh, ok maybe literally one person complained.
Why don't you tell us what YOU think. Why do YOU think people aren't bringing that stuff up right now?

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The black trans person is also suffering bigotry from the cishet black dude you're in here defending the transphobia of, fyi
I'm not defending, I'm asking questions.
My personal experience as black man and participant on black women and black LGBT round tables gave me a perspective that many of posters here are lacking, and I think is important to ask and listen all perspective on the topic.
And honestly, I think at least I'm pushing a little bit further than most white oppressed people have done at the moment.
Because they are white, and by default, comes privilege.

I still waiting for black trans to come to the topic to talk about it.
So, they are not here? What about the white trans community here try to reach out the black trans community and ask these questions?
What are white trans afraid of? To discover they are oppressing black trans? And that they are part of the problem?

For now, still white people talking, white people that are part of an oppressed community, and obviously didn't try to reach the black counterpart about their own bigotry, which is especially what Chappelle mirror on his critique and nobody that is complaining, is addressing, because they are mostly white people.

As a straight black cis male I think it's questionable if Dave exactly has any place to be calling out white trans people in a "AHA! LOOK! YOU CAN BE RACIST JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE" manner. It frankly kind of comes off as an excuse because it seems completely founded on the idea that trans people aren't aware of this themselves and that these things aren't talked about and addressed in trans circles and I frankly don't think Dave has any idea of what is or isn't talked about amongst trans people aside from what he sees on the front of Twitter.

Basically it all sounds like he's belittling people under the halfhearted excuse of "you do bad things too" which is not really insightful and in the worst case scenario acts as a catch all excuse regardless of what the actual content of the "jokes" are.
You have something here, and maybe you are right, it is questionable.

I asked these questions because the same issue we are having here, on a internet forum, I had live in person, with white feminists and white LGBTQ.
Because it was live in person, they had no escape, and it was clear how racism pass forward as prejudice to black LGBTQ or black feminists.
That was the main reason LGBTQ and feminist I had this dialogue had no black LGBTQ person on their circle, same reason LGBTQ here on this topic dodge questions because their circle is totally white and ignore blacks on the same community.

It is white supremacy, in a oppressed community (feminists, LGBTQ) that should know better, because they know pain, they complain about the pain, but they do not think twice to forward and replicate the bigotry into a less privileged slice of the community. In this case, the black part of it.

I do not know you, but an exercise that helped me, a black man, to see the size of this issue, was ask black women how they fell about white feminism.
Or go to black LGBTQ person and ask how they feel about their white counterparts.
They will certainly have stories to tell, and similiar stories that might have been triggered by white feminists and white LGBTQ people from this same topic.

Because as a black man, and into politics, we like to think we are "one for all and all for one", but we also hear "all men are the same", but the truth is, white man and black man are not the same. We are raise different, our relationship with women is different, our link with our working mothers is different, and black men should never be included in the same bracket as white men, no matter how much money we have on our bank account. These questions raise a concern about how the "all" is for one, specifically when this one is a black person.

In this case, MY REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE, even if you are part of left wing and oppressed community, race is the major factor in all discussion.
White LGBTQ will most absolutely shit on black LGBTQ, white feminist will most absolutely shit on black women.
So, white LGBTQ, or white feminism, still have a major play on the status quo.
And what is the role of the black men in all that?

Real question, not joking... since my first post here, I'm asking questions and I want people to collaborate with answers.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending, I'm asking questions.
My personal experience as black man and participant on black women and black LGBT round tables gave me a perspective that many of posters here are lacking, and I think is important to ask and listen all perspective on the topic.
And honestly, I think at least I'm pushing a little bit further than most white oppressed people have done at the moment.
Because they are white, and by default, comes privilege.

I still waiting for black trans to come to the topic to talk about it.
So, they are not here? What about the white trans community here try to reach out the black trans community and ask these questions?
What are white trans afraid of? To discover they are oppressing black trans? And that they are part of the problem?

For now, still white people talking, white people that are part of an oppressed community, and obviously didn't try to reach the black counterpart about their own bigotry, which is especially what Chappelle mirror on his critique and nobody that is complaining, is addressing, because they are mostly white people.

You have something here, and maybe you are right, it is questionable.

I asked these questions because the same issue we are having here, on a internet forum, I had live in person, with white feminists and white LGBTQ.
Because it was live in person, they had no escape, and it was clear how racism pass forward as prejudice to black LGBTQ or black feminists.
That was the main reason LGBTQ and feminist I had this dialogue had no black LGBTQ person on their circle, same reason LGBTQ here on this topic dodge questions because their circle is totally white and ignore blacks on the same community.

It is white supremacy, in a oppressed community (feminists, LGBTQ) that should know better, because they know pain, they complain about the pain, but they do not think twice to forward and replicate the bigotry into a less privileged slice of the community. In this case, the black part of it.

I do not know you, but an exercise that helped me, a black man, to see the size of this issue, was ask black women how they fell about white feminism.
Or go to black LGBTQ person and ask how they feel about their white counterparts.
They will certainly have stories to tell, and similiar stories that might have been triggered by white feminists and white LGBTQ people from this same topic.

Because as a black man, and into politics, we like to think we are "one for all and all for one", but we also hear "all men are the same", but the truth is, white man and black man are not the same. We are raise different, our relationship with women is different, our link with our working mothers is different, and black men should never be included in the same bracket as white men, no matter how much money we have on our bank account. These questions raise a concern about how the "all" is for one, specifically when this one is a black person.

In this case, MY REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE, even if you are part of left wing and oppressed community, race is the major factor in all discussion.
White LGBTQ will most absolutely shit on black LGBTQ, white feminist will most absolutely shit on black women.
So, white LGBTQ, or white feminism, still have a major play on the status quo.
And what is the role of the black men in all that?

Real question, not joking... since my first post here, I'm asking questions and I want people to collaborate with answers.
Dave Chappelle is telling the exact same jokes a fucking whote shock jock would tell, that essentially default to lol trans women are/were men.

He's not exposing anything else beyond that, though what you seem to be really keen on doing is ascribing a bunch of shit to him mostly so you can transform any white trans voice into just a white voice. Utterly erasing that we're fucking trans too and that he's targeting us on a giant world wide platform. You're trying to deflect to a completely seperate issues that has fuck all to do with what Dave Chappelle is saying because ultimately you can't defend hwat he's actually saying so you have to change the narrative. Obviously there's racism in the trans community, obviously there's shit we need to work on. That's entirely seperate from Dave Chappelle making our very existence as trans people a punchline because he fucking wants to.

You know he damn well could tell an excellent joke abiut how trans people and gay people achieved some level of"equality" faster than black folk because unlike black folk two white parents can give birth to a trans person or a gay person, throw in a joke here about how if a white woman gave birth to a black child the white "father" would flip out.... then you could draw an example of Rachel Dolezal and how because she was white pretending to be black everyone took it real serious (where they wouldn;t in reverse) and gave her undeserved credibility while utterly abusing and appropriating trans culture to do so.

But he doesn't do that nah, he just makes lol trans women were/are men and isn't that funny.... and he'd never be able to do the Rachel Dolezal routine I suggest because at the end of the day he doesn't actually believe trans people are at all different from Rachel Dolezal.... and that really is the fucking problem.

Last edited: