• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
consequenceofsound.net

Dave Chappelle unloads on critics upon winning Emmy for Best Variety Special

Dave Chappelle’s Netflix special Sticks & Stones won Best Variety Special at the 2020 Emmy Awards. Watch his acceptance speech.

During the fourth and final night of the Creative Emmy Awards on Saturday, Dave Chappelle captured the prize for Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-Recorded). Despite being one of the most accomplished comedians of all time, Chappelle felt particularly vindicated by the award, as it came in honor of his divisive 2019 Netflix special Sticks & Stones.

Upon the special's release last summer, Chappelle was met with immense backlash over jokes he made about Michael Jackson and R Kelly's alleged sexual abuse victims and the LGBTQ+ community. While Chapelle has long been known to push the envelope, the consensus among many critics was that the material featured in Sticks & Stoneswas stale and tone-death. "Edgy, but empty, Sticks & Stones might not break any bones, but it won't elicit many laughs, either," read the official critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes.
So you can understand Chappelle's glee when Sticks & Stones captured the Emmy for Outstanding Variety Special. "Boy, this comes as a complete surprise," Chappelle said in a pre-recorded speech filmed in front of a live audience. "I mean, I read all the reviews and they said so many terrible things. They were embarrassed for me; I had lost my way, it wasn't even worth watching—I hope all you critics learn from this. This is a teachable moment. Shut the fuck up, forever."

"It's a special night because comedy gets to be itself," Chappelle added. "It's all we've ever wanted. I hope the war is over. We good? And as always, I would like to thank my wife, Elaine. Elaine has been with me for the last 25 years and has had to endure the pains of living with the greatest comedian ever."

Jun 5, 2020
Just means whoever picks the Emmy winners are out of touch too.
Ignoring the controversy and not condoning the jokes but are the people who pick the Emmy winners out of touch when the special has a 99% user score on Rotten Tomatoes?

www.rottentomatoes.com

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones

Dave Chappelle takes on gun culture, the opioid crisis and the tidal wave of celebrity scandals in a defiant stand-up special filmed in Atlanta.

Oct 27, 2017
I also wasn't really a fan of his newer specials, aside from the pimp story. Well at least there's always Killing Em Softly and For What It's Worth for good standup from him

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Ignoring the controversy, are the people who pick the Emmy winners out of touch when the special has a 99% user score on Rotten Tomatoes?

www.rottentomatoes.com

Dave Chappelle takes on gun culture, the opioid crisis and the tidal wave of celebrity scandals in a defiant stand-up special filmed in Atlanta.

I don't think the people are out of touch. I think Dave needs to get over himself and not take criticism of punching down so personally. Why is it okay for him to lean into transphobia but not okay for people to criticize him about it?

I get it, comedy is supposed to be edgy and sometimes people laugh because it challenges their perceptions. But parts of that special just seemed mean spirited and/or myopic.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why he was so surprised. The trio he did was highly reviewed for sure IIRC. People loved it a lot, especially the last part he did during the protests.

Oct 26, 2017
Comedians are the worst when it comes to taking criticism. Nothing is off limits and we all need to lighten up....according to their hilarious, dumbasses.

It sucks when people do or say terrible things and are rewarded for it.

Then it's a good thing it wasn't up for an award for humanitarian of the year. But for comedy.

GOAT
The trans community wasn't laughing.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Ignoring the controversy and not condoning the jokes but are the people who pick the Emmy winners out of touch when the special has a 99% user score on Rotten Tomatoes?

www.rottentomatoes.com

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones/reviews?type=user

Rvx27v4.png

(In case you were wondering: No, Rotten Tomatoes hasn't actually done jack shit to stop the far-right from manipulating user scores.)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a time when Chappelle wouldn't have considered an Emmy of all things to be a vindication of his creative instincts. But we all get old.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Younger Dave would've eviscerated his current self for becoming so out of touch he's using an emmy award as validation.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
What exactly happened to Dave Chapelle? I used to really look up to him.
Is it just an ego thing? he can't stand to be criticized?

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Dismissive drive-by post regarding bigotry. History of insensitive comments, prior severe ban for xenophobia
I thought it was a good acceptance speech and I suggest people watch it. Dave does not translate well into text on a page.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Gatekeeping bigotry
Lol. He's allowed.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
Trash. Congrats on the award? If he didn't win I'm sure he would have spun it into being yet another millionaire comedian being wronged by the nefarious Cancel Culture ™️

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones/reviews?type=user

Rvx27v4.png

(In case you were wondering: No, Rotten Tomatoes hasn't actually done jack shit to stop the far-right from manipulating user scores.)
He's one of the most loved comedians of the last 40 years and it was his first set of recorded performances in a decade. He has a huge fan base and his specials were going to be received well by the general public regardless of the alt-right.

Jan 18, 2018
I initially did not watch it because of the reception on era, I finally got around to it a few weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Then it's a good thing it wasn't up for an award for humanitarian of the year. But for comedy.

GOAT
Comedy isn't a magical shield that can be used to say whatever horrible thing you want about people and not get understandable push back or have it affect how people perceive you as a person.

Like a lot of people, he's unfortunately just becoming an old guy who refuses to change with the times. He's decided to stop learning and just stay stuck in his ways.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great special and its deserved but its surprising that he is so thin skinned

As someone else has previously said comedians have very thin skin. I know this from decades of Howard Stern interviewing tons of comedians. They all have a thin skin and are insanely jealous of others success. I don't mean to make generalizations but it almost always seems to be true and they freely will admit it.

They can have friends that they worked with in clubs, slumming it for years but the minute one of them gets a TV deal the animosity comes out.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the most loved comedians of the last 40 years and it was his first set of recorded performances in a decade. He has a huge fan base and his specials were going to be received well by the general public regardless of the alt-right.

This. Many people here keep blaming every reaction they don't like on the alt-right.

Even as someone who thought most of the jokes in Dave's recent specials were straight up not funny (and I don't mind offensive jokes), y'all gotta recognize that Era is SUPER fringe.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The cancel culture that in no way prevented him from making millions and winning an award is clearly out of control in its reach and influence, and all the change it isn't accomplishing is a sign to ease off on valid criticism before someone, somewhere, thinks twice before saying some hurtful shit. What does it say to our children if we stop punching down?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I swear, it seems like comedians have some of the thinnest skins in the world when it comes to their own work being criticized, but they don't think twice about turning their "oh so scathing" lens on other, less fortunate groups. I think Dave Chappelle is an insanely talented comedian, but I refused to give his latest specials the time of day, because I'm not in the market of supporting works that actively downplay, disrespect, and perpetuate the continued oppression of marginalized groups. Fuck that shit.

Comedy isn't above reproach. It doesn't get special concessions because "it's all jokes, man." As a black man in America, you'd think he'd have a lot more empathy for people who have, historically, been the butt of shitty jokes and poor representation for decades. Why punch down? That's such low hanging fruit, and disappointing, from a comedian who is not an idiot, and used to use his platform to cut deep at the bullshit of the world. But he's rich now, so I guess it doesn't matter to him anymore.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The world's biggest asshole is a billionaire and President of the United States.

Just because you have shiny stuff doesn't make you less of an asshole

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

This. Many people here keep blaming every reaction they don't like on the alt-right.

Even as someone who thought most of the jokes in Dave's recent specials were straight up not funny (and I don't mind offensive jokes), y'all gotta recognize that Era is SUPER fringe.

It's almost like most of the world - and especially America, where most of Dave's fanbase resides - is still super bigoted against LGBTQ+ people and doesn't give a shit about victims of sexual abuse. Or something. And yet people that call out Dave for his persistent bigotry are apparently in the wrong, because NOT being shitty is the norm. Okay, got it.

Also, for the record: Resetera isn't actually as fringe as some of you think. Or did you not notice that most of the trans and/or nonbinary members have left, because they were tired of not being taken seriously by a massive chunk of the site's userbase? Only reason I'm still here is cause I haven't gotten burnt out yet (not even been a member a full year, and came out of the closet not long after I joined)... but give it time. And people like you sure as hell aren't helping.

Last edited: