• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Why are comedians still complaining about saying anything means risking everything. It's been years man, just tell your jokes.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude A: my problem with the previous specials is the amount of time that the transphobic/problematic time took up

Dude B: in response to your very specific query about the proportion of runtime taken up by this shitty material, it's only 2 minutes [making no comment downplaying the shittiness of that 2 minutes].

The Pile: How fucking dare you excuse transphobia!!!
Dude B there pretty clearly kept downplaying the shittiness, he just also went "oh btw i sure definitely think transphobia is shitty" as a defense to anyone calling him out on him excusing it. He also wasn't responding to the someone complaining about the amount of time it took up, he was responding to me pointing out that this standup is likely Chappelle doubling down on his bullshit.

Also, don't call me a dude.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah, you did and that's not going to cut it. Rather than trying to see if someone was transphobic and getting down to it you're trying to twist my words around to make it seem as though as I'm cool and ok with the transphobia even though I've said multiple times that I wasn't. If you still wanna keep doing this then go ahead, I just can't entertain that when there's real people out there who are transphobic.

That's not gonna work here my guy. You're looking at this as it's me saying "eh it's only a few minutes, it's nothing guys" when really it's me saying "damn, I can't watch those minutes, I'll watch everything else but I don't support that and I'm voicing that I'm against it" and that's a big difference. You're looking at this as I'm so relaxed I'm letting that slide when I'm against it when the reality is nah, I'm not for that and I've stated it multiple times I'm not for it but I'm for all the other stuff.

As for the soup, bruh, this isn't a soup by any means and if it is to you then it's not a soup for everyone and that's important. A better example is that this is an album. There's 12 tracks to it, one track is a bad track, what do I do? Do you expect me to say "nah fuck this album man I can't deal with it" or do you think I'm just going to delete the bad song off and listen to the rest of the album?

The issue is that rather than you taking your anger out on Chappelle you're trying to take it out on people who dislike those comments too and just because they don't dislike everything associated with it you're like "nah fuck them." You'd rather take your anger out on those who didn't throw the album away rather than the artist itself who created the album so I ask you something, why's your way better than those who didn't toss the album when you both disliked it? I know you're mad about it but you've got the wrong idea here because your idea of not supporting something isn't the same as other's ideas of not supporting it.

At a certain point it becomes less about those who are transphobic and more about the "hey lemme try and go against someone who disagrees with these ideals as well and just because they show their displease like I do then it's screw them."

Your last comment said "maybe this fucker should be called out for putting cat shits in his fucking soup" when I've said through multiple posts that I hate those bad jokes and don't support it...as if I'm not calling him out.

It doesn't work like that for everyone and until you realize that, there's nothing else more that needs to be said.

At this point if you're still thinking I'm ok with the transphobic comments then there's nothing else to say because you'd just rather believe that than believe my words, do as you like Capo. It's less about someone being transphobic and more about an agenda here all just because I and others show displeasure differently than you do which I've said in this thread, we're all different You can even say I'm defensive all you want if it makes you feel better.

Be good.
A bad joke is not the same thing as a hateful joke. Every comedian has bad jokes. To make a hateful joke? That comes from a real shitty fucking place, and no one owes any respect to someone who keeps reaching into that place.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bad joke is not the same thing as a hateful joke. Every comedian has bad jokes. To make a hateful joke? That comes from a real shitty fucking place, and no one owes any respect to someone who keeps reaching into that place.
A lot of comedians make hateful jokes all the time, that doesn't mean that they are full of hatred towards the punchline of the joke.

A lot of times comedy is just comedy. It's a stage persona that these guys take on. I can't comment specifically on whether or not Dave Chappelle is an ally (I don't know if he donates to any LGBTQ+ foundations, etc) but I'm also not sure that his bit was how he actually feels.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
And this goes back to my first comment regarding the hateful jokes where I said if he said them...I'd hate those comments and be against them exactly like I did with the previous specials, exactly like if I tried to watch Raw and Delirious today. That's not showing them respect because, again, I hate those jokes. You can say "hey you're watching the special so you're giving him respect" but the reality is saying "I don't like that he says this" is also not showing him respect. How everyone shows respect and how everyone doesn't show respect isn't the same across the board so you equating what you'd do to me when I wouldn't act that way doesn't add up. Just because you want to show your displeasure towards something one way doesn't mean me doing it my way is wrong, that's just what I want to do.

It's like boycotting. People were saying "hey let's boycott this" and "hey let's boycott that" but when game devs commented on boycotting their games multiple game devs said "eh hey you don't have to boycott, we'd actually like you to voice your displeasure towards this instead to improve studio condotions because the comments are more effective than the boycott." That doesn't mean you can't boycott, that's just not what I'd prefer to do. In this case I'd rather be against Chappelle's transphobic comments while still watching the other stuff I like. Doesn't mean I'm for that, I just have a different way of voicing my dislike than you.

At the end of the day the crux of it revolves around if you like those jokes or not and at this point I've said "I don't rock with those jokes at all, I hate them" so many times that it's beyond me trying to explain now lol. If you still think I'm cool with it by now then go ahead. This is the last time I'll respond to this because shit, we're adults. Intent matters.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cannot wait. Dave's work today is even more impressive to me given today's climate. He treads the line really well and his work is thoughtfully executed.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like boycotting. People were saying "hey let's boycott this" and "hey let's boycott that" but when game devs commented on boycotting their games multiple game devs said "eh hey you don't have to boycott, we'd actually like you to voice your displeasure towards this instead to improve studio condotions because the comments are more effective than the boycott." That doesn't mean you can't boycott, that's just not what I'd prefer to do. In this case I'd rather be against Chappelle's transphobic comments while still watching the other stuff I like. Doesn't mean I'm for that, I just have a different way of voicing my dislike than you.
In those cases the game devs don't ask for a boycott cause people not buying their game just won't improve their working conditions. That's not comparable at all to this. In this case a boycott actually could possibly be effective as it'd mean showing Netflix that we don't want more of Dave Chappelle's bullshit. They don't give a fuck about people's criticism, they give a fuck about watch and subscription numbers. If even stuff as extreme as teens committing more suicide attempts because of 13 Reasons Why hasn't stopped them from ordering more seasons of that show, then some people complaining about a shitty comedian's transphobia won't do anything either. Going "oh btw I actually really hate transphobia despite still watching and supporting the transphobe" on some forum they don't look at especially won't do anything.

Honestly, while you shouldn't watch the standup, at this point I'm more bothered by that you're so incredibly defensive about it. At the very least all the other people in this thread who are thoughtlessly getting hyped for it haven't posted a billion paragraphs about how really they're not transphobic.

(Note: I originally said I don't give a fuck if you watch the standup. And nah, tbh, I do give a fuck, don't watch the transphobe's standup)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
At the end of the day the crux of it revolves around if you like those jokes or not and at this point I've said "I don't rock with those jokes at all, I hate them" so many times that it's beyond me trying to explain now lol. If you still think I'm cool with it by now then go ahead. This is the last time I'll respond to this because shit, we're adults. Intent matters.

Chappelle and Netflix don't care that you say you hate those jokes, they only care that you watched the special and are interested in watching further ones. That's the intent that matters, that you're still supporting the transphobic content despite saying you're against it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of comedians make hateful jokes all the time, that doesn't mean that they are full of hatred towards the punchline of the joke.

A lot of times comedy is just comedy. It's a stage persona that these guys take on. I can't comment specifically on whether or not Dave Chappelle is an ally (I don't know if he donates to any LGBTQ+ foundations, etc) but I'm also not sure that his bit was how he actually feels.

I'm pretty sure Chappelle outright is for real transphobic yes

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
In those cases the game devs don't ask for a boycott cause people not buying their game just won't improve their working conditions. That's not comparable at all to this. In this case a boycott actually could possibly be effective as it'd mean showing Netflix that we don't want more of Dave Chappelle's bullshit. They don't give a fuck about people's criticism, they give a fuck about watch and subscription numbers. If even stuff as extreme as teens committing more suicide attempts because of 13 Reasons Why hasn't stopped them from ordering more seasons of that show, then some people complaining about a shitty comedian's transphobia won't do anything either. Going "oh btw I actually really hate transphobia despite still watching and supporting the transphobe" on some forum they don't look at especially won't do anything.

Honestly, I really don't give a fuck if you watch the standup. I mean, you shouldn't, but whatever. I'm way more bothered by that you're so incredibly defensive about it. At the very least all the other people in this thread who are thoughtlessly getting hyped for it haven't posted a billion paragraphs about how really they're not transphobic.
Homie, you can keep saying what you want but like I said in my last post to you on the previous page, there's really people out there transphobic and you're twisting my words to try and make a point when it's a serious subject. I just can't entertain that. No offense but this is my last response to you.
Chappelle and Netflix don't care that you say you hate those jokes, they only care that you watched the special and are interested in watching further ones. That's the intent that matters, that you're still supporting the transphobic content despite saying you're against it.
And like I said, everyone's idea of what it means to support is different. What you think means supporting isn't what we all mean. It varies from person to person. My idea of supporting is being verbally against it which has actually been the most effective way to takedown comedians these past few years. Theres been so many who received backlash over the past 5 years. That's the motto. Either way that's me. If you disagree then hey you've got your own.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Homie, you can keep saying what you want but like I said in my last post to you on the previous page, there's really people out there transphobic and you're twisting my words to try and make a point when it's a serious subject. I just can't entertain that. No offense but this is my last response to you.

And like I said, everyone's idea of what it means to support is different. What you think means supporting isn't what we all mean. It varies from person to person. My idea of supporting is being verbally against it. If you disagree then hey you've got your own.
Lmao how you support the standup isn't a matter of opinion. You either give him more views or you don't.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely having trouble parsing this.
Is everything that a comedian jokes about their feelings towards that group how they feel? Look at someone like Anthony Jeselnik he has made a career on hateful jokes. Yet the dude, from what I've know/see is a pretty stand up guy. His comedy is just dark and shock humor.

edit: For the record I'm not dismissing anyone's complaints or thoughts on Chappelle they are all perfectly valid. I don't know that he is transphobic and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to jokes equaling his actual feelings regarding the matter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is everything that a comedian jokes about their feelings towards that group how they feel? Look at someone like Anthony Jeselnik he has made a career on hateful jokes. Yet the dude, from what I've know/see is a pretty stand up guy. His comedy is just dark and shock humor.
Even if Chappelle somehow wasn't seriously transphobic, the jokes are still harmful. And considering that he's doubling down and being defensive it's especially clear that he means it.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Excited for the graveyard the official thread will turn into

lmao just caught up on this thread...

why wait for the OT!

Why are comedians still complaining about saying anything means risking everything. It's been years man, just tell your jokes.

damn just realizing that this is going to be one of the main topics of the special. smh. i want to give Dave the benefit of the doubt because of how different the way he thinks on things, but please noooo

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me how it's humanly possible to make a shirt that long. Has science advanced that much?

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last special I saw was Jeselnik's Fire in the Maternity Ward. A little dissapointing after Thoughts and Prayers. Really looking forward to this new Chappelle special.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loved Dave Chappelle but fell out bc of his antics, the show I went to last week was underwhelming if not a little disappointing. I was hoping to see growth but it didn't seem like he cared.

He spent a good 30 mins or more complaining about people's responses to Louis CK, his insensitivity, Kevin Hart, people being too sensitive, etc. Some people even cheered him over some of the remarks, which was a little disconcerting. coming to the defense of fucking assholes like CK and Hart was really bleh.

He had some good bits though. Won't spoil it for you all but once he moved away from his bullshit, he is funny.

Michael Che, who was part of the opening act, was funnier.

Man, don't ever listen to Che on Legion of Skanks if you think Chappelle is offensive.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He spent a good 30 mins or more complaining about people's responses to Louis CK, his insensitivity, Kevin Hart, people being too sensitive, etc. Some people even cheered him over some of the remarks, which was a little disconcerting. coming to the defense of fucking assholes like CK and Hart was really bleh.

Oh nooooo. I was really looking forward to this but if this is the case I'm out. Already hated the first one where he defended Louis and that was fairly short and I still couldn't handle it.

Nov 1, 2017
Why do y'all do this shit? How do you have people in here talking about how these jokes have impacted them and others like them over the years, explain why they are harmful and then deflect with this fucking bullshit? We've had trans people on this site make topics expressing how distressed they were at how they are treated, some of which were about how bad of a place they were in because of it. Add to that the defense of C.K. and you broaden the net even further to all of the people harmed by sexual harassment and assault, some of whom surprisingly I know may be done with him for that.

Maybe because it's a recurring theme in how he has talked about it since his last specials they are rightfully guarded because if present it helps support an environment results in more stigma, trauma and violence for their communitues?

You're right though that can't be it they're just performing for others./s

Watched Dave for years and haven't watched a single one of these specials since he became another weak ass rich dude whining about how he can't say what he wants to say even though he has enough money and influence that he could get his shit out there if he really wanted.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
Extremely disappointing to hear about his recent performances era members went to. Was hoping he would double down on the below quote from his Equanimity special to help spread a positive message, his audience is huge.

"So if I'm on stage and I tell a joke that makes you want to beat up a transgender, then you're probably a piece of shit and don't come see me anymore."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all, this is a standup called "Sticks & Stones", from someone who in his last standup was super transphobic, and it has a teaser in which the narrator goes on about how "dangerous" it is to tell jokes for a living these days.

Maybe don't be so excited for this. Unless you're actually looking forward to what'll probably be Dave Chappelle doubling down on his transphobia.

Do what you feel, but dont waste your time trying to tell other people to stop having fun. When was the last time that actually worked for you? It's not going to here either. If you dont want to watch the special then don't, but its not going to stop anyone else from doing so. The forum has a built in feature for ignoring threads. Make use of it if it bothers you.

How tf are people already arguing about the content of a special that hasn't released yet

ResetERA.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what you feel, but dont waste your time trying to tell other people to stop having fun. When was the last time that actually worked for you? It's not going to here either. If you dont want to watch the special then don't, but its not going to stop anyone else from doing so. The forum has a built in feature for ignoring threads. Make use of it if it bothers you.
If to you fun is making fun of trans people, then yes I'm going to tell you to stop having fun.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Backseat modding
If to you fun is making fun of trans people, then yes I'm going to tell you to stop having fun.

Just trying to save you the time, and eventual ban when the OT comes out. But hey, if you think this little tactic of putting words in peoples mouths and blatantly misrepresenting folks in order to try and force them to do what you want is kosher then by all means knock yourself out. Waste of time though.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Backseat modding, misrepresenting members.
Just trying to save you the time, and eventual ban when the OT comes out. But hey, if you think this little tactic of putting words in peoples mouths and blatantly misrepresenting folks in order to try and force them to do what you want is kosher then by all means knock yourself out. Waste of time though.
If the mods do their job, then you might not want to be so sure of who the people who'll get banned are lol.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): dismissing concerns over transphobia, false equivalences
Why do y'all do this shit? How do you have people in here talking about how these jokes have impacted them and others like them over the years, explain why they are harmful and then deflect with this fucking bullshit? We've had trans people on this site make topics expressing how distressed they were at how they are treated, some of which were about how bad of a place they were in because of it. Add to that the defense of C.K. and you broaden the net even further to all of the people harmed by sexual harassment and assault, some of whom surprisingly I know may be done with him for that.

Maybe because it's a recurring theme in how he has talked about it since his last specials they are rightfully guarded because if present it helps support an environment results in more stigma, trauma and violence for their communitues?

You're right though that can't be it they're just performing for others./s

Watched Dave for years and haven't watched a single one of these specials since he became another weak ass rich dude whining about how he can't say what he wants to say even though he has enough money and influence that he could get his shit out there if he really wanted.

Because at some point, we have to be able to collectively have a sense of humor about sensitive topics again. It can't ALWAYS be perfectly PC. And there's a growing backlash to the incessant "perfectly PC or else" dialogue that ultimately causes generally liberal people to move to the center because they get tired of being beat over the head with every little thing.

It's like when I was a vegetarian in my late teens. It wasn't good enough for my vegan friends, who weren't good enough for monks that sweep in front of themselves to avoid killing bugs, etc.

At some point, in some situations, a certain level of inappropriateness has to be ok if there is no intent to harm. Because otherwise, we're all spending our lives sweeping for fucking bugs. It's unreasonable, and counterproductive.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because at some point, we have to be able to collectively have a sense of humor about sensitive topics again. It can't ALWAYS be perfectly PC. And there's a growing backlash to the incessant "perfectly PC or else" dialogue that ultimately causes generally liberal people to move to the center because they get tired of being beat over the head with every little thing.

It's like when I was a vegetarian in my late teens. It wasn't good enough for my vegan friends, who weren't good enough for monks that sweep in front of themselves to avoid killing bugs, etc.

At some point, in some situations, a certain level of inappropriateness has to be ok if there is no intent to harm. Because otherwise, we're all spending our lives sweeping for fucking bugs. It's unreasonable, and counterproductive.

Maybe when transgender people aren't ostracized and murdered, made an other in almost every realm of existence...maybe when them just living isn't considered an exercise in extreme sports, maybe then we can think about making shitty jokes.

Until that day, all it's doing is making an already dangerous life more dangerous.

Miss me with that "perfectly PC" shit. Too many people want to opt-in on being an ally when it's convenient. Fuck people like that.

Also, maybe don't inadvertently compare a fucking dietary decision to being a trans person.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I saw him in London a couple of months ago, I'm fairly sure it'll feature material from that show. Talks about Chuck Berry's piss tape, the MJ doc and defending Kevin Hart.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, even if Chappelle didn't intent to harm and was just being ignorant (which, he isn't, he's doubling down so it's clear he's being malicious at this point), that doesn't stop him spouting his transphobic views any less harmful. It'd be something if he actually apologized and tried to be better but he isn't doing that. Instead he's making a standup special about how he can't just be transphobic these days. It's very far from him messing up not being "perfectly PC".

Also, jfc this isn't comparable to you disappointing your vegan friends.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ResetERA.gif

I think it's incredibly unfair and hurtful of you to make generalizations about Era or act like the trans and non-binary posters in here are just raining on your parade when Dave Chappelle has shown time and time again that he does not respect who we are and flagrantly flaunts transphobia in his specials. There are people in this thread who say that they've seen him live recently and that he will be going back into those topics again, and rightfully so, trans people are upset with him and concerned about how this is going to impact us even further.

If you don't recall, Chappelle's previous jokes about trans people were like this :

In relation to the military ban : "If I was in ISIS in the trenches fighting against the United States and all of the sudden I see a man with a beard and big D-cups titties just rushing my foxhole and shit, I'd be horrified."

"Chappelle tells a story about being at a party where a trans girl gets high or drunk and proceeds to get sick and pass out. For Chappelle, "Whatever it was, it was definitely a man in a dress." He moseys over and unassumingly asks, "Is he okay?" He's admonished for using the wrong pronoun and now is immediately offended. "I support anyone's right to be who they are inside, but to what degree do I have to participate in your self-image? Why do I have to switch up my pronoun game for this motherfucker?" "

""I read in the paper that Caitlyn Jenner was contemplating posing nude in an upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated. And I knew it was politically incorrect to say, so I figured I'd just say it for everybody — yuck. Fuck, man, I just want to read some stats, like why are you cramming man-pussy in the middle of the sports page like that?"

Frankly, I don't trust anyone who laughs at those first two jokes there to genuinely see me as a woman and not the 'man in a dress' that Chappelle tries to paint me as, but even if there are people who are supportive of trans people completely and find those jokes funny out there, it does not diminish the amount of harm that jokes like these can have. The fact of the matter is, we live in a world that is incredibly harsh and hateful towards trans people and most people aren't concerned about it. They don't talk about or understand trans issues in-depth because it doesn't effect them, and that can lead to things like the above where trans jokes that mock our very identity are unfortunately becoming more and more popular with stand up comedians.

I grew up in a small country town in the state of Georgia, one that leans heavily conservative, and I felt the effects that something that is "just jokes" can have on people's perceptions. When I was in middle school, I remember the South Park episode about Mrs. Garrison's transition and surgery start to make the rounds. It was one where it's made out to be a big joke, one character decides to transition to be black to be better at basketball, and another transitions to be a dolphin just because, and even has a line like this in it :

"Mrs. Garrison: That means I'm not really a woman! I'm just a guy with a mutilated penis!
Doctor: Basically, yes. "

All of a sudden everyone around me was emboldened to start talking about how gross trans people were, and that episode is something I would hear about constantly for years and years whenever trans issues came up. Past that, another quote that I heard consistently much later was from Ted 2 that was "There are no chicks with dicks, only dudes with tits"

All of these are intended to be jokes that are funny for the audience watching, but they ignore the people who are actually the focus of the joke. Personally speaking, I was not comfortable coming out or ever opening up to family or friends as they would show how they felt about trans people through their first interaction with them through South Park. You might think that we just need a thicker skin or that even if these jokes hurt our feelings that it isn't a big deal, but it's hard to really express how emboldening transphobia and seeing people laugh and make fun of your existence hurts.

This is only roughly related, but I wanted to include this in here to help illustrate why these kind of jokes are harmful and why there's such a strong reaction to it in this thread. Dave Chappelle and South Park's jokes ultimately boil down to "You're not really a woman, you're just a man" and this study shows how depression and suicide rates go down when people know that they're in supportive environments and shown that their identities are valid :

Researchers interviewed transgender youths ages 15 to 21 and asked whether young people could use their chosen name at school, home, work and with friends. Compared with peers who could not use their chosen name in any context, young people who could use their name in all four areas experienced 71 percent fewer symptoms of severe depression, a 34 percent decrease in reported thoughts of suicide and a 65 percent decrease in suicidal attempts.

I also want to add here at the end that you're not a bad person if you watch Dave Chappelle or South Park, and it doesn't automatically mean that you're a horrible transphobic person. It's entirely possible to enjoy something for what it is while acknowledging the problematic aspects of it. That's a reality that most people can't really escape. It does sting a little to know that he hasn't crossed a line that would make people stop supporting him at this point, but I also understand how people can make that distinction. I know that the emotions can be a little high in these threads, and I'm certainly no stranger to contributing there, but just try and understand why this is so important to us and don't downplay the negative side of his comedy. We're emotional about this because it matters and his voice reaches far more than we realize.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"Chappelle tells a story about being at a party where a trans girl gets high or drunk and proceeds to get sick and pass out. For Chappelle, "Whatever it was, it was definitely a man in a dress." He moseys over and unassumingly asks, "Is he okay?" He's admonished for using the wrong pronoun and now is immediately offended. "I support anyone's right to be who they are inside, but to what degree do I have to participate in your self-image? Why do I have to switch up my pronoun game for this motherfucker?"

squints I'm trying to find the punchline here but I can't see it. Anyone who's still a fan of this guy willing to help me find it?