• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I can't remember the last time if ever being fed the truth so straight has made my eyes water up. I did not expect this. Amazing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, if you do the math, you'll see there are probably STILL some direct sons and daughters of slaves alive.

lets say a 15 year old slave in 1865 has a child later in life at 70 years old, it's already 1920... and there are 100 year old and older African-Americans around today. so its entirely possible.

i distinctly remember the oldest person in the world back in 2006 being the daughter of slaves (googled and it was Elizabeth Bolden). it really made me think.. spent all night educating myself then lol.
My grandfather, as a boy, knew old men who'd been born slaves. It really isn't that far away. That's one degree of separation from me.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. And it's his neighborhood isn't it? To me that shit is personalized way more. It feels like a neighborhood bonfire where Dave happens to be there and just goes off. It humanized it a lot for me.

I think so, yeah. He talks about Beavercreek, which is a suburb of Dayton not too far from where he lives in Yellow Springs.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God damn was this powerful. Teared up multiple times watching this.

I know he said we don't need him to say anything, but god damn did I need this.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
She's a grifting piece of garbage that doesn't actually care about metoo movement or the issues trans people are facing around the world.

Dave has blindspots and is not right for anything of that stuff, but he's right here.

Oh, absolutely. She ran a liberal website back in 2015 where she referred to Republicans as "batshit crazy". It didn't do well and eventually went away. Then she came back as a conservative that's willing to tell Republicans that they aren't racist and just straight denies reality (she denies that the Southern Strategy is real). She's really the best example of what a grifter is.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it last night and was glad to see people already posting it on my feeds this morning. Posted it again for good measure

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
It's pretty telling that generations of black comedians and entertainers have been sharing the same sad social commentary about policing. It feels like we will be back in the same place 20 years from now.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Dave isn't as good as he once was, but he's as good once as he ever was. This is refreshing to see, especially raw like this, after how fucking awful his new specials have been. I was afraid he'd just joined the crew of old timer comedians bitching about how sensitive young folks are.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
"We saw ourselves, as you see yourself"

Powerful statement, fucking brilliant. Thank you for posting this, very painful to watch, Dave knocked it out of the park. Much love.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
After him tripling down on transphobia, it is hard for me to ever consider watching anything by him again. His views on us are repugnant and he shouldn't have a platform. Honestly the praise he is getting is really upsetting, like none of that shit ever happened.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, that coincidence about his birth time

The police is a statist militia

Last edited:

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
As somebody mentioned in the YouTube comments, Dave is hitting a point where his comedy is evolving much like George Carlin's did. He's becoming more and more articulate and passionate with each special, and I can't thank him enough for existing and speaking his mind to all of us with such ferocity and conviction.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Need a longer one. He's very shrewd when it comes to black issues in america. One of the few celebrities that I want to hear from.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
After him tripling down on transphobia, it is hard for me to ever consider watching anything by him again. His views on us are repugnant and he shouldn't have a platform. Honestly the praise he is getting is really upsetting, like none of that shit ever happened.
So...yeah. I'm very with you here and I'm wondering why, even if what he's saying here is on point, his transphobic bullshit isn't brought up.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this is an odd post coming from someone with a persona 5 avatar considering p studios history with lgbt people in there games.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
this is an odd post coming from someone with a persona 5 avatar considering p studios history with lgbt people in there games.

I didn't like that stuff, I even made a youtube video, now deleted, calling out the worst stuff from P5. I found other things about the story resonant even if the series has had a few turds and missed opportunities like with the gay couple that hits on Ryuji or how Naoto's story resolved with them detransitioning. But we're talking about Dave Chappelle here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Damn, leveraging the Ja Rule bit for why we shouldn't care what celebrities think was great.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so angry that I'm literally just learning the actual reason for the Chris Dorner killings. Until this day, I only knew he was a "disgruntled former officer."

I had no idea his manifesto clearly pointed out that his actions were retaliation for the LAPD's failings to uphold justice. Wow.

I guess it didn't play well into the media narrative at the time.

So...yeah. I'm very with you here and I'm wondering why, even if what he's saying here is on point, his transphobic bullshit isn't brought up.
We've had multiple threads blasting Chappelle for his comments in his specials. It certainly isn't not "brought up".

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like that stuff, I even made a youtube video, now deleted, calling out the worst stuff from P5. I found other things about the story resonant even if the series has had a few turds and missed opportunities like with the gay couple that hits on Ryuji or how Naoto's story resolved with them detransitioning. But we're talking about Dave Chappelle here.
your post says that dave chapelle should not have a platform. why should chapelle specifically not have a platform when both chapelle and p studio have shitty views on similar topics? i just find the lack of consistency coming from you odd

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To that end, wouldn't this special and what it's addressing resonate? Or does it not for you? I'm not trying to make an accusation or diminish your feelings. I just want to understand better.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
your post says that dave chapelle should not have a platform. why should chapelle specifically not have a platform when both chapelle and p studio have shitty views on similar topics? i just find the lack of consistency coming from you odd
You don't know me.

Persona 4 helped teach me how to cope with depression, self-hatred, and also how to come out the closet

it was flawed on LGBT issues but it is what I needed at the time.

Dave Chappelle on the other hand, spent almost a third of two of his specials bashing us. It was also pretty recent too. I feel like you are being dismissive of my concerns and I bringing up the irrelevant detail of my avatar.

Oct 27, 2017
Before this spirals out of control. Terra, I don't think nsilvias is trying to imply anything about your character. Simply put, you made an exception for P5, because it's something you like. You should be able to understand why people make exception to not want to de-platform Chappelle, because his material is something others like, and find resonant.

Edit: And Chappelle has opened a dialogue for many black children to understand the horrors around them through comedy. So by the same merit, he is flawed, but his commentary back then, like it is now, is deemed necessary.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Before this spirals out of control. Terra, I don't think nsilvias is trying to imply anything about your character. Simply put, you made an exception for P5, because it's something you like. You should be able to understand why people make exception to not want to de-platform Chappelle, because his material is something others like, and find resonant.

Edit: And Chappelle has opened a dialogue for many black children to understand the horrors around them through comedy. So by the same merit, he is flawed, but his commentary back then, like it is now, is deemed necessary.

I was going to say the same. Just echoing this.

It can't be an all or nothing for Chappelle but not for Persona. Atlus hasn't shown a willingness to change either. You can accept that if you want, Terra but I don't think it's fair to make exceptions for them and not Dave. Chappelle helped a lot of minorities, like myself, understand such things without realizing it through comedy. Persona help you. Chappelle helped me.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017

this is basically what i was going to reply with but you said it better than i would.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Great special. Reminds me of this story that was making the rounds on Twitter last week. It sounds like a lot of this stuff has been on his mind for years.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I selfishly want this to be longer, because I could listen to Dave all day. Great message and reminder of whats at stake.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Great special. Reminds me of this story that was making the rounds on Twitter last week. It sounds like a lot of this stuff has been on his mind for years.

This was a fantastic read, especially this bit when he had to educate a heckler during his bit and she came back stage apologizing:

Chappelle responds "you're ok. That's all we can ask. Know better, do better. I want to thank YOU for hearing me and listening. That's your role. And now you know. Now you're part of that critical mass we talked about and next time you hear a friend say some ignorant shit like you said, it's your job to correct them and share with them what you learned tonight. THEN, you're no longer part of the problem, you're part of the solution."