• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
squints I'm trying to find the punchline here but I can't see it. Anyone who's still a fan of this guy willing to help me find it?
While I'm a fan of him in general, I don't like / defend these jokes. For this specific joke, the "funny" is built on the premise that the demand to be referred to by your preferred pronoun is supposedly ridiculous. From that premise, the "humor" is in the way (the word-choice and the delivery) he expresses incredulity at that notion. If you agree with the premise, then you likely find it amusing / funny. If you don't, then it just falls flat.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Yeah not only do I think you're full of shit that you'd be okay with that, you're also assuming we're all like you and just think that shit is fine if you just ignore it. You're defensive because you know you're not in the right here. You can't say "transphobia is bad" but also "but I still like this hateful comedian". Sorry but when it comes to hate speech you gotta pick a side or you're an enabler at best, a hypocrite at worst.

There are lots of comedians out there. It's really not hard to not watch the shitty ones. This is a super easy choice to make and yet y'all fuck it up. Done with it.
Not everyone has to react to everything the same way you do. You do know this right? Serious question as a follow-up: did you watch, actually sit and watch, the what, 3-hour Netflix special where he actually dove into trans as a subject matter at some length? How familiar with this material are you? Not the one where he's on two feet, the long one where he's sitting on a stool

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone has to react to everything the same way you do. You do know this right? Serious question as a follow-up: did you watch, actually sit and watch, the what, 3-hour Netflix special where he actually dove into trans as a subject matter at some length? How familiar with this material are you? Not the one where he's on two feet, the long one where he's sitting on a stool

It's a ridiculous sentiment to ask somebody in the group being hated on exactly how deeply they engage into material that might be harmful to their mental state.

"Yeah, I know he insults your very existence in this special, but did you watch the OTHER one hour special where he further explains himself?"

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the staggering fucking ignorance, condescension, and privilege of this post, holy shit. You're asking me if I watched the guy who questions my right to exist in full? are you fucking serious? I'm livid at this garbage you just spewed in my direction. Never talk to me again. Do not reply to this post. Go and reflect on this hateful shit you just asked me. So you know not to bother, you're on my ignore list now.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
It's a ridiculous sentiment to ask somebody in the group being hated on exactly how deeply they engage into material that might be harmful to their mental state.

"Yeah, I know he insults your very existence in this special, but did you watch the OTHER one hour special where he further explains himself?"
the staggering fucking ignorance, condescension, and privilege of this post, holy shit. You're asking me if I watched the guy who questions my right to exist in full? are you fucking serious? I'm livid at this garbage you just spewed in my direction. Never talk to me again. Do not reply to this post. Go and reflect on this hateful shit you just asked me. So you know not to bother, you're on my ignore list now.
I'll take that as a no, then. I'll just quote the interesting part from a summary of it.

He goes on to say that he reflected on the question of whether or not he has a problem with trans people, given that he so frequently makes jokes at their expense. And the conclusion Chappelle came to: "Absolutely not."

"I don't understand all the choices people make," he said. "But I do understand that life is hard, and that those types of choices do not disqualify you from a life with dignity and happiness and safety."

I have quoted the part of relevance now. No need to watch anything you don't want to.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who is only familiar with the Dave by reading about the controversy and thus has only heard the jokes detached from the empathetic underpinning would believe this was a person who is "denying your right to exist." But, and I'm saying this as the person who first raised the alarm at the old place about Dave's material on trans people after seeing him at a local show, he now strikes me as someone who is trying to get there and has the empathy but also doesn't believe that there's no humor in the subject.

Ignore me. Don't watch the specials. Block all this out if you want, that's okay. There is no one prescription for self-care.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That poster probably should have just posted the quote they were building towards sharing rather than starting with a leading question, so here's the line from that special:

"I don't understand all the choices people make," he said. "But I do understand that life is hard, and that those types of choices do not disqualify you from a life with dignity and happiness and safety."

Make of that what you will, but I really don't think Dave Chappelle questions anyone's right to exist.

While I'm a fan of him in general, I don't like / defend these jokes. For this specific joke, the "funny" is built on the premise that the demand to be referred to by your preferred pronoun is supposedly ridiculous. From that premise, the "humor" is in the way (the word-choice and the delivery) he expresses incredulity at that notion. If you agree with the premise, then you likely find it amusing / funny. If you don't, then it just falls flat.

I think it's more that the tension of an apparent emergency was undercut by chastisement over pronoun usage. I personally don't understand why anyone gives any amount of a shit at the notion of using a different one-syllable word to refer to someone, but at the same time I can see how bringing that up in the middle of a potential life-or-death situation might seem absurd.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take that as a no, then. I'll just quote the interesting part from a summary of it.

He goes on to say that he reflected on the question of whether or not he has a problem with trans people, given that he so frequently makes jokes at their expense. And the conclusion Chappelle came to: "Absolutely not."

I have quoted the part of relevance now. No need to watch anything you don't want to.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who is only familiar with the Dave by reading about the controversy and thus has only heard the jokes detached from the empathetic underpinning would believe this was a person who is "denying your right to exist." But, and I'm saying this as the person who first raised the alarm at the old place about Dave's material on trans people after seeing him at a local show, he now strikes me as someone who is trying to get there and has the empathy but also doesn't believe that there's no humor in the subject.

Ignore me. Don't watch the specials. Block all this out if you want, that's okay. There is no one prescription for self-care.

This sounds like he's saying being trans is a choice.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): dismissing concerns surrounding transphobia
Ready for the hot takes and ridiculous overreaction to the inevitable offensive jokes

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gender dysphoria might not be, but isn't transitioning a choice?

Transitioning isn't required for someone to be trans, and that kind of thinking is similar to "You can't choose to be gay, but you can choose whether to act on it." Technically neither statement is wrong that those are choices that people have to make, but whether you are trans, gay, or any other part of the LGBT+ community isn't really a choice.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Transitioning isn't required for someone to be trans, and that kind of thinking is similar to "You can't choose to be gay, but you can choose whether to act on it." Technically neither statement is wrong that those are choices that people have to make, but whether you are trans, gay, or any other part of the LGBT+ community isn't really a choice.

Sure, but it's only through the actions we choose to take that anyone outside of our own heads becomes aware of what's going on inside them. Which is not to say "therefore LGBTQ people could simply choose to live differently", just that I don't think using the word "choice" in the course of expressing a wholly supportive sentiment is inherently problematic.

And for my part, I thought "transitioning" was a broad term that covered every expression of trans identity, from making it known to others how you regard yourself all the way to reassignment surgery. If that's not accurate, that's my bad.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the shit he said in his standup, and him apparently continuing to double down in recent standups, I don't really see a reason to believe him saying he doesn't have a problem with trans people. Even in the best case scenario here he's ignoring the harm he does.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it's only through the actions we choose to take that anyone outside of our own heads becomes aware of what's going on inside them. Which is not to say "therefore LGBTQ people could simply choose to live differently", just that I don't think using the word "choice" in the course of expressing a wholly supportive sentiment is inherently problematic.

It matters because it shows that he doesn't quite get it still, and that's reflected in the fact that after he made that statement, he's still diving right back into the topic and handling it poorly. When people think of LGBT+ people as having a choice, it leads to that line of thinking that you've shown where people think we should just suppress it so that it doesn't bother anyone, or that if it's a choice that we can make, then it's one that can be undone through methods like conversion therapy. It's definitely possible that he doesn't mean it that way, but the word 'choice' has a lot of negative connotations that jump out to people in the LGBT+ community.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Is this the guy who threw a hissyfit about Key and Peele and accused them of stealing from him?

Also when are edgy comedians getting specials from Netflix like Doug Stanhope?

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
Guys, just watch after the credits, there is a 22min bonus scene with him responding some questions at stage. Some cool adition here

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the guy who threw a hissyfit about Key and Peele and accused them of stealing from him?

Also when are edgy comedians getting specials from Netflix like Doug Stanhope?
You mean the guy who made a joke about Key and Peele's sketch show having a similar format. Wouldn't call that a "hissy fit".

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was pretty weak. The questions feature was better than the actual show.

Also, people are gonna be pissed at the first half.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
The beginning with the dude dressed as a referee hits you like a hammer, so far so good Dave.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god.. it feels so wrong to be laughing at these jokes. I can already tell this thread is about to get ugly lol

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
As a fan of the last one (his smaller venue — second half), this one totally missed the mark.

I don't think I laughed hard once, and too much of it felt ignorant and mean spirited. Best part was the post show Q&A

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Some of these jokes just feel so mean spirited to the point where it's literally not funny. He's done a decent job before of straddling the line where it still remains in the realm of "funny" but not for this special.

EDIT: Though I do recommend listening to the 20 minute Q&A after his show. It at least tries to prove that there isn't any maliciousness behind most of his material but I still don't think that he hit the balance just right for this special.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The biggest problem with the MJ section is that it isn't funny. Tackle touchy subjects all you want, but be funny.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only could watch a few minutes before heading out tonight, but it definitely starts out strong with the Bourdain/lawyer friend joke.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Some of these jokes just feel so mean spirited to the point where it's literally not funny. He's done a decent job before of straddling the line where it still remains in the realm of "funny" but not for this special.
What gets me is the parts strewn in that aren't even jokes. Stuff like saying he doesn't believe the men who accused Michael Jackson and then getting that shitty applause. His last special had that kinda crap too. Stinks up the whole thing to me.