• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hello Resetera Community!

Many of us at Phoenix Labs are members and/or lurkers on this fine forum.

We wanted to give back and get your opinion.

In the spirit of the holiday, we're giving out 750 Closed Beta codes. They can be redeemed at http://playdauntless.com/accounts

We're putting our faith in the wonderful nature of this community to be (super) cool with these codes and not hoard or broadcast them. We really do want these to be for you guys!

Grab your code in the following sheet, mark it used, and let us know what you think!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Thanks for the code Crash. Good seeing you around too :)

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France

In the spirit of the holiday, we're giving out 750 Closed Beta codes. They can be redeemed at http://playdauntless.com/accounts

We're putting our faith in the wonderful nature of this community to be (super) cool with these codes and not hoard or broadcast them. We really do want these to be for you guys!

Grab your code in the following sheet, mark it used, and let us know what you think!

Hidden content
Thank you ! I only did the tech alpha, I'm eager to see the improvements.

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017

Hidden content

Thanks! Took a few tries with some codes that didn't have their "used" columns so I changed some of them

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, booted the game up and now it won't read my controller? It was working just fine earlier.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Its 50/50 on when the controller will read inputs in menu. Sometimes it will read on one menu and then suddenly stop when you go back to the same menu again. Ehhh...closed beta.

It doesn't even read the inputs for actual gameplay, and I know the controller is connected and working because I opened up ACO and it read my inputs immediately. It was working just fine all day, but I took a break and yeah.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

Wanted to try this (as I heard there was controller support), but impossible to receive the confirmation mail despite changing my spam / whatever filter, authorizing domain name, even trying the "reset passcode" trick. Oh well.

I sent a ticket on the site and I received a mail confirming my ticket, so the problem is not on my end. How long does it take to receive the account confirmation mail ?

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
We get OTs for closed betas or is this coming out soon? I really wanna try it though I doubt it'll scratch my MonHun itch, it at least looks better and more unique than stuff like Hunter Blade since it has effort beyond copying.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Grabbed a code, thanks crash7800

I tried a couple that were already redeemed, so I marked them as well before finding one that worked. Mark codes you use, people!

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the code.
I gave the beta a very quick try and I have to say that my first impression isn't too positive.
It's a closed beta so I expect things being unfinished/bugs/etc but these things were rubbing me the wrong way:

After choosing two ancestors you have a hint message popping up which covers up a part of the ancestor list (making it not clickable) on the left and to make it disappear you gotta keep going through the char creator and then go back. The hint should just disappear after clicking on the screen/clicking on it.

The game desperately needs control options to rebind keys and tweak the camera control speed with the mouse. F to jump and space to roll aren't keys I feel comfortable with to be honest for those actions and the slow mouselook speed makes the experience feel a bit unwieldy.
Also ESC not working to go back/closing some menu?

Having to hold E down to pick items up is something I personally hate. I also found it annoying how my character would unsheathe again after completing the action if she had her sword out. I would have expected the character to stay sheathed but I understand that's more of a personal expectation based on past experiences in other games.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Hidden content
Oh man, thanks!!! I've been wanting a taste of this for a while. Didn't have a lot of time to tinker with it, but so far it's fairly solid, combatwise. Keep it up!!

crash7800

Oct 27, 2017
The Shattered Isles
Thanks for the code.
I gave the beta a very quick try and I have to say that my first impression isn't too positive.
It's a closed beta so I expect things being unfinished/bugs/etc but these things were rubbing me the wrong way:

After choosing two ancestors you have a hint message popping up which covers up a part of the ancestor list (making it not clickable) on the left and to make it disappear you gotta keep going through the char creator and then go back. The hint should just disappear after clicking on the screen/clicking on it.

The game desperately needs control options to rebind keys and tweak the camera control speed with the mouse. F to jump and space to roll aren't keys I feel comfortable with to be honest for those actions and the slow mouselook speed makes the experience feel a bit unwieldy.
Also ESC not working to go back/closing some menu?

Having to hold E down to pick items up is something I personally hate. I also found it annoying how my character would unsheathe again after completing the action if she had her sword out. I would have expected the character to stay sheathed but I understand that's more of a personal expectation based on past experiences in other games.

Appreciate the feedback! We definitely hear you and other players loud and clear that keybinds are something we need before we go into Open Beta. We're on it!

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Fun so far. Nice to have another monhun type around. Aside from generic 'tighten up the graphics on level 3' not much to say.

Maybe those balls that drop are hard to see sometimes. Maybe a dark outline to go along with the bright ball will help it be seen in more situations?

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017

Hidden content

Thanks for the code :D

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be another wipe? I enjoyed what I played of this, but the more recent wipe was another bummer.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the code! Wasn't prepared to buy a founders pack but with the recent delay of MH, I've considered this much more seriously.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is pretty good. Yeah people waiting for pc MH should check this out to tide them over for ten months or however long it takes for MH to come out

Halcy Caritas

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the codes! I was hoping that MHW would come out during March at the latest, but since it isn't, this looks like a pretty entertaining game!

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Thank you for the codes! I'm let a few other folks know about the thread/codes, so they'll hopefully all hop on tomorrow or once they're settled in. It seems pretty fun! The tutorial level was pretty alright, just bummed I couldn't change my weapon before fighting.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the codes! Been wanting to check this out for a while since I'm a massive MH fan. I will be playing this with my girlfriend and giving feedback as soon as possible. Thanks once again :D

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've sunk a couple of hours so far and it's not bad at all. edit - now with the controller, I'm really liking it. The monster encounters are starting to shine a bit more and its starting to get real fun.

General comments:

Gameplay -

Feels and plays like MH, but at the same time its clear they're not sticking to the formula %100, which is great in my book. The monster difficulty is low on Rogue, but things quickly sort themselves out once you break into the regular difficulty. Not a fan of the maps at all though - they look and play like randomly generated designs. There are no hostile mobs in the maps i've played so far - might be a plus for some.

Animation -

Edit: I've had a much better experience on the gamepad, i think the very nature of the keyboard makes some animation difficult to account for.

The game generally animates well but there are still some very awkward animations (you lurch around a bit like a zombie when running with the hammer), and a lot of animation transitions break completely when running on uneven terrain/objects.The monster flinches/stumbles when you land a critical hit feel great, as good as MonHun in that department. Midair attacks on a monster can animate awkwardly if you don't connect properly (i've been launched above the trees on a few occasions). The monsters themselves animate nicely and there's some nice personality coming out of those animations. They've done a great job with the projectile attacks that sound/look especially dangerous.

Weapons

Only five so far, but they've added some layer of complexity to all of the weapons. i was pleasantly surprised at how mobile and diverse the hammer is, with your ability to buff any strike at any time. One striking omission is you'll notice there is no blocking in this game. Gotta dodge roll your way around everything!

Graphics

The particle and lighting effects being its strongest area - I particularly love the use of flares in this game to signal to your distant teammates. There's some weird post processing smoothing filter that smudges the whole game, separate from whatever AA is being us. You can somewhat turn it off by setting post-processing to low, but there's still something really off with the IQ. Performance is so-so but thats expected.

Pacing

This part of the game feels the closest in terms of comparisons to Mon Hun. The weapon upgrades, monster grind and quest lengths mirror MH very closely. An easy fight could take under 5 minutes, while the more difficult ones will need 15-20mins.

Last edited:

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
Only five so far, but they've added some layer of complexity to all of the weapons. i was pleasantly surprised at how mobile and diverse the hammer is, with your ability to buff any strike at any time.

That's great to hear! We put a bunch of work into the hammer for the Sharpen Your Skills update. Between now and open beta, we'll be revisiting the other weapons and giving them similar treatments.

crash7800

Oct 27, 2017
The Shattered Isles
Hello ResetEra!

We're looking for your feedback and thoughts regarding the Closed Beta!

This time, we're looking for feedback on Ramsgate, your home on the frontier!

Specifically, we're looking to figure out how you feel about the layout and utility of its fine citizenry.

Here are a few examples of things we're looking to learn about:

1. What parts of the city do you spend most of your time in?

2. What parts of the city do you avoid or rarely visit (if at all)?

3. Without looking, see if you can guess — how many NPCs (which you can interact with) are there in Ramsgate?

4. Do any tasks in the city seem bothersome or that they take too long?

5. Who's your favorite NPC and why?

6. How do you feel about the amount of time it takes to traverse through the city?

7. General thoughts: Let us know what you think of the city and where you think there could be improvements.
OPTIONAL BONUS: Take one or a few screenshots from around the city that you think make it look the coolest – include them in your reply!

Thanks!

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really like the game so far. I've just got to tier 2 and crafted my first set of armor. It looks really great! I think my biggest gripe is that the War Pike doesn't have monster specific looks. I wonder if this will change, as it is apparently a new weapon? I've been having a load of fun learning to use it, though I need to try out some other weapons.

I also like that, so far, the grind to get a new set of gear is mostly gated by your ability to break parts of monsters. If you are good, you can get enough monster specific parts for your whole set the first time you encounter it, though you won't have enough Tier mats to make everything. Loads of fun and can't wait to see where this goes.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Hidden content

Thanks for the code!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Hidden content

thanks, just used one!

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
Hello ResetEra!

We're looking for your feedback and thoughts regarding the Closed Beta!

This time, we're looking for feedback on Ramsgate, your home on the frontier!

Specifically, we're looking to figure out how you feel about the layout and utility of its fine citizenry.

Here are a few examples of things we're looking to learn about:

OPTIONAL BONUS: Take one or a few screenshots from around the city that you think make it look the coolest – include them in your reply!

Thanks!

• What parts of the city do you spend most of your time in?
    I spent most of my time near the place that allows me to group up with other people. Besides that, I mostly ran around to talk with the NPC's to upgrade my gear.
  • What parts of the city do you avoid or rarely visit (if at all)?
    If a spot had nothing of value to me (Upgrading, turning in quests, etc...), I did not go to it.
  • Without looking, see if you can guess — how many NPCs (which you can interact with) are there in Ramsgate?
    Thirteen?
  • Do any tasks in the city seem bothersome or that they take too long?
    I did not know how to acquire new gear in the city so I ended upgrading my older ones. None of them felt too long to do.
  • Who's your favorite NPC and why?
    Blacksmith people. They upgrade my gear for me.
  • How do you feel about the amount of time it takes to traverse through the city?
    The area is not too bad. But I did not have a lot of incentive to explore it more. The Blacksmith hitting the hammer was a good indicator to figure out where I had to go.
  • General thoughts: Let us know what you think of the city and where you think there could be improvements.
I thought the city area was pretty cool. My first time there, I was not sure what to do. But looking around, I found the two NPC's with quest markers above their heads, and decided to go to them. That ended up leading me to explore the city a bit, and I think that was a good way to go about introducing it to the player. There were times when I was looking for the Blacksmith (He no longer had a quest marker), and I was unable to find the shop until running around for a minute or two. The sound of the Blacksmith's hammer hitting his bell helped locating. Besides that I thought it was fine.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
  1. What parts of the city do you spend most of your time in?
    I'm either at the bulletin board or in front of the blacksmith/armor
  2. What parts of the city do you avoid or rarely visit (if at all)?
    The rest of it.
  3. Without looking, see if you can guess — how many NPCs (which you can interact with) are there in Ramsgate?
    I have no clue, all I'm aware of is that the majority of them don't seem to serve any specific purpose outside of giving players some lore or information.
  4. Do any tasks in the city seem bothersome or that they take too long?
    I feel running between NPCs to activate dialog threads is not fun nor a good use of the players time.
  5. Who's your favorite NPC and why?
    Noone really - I don't feel strongly about any of the designs. I'd suggest focusing on creating more signature cues for us to relate the NPC to their supposed roles.
  6. How do you feel about the amount of time it takes to traverse through the city?
    It feels too large and redundant at the moment. I'd say make it more like a hub, less like a "city"
  7. General thoughts: Let us know what you think of the city and where you think there could be improvements.
Reduce the size, but at the same time strive for more signature spots in the city - the open tavern is a good example. It's just a missed opportunity that we're not allowed to walk in it or sit down.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot get the game to let me choose a resolution. I have tried various things people online suggested, no go. Resolution is just blacked out and everything is off. Too bad, I have been dying to try this.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines

Hidden content
thank you for this opportunity, gonna delve into and leave the Ramsgate feedback in a few days