• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This is the equivalent of a racist proudly admitting he's a racist, after spewing racist "jokes" for years and then going "I'll do some more racist jokes when we can laugh at them together"... Like, bitch, no!!

It's still fucking mindboggling to me. Saying you believe transwomen are women and then almost in the same breath announce that you're a TERF. I fucking can't...

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
He later tries to qualify this material by telling a story about Daphne Dorman, a white transgender woman who loved his trans jokes and whom Chappelle befriended before she took her own life in October 2019, shortly after he'd given her a shoutout in his Netflix special Sticks & Stones. Chappelle reveals that he's started a trust fund to pay for Daphne's daughter's college education, and that he won't be doing any more LGBTQ jokes "until we are both sure that we are laughing together. I'm telling you, it's done. I'm done talking about it. All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people."
So, wait, a trans woman liked his jokes, she then killed herself, and this has caused him to have an epiphany and stop doing LGBT+ jokes...after he had a long, semi-jokeless screed about trans people earlier in this very special...and then he asks trans people to stop attacking...Black people? Black comedians specifically? What??

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I generally don't like stand up comedians. They always resort of to hateful rhetoric to rile up the white cis straights and look down on minorities. And it's not funny jokes either. And I am not saying this because the jokes are harmful. Literally just go listen to comedians give homophobic or transphobic jokes. They are always shallow and completely depend on stereotypes.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I just don't get why he's obsessed with these jokes?

The trans community is amongst the most marginalized in the world. It's like the dude is stuck in the 90s here.

He's still good. But his obsession with making mean spirited trans jokes is baffling.

It's like he heard the criticism and started pouting like a toddler about being criticized, so he doubled down.
Same here, was watching first half hour of the special and it was just rambling about LGBTQ. And i actually liked his previous specials, but man Dave, just say you're wrong and move on to other material that you actually know.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
When he was making gay and Trans jokes on his 1st or 2nd stand up special, even then it was getting a side eye from me. Honestly a bit surprised he's as popular as he still is

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Insane how he could've just done the "I'm done doing LGTBQ+ jokes until we're both laughing together" and been done with it and instead goes hard on the persecution parade.

He's lost the plot. Truly appalling. These are your would be allies. This is what racists and republicans want, for us to tear ourselves down and not focus on them. Absolutely heartbreaking. And people are going to suffer for this. Kids and adults alike will mimmic these jokes and use this to bully, misgender, torment and…. I just can't anymore man.

fuck chapelle and fuck terf's how fucking hard is it to stay in your damn ignorant lane and leave good people the fuck alone.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
I'm guessing when Dave was attacked for his previous 'jokes' in the past, instead of learning from it and why people were bothered, he decided to double down instead. Whenever he brings this topic up, it just sounds like he's venting on stage about how he's the victim in this situation. It just makes him look even more out of touch and it's tiring to watch. It's not even an 'act' anymore, it's just whining.

I don't understand why people who say 'yeah a transgender woman is a real woman' then feel the need to slip in 'but not REALLY' every single time. It sounds like you're just placating people but you don't understand, nor do you want to understand.

You'd think that after a transgender friend of his took their life he would at the very least shut up about it, but now he's supporting TERF instead. Amazing.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you become a terf it consumes you until there isnt anything else left.

It's not that hes obsessed, he just cant think of anything else anymore.

I sometimes wonder what causes this, look at Graham Linehan the guy straight up torpedoed his whole life (personal and private) to spout his hatred.

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
Since coming back, it seems most of Chappelle's shtick revolves around complaining about companies that owe him money and shitting on the LGBTQ+ community. It's just an hour+ of him sounding so bitter and malicious. I used to enjoy the guy but in 2021 I really don't know how anyone can sit down and actually watch this shit.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It really pissed me off watching it. He spends 15 minutes talking about how he had a trans friend and thinks that gives him a pass to say whatever he wants about trans people. Like motherfucker, you're black. How many times have you heard "I'm not racist, I have a black friend" and then you go and use the same shit on trans people. You weren't handed a trans pass. He just keeps doubling down and not listening to people. In the three years he's been spewing his shit with all the time he's had to reflect on this, he didn't even bother to learn what gender identity is as evidenced by his incoherent rant about everyone passing through a vagina.

He also continues to double down on his me-too jokes and anti LGBTQ jokes. In his previous special he called us "Alphabet People' and had a whole bit about how you can't upset the alphabet people because comedy central wanted to bleep "faggot" when they let him say the n-word. Completely missing that he's not gay so not entitled to take back a word that's not his to use. And now in this special he dismisses us by tacking LMNOP on to LGBT while saying he won't make any more jokes about us until we can laugh together. He insults the way women try to protest and tries to compare it to him doing something "real" by turning down $50 million. Well cool Dave, not all of us are rich and have a platform to do such a thing. And while approaches to protesting aren't immune to criticism, you don't get to talk about how great you are for turning down money and then showing up years later to receive obscene amounts of money to use your platform to shit on another oppressed group.

This is a guy who got called out on his shit multiple times and instead of reflecting on it he went Seymour Skinner its-the-children-who-are-wrong and then spent most of his nearly jokeless special shitting on trans people. You want us to laugh together, Dave? Listen to what they're saying. It's okay to admit you were wrong. It's okay to apologize. It's okay to shut the fuck up.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To the extent that it's damn, did you catch feelings over some trans woman or something? That's usually how it goes when it comes to this whole "lol I can tell, you know. I can definitely tell. Trust me guys, I can tell" obsession on being able to tell the difference between us and our cis sisters. Like um, sir? How you gonna know what a trans girl's pussy tastes like?

Brr. These cis men and their hangups.
Exactly like wtf is that nonsense about beet juice. Dave must be projecting hard.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad seeing Dave turn into the type of dude he used to shit on in his younger days. It even seems like he realizes it at times but his pride just sinks any attempt at realization.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might the special tonight and see what he has to say on everything. Not shocked he's taken this stance but yeah it will definitely upset/annoy/disappoint a lot of people.

What's there to be confused about? If gender is a social construct, rather than a genetic one, then we identify with the social markers that differentiate us between male and female.

In much the same way you don't need bottom surgery to be considered a trans woman, because they use female social markers in how they present themselves, to be neither, or non-binary to use the correct term, is to not feel comfortable sitting within either box. Ergo we don't fit in with the binary, and that's why we go by non-binary.
Personally I just don't get how anyone can identify as neither man or woman (even with social markers, etc.) but that's on me. Not trying to derail anything so I'll leave it as that and will try to read up on matter when I get a chance.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Very disappointing from Chappelle. Not surprising given his previous shows but I was hoping he'd reflect and learn instead of feeling agitated about people not enjoying his narrow-minded jokes.

It was a pretty bad show though and through; even the audience that presumably paid a buttload of money to see him live didn't really have his back.

Well that would depend on whether Evilore was in the front row again.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least he's upfront and honest about it but what a view. Hard disagree from me, if someone has gone through the sex change process, I mean yeah it might not be the same but that shouldn't mean they can't be recognised as the opposite gender. I personally only get confused when people claim they are neither male or female, which is a whole different thing entriely. Like, how can you claim to not be either?

Does he actually mention mention DaBaby when talking about punching down on his people? That would be ultra-yikes, Kevin Hart I could sort of understand but there was no excusing DaBaby at all.
Putting this as simply as possible: gender isn't a binary, it's a spectrum.

I'm a guy, right, so I process Weiss The Person as a guy. I think of myself as a guy. My brain signals to me that I am a guy. There's never been a point in my life where I've been anything but a guy even if, sometimes, I get kind of momentarily curious like "I wonder what my life would have been if I was a girl." I'm a guy and I've never had cause to think otherwise.

A non-binary person doesn't think of themself along those wavelengths. They have considered gender as a concept beyond the limitations we ever had to, and found the answer appropriate to them. They wake up and think "I'm non-binary", and the NB identity also carries a lot of nuances within it.

And here's the thing: I don't fully understand either, but I don't have to. I don't understand physics but that shit's still real and so's the gender spectrum. Enby folks are smarter and more informed than me about their gender, ergo I can sit down and listen to them instead of trying to assert authority I absolutely do not have.

I hope I've been helpful, but for future reference please don't use threads like this as a way to go "well I don't get it how can this be." It's absolutely okay to not know because our society does absolutely no favours in teaching us and at worst actively trains us to be blinkered and mocking to lives outside a heteronormative status quo, but when dealing with my own circumstances (bisexuality in my case) it's been exhausting to have to explain it on the level of "yeah this exists." Please feel free to ask questions and seek out knowledge because that's the way you'll come to understand, but I think it's for the best for everyone that we approach that search for understanding with an open mind instead of needing to prove it exists.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, I'm good not seeing this special. Just unnecessary to double down publicly on that shit if you're gonna end the show on some note about being done with those jokes.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
With this being his last special with Netflix we can guess that his next special will be produced by The Daily Wire.

Fuck this boomer who has no problem punching down but will whine when people call him out. Fuck Dave Chappelle.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I agree with you. I am not shifting blame, just sayin they are using this faux contrarian stance as a excuse to bullshit us.

Okay, my bad if I read that wrong then.

Not sure why you're trying to start beef with that poster. It's completely obvious they're framing that in a negative way. Some people react terribly to criticism by doubling down rather than reflecting and improving. That's clearly what they're saying.

Not trying to 'start a beef' with anyone. It just read to me as of if it was saying those who told them were at fault as if it was their natural state since the post started by saying, 'Don't do this thing' as if it's instructions and someone shouldn't do criticize since that's going to be those two performers' natural state. It wasn't super clear to me, so that's why I asked. They answered, and it's fine, I can see how it was meant another way. Your response just seemed purely like it was trying to egg on something that wasn't there, though, tbh.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So many people kept giving him the benefit of the doubt as he kept digging in harder and harder and I don't understand why people had this problem calling him out on it.

May 14, 2021
It almost feels like he thinks there are no black LGBTQ people, so they are all white and thus punching down.
He stupidly tries to separate the black LGBTQ members from all the others by saying they'd never call the cops on him if he attempted to assault them in a club. Unlike the gay white woman "who looked like a man" did. I've liked portions of his previous shows, but this one is just so damn petty and stupid. Arguments he thinks are intelligent and insightful are just plain dumb. It's cool he has a problem with white people. They've given him and many other people reason to hate them, but why choose to fight back by attacking the most vulnerable amongst them? And in doing so align himself with one of the most hate-filled white women. In the past you could tell a lot of thought and planning went into the layout of his sets, but not this time. This time he made it clear from the start that it was all about settling grudges.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh well. I remember complaining about him some time ago on some thread, when I saw one of his previous specials. Everyone else was gushing about his incredible humor, though. It was some horrific, hateful shit. This isn't surprising at all. Fuck this guy.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Around Transphobia
I'll just say if you haven't watched the special, and you are commenting in this thread you are in way driving home one of his points. I don't agree with him, but like any piece of art. It isn't there to be neutral.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dave, you stupid fuck. The "stop punching down" line makes extra little sense when you consider the sheer amount of violence faced by black trans women on a daily basis.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He later tries to qualify this material by telling a story about Daphne Dorman, a white transgender woman who loved his trans jokes and whom Chappelle befriended before she took her own life in October 2019, shortly after he'd given her a shoutout in his Netflix special Sticks & Stones. Chappelle reveals that he's started a trust fund to pay for Daphne's daughter's college education, and that he won't be doing any more LGBTQ jokes "until we are both sure that we are laughing together. I'm telling you, it's done. I'm done talking about it. All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people."
What the FUCK
He causes the death of another human being and has the gall to say he's the fucking victim?

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Where is that Trans woman who thanked you so much for making her and other transfolk the butt of the joke, Dave? The woman you talked about in one of your other specials, I'm not sure if it was Equanimity or Sticks & Stones. Where is she? Please tell me because you seem to have forgotten about that woman.

Oh yeah, that's right, she's dead. Killed herself.

EDIT: Oh, I see, he actually talks about her

EDIT2: Of course he is the victim in all of this 🙄

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter what kind of point you are trying to make. This isn't cancel culture out of control.

If some comedian did a long stretch where he questioned the merit of a particular race, we don't (or shouldn't) stand for it. This is the same case here.

Concluding something with a thoughtful remark doesn't dismiss the content that precedes it.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
No need to publicly shame other users like this.

Better to raise awareness and spread the word rather than shame people.
Look, I'm not naming any specific user in my post, but if someone takes a look at that thread and sees themselves talking about how they look forward to the comedy special of a bigot who has already TRIPLED-DOWN on his shitty takes about trans people, maybe it's fine if they feel just a tiny bit ashamed of themselves.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I won't hate on trans people if they stop hating on black people?

that's his finisher?

This is not fair IN THE LEAST. A complete diversion trying to claim that his jokes are fair play and implying that specifically trans or gay people mock or humiliate black people for no reason.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
chapelle show is an all-time great, and i respected him talking about why he walked from it, went to africa etc

but he's been washed for years, and planting his flag on this is just dusty hate framed as being counter to performative white hollywood culture. dude used to make room for that nuance, but just like 90s/00s homophobia, we're still at a point where folks think there's "sides" to transphobia

imagine having such a large platform, talking about uplifting black folks (or rather, insulating fellow rich ones) and out of the side of your mouth spreading this hate...while so many black trans folks don't see old age.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
During that moment in the show no one in the audience was laughing either. So dumb that he had very recent events in his material but ignored knowledge of sex and gender being different things. Gotta be intentional

Edit: That threadmarked article is wrong. My people referred to comedians not Black people. And Daphne Gorman was not given just a shoutout she was his opening act in San Francisco when they filmed parts of the special according to Chappelle

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, boo hoo, poor fucking us, Chappelle won't make jokes about LGBTQ community, you hear it guys? :(

Fucker.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying Transphobia; Prior Severe Bans Involving Prejudice and Dismissive Behavior
I mean, if you ignore all of those who "can't wait" and are ready to laugh, then sure?
I'm one of the people in that thread that can't wait. I can still enjoy the rest of the show and find this one segment of it highly disrespectful and shake my head at it like "wtf are you doing?" He does self inflicted wounds but at the same time I'm not sure if he just doesn't give a fuck or just doesn't know what he is saying.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I think he has the same problem a lot of people have and he said it pretty explicitly in the special. He conflated gender identity with biology when he said gender is a fact and that everybody passes through the legs of a woman when they're born. I think part of the problem is that most people don't actually think about their gender identity because their biological sex and gender identity match. That consistency is taken for granted and I think it's very hard to imagine what it might feel like if those two things disagreed. So they default back to what's familiar or obvious to them which is biological sex. I also think this subject hints at some very uncomfortable underlying ideas that revolve around the fact that your mind and your body can be disconnected from each other, and that at a very deep level we really have no control over both.
This is such a great post and I hope more people see it. This is a fundamental issue when talking about gender identity that a lot of people miss. I even did back in the day because my mind and my body don't have that disconnection.

Very, very well put. Thank you for posting this.