• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can actually find other players in online matches and the UI is actually nice, so it has that over MH:W.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biggest annoyance right now is players who keep fighting in front of the riftstalkers orb launcher portals.

Oct 26, 2017
35 hours or so put in and the only advert is on Hunt Pass screen and logging in...
Adverts everywhere is laughable hyperbole. Come on.
What are you talking about? Ads everywhere? What? Please stop this.
There's literally one advert when you login for the battlepass.

Hunt Pass screen, Logging in, main menu has a giant Store button, NPC in the lobby, random stands throughout the lobby also directing you to the store. It was enough to be disruptive.

On its own it wouldn't be something I'd quit a game over, the other points on their own are enough to pass on the game. It's just bad.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and it will be a very welcome addition when it comes. There is a site where you can store your builds, here, and that helps. It's a bit cumbersome right now if you focus on more than one weapon and want to switch out cells and armor to better prepare for certain monsters.

I feel like I am in the minority here for liking Dauntless and MH (W and older) but I think both are excellent games. Dauntless is in its infancy, and they do a lot right. MonHun has long been a game and a series that Capcom sort of expected you to play with your friends. It's long been a series that, especially in Japan, 10 of your friends also played. So local co-op was always the norm. Ease of use matchmaking was an afterthough. Ad Hoc online was an afterthought. They are antiquated but they've made some big strides to modernize with World. The matchmaking was what it was, but Dauntless isn't 'light years' ahead. It's just much more geared towards jumping in with strangers.

I think World's success has hopefully opened Capcom's eyes to the fact that there are millions of players out there that DON'T play these games with friends, that DON'T have time to organize a party, and plan accordingly in the future.

Dauntless is by far the most fun I've had with a hunter game that isn't Monster Hunter. Tried every last other one and just fell out. Toukiden, God Eater, Freedom Wars (actually did quite enjoy this one), Soul Sacrifice. They all just lacked something. Dauntless has it for me. Hope the improvements and updates keep coming.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hunt Pass screen, Logging in, main menu has a giant Store button, NPC in the lobby, random stands throughout the lobby also directing you to the store. It was enough to be disruptive.

On its own it wouldn't be something I'd quit a game over, the other points on their own are enough to pass on the game. It's just bad.

lmao get real you spend most the time crafting, doing loadouts and actual hunts.

But you do you.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

I don't know, this still seems a bit hyperbole. The only in-your-face ones are the hunt pass screen and logging in. The lobby is massive so having an NPC on the side in its own area and a few stands (taking up about 2% of lobby space) is fine. The main menu store button isn't that big at all.

Keep in mind this is a free game. Of course they're going to make it easy to buy things. To say it's as intrusive as you're letting on seems pretty over-the-top.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind this is a free game. Of course they're going to make it easy to buy things. To say it's as intrusive as you're letting on seems pretty over-the-top.

This is how I feel about it pretty much. I even dropped 4.99 for the Timely Arrival Pack as soon as I started. It's a wonderful F2P game, with a lot of hard work put into it over the last year. I am all for them getting paid for that work and I feel like the shops/stalls and NPC are not remotely all up in my face compared to others.

Full disclosure, I took the platinum from the Timely Arrival Pack and dumped it right into the Premium Hunt Pass.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, this still seems a bit hyperbole. The only in-your-face ones are the hunt pass screen and logging in. The lobby is massive so having an NPC on the side in its own area and a few stands (taking up about 2% of lobby space) is fine. The main menu store button isn't that big at all.

It wasnt intended to be hyperbole, I played a few hours and posted my honest first impressions. Like I said, the f2p stuff is minor compared to the other things I disliked.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to add, for anyone interested, this is their roadmap.

Dauntless Roadmap

It's an interesting approach to a timeline of a roadmap, but I'll take it. Loadouts is there, along with a Mobile/Switch version. Anything covered in fog on the map is still a ways out, while the less cloudy islands are in progress or partially implemented.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard of this before today but checked it out for a few hunts. Runs like garbage in the hub on PS4 and plays like poor man's Monster Hunter stuffed with F2P monetization. Best thing I can say for it is that it's certainly easier to get right into the gameplay than with MH, but something tells me Capcom has little to fear.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is like if Monster Hunter would go way too far on the casual side. It feels way too oversimplified. The maps are uninspired and the art design is bland. Its not my thing at least.

The online system is way better than MonHun though. That works beautifully when i can log in to a server.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, that was a cool run, but the Scorchstone Hellion fight is unplayable on base PS4. Around 15 FPS and less, and I ain't kidding. I don't see myself farming / enduring this.

Until they fix the performance, bye bye ! A luck I didn't yet spend a cent on this.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh well, that was a cool run, but the Scorchstone Hellion fight is unplayable on base PS4. Around 15 FPS and less, and I ain't kidding. I don't see myself farming / enduring this.

Until they fix the performance, bye bye ! A luck I didn't yet spend a cent on this.

It's getting pretty frustrating.

Solo the FPS runs fine but with four people suddenly it TANKS.

I've played 35+ hours might take a break until patch and just do the weeklies.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
now that i've gotten far enough to actually fight ragetail gnasher...I probably should really learn how to play the game because apparently I wasn't before. Not like I have a choice, I've hit a wall and cant complete quests without fighting and slaying these dire behemoths.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like if Monster Hunter would go way too far on the casual side. It feels way too oversimplified. The maps are uninspired and the art design is bland. Its not my thing at least.

The online system is way better than MonHun though. That works beautifully when i can log in to a server.
The world is very simplified. I get the idea of the fragmented worlds and stuff, but it just looks and feels cheap, IMO. We might as well just be fighting in arenas. The environments are rarely, if ever, a part of the fight.

I'd say give it a chance, though. I think the combat is pretty great and feels different enough from Monster Hunter. However, without loadouts, the end game is really hampered.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The world is very simplified. I get the idea of the fragmented worlds and stuff, but it just looks and feels cheap, IMO. We might as well just be fighting in arenas. The environments are rarely, if ever, a part of the fight.

I'd say give it a chance, though. I think the combat is pretty great and feels different enough from Monster Hunter. However, without loadouts, the end game is really hampered.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the environments are meaningless outside of things like visibility. In MH, you have to think about burning up in the desert, freezing to death on a glacier, what in the biome you could take advantage of to aid you in the hunt, whether it be a healing plant, a poisonous frog, whether or not some bushes can break line of sight from the monster, what or another monster to draw its attention away from you, etc. There are just layers and layers of things not here in this game and i've barely played any MH and can tell you that.

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone else find the fights generally harder than Monster Hunter?

I suspect that since I've been playing MH since the first game, I intuitively 'get' the combat flow in ways I don't with Dauntless, but it's still embarrassing to go from just wrecking stuff like Tempered Teostra to struggling with early mid game monsters in Dauntless

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Has anyone on PlayStation found anything but PC in their crossplay lobby. Been playing for hours and I have yet to come across a PS4 On the Xbox. All PC players or Xbox. I'm just more or less curious what symbol they go with next to the player names.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone on PlayStation found anything but PC in their crossplay lobby. Been playing for hours and I have yet to come across a PS4 On the Xbox. All PC players or Xbox. I'm just more or less curious what symbol they go with next to the player names.
Not sure how accurate it is, but I saw someone mention that only PC players see both Xbox and PS icons. Console players apparently only see pc icons for someone on another console/pc.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to carry my beta progress in. That was refreshing! Now to buy the Battle Pass or not, ha.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was able to enter the game without any queue. What kind of sorcery was that?

Still, I seems to be unable to complete the quest to do 10k damage with the guns. I'd do like 3 hunts already, and it seems I still haven't done enough damage. The quest to do damage with the grenades was easier.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Anyone else find the fights generally harder than Monster Hunter?

I suspect that since I've been playing MH since the first game, I intuitively 'get' the combat flow in ways I don't with Dauntless, but it's still embarrassing to go from just wrecking stuff like Tempered Teostra to struggling with early mid game monsters in Dauntless
I've found that Dauntless is actually easier (though less fun) when doing solo play. Any behemoth I would struggle with in a group I would try solo and the fight seemed to end super fast. Their moves are more predictable solo since you're the only target and the hp scaling is generous

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a fun bug where everytime I threw my axe the game would not let me pick it up, and I'd have to wait for the game to eventually give me the axe back after like.. a full minute or some shit. Lasted the whole hunt.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just had a fun bug where everytime I threw my axe the game would not let me pick it up, and I'd have to wait for the game to eventually give me the axe back after like.. a full minute or some shit. Lasted the whole hunt.

Some of the bugs are really annoying because this game requires timing, precision, etc.

The vents not working, the herbs not being gathered, weapons not coming out or sheathing themselves, no weapon sounds , etc I can go on

It's buggy..

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing so good on Night Stalker solo and the game crashed. Well at least the rift room isn't so bad for me anymore, it's just lost time.