• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
What a terrible idea. The worst place to attempt this. You are risking way too much for too little gain.

There could be a lot of asssumptions made of what the person was doing. It just takes 1 person assuming the absolute worst to escalate the situation to a critical point.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Because young people are born into this world daily, and they grow up and become teenagers and might not be able to think rationally and are easily influenced by a ton of stuff, and their parents and friends might be bigots, and when they go online I don't want them to be swayed by people like Ben Shapiro or Dave Chappelle, or videos titled "Jordan Peterson calmly DISMANTLES a raging feminist", or now, possibly, "irrational CRAZY SJW assaults comedic genius Dave Chappelle for a joke C'MON TAKE A JOKE FREEDOM OF SPEECH", I want them to be able to see Dave as an idiot, a bigot with outdated, evil views, who gets celebrated by morons. Stuff like this makes it harder, not sure how you can't see that.
I can't see that because it's nonsensical and treats this incident like it's in a vacuum. Like had this not happened there wouldn't be incels talking about CRAZY SJWs and demonising trans people. Like they don't say those exact things in response to trans people showing any degree of backbone against transphobia. already.

It's not alt right wierdos you need to be worried about, it's the "moderates" who will keep citing this incident to portray "both sides are bad" bullshit and think that trans people are unhinged. It just makes things harder for trans individuals to fight back.
Except those 'moderates' already pearl-clutch about almost any pushback the trans community gives, especially toward comedians or famous people. I'm also not sure I'm going to be too concerned about the person who sees a cis person tackle someone and their response is "damn trans people are unhinged". What makes it harder for trans people to fight back are those moderates in the first place. The fairweather allies who tut-tut anything short of a smile and a nod in the face of bigotry.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about this so how big is this Chappelle guy ? What is his hate campaign about ?
From an external POV, I thought he was a has-been humourist with bigotted view whose only influence is because some alt righ TV interviews.

he's one of the richest and well known comedians in the world, he's been doing trans jokes for the last 6 or 7 years which have been grabbing headlines.

Last special he promised to stop doing trans jokes though, seems that's not the case

Last edited:

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
do we know the attack was because of trans jokes or is everyone just assuming?

As far as we know, Jesus appearing in his cereals and telling him to do it is a valid option...

Fun fact: They would cite this incident as such even if it has nothing to do with trans folks.

You're linking this incident to trans folks, justifying the attack with "his words are violence, so he's a fair target"

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Random person tackles Chappelle.

"Well this just gives him and others more ammunition to attack trans people"

giphy.gif

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Random person tackles Chappelle.

"Well this just gives him and others more ammunition to attack trans people"

giphy.gif

I'm sorry that you can't see how he can (and probably will) turn this around in his favor, because I do agree with your point of view, but oh well.

And to reply to your previous post, this incident is in a vacuum in a way, because Chappelle is huge, is heavily advertised on Netflix and he used to be the author of an extremely popular show that people continue to discover to this day, and that paints him in a completely different light than how he behaves today.
All of this ties back to my previous posts about young people being swayed by far-right views. Again, sorry you can't see how that is a larger problem than usual.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was the attacker thinking? In what universe would it result in anything different as their now broken bones and Chapelle making fun of them.

Now Chapelle has another story to tell on his next Netflix special.

Violence is not the answer = everything gets worse
Violence is the answer = everything gets worse

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I'm sorry that you can't see how he can (and probably will) turn this around in his favor, because I do agree with your point of view, but oh well.

And to reply to your previous post, this incident is in a vacuum in a way, because Chappelle is huge, is heavily advertised on Netflix and he used to be the author of an extremely popular show that people continue to discover to this day, and that paints him in a completely different light than how he behaves today.
All of this ties back to my previous posts about young people being swayed by far-right views. Again, sorry you can't see how that is a larger problem than usual.
Are you trying to come off like a condescending jerk, because if not, that's what you're doing anyway.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Where is this hypothetical person that's like

1)Dave shitting on trans folks for years in a major media platform = Omg, Dave is wrong.

2)Dave (hypothetically, we dont know this guys views) gets attacked because of it = Omg, Dave was right. They are like Al Queda!

Respectability politics don't work if the other aide has zilch respect for your humanity.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah real smart. Tackle a world famous comedian who is known for having goons with him. Great way to get fucked up.

wakuboys

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
That's too bad, I am glad Chapelle is alright. Unless there's something I missed we don't really know what the motivation of the tackler is. Of course, it will likely be construed that it was a trans person/TRA even though we don't know yet. I'm certain all the right-wing circles are busy building up a "violent trans" narrative when they don't know jack.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Fucking idiot. That shit is going to do nothing but make it harder on people that pay for other shows and presentations. He got his ass kicked after and Dave is fine. He paid to see the show so Dave got his money, he got his ass kicked afterwards, he went to jail and now with a record. What a complete dumb ass.

There are better ways to handle these things. He's in more trouble than he was before this incident.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

No need to be apologise, it's ok. It isn't in a vacuum in any way though. All of your points as to his size and platform were true before now, when he was content to push transphobia to a wide audience. If he chooses to use this incident to beat down on trans people then it's no different to when he used any other excuse to beat down on us before. He doesn't need ammunition to attack trans people, it's what he does willingly off of his own volition. Whether this happened or didn't happen doesn't change the outcome being him continuing to incorporate transphobia in his stand-up. He's already said we aren't real women, has gone into detail about our vaginas, has supported JK Rowling, said he's on team TERF and called us irrational and crazy.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Concern Trolling; Prior Ban for Transphobia; Account in Junior Phase
Last time you were active was during the Will Smith thing. This should be interesting.

You're correct. I guess I am saddened by Era condoning violence, it really does shock me that a place like this that can be so accepting of different kinds of people from all walks of life, but then also be so immature, crass & violent.

No one is excusing Dave or Rock's behavior, but accepting violence as a solution, is not ok ever :(

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you took a massive L on stage, got stomped out so hard you look like a child's broken action figure, are probably gonna get hit with assault charges, gave Chapelle ammo to make more transphobic comments, probably brought down more heat on Will Smith, and you paid money to do this.

You were the biggest joke of that night

May 28, 2020
Just in before this get locked:

I'm just so fucking tired. Exhausted by all the bullshit.

The "violence is not the answer" argument is so damn convenient, when you're not the minority being systematically hunted, laughed at, beaten down and marginalized.

It's not even that we're rewarding a system that's broken, we're constantly rewarding a system that's functioning as intended while dehumanizing and stepping upon our group. So many free passes for shitty people in positions of power, even though whenever shit comes close to hitting back everyone's more willing and happy to portray moralism towards the fucking transphobe.

I don't even care what the intentions for this attack were, or whoever the attacker is.

Simply tired, because the priority is always the safety of hateful individuals like Chappelle.
the priority is for the protection of the person who everyone paid to see. If it was a trans celebrity being attacked on staged it would've played out the same way

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're correct. I guess I am saddened by Era condoning violence, it really does shock me that a place like this that can be so accepting of different kinds of people from all walks of life, but then also be so immature, crass & violent.

No one is excusing Dave or Rock's behavior, but accepting violence as a solution, is not ok ever :(

To say this in the context of LGBTQ+ bigotry is asinine. Let me guess, you weren't a big fan of the Stonewall Riots either?

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you took a massive L on stage, got stomped out so hard you look like a child's broken action figure, are probably gonna get hit with assault charges, gave Chapelle ammo to make more transphobic comments, probably brought down more heat on Will Smith, and you paid money to do this.

You were the biggest joke of that night
Yep.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

lol. Imagine having this take in 2022 looking at the world. Where has there been a civil rights victory that wasn't built off violence?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
To say this in the context of LGBTQ+ bigotry is asinine. Let me guess, you weren't a big fan of the Stonewall Riots either?

This.

People whose only mention of trans people in 4 years is this thread suddenly becoming fountains of knowledge on what makes trans people's lives harder.

Imagine telling trans folks how hard transphobia makes their lives.

lol. Imagine having this take in 2022 looking at the world. Where has there been a civil rights victory that wasn't built off violence?

This.

The rights we enjoy in this country came from violence. I'll be the first to say that I wish everything can be and was solved peacefully.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

What are your thoughts on this?

www.cnn.com

White nationalist Richard Spencer punched during interview | CNN Politics

Video posted online by Australian media outlet shows the alt-right founder being interrupted by individuals off camera near Donald Trump's inauguration.

Oct 30, 2017
What are your thoughts on this?

www.cnn.com

White nationalist Richard Spencer punched during interview | CNN Politics

Video posted online by Australian media outlet shows the alt-right founder being interrupted by individuals off camera near Donald Trump's inauguration.
It's pointless. This absolute thinking regarding violence is such bullshit grandstanding. Put me in a situation where I'm threatened or put in a position to get violent and I'm not thinking about whether some nerds on ERA would condone my behavior. The mutant levels of passivity in this place is ridiculous.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As much as I get wanting to tackle Dave it's not worth it. As seen in the follow up material your going to get the ever loving shit beaten out of you once security and his entourage realize what happened.

May 14, 2021

Much like the penalty for breaking into someone's home isn't death, you accept that you could die when you engage in that behavior. Likewise if you preach hate for a living, you should accept the possibility that hate may roll up on you at some point.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a dumb thing to do, now he is all fucked up going to jail while Chappelle laughs all the way to the bank.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Lol, this incident couldn't have not turned into a shitshow of a thread on this forum.

People whose only mention of trans people in 4 years is this thread suddenly becoming fountains of knowledge on what makes trans people's lives harder.
In part due to this eternal phenomenon. 👆

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

You're as obvious as they come, despite putting a sadface in every post :(

Status
Not open for further replies.