• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was good. I liked his point about heroin against crack. Liked the R. Kelly bits.

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fine to call out false equivalencies, but his comedy lacks the punch it once had because he has largely abandoned the empathy he used to inject into his comedy. Which at times gave it a social gravity almost no comedians can ever reach.

The special was fine, it had its moments. None nearly as good as the height of his previous specials. The jokes mostly get like jokes you hear from comedians their first month or so workshopping new material for a special they have 8 months away. Still, he remains the most effortless comedian and it's a testament that even a half-baked Chappelle special is better than 90% of what's out there.

But it is largely mean-spirited, intellectually conservative(not in the political sense but in the cultural sense of someone that is stuck in a way about the past and rather come up with ways to rationalize behavior and thinking he doesn't want to change than actually critically think and self-critique), and often in calling out hypocrisy he misses his own. Which to me is a sign that Dave has, unfortunately, somewhat lost that magic he had to be a really interesting contemporaneous comedic voice on social issues.

There is this deep desire for him as a straight man to keep normalized transphobic humor, viewpoints, and feelings he felt comfortable using or having 10-20 years ago, which's sucks a lot of the energy out of his stand up now. Because a lot of it is just old guy unwilling to change trying to persuade everyone to remain as closed-minded as he wants to stay. It's like Bill Burr without knowing it's partially a schtick and only really focusing in on all the social justice fights he couldn't be bothered to care about.

It's a guy that today can't see the irony and contradiction in him calling out white people for Kaepernick kneeling, as he tells trans people and woman to metaphorically get off their knees and learn how to protest better because it's pissing the establishment off and their to blame for backlash. He's the guy a younger Chappelle growing up in this era would mock.
I understand where you are coming from.
For curiosity, are you white?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I hold his other specials over this one this was pretty damn good too.

Oct 31, 2017
The MJ jokes... I was smirking but felt like an asshole. Ugh.

He literally told a much better version of that joke like 15 years ago....

I gotta say, Dave has definitely lost some bite acting all edgy while saying the same shit probably 85% of stand up comics say. No one gives a fuck about Louis CK not being popular anymore, y'all are rich as fuck.

Nothing in the last two stand ups come close to the Bill Cosby bit.

Special was weak as hell.

Going out of your way to say your special is politically incorrect is corny as fuck. Dude might as well have called it "triggered" but that title was already taken by Joe Rogan.

This seriously can't be overstated.

Too many professional comedian jokes is just really standard "locker room talk" that you hear sitting round with any group of random men and hardly laugh out loud funny. Acting like it's oh so brave to make jokes about trans people is really weak, to me.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it, Chappelle does not hold back in this special at all. The way he structures he's jokes and the narrative he creates demonstrates how much of a comedic genius this guy is. I loved it. I think he's largely misunderstood since most people take he's jokes at face value and that makes them feel some kind of way. He's literally the only comedian in the industry that can discuss these topics and still make people laugh, it's insane.

Edit: epilogue is also really good.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I understand where you are coming from.
For curiosity, are you white?
Yes.

And part of what was always unique about Chappelle, from a white person's perspective, at least in in his earlier years(and even in his two recent shows to an extent) was his ability to communicate, on multiple levels, intellectually, emotionally, and almost subconsciously the inequities in our cultural dynamics in this country. Often through ways you never think. Mostly in a way that positively affected and got people that I wouldn't even have expected to empathize and see those issues they were oblivious to.

And in a special like this he almost takes those talents and focuses them in on trying to keep normalized the very sort of cultural inequities he once subverted to great success in his younger years. Whereas his comedy was never without problems when judged through contemporary eyes, it was at the time several steps ahead of the cultural curve in mainstream comedy, whereas today it seems like he is fighting to preserve where things were several steps ago.

And honestly, the only reason I hold Chappelle to a standard like this is because he lifted himself to a standard few comedians have ever reached and seeing someone fall from that is more jarring than someone like Anthony Jesselnik or Bill Burr declining in their craft. Who have never reached that level.

...Again though, all that said, still better than 90% out there. And I feel like focusing in on this misrepresents my overall feeling of the special, which was solid.

Last edited:

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
Some of this show was really really good but unfortunately a significant chunk was really REALLY terrible. The trans stuff he did in this special were just him being a dick for the sake of being a dick. He's better than that, punching down doesn't suit him at all.

I've watched the previous Netflix specials multiple times, but I think this is definitely a one and done situation. I'll have to check out the epilogue and see if that's better.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
The first half of the special is kinda rough and not that funny, but then the last half and the epilogue turn things around and we're back to classic dave.

Oct 25, 2017
I can safely say that I'm done with Chappelle after this one. I'm almost sad he came back. I would have preferred remembering him as he was rather than... this.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I love Chappelle. The epilogue was really good and it was nice to see him tell the background kind of where his head is at. The set they had in it was good too. The actual show for sure was meant to stir the pot and piss off some people, but overall I enjoyed the show. Not his best material, but more enjoyable than the last show he released on Netflix (I think).

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

And part of what was always unique about Chappelle, from a white person's perspective, at least in in his earlier years(and even in his two recent shows to an extent) was his ability to communicate, on multiple levels, intellectually, emotionally, and almost subconsciously the inequities in our cultural dynamics in this country. Often through ways you never think. Mostly in a way that positively affected and got people that I wouldn't even have expected to empathize and see those issues they were oblivious to.

And in a special like this he almost takes those talents and focuses them in on trying to keep normalized the very sort of cultural inequities he once subverted to great success in his younger years. Whereas his comedy was never without problems when judged through contemporary eyes, it was at the time several steps ahead of the cultural curve in mainstream comedy, whereas today it seems like he is fighting to preserve where things were several steps ago.

And honestly, the only reason I hold Chappelle to a standard like this is because he lifted himself to a standard few comedians have ever reached and seeing someone fall from that is more jarring than someone like Anthony Jesselnik or Bill Burr declining in their craft. Who have never reached that level.

...Again though, all that said, still better than 90% out there. And I feel like focusing in on this misrepresents my overall feeling of the special, which was solid.
Got it.
I'm black, and I asked about you been white because sometimes, among my white friends, or random posts on internet (including Era), if the person is white and left wing, or part of a group fighting against the right wing and conservatives, it seems like something is missing on translation when someone bring up hipocrisy and white privilege in a non-straight-male group, like Chappelle have been doing with his latest specials.

In most recent years, at the same time it was amazing to see oppressed people in general get into platforms and find ways to raise the voice and bring awareness to issues, it's also easy to spot how most of these voices still very white when the topic is not about racism. And this reflects on how the conversations are progressing, how issues are heard, how it is solved, how moderation on internet platforms works, even on Era. Because of that, I started to dig black feminism channels and debates, black LGBTQ channels, instead of open groups, and some stories are really awful to hear, how white feminists and white LGBTQ still treat black people. We like to think everyone holds hands together in the same boat, but that's not happening. Even during elections, the major voice of progressives, Bernie, has answers to issues that affect women and LGBTQ groups, but when asked about issues that affects directly and only blacks, he has no answers ready.

That said, I understand where most of criticism on Chappelle is coming from, but I think most of this criticism still coming from white people, and some of his metaphors and pokes about white privilege are lost in translation. And I think it would be really nice to see criticism coming from black LGBTQ, black feminists, that are involved on debates about white supremacy on their own groups.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Got it.
I'm black, and I asked about you been white because sometimes, among my white friends, or random posts on internet (including Era), if the person is white and left wing, or part of a group fighting against the right wing and conservatives, it seems like something is missing on translation when someone bring up hipocrisy and white privilege in a non-straight-male group, like Chappelle have been doing with his latest specials.

In most recent years, at the same time it was amazing to see oppressed people in general get into platforms and find ways to raise the voice and bring awareness to issues, it's also easy to spot how most of these voices still very white when the topic is not about racism. And this reflects on how the conversations are progressing, how issues are heard, how it is solved, even how moderation on internet platforms works, even on Era. Because of that, I started to dig black feminism channels and debates, black LGBTQ channels, etc, and some stories are really awful to hear, how white feminists and white LGBTQ still treat black people. We like to think everyone holds hands together in the same boat, but that's not happening. Even during elections, the major voice of progressives, Bernie, has answers to issues that affect women and LGBTQ groups, but when asked about issues that affects directly and only blacks, he has no answers ready.

That said, I understand where most of criticism on Chappelle is coming from, but I think most of this criticism still coming from white people, and some of his metaphors and pokes about white privilege are lost in translation. And I think it would be really nice to see criticism coming from black LGBTQ, black feminists, that are involved on debates about white supremacy on their own groups.
I mean, where's the white privilege in thinking that trans joke about being a Chinese person inside could've been done by a (white) radio shock jock in 1998? That shit was cornball as hell.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
As a B I have to admit, even though the show was not super deep, the LGBTQ metaphor was in point
The alphabet car was a good, insightful bit and then he had to ruin it all with the chinaman part at the end. Completely tone deaf, not to mention unintelligent, which is not a quality I associated with Dave in the past.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Just finished it,
I had a good laugh but I understand why some wouldn't like it but eh, i'm a Gen X.

I actually found the Post-Credit 20 minutes portion where he talks with the audience to be more quite interesting

May 30, 2018
Just finished it. From start to finish I was dying.

Netflix needs to extend their deal with him, I'm not sure how much specials he has left but I'm not ready for it to end.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I'm not "offended" but it just was... lacking a perspective? His last set of specials, especially the one at the Comedy Store, were funny and interesting because he really had a perspective he was speaking from. The idea of Apartheid and "imperfect allies" was absolutely fascinating, even if it was peppered with jokes about Louis dick.

This time... it was just... "I'm an attack helicopter" and "LGTBQ alphabet soup" - which felt behind the times already. As a Canadian I know it's 2SLGBTQQIA++ ... and there is definitely more alphabet material in there.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys getting this epilogue? I watched the entire thing from start to finish, credits and all, and I didn't get that. It just stops and recommends me other movies...

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the praise I'm seeing Chappelle get here is really disappointing. Reading what he says in it, just, what the fuck. He doesn't sound any better than a random Twitter edgelord, but he knows how to be funny while being one so it's considered okay I guess. Ugh.

Last edited:

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
To me it just wasn't that funny. Dave seems noticeably more angry now than he once did, and the material just feels a bit more mean spirited somehow. He's still a great story teller, but the content doesn't land nearly as often nor as poignantly for me.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the praise I'm seeing Chappelle get here is really disappointing. Reading more and more of what he says in it, just, what the fuck. He doesn't sound any better than a random Twitter edgelord, but he knows how to be funny while being one so it's considered okay I guess. Ugh.
Like seriously. The MJ stuff. The Anthony Bourdian stuff. The transphobic stuff. Just so much garbage and mean-spited-ness. Disappointing is definitely a word.

If anyone who is transgender, a victim of sexual assault or harassment, or has they themselves suffered from depression/suicidal ideation, or anyone else who identifies with any of the messed up stuff he joked about is reading this thread and totally bummed out by some of these reactions, I get you, but also know that nonetheless there are people out there that love you and your life has value and worth and there are people like me out there sending you all the love we can, and that pieces of garbage like this ain't worth it because no matter what they might say, you're you and that's enough and you're absolutely worth all the love in the world no matter what anyone else may say and I'm wishing for both the best possible now and future for you that I can. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Some are not but I too presume the majority are.

That's rather presumptuous. It couldn't just be that we're fans of his stand-up — we can't voice our enjoyment of watching something without it being secretly meant to harm others?

I don't assume that when people dislike something I enjoy that they're trying to target me. That just seems myopic and paranoid.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
There was a lot of hilarious stuff in here but I think he struck that ruminatory balance a lot better in his precious 2 specials.

On the whole still very funny but the bitterness is a little too prominent.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Got it.

In most recent years, at the same time it was amazing to see oppressed people in general get into platforms and find ways to raise the voice and bring awareness to issues, it's also easy to spot how most of these voices still very white when the topic is not about racism. And this reflects on how the conversations are progressing, how issues are heard, how it is solved, how moderation on internet platforms works, even on Era. Because of that, I started to dig black feminism channels and debates, black LGBTQ channels, instead of open groups, and some stories are really awful to hear, how white feminists and white LGBTQ still treat black people. We like to think everyone holds hands together in the same boat, but that's not happening. Even during elections, the major voice of progressives, Bernie, has answers to issues that affect women and LGBTQ groups, but when asked about issues that affects directly and only blacks, he has no answers ready.

I feel there are a lot of perspectives out there, including plenty from those groups you named, I'm really just offering thoughts. As that is all I can do.

He's a brilliant comedic artist from a technical standpoint, no doubt about it. Few have ever done it better. But for me, unfortunately, it now comes with a person behind it that has largely lost touch with what made him more than just a technically good comedian. At least to me...And I think for others too.

For me it was almost like two separate shows. The back end was classic Chappelle. The guy in his element talking about social dynamics that were very front and center when he was coming up in the comedy world. Where he often surprised in his acts with incredibly thought-provoking elements peppered into crowd-pleasing bits that subverted expectations and would articulate perspectives from marginalized people in a unique and empathy inducing way. While the first half was a guy to me that applied little of that thought process once central to his acts, demonstrating not just an apathy to the social justice inflection points that came after that period he came up in, but almost hostility at times. A guy that instead of examining his own blindspots coming up, something he was incredibly adept at getting others to see in his heyday, he is now the curmudgeon comedian trying to justify his blindspots in an almost manipulative fashion at times.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel there are a lot of perspectives out there, including plenty from
Those groups you named, I'm really just offering mine. As that is all I can do.

He's a brilliant comedic artist from a technical standpoint, no doubt about it. Few have ever done it better. But for me, unfortunately, it now comes with a person behind it that has lost touch with what made him more than just a technically good comedian. At least to me...And I think for others too.

For me it was almost like two separate shows. The back end was classic Chappelle. The guy in his element talking about social dynamics that were very front and center when he was coming up in the comedy world. Where he often surprised in his acts with incredibly thought-provoking elements peppered into crowd-pleasing bits that subverted expectations. While the first half was a guy to me that applied little of that thought process once central to his acts, demonstrating not just an apathy to the social justice inflections that came after that period, but hostility. A guy that instead of examining his own blindspots coming up, something he was incredibly adept at getting others to see in his heyday, he is now the curmudgeon comedian trying to justify his blindspots in an almost manipulative fashion at times.

Curmudgeonly. Wow, that's exactly the word to describe the first half.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's rather presumptuous. It couldn't just be that we're fans of his stand-up — we can't voice our enjoyment of watching something without it being secretly meant to harm others?

I don't assume that when people dislike something I enjoy that they're trying to target me. That just seems myopic and paranoid.
When the "jokes" you laugh at and praise make fun of trans people, and are actively harmful towards them, and when you continue to praise even though the harm he does has been explained here, I think it's pretty fair to assume you don't care much for trans people.

Last edited:

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry to be the first to inform you that stanning transphobic garbage is going to attract a sideeye or two from transpeople. It's really not that hard a concept that words have meaning, hardly a secret.

Go ahead and call it a character flaw of mine, justify it however you want as long as you spare me the same phony rhetoric that bigotted garbage is somehow something other than bigotted garbage if it's on a stage and told as a joke.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
if it's true that Chappelle in fact does still stan for MJ

i'm going to take a wild guess and say he thinks this way because he has no interest in watching the HBO doc or opening his mind to the possibility that Jackson did these things. he doesn't believe the accusers because he probably didn't even listen to the accusers. he doesn't wanna lose his perception of MJ.

If that's true, he's still redeemable imo.

if however, he watched the doc with an open mind and heard the accusers and came away from it thinking, "nope, this is bs"

well, fuck him.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all surprising to see so many people praising this (and previous shows) of a transphobic sack of shit.

Some of the shit he says wouldn't be out of place coming from a GOP, trump loving senator.

But apparently it's okay because he makes you laugh. Sigh... Everyone PRETENDS to care until it affects something they like. Just like THQ Nordic on gaming side.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Ok special. 6/10. The LGBT car bit is some old social commentary and probably wasnt as insightful as dave thought it was. It dragged on.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It was great, really good!

It kind of remind me a bit of Aziz as well.

It's another racially discriminated dude calling out discrepancies and false equivalence on the left and why it can't move forward.

Same thing has been said in black communities and exemplify why blacks are feeling that the left will always fail them, that even if is fighting the right, still always in favor of white supremacy, just another side of the coin.

Edit: And blacks that feel this way are not wrong, that's exactly what happens with the left. I feel more like that everyday, and most of my friends as well.

Basically, why Trump still winning.

How is that justification for shitting on other marginalized people?

Because racism exists it's cool to be transphobic?