• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
dauntless_top-imageljjju.jpg

Free to play Monster Hunter-esque action RPG Dauntless attracted its fair bit of skepticism when Phoenix Labs announced it would be shifting to the Epic Games Store on PC. While speaking to GameSpot at PAX East 2019, studio co-founder and VP Robin Mayne explained the reason behind the move. Allowing players across numerous platforms, including the upcoming Xbox One and PS4 versions, to play together was apparently the main focus.

"One of the things that we're passionate about at Phoenix Labs – and was a part of our vision even before we had chosen to build Dauntless – was finding a way to allow players to play together," said Mayne. "And so a part of our strategy for Dauntless has been worldwide servers so you can play with anyone wherever they are."

That vision for "one Dauntless" lined up pretty well with Epic Games, whose engine the game runs on. "And then as we thought about our platform expansion, it was really important for us to fulfill our vision of one Dauntless, which is the ability to play with your friends no matter what platform they are on and no matter where they are.

"So working with Epic on the Unreal Engine and getting to chat with them about their vision for players as well, we realized it was a really big alignment with our vision for one Dauntless and being able to have people play together, and the ability to come to the Epic Games Store, plus Xbox and PlayStation, and be able to do cross-play so that everyone can play together."

Phoenix Labs is looking to fully support cross-play and cross-progression for players right from the console versions' launch. This means that PC players can immediately hop in with their friends on Xbox One and PS4 and starting playing. "So you have your account that you play on, and you can play with anyone regardless of what platforms they are on. The launch this summer focuses on Epic Games Store, Xbox, and PlayStation. We have Switch in the works as well, and plans for mobile along the way."

Source

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The second they moved to EGS I knew this was why

If this thing lands well enough on anything (from what I played of the alpha, it has serious potential), it's gonna be massive

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
How do they get sony's approval?

By getting epic for help?

Because so far, only fortnite is able to do it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be surprised at how Epic and Epic alone is able to get Sony to budge on this shit.

We're getting crossplay for a Monster Hunter inspired game, but not for the actual Monster Hunter.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
really happy this is happening, dauntless has gotten a lot better over time and happy that the company is moving to consoles and getting full on crossplay support. Really loved my time with the game ill probably check it out again when it drops on consoles

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Great news! Glad to hear Sony is finally opening up crossplay and cross progression for newer games.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Thats really cool. I played awhile back when it had its own launcher and it was a fun appetizer for Monster Hunter but once that hit this fell by the wayside for me. May check it out on console someday if its free

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dauntless switched completely over to Epic launcher. They are even making your Epic account the account system replacing their own. I believe they are using the toolset used in fortnite for this crossplay.

Rocket League did their own thing and pushed for it for years.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that MK11 looks like it will not have any type of cross-play.
Not really strange. It's not a priority for NRS or most fighting game developers, for whatever reason. There's only SFV, Killer Instinct, and Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid that have any crossplay in terms of traditional fighting games.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. Being able to play on X1X with friends on PS4 and then one day maybe play on Switch too when I want will be awesome.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be surprised at how Epic and Epic alone is able to get Sony to budge on this shit.

We're getting crossplay for a Monster Hunter inspired game, but not for the actual Monster Hunter.
The relationship between Sony and Epic is definitely intriguing. Epic probably using that Fortnite pull. Heck you are seeing some quantrum dream games going to the epic games store too, which I'm guessing needed Sony approval.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The relationship between Sony and Epic is definitely intriguing. Epic probably using that Fortnite pull. Heck you are seeing some quantrum dream games going to the epic games store too, which I'm guessing needed Sony approval.

Quantic Dream games on PC had nothing to do with Epic. Quantic Dream is publishing those and they negotiated with Sony. That was confirmed buy one of the guys behind Epic Store.

Oct 25, 2017
The Unreal Engine cross-play support does not need you to use an Epic account. Rocket League is Unreal engine too and does cross-play with Steam accounts.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A bit misleading, I think. I doesn't say that it is happening, just that their vision is for it to happen and that they are "looking to fully support" it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to get back to this. Played when the founders beta came out and thought it had great potential but dropped it quickly due to some annoying bugs.