• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Pretty sure this ones a joke...

Yeah this. But I honestly think that Chapelle thinks he's punching up when he goes in on trans folks. I think to him he thinks that like ... Hes fighting the powerful with this, like for him the real power rests in people who criticize his comedy. A lot of comedians suffer from this too.

I say this as someone who has liked most of Chappelles comedy, even his new comedy. But I think he sees himself as a victim
Yeah I think comedians in general have been in their minds fighting against censorship for a while now and Chapelle sees the trans jokes as his right as a comedian to make jokes about whatever he wants to.

Having said that, the trans jokes are awful and really bring down what would otherwise be decent comedy specials. It's bigoted and the trans community shouldn't be used as fodder for him to take his stance against censorship in comedy.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like most of the world - and especially America, where most of Dave's fanbase resides - is still super bigoted against LGBTQ+ people and doesn't give a shit about victims of sexual abuse. Or something. And yet people that call out Dave for his persistent bigotry are apparently in the wrong, because NOT being shitty is the norm. Okay, got it.

Also, for the record: Resetera isn't actually as fringe as some of you think. Or did you not notice that most of the trans and/or nonbinary members have left, because they were tired of not being taken seriously by a massive chunk of the site's userbase? Only reason I'm still here is cause I haven't gotten burnt out yet (not even been a member a full year, and came out of the closet not long after I joined)... but give it time. And people like you sure as hell aren't helping.

I'd like to ask what you think I was saying, since you're criticizing me in particular.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and he's bitter from the video I just saw.

I feel most comedians get that way. I think there's definitely a balance to strike - I get wanting to experiment. And if you're going for dark humor, there's an inherent risk in pissing people off.

Personally though, I found his jokes just... like, bottom of the barrel in those specials. But comedians hate the idea that they have to censor themselves in any capacity. They want, of anyone, permission to be on the edge.

I dunno. The user score comments generally seem pretty suspect, page after page. Many went on and recorded a user score specifically because of the controversy and the reception from critics, eager to make a point about PC/"cancel" culture

Not saying it wasn't still well received in general, but pointing to the user score as being meaningful...I dunno.

Ooh, don't get me wrong. TONS of people against cancel culture were in there in an instant. I guess I wouldn't necessarily point to the user score, but kind of everything else outside of Era, some spots on Twitter, and like... critics. Which isn't even a fraction of the country. Like, if we're talking politics, Trump winning or losing has nothing to do with whether people want to be progressive or not. For the most part, they have their own interests and concerns.

That excludes the feelings of... oh, tons of people in the country. I'd imagine most people hate PC culture. Maybe.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I remember a time when Chappelle wouldn't have considered an Emmy of all things to be a vindication of his creative instincts. But we all get old.

Yeah, seriously. There's a weird over-eagerness from him here to treat the award as nullifying any and all counter-arguments. It's kind of sad.

As far as the special itself, I thought half of it was good (especially his take on the opioid crisis) and half of it was stale, reactionary bullshit. The irony of a comedian lamenting cancel culture in the same special that ends up netting him an Emmy, fame, and success is... well, something.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I'd like to ask what you think I was saying, since you're criticizing me in particular.

Consult my previous posts in this thread for the answer. But just so we're crystal clear: both you and the first person I quoted assumed that I was explicitly calling anyone who liked the special alt-right. I was not. I was merely pointing out why the user score on RT is meaningless due to coordinated manipulation from folks with regressive, transphobic beliefs, and thus is not a valid argument that the Emmy award voters AREN'T out of touch.

And additionally, as I previously explained: if resetera was as fringe as you claim it is, then the concerns of transgender and/or non-binary folks would not be so routinely dismissed by a lot of the userbase, regardless of the topic at hand. Cause this thread is just the latest of countless examples of the same shit happening on these boards, and this persistent pattern of behavior has played a massive role in the exodus of most of resetera's trans and/or enby members.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Also, for the record: Resetera isn't actually as fringe as some of you think. Or did you not notice that most of the trans and/or nonbinary members have left, because they were tired of not being taken seriously by a massive chunk of the site's userbase? Only reason I'm still here is cause I haven't gotten burnt out yet (not even been a member a full year, and came out of the closet not long after I joined)... but give it time. And people like you sure as hell aren't helping.
Where's the better forum? Hogwarts Legacy is really making them crawl out of the woodwork

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consult my previous posts in this thread for the answer. But just so we're crystal clear: both you and the first person I quoted assumed that I was explicitly calling anyone who liked the special alt-right. I was not. I was merely pointing out why the user score on RT is meaningless due to coordinated manipulation from folks with regressive, transphobic beliefs, and thus is not a valid argument that the Emmy award voters AREN'T out of touch.

And additionally, as I previously explained: if resetera was as fringe as you claim it is, then the concerns of transgender and/or non-binary folks would not be so routinely dismissed by a lot of the userbase, regardless of the topic at hand. Cause this thread is just the latest of countless examples of the same shit happening on these boards, and this persistent pattern of behavior has played a massive role in the exodus of most of resetera's trans and/or enby members.

Well, so we're also clear, all I was saying is in my post.

I've seen a trend where certain views are immediately attributed to the alt-right, when tons (most?) of the population hold the same views, and Era is the one out of the loop.

I apologize if I misunderstood your original post; I thought you were one of the people I described above.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones/reviews?type=user

Rvx27v4.png

(In case you were wondering: No, Rotten Tomatoes hasn't actually done jack shit to stop the far-right from manipulating user scores.)

If these losers thinks Dave is on their side than they're dumb af. He'll roast anyone and everything.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Why did the mods wait until after all the LGBTQ ditched this place before banning people? lol

Anyway, mixed feelings on this. Chapelle is a S+ comedian but transphobic jokes are still transphobic.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
thing is you KNOW chappelle feels like people should stop complaining about comedians and get thicker skin.

yet here he is being a fucking titty baby.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the surgeon got to go on stage and say that the people who sued him for malpractice can suck it because lots of other people didn't.

Imagine if the chef got to go on stage and say that the people who got food poisoning can suck it because lots of other people didn't.

Imagine if the person who is paid to make people laugh got to go on stage and say that the people who didn't laugh can suck it because lots of other people did.

You have every right to be mad but takes like this are what's wrong with the current social atmosphere. You've lumped every single person into one category.

How are you comparing a surgeon to a comedian and expect them to except the same level of wrong.

Be subjective, just because you don't agree with one thing doesn't mean everyone has done wrong falls into the same category.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You have ever right to be mad but takes like this are what's wrong with the current social atmosphere. You've lumped every single person into one category.

How are you comparing a surgeon to a comedian and expect them to except the same level of wrong.

Be subjective, just because you don't agree with one thing doesn't mean everyone has done wrong falls into the same category.
I'm not saying that they're the same level of wrong. Read that again without the victim complex.

What I'm saying is that every one of those roles are judged as being successes or failures on some kind of metric. A doctor trying to diminish those that harm them for malpractice would be trashed because the entire point of the doctor is to make people well; if they harm people as a result of their incompetence, we judge them poorly as a doctor.

Dave Chappelle's role as a comedian is to affect his audience. It's to make them laugh, or to make them think. The supposed reason why we celebrate edgy comics is because they understand the topics that they're touching and are elegant enough in addressing it that they can navigate around the concerns that people have about joking about the issue.

When Dave Chappelle approaches edgy topics with so little understanding or elegance that he tries to get applauded the same way he was before and instead is criticized as a bigot, it speaks poorly of him as a comedian. He could have created different material, or handled this a different way, or so on, in order to get a more favourable reaction.

What Dave Chappelle is doing here is throwing the onus on the reception of his material not on himself as the creator of the material, the person whose success is entirely based on being able to get a chosen reaction from his audience and his ability to handle the topic, but on the audience. Because he's big enough to throw his weight around, he's trying to leverage that authority so that he can't be judged regardless of whether another comic would be viewed as a failure for the same thing.

The severity has nothing to do with it. When popular comedians pull this sort of act, it's because they want to get all of the rewards for being skilled comedians who can navigate risky territory, without having to deal with the risk or showcase the skills that they managed in order to get the rewards in the first place. If Dave Chappelle doesn't like the criticism that he gets, he's perfectly capable of the same way that he's handle a joke that doesn't get more laughs: rethink his material.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we supposed to respect Emmy's or think they have any value? Because I don't.
He needs the accept that when he punches down and acts like a dickhead, he will justifiably get criticised by reasonable people. A shitty emmy has no bearing on that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think I switched off halfway through because I was getting serious boomer vibes. But I didn't watch Chapelle at his zenith so perhaps that's the problem.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I ain´t a critic and am a fan so I will say this. Sticks & Stones is a fucking mess. The critics got it right. There is some good stuff in the special but my 5/10 on IMDB feels a bit high. Who votes and the Emmies and how in case you got curious who decided to uplift him:
entertainment.howstuffworks.com

How the Emmy Awards Work

The Emmys -- from the glitz and glamour of red-carpet fashions to too-long award speeches, this award show is not to be missed. But what does it take to get the Emmys off the ground?

The following mini special 8:46, done for Youtube, was about BLM so it wasn´t a stage to address anything else but he will clearly do a bit about this in the future and I wonder if it can be good and how critics will bite back. Challe v Critics: Dawn of the Manbabies has a ring to it. A 47-year-old man said this...

Edit: He is helping to rehabilitate Louis C.K. as of the last month? Yikes, fam. 3 years, is that the comeback window now? Actually no. Dave was in his corner since 2018. So a year at most then.
www.vanityfair.com

Louis C.K. Makes Surprise Appearance at Dave Chappelle Live Shows

C.K. was one of several comedians at Chappelle’s most recent comedy show, which also included Sarah Silverman, Tiffany Haddish, and Common.

Last edited:

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle has never been progressive but simply self-serving. He championed Black issues because he himself is Black. In an alternate universe were Chappelle is a white Trans-man he would be getting heat for making a racist joke.

Also, imagine thinking an Emmy has any value at all in the year 2020 lmao. Big boomer vibes from him.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The more worrying thing is the clip itself. Likely one of his "socially-distanced" standup shows from the looks of it. Total randos standing next to each other in a closed room. No masks or masks randomly pulled down to smoke. Smoke! Good to know that America and Dave keep taking COVID19 very seriously.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm confused, how do the Emmys work? These same people who criticized his special aren't the ones voting for Emmys? Is it like the Academy Awards which is a bunch of old white people?

Dave's special wasn't even better than Bill Burr's last year.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Saw the "Emmy's are live" thread before hitting the hay last night and knew it was a countdown until some bullshit happened lol. Dave gonna be Dave, these comedians can all choke on their own hateful jokes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, how do the Emmys work? These same people who criticized his special aren't the ones voting for Emmys? Is it like the Academy Awards which is a bunch of old white people?

Dave's special wasn't even better than Bill Burr's last year.

Emmy voters are peers of the nominees

Golden Globes is the journalist voted awards

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While we're here, remember when Dave had to walk back his "give Donald Trump a chance" comment? It wasn't part of a bad set at all, and the comment was probably just extremely naive, but he's had quite a number of perceived missteps since coming back.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Has he ever commented on the fact that the token Trans person he included in his special to absolve himself of all his sins committed suicide not long after it came out?

Ok, fuck it, I'm including this. I guess, in the end, words did actually hurt her...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to see someone so commercially and critically successful so fixated on eradicating any and all criticism of his works.
Like, I'd expect someone like Chapelle, who isn't exactly new to this business, to have some self-awareness and maturity that his work is, at the very least, a little bit controversial, and not everyone in the wide world will like it, and quite a few even hate it (quite justifiably in the case of his transphobia).

When you have to say "shut the fuck up. forever" in your acceptance speech, it makes you look like a petulant child.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I don't support Dave, but what is this article? "Official critical consensus"? "Tone-death"?

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never comfortable with any comedy made at the expense of someone else. I won't deny it can sometimes be funny, especially if they're "punshing up". It's weird that it makes up a big percent of comedy. Psychologicaly, why does making fun of someone else make us feel good?

While Chapelle has long been known to push the envelope, the consensus among many critics was that the material featured in Sticks & Stoneswas stale and tone-death.

Wait, is it tone-death? I've been saying tone deaf all this time. 😓

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle has never been progressive but simply self-serving. He championed Black issues because he himself is Black. In an alternate universe were Chappelle is a white Trans-man he would be getting heat for making a racist joke.

Also, imagine thinking an Emmy has any value at all in the year 2020 lmao. Big boomer vibes from him.

He rarely even generally champions black people issues, it's usually through the lens of being a black man. His stuff is as gleefully misogynistic as ever.

Beyond being offensive and hurtful, the trans and gay material in his latest specials was just piss weak too. Alphabet people? Hahahaha good one! Fucking lame and cringeworthy.

I'm a big fan of Dave and his earlier work, but he's always been funniest and the realest when talking about things he knows, like the experience of being a black man in racist America and the vacuousness of celebrity culture. Whenever he starts waxing lyrical about women's issues, gay people and trans people, I preemptively cringe because I know he's probably about to say some ignorant shit.