• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's exactly what happened at his most recent show. Saw him and Jon Stewart last week. Chappelle just doubles down on his transphobia and even mentions how an up and coming transgendered comedian loved and supported his jokes. It was the "I have a black friend" line of defense.

He also defended Kevin Hart and Louis CK. It was a disappointment.
I imagine that that's exactly what this standup will be.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love ya Dave but the framing one of the top five most famous and widely renowned comedians on the planet doing a Netflix special for millions of dollars as 'risking it all' is hilariously overwrought. i swear standup comedians are some of the most self-important motherfuckers on the planet

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Wish I could be excited, but there was just so much fuckery in the last two specials he did.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, this is a standup called "Sticks & Stones", from someone who in his last standup was super transphobic, and it has a teaser in which the narrator goes on about how "dangerous" it is to tell jokes for a living these days.

Maybe don't be so excited for this. Unless you're actually looking forward to what'll probably be Dave Chappelle doubling down on his transphobia.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
i'm in, dave is just funny
( and when people have complaints, he does seem earnest in hearing therm )
i love dave, here we go

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, this is a standup "Sticks & Stones", from someone who in his last standup was super transphobic, and it has a teaser in which the narrator goes on about how "dangerous" it is to tell jokes for a living these days.

Maybe don't be so excited for this. Unless you're actually looking forward to what'll probably be Dave Chappelle doubling down on his transphobia.
I'm pretty sure that I and most of the others here aren't looking forward to the transpobic lines and are instead looking forward to everything else he's talking about. As with all comedy specials I've seen, I never fully agree with everything the comics speak about, there's always something I'm against and it's no different with Chappelle's Netflix specials. While those comments are wild to me, the other stuff he says I rock with.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that I and most of the others here aren't looking forward to the transpobic lines and are instead looking forward to everything else he's talking about. As with all comedy specials I've seen, I never fully agree with everything the comics speak about, there's always something I'm against and it's no different with Chappelle's Netflix specials. While those comments are wild to me, the other stuff he says I rock with.
It's pretty clear what the main subject of this will be.

Someone in here also already said what his recent standup was like, and going by the title I imagine it's like the material that this will have:
It's exactly what happened at his most recent show. Saw him and Jon Stewart last week. Chappelle just doubles down on his transphobia and even mentions how an up and coming transgendered comedian loved and supported his jokes. It was the "I have a black friend" line of defense.

Jun 22, 2019

Christ.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just going to be an hour of him making trans jokes and defending convicted rapists?

I'm kinda sick of that tbh

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear what the main subject of this will be.

Someone in here also already said what his recent standup was like, and going by the title I imagine it's like the material that this will have:
That can be the main subject of the special but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If most of his special's about that negativity? I'll hate it. If some of it is? I'll hate those parts. If all of it is? I'll hate those parts too. It's something I'm going to have to see for myself. I'm not going to judge it without having seen it yet like when it comes to other forms of media. I doubt he's going to go hard in the paint for it the entire hour, even when other specials have had their titles and subjects about the main point he's never done that.

Dec 1, 2017
Sounds like we're about to be in for an hour+ of him whining about not being to say unfunny trans jokes without being criticized. Just be funny.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
If you like Chappelle make sure you watch the Jamie Foxx episode on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

Oct 30, 2017
Do people really not realize that's a fairly fashionable shirt style now? I guess it might be slightly dated but that style of short being surprising to folks is weird.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That can be the main subject of the special but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If most of his special's about that negativity? I'll hate it. If some of it is? I'll hate those parts. If all of it is? I'll hate those parts too. It's something I'm going to have to see for myself. I'm not going to judge it without having seen it yet like when it comes to other forms of media. I doubt he's going to go hard in the paint for it the entire hour, even when other specials have had their titles and subjects about the main point he's never done that.
As someone who loved Dave Chappelle but fell out bc of his antics, the show I went to last week was underwhelming if not a little disappointing. I was hoping to see growth but it didn't seem like he cared.

He spent a good 30 mins or more complaining about people's responses to Louis CK, his insensitivity, Kevin Hart, people being too sensitive, etc. Some people even cheered him over some of the remarks, which was a little disconcerting. coming to the defense of fucking assholes like CK and Hart was really bleh.

He had some good bits though. Won't spoil it for you all but once he moved away from his bullshit, he is funny.

Michael Che, who was part of the opening act, was funnier.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
My problem is that between the transphobic shit, the terrible unfunny gay jokes, and the whole #metoo bit, the bad parts took up a significant part of his last couple specials.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018

Saw this same show the other weekend. Yep, he goes back to those same wells.

He also mentioned at the show that he was going to be back on Netflix at the end of the month. I was surprised he dropped that info since no press releases had been sent out, at that point. He also alluded to the fact that some of his bits from that night would be on the Netflix special.

You just reminded me, him defending Louis CK really pissed me off. I'm usually cool with other jokes because I think there is a lot of humor in fucked up situations, and certain events (e.g., Kevin Hart) have more nuance to them. Louis CK is indefensible to me though. There were also a couple Michael Jackson jokes that crossed some lines.

Last edited:

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this same show the other weekend. Yep, he goes back to those same wells.

He also mentioned at the show that he was going to be back on Netflix at the end of the month. I was surprised he dropped that info since no press releases had been sent out, at that point. He also alluded to the fact that some of his bits from that night would be on the Netflix special.

You just reminded me, him defending Louis CK really pissed me off. I'm usually cool with other jokes because I think there is a lot of humor in fucked up situations, and certain events (e.g., Kevin Hart) have more nuance to them. Louis CK is indefensible to me though. There were also a couple Michael Jackson jokes that crossed some lines.
Yeah those Michael Jackson stuff.......I was like nah Dave. Don't do that.