• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The daughter of an unvaccinated man who recently died from COVID-19 told CNN on Monday that she believes her father was a victim of misinformation, specifically saying Fox News star Tucker Carlson "played a role" in the vaccine hesitancy that led to his death.

Patrick Lane, a Boeing designer for 20 years, died from COVID-19 just days before Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine received full federal approval. While healthy with no underlying conditions, Lane quickly deteriorated following his diagnosis and was soon placed on a ventilator. Since his death, Lane's family has issued a public plea for people to get vaccinated.

His two children, Katie and Evan Lane, told CNN's New Day on Monday that while their dad wasn't an "anti-vaxxer" and was planning on getting the shot after the Food and Drug Administration fully approved the vaccinations, his hesitancy was fed by the media he consumed.

"There's multiple reasons, I think," Katie Lane responded when asked why her father had not gotten vaccinated. "One of which was some of the media that he ingested. He wasn't by any means far-right. He was right in the middle, and he consumed media from both sides, and just some of the misinformation on one of those sides made him hesitant."

She added: "So he was going to wait for FDA approval, but by the time that Pfizer had been approved, it was already too late."

Evan Lane reiterated that his father "wasn't anti-vaccine" but was instead "just hesitant," adding that his dad wouldn't have any issues with telling people now to get vaccinated. In fact, according to Evan, his father's final words to their stepmother were that he "wished that he was vaccinated."

Referencing remarks she had made to a local Washington news station, CNN anchor John Berman noted Katie had said "one media source in particular" had fed her father vaccine misinformation, asking her to clarify.

"He watched some Tucker Carlson videos on YouTube, and some of those videos involved some misinformation about vaccines, and I believe that that played a role," she declared.

The Fox News star has spent months relentlessly questioning the efficacy and safety of the coronavirus vaccines on his top-rated show. While insisting he is "pro-vaccine" and that he believes "vaccines are great" and "not dangerous," he has simultaneously (and falsely) suggested that the highly effective COVID-19 shots don't work and have caused thousands of deaths.

www.thedailybeast.com

Daughter Blames Tucker Carlson’s Misinformation for Unvaxxed Dad’s Death

“I believe that that played a role” in her dad's vaccine hesitancy, Katie Lane said of the Carlson videos her father watched.

Video of their CNN interview:

I feel so sorry for the children here. Sue the pants off Fucker Carlson.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Tucker Carlson literally killed people. Awful person and network. Fuck the Murdochs.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Feel awful for his family. Hope they are able to recover from this loss.

But its wild that this dude managed to "both sides" himself into an early grave.
"One of which was some of the media that he ingested. He wasn't by any means far-right. He was right in the middle, and he consumed media from both sides, and just some of the misinformation on one of those sides made him hesitant."

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Feel awful for his family. Hope they are able to recover from this loss.

But its wild that this dude managed to "both sides" himself into an early grave.

The middle is always a bad place to be. As if both sides are equal or something.

centrist-history-tout-a11.jpeg

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"Both sides" ignores asymmetrical polarization. If one side is saying "Vaccines are 90% effective and have a 0.1% chance of severe side effects" and the other side is saying "Horse dewormer and zinc are equally as effective as vaccines", meeting in the middle means taking slightly less horse dewormer.

Similarly,
"Donald Trump is a tax cheat" vs "Hillary Clinton literally eats babies"
"Stephen Miller's immigration policy reflects his historically white nationalist writings" vs "Ilhan Omar married her brother and wants to bring Sharia to Minnesota."

If you want to read "right wing news", read the WSJ, the Economist, maybe the National Review. Not Tucker and Hannity and Shapiro.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for him to go to court and argue again that no reasonable person would think he was telling the truth.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure the daughter is in distress and grieving and doesn't want to drag his father's name through the mud on national TV.

But under no circumstances is someone a moderate if they regularly watch Tucker Carlson and listens to him over the CDC. I get it she's not gonna say his dad was a loon, but there's just no both-sidesing that.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I really am praying someday that Carlson does succumb to some kind of scandal or hilariously stupid death.

The man cannot be allowed to continue in American public life.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The middle is always a bad place to be. As if both sides are equal or something.

centrist-history-tout-a11.jpeg

"Both sides" ignores asymmetrical polarization. If one side is saying "Vaccines are 90% effective and have a 0.1% chance of severe side effects" and the other side is saying "Horse dewormer and zinc are equally as effective as vaccines", meeting in the middle means taking slightly less horse dewormer.

Similarly,
"Donald Trump is a tax cheat" vs "Hillary Clinton literally eats babies"
"Stephen Miller's immigration policy reflects his historically white nationalist writings" vs "Ilhan Omar married her brother and wants to bring Sharia to Minnesota."

If you want to read "right wing news", read the WSJ, the Economist, maybe the National Review. Not Tucker and Hannity and Shapiro.

Yeah, I don't get how you can be in the middle in this day and age when one side is the truth with some bias here and there and the other side is completely nuts. There's a correct but flawed side and there's a wrong side. You can't be in the middle, you must be strongly leaning towards one or the other.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Carlson is 100% an evil asshole and has spread this lie far and wide.

However-these people infuriate me. He should have known better. And now we're being told to take the virus seriously. Yeah we know. We have been.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm sure the daughter is in distress and grieving and doesn't want to drag his father's name through the mud on national TV.

But under no circumstances is someone a moderate if they regularly watch Tucker Carlson and listens to him over the CDC. I get it she's not gonna say his dad was a loon, but there's just no both-sidesing that.

Yeah, he sounded pretty far right to me. I also think he was just stringing his kids along by saying "I'll get a shot when it's FDA approved," and that makes his actions even more cruel.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
His final words were "I wish I had got the vaccine".

You don't say? How many times are we going to hear this?

It's just frustrating.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
These are the people we should be angry at and that should be held accountable. They are killing people for profit with absolutely no consequences.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
"He wasn't far right"

"Tucker Carlson"

Oh kids, have I got bad news for you…

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, Tucker Carlson did and does feed his viewers garbage. But lady, your dad wasn't innocent here, he fed into that shit. No point pretending he wasn't right-wing.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Obviously tucker is part responsible, but the father was a grown ass adult that made his own decisions.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
poor kids ]=.. listening to them hurts my heart. Cant imagine what they went through.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get how you can be in the middle in this day and age when one side is the truth with some bias here and there and the other side is completely nuts. There's a correct but flawed side and there's a wrong side. You can't be in the middle, you must be strongly leaning towards one or the other.
You understand that people on the right make this exact same argument, right? They think that you're crazy and that their side is correct but flawed.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
He "wasn't anti-vaccine" but...

He "wished that he was vaccinated."

How many time do we need to see this? Why do people listen to media to make their health decision? Listen to doctors and epidemiologists.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
His final words were "I wish I had got the vaccine".

You don't say? How many times are we going to hear this?

It's just frustrating.
Not enough times, because we keep seeing articles about people denying they have covid all the way to their deaths. And then their families not getting vaccinated afterwards anyway.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You understand that people on the right make this exact same argument, right? They think that you're crazy and that their side is correct but flawed.

Doesn't matter what side it is, if one side appears correct and one side appears crazy, then that means you're not in the middle, which is my point.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
The moment she mentioned he wasn't "far right" but took Tucker Carlson's advice anyways, sorry lady. Your father *is* right wing delusional enough to listen to that madman.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking so sad. You always think your parental units as filled with wisdom and sage advice from years of living. And yet thousands dropping like flies from no common sense and falling for misinformation.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Tucker Carlson did nothing wrong except kill and orphan people with lies.

If a man can't even have the freedom to do evil things , then what is even freedom?

Signed: some moron

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that no one can sue Tucket Fuckface is so infuriating because "Nobody takes him seriously!"

Every one of his viewers takes him seriously.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Ah damn I saw this on Hasans stream earlier. The daughter is a member of his community and has been for awhile. Super sad

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make the midpoint the correct side
Obviously. I'm just pointing out that everyone thinks their side is "correct" and based on objective truth. I was responding to a poster who stated he didn't understand how anyone could waffle between the "one side that is the truth" and "the other that is completely nuts." Everyone thinks their side is the truth and the other is completely nuts. That's why it's so difficult to reach those who are already far down the Fox/OAN/Newsmax rabbit hole.

Who the fuck cares what they think? What is your point?
My point is that if you're using the same "logic" right-wingers use to make their arguments, maybe pause for a moment and consider that perhaps the argument you're making isn't that solid.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

It's quite easy for some people to be in the middle. The simplest way is just to pay no attention. They have no idea who's correct, or sometimes even what positions are being taken. Another way is to agree on some issues with one side, and on other issues with the other side.

A doctor and mental patient can both accuse the other of being crazy, that hardly makes it equally true.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. I'm just pointing out that everyone thinks their side is "correct" and based on objective truth. I was responding to a poster who stated he didn't understand how anyone could waffle between the "one side that is the truth" and "the other that is completely nuts." Everyone thinks their side is the truth and the other is completely nuts. That's why it's so difficult to reach those who are already far down the Fox/OAN/Newsmax rabbit hole.

...Except there are objective truths and they are on the side that denies them.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can keep your both sides bullcrap to yourself.
I'm not making a both sides argument at all.

A doctor and mental patient can both accuse the other of being crazy, that hardly makes it equally true.
I never said it was.

...Except there are objective truths and they are on the side that denies them.
And they say the exact same thing. Now what?

These types of arguments are why we consistently fail at converting the conservative voters who might otherwise be susceptible to flipping sides. Many are already too far gone, of course.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that if you're using the same "logic" right-wingers use to make their arguments, maybe pause for a moment and consider that perhaps the argument you're making isn't that solid.

I don't get your point. The only argument I was making was that the two sides are so widely opposed on this that you can't legit be in the middle, everyone is leaning towards one side. That's it.

But beyond that, I also don't your point about my argument not being solid because right-wingers use the same logic in this particular context. My logic that one side is the truth here is based on the global scientific consensus, the most respected institutions and scientists, with real, complete peer-reviewed data. Right-wingers can definitely use the same words that I'm using, but they absolutely can't use the same logic to argue their stance, because the global scientific consensus directly contradicts them. It's not the same logic, it's just the same words, but science only backs one side.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
He, along with his cohorts, also killed my Uncle & Aunt.

And that is not hyperbole. I have shared the story on here before.
They were very much Fox devotees and my aunt literally told my father during their last conversation that he was worrying for nothing and everyone on Fox said they would be fine.
My Dad was trying to talk her out of attending a funeral for my Uncle's brother (the brother died of cancer).
It did not work, and in May of last year they decided to attend a very large, very full funeral, Italian American funeral in North New Jersey.

Multiple people who attended that funeral caught COVID.
8 fucking attendees died. 2 of which were my Uncle and Aunt.

The shit tore my family apart. My dad no longer talks to any of his remaining siblings.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I actually can't understand why there has not been more of this.
What is the point of this post, aside from further gaslighting? The whole point of this is that Tucker Carlson et al. spew verifiably false information that kills people, who cares what they think.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
People like Tucker have so many deaths on their hands, including many who have died who got vaccinated and still got it because of spread. I have no sympathy for people dying to own the libs when so many are dying whose only mistake was being born into a society with such baboons running around.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get your point. The only argument I was making was that the two sides are so widely opposed on this that you can't legit be in the middle, everyone is leaning towards one side. That's it.

But beyond that, I also don't your point about my argument not being solid because right-wingers use the same logic in this particular context. My logic that one side is the truth here is based on the global scientific consensus, the most respected institutions and scientists, with real, complete peer-reviewed data. Right-wingers can definitely use the same words that I'm using, but they absolutely can't use the same logic to argue their stance, because the global scientific consensus directly contradicts them. It's not the same logic, it's just the same words, but science only backs one side.

Yeah, I saw your follow-up and while I agree that is difficult to understand how anyone could be caught in the middle, I do know a few people who fall into that camp so I disagree that it's impossible. I don't think politics are a binary thing.

As for the science, I agree with that too personally. The issue is that there are still a great many people who do not value observation and real-world measurements/analysis above other things (usually religion). You say they're crazy for not valuing truth as defined by science and they say you're crazy for not valuing truth as defined by the word of their respective deity. On and on it goes. One of the reasons I fucking hate religion in any context and will never support "as long as they're not harming anybody" positions, but that's a totally different discussion and we've probably swerved this thread enough already.