• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Thank you.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
We judge a comedian on their ability to control the reactions that they get out of their audience. When a comedian becomes successful, they get the sense of infallibility, and being able to bully their way out of that metric - where they're no longer responsible for their negative responsible while still gaining praise for their positive ones - becomes more attractive as it's the only thing they're still beholden to.

It's like being told that you shouldn't abuse others when you have the power to do everything else.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the most loved comedians of the last 40 years and it was his first set of recorded performances in a decade. He has a huge fan base and his specials were going to be received well by the general public regardless of the alt-right.
This. Many people here keep blaming every reaction they don't like on the alt-right.

Even as someone who thought most of the jokes in Dave's recent specials were straight up not funny (and I don't mind offensive jokes), y'all gotta recognize that Era is SUPER fringe.
I dunno. The user score comments generally seem pretty suspect, page after page. Many went on and recorded a user score specifically because of the controversy and the reception from critics, eager to make a point about PC/"cancel" culture

Not saying it wasn't still well received in general, but pointing to the user score as being meaningful...I dunno.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you see the clip? He's clearly rubbing it in, joking, shit talking.
I mean, rubbing it in/shit talking means it's not so much of a "joke" to him. I'm not sure if we're really in disagreement about it.

Sounds like he's in his feelings and instead of reflecting, decided to double down on being a huge asshole.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the controversy and not condoning the jokes but are the people who pick the Emmy winners out of touch when the special has a 99% user score on Rotten Tomatoes?

www.rottentomatoes.com

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

Dave Chappelle takes on gun culture, the opioid crisis and the tidal wave of celebrity scandals in a defiant stand-up special filmed in Atlanta.

wonder how many of those reviewers or emmy panelists are trans (imma bet 0)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, rubbing it in/shit talking means it's not so much of a "joke" to him. I'm not sure if we're really in disagreement about it.

Sounds like he's in his feelings and instead of reflecting, decided to double down on being a huge asshole.
I mean, there's context. He's bashing the actual critics--the ones that wrote reviews for major publication. The special themselves had an almost opposite reaction from non critic community. Are people thinking he's talking to forum posters?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's almost like most of the world - and especially America, where most of Dave's fanbase resides - is still super bigoted against LGBTQ+ people and doesn't give a shit about victims of sexual abuse. Or something. And yet people that call out Dave for his persistent bigotry are apparently in the wrong, because NOT being shitty is the norm. Okay, got it.

Also, for the record: Resetera isn't actually as fringe as some of you think. Or did you not notice that most of the trans and/or nonbinary members have left, because they were tired of not being taken seriously by a massive chunk of the site's userbase? Only reason I'm still here is cause I haven't gotten burnt out yet (not even been a member a full year, and came out of the closet not long after I joined)... but give it time. And people like you sure as hell aren't helping.

It's sad but not unexpected. Every time he comes up as being problematic you have people just driving by with "G.O.A.T. " or say he's just joking, people in this thread are doing the same thing already. And it's allowed

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fuck off and die or go away forever. There is doubling down, there is tripling down, and then there is this. He's never changing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the surgeon got to go on stage and say that the people who sued him for malpractice can suck it because lots of other people didn't.

Imagine if the chef got to go on stage and say that the people who got food poisoning can suck it because lots of other people didn't.

Imagine if the person who is paid to make people laugh got to go on stage and say that the people who didn't laugh can suck it because lots of other people did.

Nov 23, 2017
It's sad but not unexpected. Every time he comes up as being problematic you have people just driving by with "G.O.A.T. " or say he's just joking, people in this thread are doing the same thing already. And it's allowed
The mods are soft on this site on trans issues. Will that ever be truly addressed? I doubt it.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I must've been out of the loop more than I thought. Last time I checked, I thought people appreciated his comedy - what happened that people consider him an asshole?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's context. He's bashing the actual critics--the ones that wrote reviews for major publication. The special themselves had an almost opposite reaction from non critic community. Are people thinking he's talking to forum posters?
Does it really fucking matter who he's calling out if the reason people are criticizing him is because of his blatant bigotry?

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I must've been out of the loop more than I thought. Last time I checked, I thought people appreciated his comedy - what happened that people consider him an asshole?

He made transphobic jokes in one special, then addressed the backlash in a following special by doubling down and making even more transphobic jokes.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I hated the transphobic bits in Dave's first special back, but thought the rest of the special was funny. But comments like this make me fucking itch and wish I hadn't watched. "The left will not silence us"? Fuck off.

And yet people immediately wanted to accuse me of claiming that everyone who liked the special was alt-right... even though my only point was that the Rotten Tomatoes user score on Dave's special is being manipulated by the alt-right motherfuckers. Which it is. Unless you think it's completely normal for folks who merely just enjoyed the special to take the time to "review" it in the form of telling your political enemies to fuck off.

Last edited:

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the specials.

I didn't enjoy the trans jokes.

I don't like how comedians think they're immune to critique on what they do.

Dave is the greatest of all time.

I have a bunch of conflicting feelings regarding this, but I wish he would stop being a jerk about it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
…what? Critics need to stfu, but the Television Academy is somehow a voice of authority worth listening to?

Like, congratulations to Dave for winning an Emmy and everything, but I'm not seeing a teachable moment here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
…what? Critics need to stfu, but the Television Academy is somehow a voice of authority worth listening to?

Like, congratulations to Dave for winning an Emmy and everything, but I'm not seeing a teachable moment here.
It's not hard to understand. People who say things that Chapelle doesn't like have to shut up. People who say things that Chapelle likes should be listened to. It's a self-serving appeal to authority and little else.

Sep 10, 2020
I didn't really get a vibe from the clip that Chappelle is thin skinned or being vindictive. He's just making a joke. Like a comedian.

On the subject of the specials themselves, he really does lean into the trans material. Even if he feels like he's not expressing hateful views, he should really put more stock into the reactions he's getting.

The first rule of harrassment is that intent is irrelevant. It's how what you say is received, not how it's intended, that's important.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this ones a joke...

Edgy is fine. But punch up, not down. He should go back and watch some George Carlin.

Yeah this. But I honestly think that Chapelle thinks he's punching up when he goes in on trans folks. I think to him he thinks that like ... Hes fighting the powerful with this, like for him the real power rests in people who criticize his comedy. A lot of comedians suffer from this too.

I say this as someone who has liked most of Chappelles comedy, even his new comedy. But I think he sees himself as a victim

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I enjoyed the specials.

I have a bunch of conflicting feelings regarding this, but I wish he would stop being a jerk about it.

See this is a perfectly reasonable, adult way to approach the subject. I wish more people looked at it this way.

The mods are soft on this site on trans issues. Will that ever be truly addressed? I doubt it.

In fairness they have gotten a lot, a lot better dealing with bad faith posters and trolls. It's just really difficult sometimes because yeah people don't break the TOS with some of the types of posts that I'm talking about, even if those posts are pretty much of the " I don't really care that it affects you in a negative way sorry it's comedy" type

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ignoring the controversy and not condoning the jokes but are the people who pick the Emmy winners out of touch when the special has a 99% user score on Rotten Tomatoes?

www.rottentomatoes.com

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

Dave Chappelle takes on gun culture, the opioid crisis and the tidal wave of celebrity scandals in a defiant stand-up special filmed in Atlanta.

The userscore is because conservatives brigaded it, and then pointed at the disparity and went "look! The critics must be wrong because of the thing I literally just did!"

It's a pretty boring standup, to be honest. It's pure hack shit way beneath Dave. I feel the same way about Bill Burr's recent special, which was 80% recycled bits from talk shows and "get back in the kitchen" anti-feminism stuff.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's so gross too.
And I like Dave but whew, watching both specials, it was a real fucking drag to have him bring up these transphobic bullshit and then double down and do more in his second special. Completely fucking killed the mood. FuckIng transphobic asshole.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
My feeling on it is there's way too much shit to watch and do to watch material by comics making shitty jokes.

Also the irony of Dave touting the approval of mostly white men to deflect criticism of his shitty behavior.

Nov 23, 2017
See this is a perfectly reasonable, adult way to approach the subject. I wish more people looked at it this way.

In fairness they have gotten a lot, a lot better dealing with bad faith posters and trolls. It's just really difficult sometimes because yeah people don't break the TOS with some of the types of posts that I'm talking about, even if those posts are pretty much of the " I don't really care that it affects you in a negative way sorry it's comedy" type
There has been improvement but too many people get away with being excited about X thing while showing zero empathy for trans people.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): Dismissive drive-by post regarding a bigoted comedian, despite a prior ban for the same thing
Sticks & Stones was a great special. Look forward to more from Chapelle.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the specials.

This is exactly how I feel about this. Like for real just apologize and change it up. There's not a single strong joke among all the trans "commentary", you could've cut it and made the specials better.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
We got to look at this as the fact that Era and the critics for his latest special are not the majority and work towards making people more empathetic to the issues.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Dave a living legend but I wasn't a fan of the last special. All he did was shit talk cancel culture, it wasn't even funny. The set he did over the summer for George Floyd was amazing though.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
User Banned (Permanent): Repeatedly Trolling Threads About Problematic Comedians Despite Receiving Prior Long Bans For This
This is my favorite house to deliver milk to!

Dave Chapelle is a genius.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the specials.

This is my exact take on it. Chapelle is a giant of black comedy and he's probably the greatest of all time. But the disgusting punching down has no place today. Dude was irresponsible and doubling down on it is unacceptable IMO.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell at all the drive-by "i tHoUgHt hE wAs fUnNy wHy u sO mAd?" posts just on page 1.

Expected, but still infuriating.