• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Finally got in and played a few hunts. Not gonna lie, pretty much everything about this game is rubbing me the wrong way.
I don't see any reason you'd play this over MHW, apart from the obvious price difference.
It's ugly, it performs poorly and controls badly (PS4 Pro, anyway) and there's so much F2P stuff all over it that it's just turning me off immediately.
I dunno, I'll stick with it for a few more hunts and see what happens. Not too impressed so far.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League?

It didn't have PS4 because of Sony, tbf.

Rocket League was out for years before it got cross-play across all platforms. And not having Sony is why going to the Epic launcher was a smart move, Epic already has Sony day one and this is the first game ever released to have that. It wouldn't be possible without Epic.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League was out for years before it got cross-play across all platforms. And not having Sony is why going to the Epic launcher was a smart move, Epic already has Sony day one and this is the first game ever released to have that. It wouldn't be possible without Epic.

I mean, they still made the game cross-play without Epic, which was kinda my point. Having the goal-posts set at "launched with it" muddies the conversation.

What about Wargroove? That was a day-one cross-play launch (Again, no PS4 because Sony said no).

It's disingenuous to say it's literally impossible to be cross-play without Epic.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, they still made the game cross-play without Epic, which was kinda my point. Having the goal-posts set at "launched with it" muddies the conversation.

What about Wargroove? That was a day-one cross-play launch (Again, no PS4 because Sony said no).

It's disingenuous to say it's literally impossible to be cross-play without Epic.

Here are the killers for cross-play everything

Sony (which was always the big no-no)
Mobile

And stop using disingenuous that word is stupid and overused

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

You mean the Rocket League that Epic owns now? Not hard to connect the dots there.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No it's disingenuous to keep trying to omit Sony when talking about complete cross-platform. It's also disingenuous to claim that Rocket League got cross-platform without Epic, considering the entire reason PS4 cross-platform exists is because of Epic and Fortnite. It took Rocket League 3 years and it only happened because of Fortnite. Sony literally had a no cross-platform stance until pressured by Fortnite's success and all the controversy surrounding said stance.

There are THREE games TOTAL that have cross-platform support across PC, Xbox, Switch, and PS4 and ALL of them can thank Epic for that. So, yeah, it's not "impossible" to get total cross-platform support, but literally NO ONE has done it up to now except for two of the most popular games in the world, one of which needed the other to help it along. You think the Dauntless developers could just make that happen on their own?...lol.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using Rocket League to prove your point and then calling someone else disingenuous is hilarious. Might as well use Minecraft next time too.

In order to get full Big 3 cross play, you basically need Epic or you need a Mega Ginormous Milk of the Gods hit at this point. There have been many other medium hit F2P games that have struggled with Sony.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is clearly still being dicks about it and hasn't opened the floodgates for every dev who wants to enable it yet so I can't blame Phoenix Labs for wanting to avoid the issue so their launch isn't stunted when there's a solution on the table via Epic.

No way would PL as a small independent studio have gotten any priority with crossplay right now without piggybacking on Epics deal with Sony.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You're connecting dots that aren't there. They created the cross-play tech for RL on their own. Epic bought them much later. Nothing to do with anything.
Let's put it this way. There are literally only 3 games that have full cross play between PS4, Xbox, and PC. Two of them are owned by Epic and the other has a close relationship with them and is exclusive to their launcher. The common factor is pretty obvious.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it's disingenuous to keep trying to omit Sony when talking about complete cross-platform. It's also disingenuous to claim that Rocket League got cross-platform without Epic, considering the entire reason PS4 cross-platform exists is because of Epic and Fortnite. It took Rocket League 3 years and it only happened because of Fortnite. Sony literally had a no cross-platform stance until pressured by Fortnite's success and all the controversy surrounding said stance.

There are THREE games TOTAL that have cross-platform support across PC, Xbox, Switch, and PS4 and ALL of them can thank Epic for that. So, yeah, it's not "impossible" to get total cross-platform support, but literally NO ONE has done it up to now except for two of the most popular games in the world, one of which needed the other to help it along. You think the Dauntless developers could just make that happen on their own?...lol.

My point is more about the technical limitations (or lack thereof) of making cross-play work. It has been demonstrated as possible before (and without) Epic. Epic deserves credit for forcing Sony's hand - I guess - but it would have happened eventually regardless, most likely next-gen.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hadn't heard of this game existing before now, or I forgot.

Which weapon is most analogous, if possible, to the greatsword from monster hunter? The GS of course being a charge based hit and run weapon where you get your big charge hit in and then sheath and wait for your next opportunity to strike.

JoshHood

Feb 3, 2019
Hey, Josh from Phoenix Labs here - the NA server issues are recovering now, please give it a shot if you were seeing long queues earlier!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
My point is more about the technical limitations (or lack thereof) of making cross-play work. It has been demonstrated as possible before (and without) Epic. Epic deserves credit for forcing Sony's hand - I guess - but it would have happened eventually regardless, most likely next-gen.
If you're just talking about technical limitations, I think we're all in agreement here. We're just talking about the business limitations.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Which weapon is most analogous, if possible, to the greatsword from monster hunter? The GS of course being a charge based hit and run weapon where you get your big charge hit in and then sheath and wait for your next opportunity to strike.
Looks like the Axe.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

The Axe has a charge mechanic.

Old video, but should give you an idea of how it plays:

If you want something a bit faster, there's the hammer which has an ammo shot you have to time for max damage.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, on base PS4 and with those graphics, the performance is inexcusable.

Too bad, perhaps next gen will be able to bruteforce this.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having some good fun with the game. If the performance issues get smoothed out I can see myself enjoying this long-term. It'll be nice to have cross progression with Switch, I could see this becoming my go-to F2P game.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Hey, Josh from Phoenix Labs here - the NA server issues are recovering now, please give it a shot if you were seeing long queues earlier!
Thanks for chiming in Josh. This is actually my first f2p game ever. I've never played Fortnite, Wireframe or anything else and I'm actually liking it a lot.

Oh yeah, get Verified so that you are more visible.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest early issue is it seems like that after everyone readies up it still competes the full 2 minute count down timer to start the mission anyway.

Edit: thought maybe that's an issue with groups that aren't at full 4 person cap?

Last edited:

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded this to try it out on pc and getting some performance/framerate issues, are the server problems the cause of that or should I try and troubleshoot a bit?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Took a few tries to get into a match with a friend on PS4, but we finally played the first couple hunts. It's obviously super early, but these hunts seemed very...basic. MHW definitely asked more out of players in the opening missions, and the area of Dauntless seem kind of boring to explore. I like the art style, and the core gameplay seems fine, but I can't imagine why anyone would choose this over MHW based on anything but a price perspective.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's something kind of off about the design or the flow of the game, or something that just hasn't clicked with me after a couple of hours. I want to get into it though, as MH isn't for me.

Also seems to use dynamic resolution on the Pro? Probably the same on X1X? Hub area is a muddy mess, but the actual hunts are crisp and have a decent framerate.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
After reading devs state there would be no pay-to-win, and then I open up the store and see damage buffs / healing items available for purchase with platinum, feels like they were lying. Granted it's not weapons or armor, but consumables that effect gameplay should not be purchasable with real money if the devs are 100% against pay-to-win.

Thought about picking up the Battlepass, but now I want to wait and see how the consumables economy plays out.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
My favorite part about the unskippable opening cut scene is watching it four times because the servers don't stay connected long enough to finish an eight minute tutorial.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of the quality of the actual game, it is a win that brings us closer to the ultimate goal of cross-platform play becoming the industry standard.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Is crossplay with PS4 people too? I was playing last night a few hours on Xbox and I only saw PC people and Xbox users ( looking at the tiny icons near their user names) and no one with some PS4 icons. I was looking to play with them too

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So checking out the shop, pay to win things, cosmetic things ect. Does anyone know what the deal is with the Elite Hunt Pass and why there's one that costs 1000 and the other is 2,400 +15 levels? What do those levels pertain to? Your character level which walls off being able to upgrade equipment to early? Or does the +15 levels thing talk about this row of rewards that the elite grants you something all the way to 50, while the basic skips rewards on many of its levels? Trying to get an understanding on how they're trying to hook us.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with this stuff but I'm assuming it's like Fortnite, where they want you to buy a pass for eash "season" to get all the rewards. Is this correct? They basically want players dropping $10 each 50 days or whatever the season lasts for right? Or am I misunderstanding their monetization?

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So checking out the shop, pay to win things, cosmetic things ect. Does anyone know what the deal is with the Elite Hunt Pass and why there's one that costs 1000 and the other is 2,400 +15 levels? What do those levels pertain to? Your character level which walls off being able to upgrade equipment to early? Or does the +15 levels thing talk about this row of rewards that the elite grants you something all the way to 50, while the basic skips rewards on many of its levels? Trying to get an understanding on how they're trying to hook us.

it's 1000 to unlock the premium track and 2400 to unlock the first 15 levels on that track. as far as i know, there isn't any p2w in this game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
it's 1000 to unlock the premium track and 2400 to unlock the first 15 levels on that track. as far as i know, there isn't any p2w in this game.

Ah it's the track. Got it ty. I see some of it as p2w since there are things like gold cores rewarded for buying their elite pass which give the player better augments. Yeah you can get them other ways through masteries, but they're here too for paying up.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's ok. It really is a lesser version of monster hunter but everything about it is just competent enough. Even picking up materials doesn't have the same impact it does in Monster Hunter. But it all works (as long as their servers hold in the rush hours). Worth checking it out if you're at all interested since it's free. I'm personally over the moon about it being cross play, as I've already taken advantage of it. Played with one friend on PC, one on xb1 and me on the PS4. Worked perfectly and this is the future I've been wanting so very badly. I really want to support and play this for that aspect alone.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Completely missed this in the beta period. Trying it out yesterday evening I was pleasantly surprised.

Performance really needs to be improved across the board (playing on an X here), and the micro transactions seriously skirt the border of being P2W but it generally feels fairly rewarding. Combat is fun and full cross play is a huge bonus especially being free to play.

It feels a little rough around the edges overall, almost like a game still in beta. I think over time this could be something really special though if the updates and improvements flow regularly.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
This game is exactly what you'd expect a F2P Monster Hunter would feel like. That's both good and bad, but I'm enjoying myself enough to have bought the battle pass. The mechanics are simple, but still enjoyable enough. Digging the Axe so far, since I'm a GS user in MHW. Looking forward to grinding out gear / weapons over the coming months.

That being said, I hope they can improve performance on the X1X. It's hovering around 30 on hunts, but in the town its pretty rough. It's got to be CPU bound because the art doesn't like it's pushing the GPU too much. The frame rate has to be unlocked though because solo during the tutorial it was definitely above 30fps.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This game seems like a good entry point for getting friends into monster hunter. I didn't bother with world because of all the awkwardness of multiplayer in that game, with the "play up to this point before people can join" and all that, just needless clunkiness. Made it a tough frustrating sell despite how good the actual game was.

This is, at the early game, shaping up to be a kind of worse monster hunter (though it is far too early to judge the quality of late game hunts obviously), but I'm kind of okay with that for an easier multiplayer experience to get friends into.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Enjoying this. Yeah is a bit glitchy here and there, bit hopefully will be ironed out.

Is basically Monster Hunter without the bullshit, especially after World left a sour taste when my partner and I got the game and tried to play together, only to find out that we couldn't except if we played separate first.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Well I hit my first game breaking bug on PC. Was on the move list in the airship waiting for the timer to finish counting down so we can go and it finished while I was still in the menu. After it finished loading the move list was stuck on my screen and I couldn't get it to go away; I still had full control of my characters' movement and everything. The only way I could get it to go away was to restart the game.

Other than that issue and the slight stuttering as I'm moving around the city, everything has been good for the ~2 hours that I have been playing. I have been playing with numerous people from every platform without a hitch so far.

I am sort of diggin' the game so far, but the it feels less responsive than something like MHW and the animation are harder to read than I would like It also feels like the dodge only works like 70% of the time I hit the button and I don't know if that is the game or me.

I'll play a few more hours of it tomorrow and see If I can't get the hang of it.

And Capcom really needs to take a look (they won't) at the lobby system of this game and take some inspiration from it, because difficulty of getting eveyone on the same page in MHW so my friends and I can play co-op seriously hampered our enjoyment of the game as a whole, seeing as we all bought the game to play together. Most of us fell off MHW after about 1 month because of the hassle its online system was to deal with.

Last edited:

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I played quite a bit before the end of the open beta and it's quite a lot of fun for me personally. It's basically MonHun but if you take away the smaller monsters, had one area and just focused on big monster battling, which for me was always the more exciting bits of MonHun games (and I'm not usually the biggest fan of them). Each weapon has its own niche (like MonHun games I'm using hammer for staggering).

The systems like perks on gear, elements on gear and , even crafting are VERY inspired by MonHun games so for fans of that series will be right at home.

You don't really need to buy stuff - doing masteries and quests will earn you those boxes that give you cells, and you can combine green cells into blues and then into purples to get the +3 perks. I barely use the items - you can craft consumables and if you're a half-decent player you'll be fine without the store stuff.

Especially as it's F2P, it's well worth a shot.