• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I wish to hear some advice here because I'm dealing with something that is driving me utterly crazy.
I met this girl 64 days ago and we have been seeing each other on a regular basis, chatting daily and when we are together 2/3 days a week we do everything that couples would do. I have a huge crush on her, totally in love and we talked about it frequently. She can't make up her mind because she doesn't know if she wants to start something with me or her ex-boyfriend. Where she had a on and off relationship with for the past three years.

This isn't normal right? This is really making me depressed but I have so many strong feelings for her..
Keeping me on a fishing line for two months.. anyone had a similar experience?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, I wish to hear some advice here because I'm dealing with something that is driving me utterly crazy.
I met this girl 64 days ago and we have been seeing each other on a regular basis, chatting daily and when we are together 2/3 days a week we do everything that couples would do. I have a huge crush on her, totally in love and we talked about it frequently. She can't make up her mind because she doesn't know if she wants to start something with me or her ex-boyfriend. Where she had a on and off relationship with for the past three years.

This isn't normal right? This is really making me depressed but I have so many strong feelings for her..
I would honestly either get a straight answer and walk, or just walk. She has a 3yr history of being on and off with her ex? Even if she says yes to you, do you really want that hanging over your head? Notice how the prevailing advice for breakups is to delete from your life and move on. She's obviously not there nor is there any indication that she wants to be there.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I would just tell her you like her and want to have a relationship but you're not going to wait around for her to decide between you and her ex. Tell her to take time to think about what she wants but in the mean time you want to keep contact minimal. Then I would just disappear of the face of the earth. If she wants you, she'll come.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

she's stringing you along and it's affecting your mental state. time to dial things back with her and look for other options. what she's doing isn't cool

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
This isn't normal right?

Not normal bruv. It's fine for someone to not be sure about a relationship after 2 months, but not if the reason is she wants to potentially get back (again) with an ex. That's a big problem.

I would tell her that I was going to give her space to decide and then disengage. It's going to hurt like hell until she decides, but sometimes temporary hell is better than purgatory.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Not normal but it looks like she's being a little selfish towards her EX, and honestly who knows she could cheat again I would drop her.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka

This sucks, and there is no way out of it without you getting hurt. I'll echo the feeling that you should stand your ground and tell that if she can't decide you'll walk. I know it's very hard thing to do, but I dunno, your post is not a good look on her, so even if she accepts your ultimatum, I dunno if you'll have a happy ending for you here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

This is a huge red flag. These types of people always go running back to their ex, you are just a placeholder. Have some respect for yourself and don't let her treat you like just another option.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
me attempting to navigate online dating

giphy.gif

I can be normal! I can go to hikes and on raves! I have a dog! And I don't have an account on ResetEra.com!

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

Heres your problem, you're basically not decisive enough and you talk to her way too much as well. "Look I really like you and given how this is going, I want this because I respect myself and don't want to suffer". Boundaries are SEXY.

That's it. Skip the "lets be friends" part if she goes back to her guy, you can be better than a rebound. And yeah seriously STOP texting her so much on top of having dates 2/3 times per week. Let her really miss you man. Don't be there for her all the damn time because it kills interest. And be firm about what you want

Nov 17, 2017
Ah the old frustrations of dating apps, I almost forgot about you.

Matched with a girl yesterday who immediately starts messaging me which is a rarity. We message back and forth with very little delay in between, there's flirtation and she literally confirms she's interested. So I ask for her number so we can set something up and she's like "oh I'm like super busy with work and school for the next 5 months."

At that point, I just made a joke and stopped messaging her. Like I get she's not interested but I don't get these people who go on dating apps just to chat. Somehow in my experience, it's always been the girls who enthusiastically initiate with me who are actually the least interested in actually going out.

Meanwhile, I was supposed to have a second date with another girl (first date went pretty well imo) but she cancelled 5 hours before with a pretty weak excuse and without offering an alternative so that's dead. I'd rather she just tell me she's not interested but I know how these things work so I'm not gonna chase her. If anything I'll ask her out one more time and let her continue to ghost or whatever.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Matched with a girl yesterday who immediately starts messaging me which is a rarity. We message back and forth with very little delay in between, there's flirtation and she literally confirms she's interested. So I ask for her number so we can set something up and she's like "oh I'm like super busy with work and school for the next 5 months."

At that point, I just made a joke and stopped messaging her. Like I get she's not interested but I don't get these people who go on dating apps just to chat. Somehow in my experience, it's always been the girls who enthusiastically initiate with me who are actually the least interested in actually going out.

Meanwhile, I was supposed to have a second date with another girl (first date went pretty well imo) but she cancelled 5 hours before without offering an alternative so that's dead.
Yeah, for some people, it's a validation and chatting game but not about seeking a relationship or real-life commitment. You're just an avatar, it's very virtual like Black Mirror.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, for some people, it's a validation and chatting game but not about seeking a relationship or real-life commitment. You're just an avatar, it's very virtual like Black Mirror.
Really the only real-life commitment I'm looking for at this moment is the commitment to go out on a date lol. I've seen so many profiles where girls will state they're on Tinder for friends. Tinder. For friends. Ok.

You're right though, she was definitely looking for some validation. It just threw me off cause she was so quick to message me. Usually those types like to be chased. It was an eye-rolling moment.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019

64 days? That kind of specificity sounds unhealthy.

A few things:

- How old are you? How old is she?
- She is using you to pass the time
- This is not good.

Nov 17, 2017
64 days? That kind of specificity sounds unhealthy.

A few things:

- How old are you? How old is she?
- She is using you to pass the time
- This is not good.
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. If you're counting it down the exact amount of days since you've met this person that tells me you're way too invested and obsessed with this. And why? The girl obviously isn't putting that kind of consideration or thought into you when she has all this headspace and time dedicated to her ex, DaeJim.

If a person can't be as sure about you as you are about them, they don't deserve you. If someone is unsure if they want to be with you, that means they don't want to be with you. By being the one who is more invested, you're pouring more of yourself into the relationship and getting not nearly enough back. Eventually you'll just drain yourself and be empty. Even if she chose you, would she have no lingering thoughts about her ex? Would it really be the end of the whole ordeal? Either way, the way she's treated you now is inconsiderate. Leave these kinds of people behind and find someone who actually wants to be with you.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019

Meanwhile, I was supposed to have a second date with another girl (first date went pretty well imo) but she cancelled 5 hours before with a pretty weak excuse and without offering an alternative so that's dead. I'd rather she just tell me she's not interested but I know how these things work so I'm not gonna chase her. If anything I'll ask her out one more time and let her continue to ghost or whatever.

It's weird you say that. I have a friend who went on a date with this girl, and he did his part in reaching out to her but she never gave a good response and he left it at that. Only for her to reach out months later asking if he ever planned on asking her out. When he told her what the deal was, she responded with "oh I guess I'm just used to guys hounding me if they were really interested". Don't take it personal. Some girls are just hella weird when it comes to things like this.

Nov 17, 2017
It's weird you say that. I have a friend who went on a date with this girl, and he did his part in reaching out to her but she never gave a good response and he left it at that. Only for her to reach out months later asking if he ever planned on asking her out. When he told her what the deal was, she responded with "oh I guess I'm just used to guys hounding me if they were really interested". Don't take it personal. Some girls are just hella weird when it comes to things like this.
Yeah that's the kind of game-playing I try to avoid. I'm not a fan of chasing though I know some girls like to be chased; I just try to be straightforward with my intentions and leave the ball in their court, so to speak. No need for me to repeat myself.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Don't mind me, just kinda speaking into the void here and jotting down my thoughts and feelings over the past week.

So it's been a few days since the second date with the friend I've had feelings for though it was less of a date and more of a talk of how she just doesn't see me in that way and while there may be a chance of her feelings changing down the line, she'd feel guilty and pressured of potentially leading me on and keeping me waiting on her. I basically accepted her thought process and we both decided to continue keeping things platonic. We did continue chatting a good hour or two after that before parting ways. I do appreciate that she was upfront and honest about everything, even going as far as taking time out to sit and talk with me in person about this when she could've very easily did this over text. It does sting a little bit to be honest but I'm at least glad that this played out (relatively) smoothly.

Things are gonna understandably be a little awkward since we have a bunch of mutual friends and we usually see each other weekly. I did make the choice to make my feelings known to her and I knew there was gonna be this risk involved. The day after was me constantly plagued by thoughts of regrets and anxiety but despite all that, I don't regret stepping out of my comfort zone and giving it a shot. I asked her out on a date not only for her but also a little bit for myself as a way to start making baby steps and gaining that little bit of self-confidence in this area even if things didn't work out.

As of right now, I would like things to return to normal between us but it's gonna take a little time for me to process it. I got invited yesterday to see Parasite (which I REALLY wanted to see!) with a mutual friend and she was gonna be going too. I thought long and hard about going but ended up deciding not to go. I know myself well enough to know that I would be too distracted to genuinely enjoy myself with her around and putting myself into this situation so soon after that talk wouldn't be fair to me. As much as I want to be friends, I'm only human and I can't just switch off these feelings at will.

So yeah. I shot my shot. Didn't work out.

We'll see what the future holds.

Nov 17, 2017
So not only do I see my ex on Tinder but I also walk out of work and she's literally straight ahead of me in her car, stopped at the light. She glanced at me and looked away, then quickly waved as she drove off. Didn't really react because I was just caught off guard.

Like it's a busy road and we work within 10 blocks of each other so it was just a coincidence but damn what a coincidence. That timing could not have been better for fucking with my emotions haha

Damn I've been gone so long that SuperiorTrashTalk is single now. Good luck back in the scene my man
Yep, back into the flames (Tinder) for me lol. Thanks!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have you ever gone from
doggie to walking back, sat on bed, into a reverse cowgirl, then she turns all the way around into a cowgirl, while you never pull out?
Good times 😉

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I need to vent, this has been an epically shitty day. Part of it is my own damn fault, being broken from an ex and not fully healing makes it easier to take offense and break down emotionally I guess.

I have with various success broken off romances and friendships with 3 different women in one day.

1) I met a woman abroad earlier this year and she's touring Europe as we speak. We've never had sex but have kissed and had lunch together. She's been bugging me on and off to come visit her and I truly wanted to too. Recently she suggested I come to Spain for a threesome, with the caveat that I pay for a 3 people hotel stay. Due to lack of trust and "if it sounds too good to be true..." I backed off, feeling like this was nothing but a scam. The friendship turned tainted over this imo and I decided it was broken beyond repair as even though we had kinda sorta made peace over it, she stopped responding to messages when I was about to take a leave of absence from work to go to her. Kinda confirmed that something was wrong with the picture. So I may or may not have fucked up a Brazilian threesome over nothing, we'll never know. She took the news a bit too well, heh.

2) I had made semi-serious plans with a woman who was coming to town for a few days over this weekend. That was about a month ago. Shortly after, she fell into the same old no response pattern that I've had enough of. Silence for 3 weeks and messages ignored. I realized that I haven't been true to myself around her. I've been more upset over her behavior than I've let on. Our plans fell through as expected and that was the last straw for me :/ We remain casual friends though, talking about it together like adults solved a lot of the issues, but since she lives about 2000 kilometers away, chances are I'll never see her ever again. Our interest levels never matched up properly and it's been kinda a waste of time. I'm more upset with myself fornletting it go this far, than I am with her.

And 3) I met a really sweet and beautiful girl at a rave on friday/night to saturday. We started making out within a couple of minutes, I even got to act as a door blocker from within the bathroom stall lol. It didn't turn sexual as one might expect but still. We danced a bit, we spent maybe an hour chatting and making out in a sofa. She turned a bit shy as we were about to go home together, saying she isn't that kind of girl basically. But we still walked to a burger place together, and more or less forgot to eat our food because we both seemed so enthralled with each other. She begged me to promise that I would contact her on instagram so we can meet again later this week, which I of course agreed to. Since she had made it clear we were not gonna sleep together (innuendo or otherwise), I respected her wishes and went home by taxi. I'm not pushy, in fact I was probably too passive as I didn't really escalate beyond kissing. We said good night over instagram after I came home, and she sent some flirty emojis and sweet messages.

Today I text her casually, wishing her a safe and fun work trip that she's taking this week. Then she drops the bomb that she's sorry about leading me on and that she only wants to be friends. Like wtf?! Where did that come from? Am I even chatting with the same person? XD So now that is more than likely ruined, I'm terrible at making the right decision under negative pressure so I didn't call her out on any of it. And if it was a shit test, I failed miserably simple because I refuse to play that game. She also had the gall to say that she got the impression that I was the one who had probably already fallen for her a bit too fast lol. Sure, I might've been enamored with her, but already in love is too much, which I told her.

I don't understand how you can beg someone to contact them, and even make plans to meet a second time so we can properly enjoy ourselves, her words basically, and make out with a stranger for hours and even go have food together with no friends around, and then in 24 hours time go to saying that "she feels no attraction whatsoever"...

I feel cursed. Bad shit keeps happening, friends are literally starting to ask what's going on :/

Rant over, but jfc :( I'm butthurt af over this.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
so i went on another date with my ladyfriend last night, and went GREAT. :D

the problem though, as i mentioned a few pages back is that neither of us has a place we can head back to for more intimate time.

does anyone have some suggestions on cheap hotels/motels in the L.A. area ?

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
I don't doubt your intentions at all, but your approach is starting to sound more like a plot/scheme than showing some interest in someone. She isn't a puzzle you have to solve, man.

I asked her out on Sunday. We are up for tomorrow to a coffee place that is in a hip part of town, maybe some drinks after if time permits. I like doing these "Do 2 different things in a date" because it allows to escalate very quickly. She seemed pretty upbeat about it "Yes! Any time you want" basically.

Weather conditions changed drastically, we are very very cold right now and she was feeling under the weather yesterday, so I sent her a quite restrained "feel better" text.

I am nervous she's gonna flake on me though. I know if the date actually goes through, I will be successful. The slow game has been working so far, displaying high status/worth both socially and personally. I've caught her interacting with my social-network activity, but it's time to close the deal.

I've fucking nervously dying inside since the moment I decided to ask her out, but so far I've been pretty good at maintaining my outer game, and I know that once it's show time, I'll do great.

She's playing you. Make it easy for her. Walk away. Let her know that until she makes up her God Damned mind, she's on her own. In this pathetic game, the one that quit first usually ends up taking the "prize". Although by the sound of it, she's a pretty shitty prize

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's almost skilful the way this girl I've added from Hinge is dodging suggestions to go out. Like carrying on the conversation, replying to every part except where I suggest we get drinks.

So done lol. So many people wanting pen pals, or an "avatar" like somebody above said. Online dating is a fucking nightmare.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It's almost skilful the way this girl I've added from Hinge is dodging suggestions to go out. Like carrying on the conversation, replying to every part except where I suggest we get drinks.

So done lol. So many people wanting pen pals, or an "avatar" like somebody above said. Online dating is a fucking nightmare.
lots of people yeah, men and women, just want texting buddies lol.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
lots of people yeah, men and women, just want texting buddies lol.
To my end I've not really texted anybody yet where I really feel like "oh my god I need to meet this person" so can't say I'm really annoyed, more just bemused.

My friends trying to set me up with one of her other friends. We'll see. She seems cool, but in my experience things rarely work out so neatly lol

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico

What lines have you tried?

Nov 17, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty annoying and has been my experience since getting back into online dating. I usually express my desire to go out within 3-5 messages and just leave it at that. In fact, I often will do that and then give them my number and tell them to text me so we can set something up. Then I can just leave that conversation behind. If they don't text me, I know they had no intention of going out and I've already moved on. If they do, then I try to set up a date.

I have to say, I dislike the dynamics of online dating. I'm someone who enjoys humor so I like to crack cheesy jokes but even I sometimes feel like a jester putting on a silly dance to just catch the attention of people who have already matched with me. Like I don't always go with humor - I also try to relate to or comment/inquire about something in their bio/pics if there's anything of note - but I've noticed in my interactions that humor is really the only way I get people to respond to me. But then the dynamic just feels like "can I hold their attention long enough to ask them out". It feels like a very one-sided interaction where I need to do the heavy lifting and convince them to respond/go out with me but no one has really put any effort like that towards me.

I feel like my profile is pretty good and I feel like I'm more appealing than the last time I did this but I barely get any matches. Even the "likes you" counter on my Tinder and Hinge are still in single digits after 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I wonder if my profile is even getting shown to people. It's frustrating.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty annoying and has been my experience since getting back into online dating. I usually express my desire to go out within 3-5 messages and just leave it at that. In fact, I often will do that and then give them my number and tell them to text me so we can set something up. Then I can just leave that conversation behind. If they don't text me, I know they had no intention of going out and I've already moved on. If they do, then I try to set up a date.

I have to say, I dislike the dynamics of online dating. I'm someone who enjoys humor so I like to crack cheesy jokes but even I sometimes feel like a jester putting on a silly dance to just catch the attention of people who have already matched with me. Like I don't always go with humor - I also try to relate to or comment/inquire about something in their bio/pics if there's anything of note - but I've noticed in my interactions that humor is really the only way I get people to respond to me. But then the dynamic just feels like "can I hold their attention long enough to ask them out". It feels like a very one-sided interaction where I need to do the heavy lifting and convince them to respond/go out with me but no one has really put any effort like that towards me.

I feel like my profile is pretty good and I feel like I'm more appealing than the last time I did this but I barely get any matches. Even the "likes you" counter on my Tinder and Hinge are still in single digits after 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I wonder if my profile is even getting shown to people. It's frustrating.
It's such a show.

The process of matching -> good opening line -> maintaining conversation -> talking for long enough to set up a date (but not TOO long, but not TOO short)

Without being cocky, I'm so much better in person and I've had way more success offline since I've been single. But it's just meeting people.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how you can beg someone to contact them, and even make plans to meet a second time so we can properly enjoy ourselves, her words basically, and make out with a stranger for hours and even go have food together with no friends around, and then in 24 hours time go to saying that "she feels no attraction whatsoever"...

I feel cursed. Bad shit keeps happening, friends are literally starting to ask what's going on :/
Eh, people do things in the moment they wouldn't have normally done. You did say you guys were enamored the whole time at the diner and maybe she didn't feel that way either. Point is, don't think too hard about it. Making out at a rave isn't a committal to anything and people's minds can change overnight, especially over a one-day thing. Don't dwell on it and keep on keeping on!

You guys all seem like wonderful people. I wished y'all lived in NYC
I do! We might've passed each other on Hinge at some point haha.

May 21, 2019

Wow, this is literally what I have been thinking lately. Are you me?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to vent, this has been an epically shitty day. Part of it is my own damn fault, being broken from an ex and not fully healing makes it easier to take offense and break down emotionally I guess.

I have with various success broken off romances and friendships with 3 different women in one day.

1) I met a woman abroad earlier this year and she's touring Europe as we speak. We've never had sex but have kissed and had lunch together. She's been bugging me on and off to come visit her and I truly wanted to too. Recently she suggested I come to Spain for a threesome, with the caveat that I pay for a 3 people hotel stay. Due to lack of trust and "if it sounds too good to be true..." I backed off, feeling like this was nothing but a scam. The friendship turned tainted over this imo and I decided it was broken beyond repair as even though we had kinda sorta made peace over it, she stopped responding to messages when I was about to take a leave of absence from work to go to her. Kinda confirmed that something was wrong with the picture. So I may or may not have fucked up a Brazilian threesome over nothing, we'll never know. She took the news a bit too well, heh.

2) I had made semi-serious plans with a woman who was coming to town for a few days over this weekend. That was about a month ago. Shortly after, she fell into the same old no response pattern that I've had enough of. Silence for 3 weeks and messages ignored. I realized that I haven't been true to myself around her. I've been more upset over her behavior than I've let on. Our plans fell through as expected and that was the last straw for me :/ We remain casual friends though, talking about it together like adults solved a lot of the issues, but since she lives about 2000 kilometers away, chances are I'll never see her ever again. Our interest levels never matched up properly and it's been kinda a waste of time. I'm more upset with myself fornletting it go this far, than I am with her.

And 3) I met a really sweet and beautiful girl at a rave on friday/night to saturday. We started making out within a couple of minutes, I even got to act as a door blocker from within the bathroom stall lol. It didn't turn sexual as one might expect but still. We danced a bit, we spent maybe an hour chatting and making out in a sofa. She turned a bit shy as we were about to go home together, saying she isn't that kind of girl basically. But we still walked to a burger place together, and more or less forgot to eat our food because we both seemed so enthralled with each other. She begged me to promise that I would contact her on instagram so we can meet again later this week, which I of course agreed to. Since she had made it clear we were not gonna sleep together (innuendo or otherwise), I respected her wishes and went home by taxi. I'm not pushy, in fact I was probably too passive as I didn't really escalate beyond kissing. We said good night over instagram after I came home, and she sent some flirty emojis and sweet messages.

Today I text her casually, wishing her a safe and fun work trip that she's taking this week. Then she drops the bomb that she's sorry about leading me on and that she only wants to be friends. Like wtf?! Where did that come from? Am I even chatting with the same person? XD So now that is more than likely ruined, I'm terrible at making the right decision under negative pressure so I didn't call her out on any of it. And if it was a shit test, I failed miserably simple because I refuse to play that game. She also had the gall to say that she got the impression that I was the one who had probably already fallen for her a bit too fast lol. Sure, I might've been enamored with her, but already in love is too much, which I told her.

Rant over, but jfc :( I'm butthurt af over this.
Was she rolling/under other types of influence then maybe came down from it? I've been on either side of that equation and it is what it is. I hear ya it's a bummer, but hey at least she was honest and saved you time and energy.

Nov 17, 2017
The process of matching -> good opening line -> maintaining conversation -> talking for long enough to set up a date (but not TOO long, but not TOO short)
Yeah this is it in a nutshell. It's such a delicate procedure where you make one little misstep and you've lost their attention or you've come on too strong and chased them off. Even if you do everything "right", of course it's online dating so it's no guarantee because they could be talking to/dating many other people in that moment. And that's a reality of dating I accept. Still, I feel like I have to be very calculated in how I approach each match in order to not lose them. I'm always trying to tweak my approach but regardless of how I do it, I always try to be genuine.

What bothers me a lot is that 9/10 girls I match with don't engage with me on the same level required for me to even momentarily catch their attention. Even the girls who message me first will say something generic and then expect me to carry the interaction and I often feel like I'm supposed to impress them or something. I mean, lots of girls straight up say on their bios "be interesting" "please know how to carry a conversation" but if you message these girls it's nothing but one word answers and I'm like "ok but what are you offering to this interaction?" I know this is just the dynamic of online dating but it's a tiring song and dance.

Wow, this is literally what I have been thinking lately. Are you me?
I would not be surprised that a lot of guys feel this way about dating apps. It's, unfortunately, the nature of online dating. You kind of just have to roll with it and hope you get lucky.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

My first month of online dating felt like basically what you said. Court jester hoping to hit some catches. It definitely worked, but it wasn't fun in any sense of the word. By my 2nd month, I've started gauging people by their responses too. If I'm the one doing all the work to keep us engaged, I drop it. It's halved my convos, but every interaction/date since then has been so much more rewarding.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this is it in a nutshell. It's such a delicate procedure where you make one little misstep and you've lost their attention or you've come on too strong and chased them off. Even if you do everything "right", of course it's online dating so it's no guarantee because they could be talking to/dating many other people in that moment. And that's a reality of dating I accept. Still, I feel like I have to be very calculated in how I approach each match in order to not lose them. I'm always trying to tweak my approach but regardless of how I do it, I always try to be genuine.

What bothers me a lot is that 9/10 girls I match with don't engage with me on the same level required for me to even momentarily catch their attention. Even the girls who message me first will say something generic and then expect me to carry the interaction and I often feel like I'm supposed to impress them or something. I mean, lots of girls straight up say on their bios "be interesting" "please know how to carry a conversation" but if you message these girls it's nothing but one word answers and I'm like "ok but what are you offering to this interaction?" I know this is just the dynamic of online dating but it's a tiring song and dance.

I would not be surprised that a lot of guys feel this way about dating apps. It's, unfortunately, the nature of online dating. You kind of just have to roll with it and hope you get lucky.
Court jester is a fantastic analogy. Juggling all the balls, "LOOK AT ME!" In the hope you'll maintain attention long enough.

I've been single for 4 months now and you know what being single is actually fantastic. Don't forget that. The freedom and individuality are pretty amazing.

Nov 17, 2017
My first month of online dating felt like basically what you said. Court jester hoping to hit some catches. It definitely worked. By my 2nd month, I've started gauging people by their responses too. If I'm the one doing all the work to keep us engaged, I drop it. It's halved my convos, but every interaction/date since then has been so much more rewarding.
The bolded is exactly what I do. My interactions online have a super short life ideally. Like I said, my goal is to ask them out within 3 to 5 messages so that's where it will end usually. It's just a struggle even reaching that point. I don't really have a problem dropping conversations that aren't working out. I rarely will message twice in a row; I always make sure to end my message open to response because I know closed statements will lose people, so it's usually some sort of prompt, question or something that really warrants a reaction and then I just wait for them to respond. They just rarely do. And so I know if they can't do that, I need to move on to the next person.

Unfortunately, I think my big issue is the lack of matches. If I halved my convos, I'd have 4 right now and those along with the ones I theoretically cut are all dead convos anyway lol. I see you're in NYC, I'm jealous honestly cause I hear it's much more lively there and easier to get dates. I don't even have the rural area problem - I live in Philly - but somehow it's like either no one's seeing my profile or they're just not interested.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the "dating apps are a pain" list. I decided to give dating another shot (I'm friends with the girl I met off Bumble a few weeks ago, so at the bare minimum I'm meeting new people), and I'm initiating and carrying like all my conversations. Thankfully, I'm dropping them when I'm bored because if someone can't carry on a barebones convo over text, they probably won't fare much better in person. I'm hardly charismatic but sheesh, you gotta put in some kind of effort.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
I am nervous she's gonna flake on me though. I know if the date actually goes through, I will be successful. The slow game has been working so far, displaying high status/worth both socially and personally. I've caught her interacting with my social-network activity, but it's time to close the deal.

No flake!

She just texted me about how we haven't set a place yet. So I did and also set the time. It's a date date! Going to go for broke and ask her if I can pick her up.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, I think my big issue is the lack of matches. If I halved my convos, I'd have 4 right now and those along with the ones I theoretically cut are all dead convos anyway lol. I see you're in NYC, I'm jealous honestly cause I hear it's much more lively there and easier to get dates. I don't even have the rural area problem - I live in Philly - but somehow it's like either no one's seeing my profile or they're just not interested.
After I got pickier my typical convo rate was like 1-2/week. But hey, I'd take that over 4 vapid matches tbh, which was coincidentally about my previous rate. I learned to not focus so much on the quantity, even though I acknowledge it can be a numbers game. Once I stopped worrying about volume, I not only freed up a bunch of swiping time, but also it stopped being on my mind all the damn time. But you're only recently out of a relationship, so I absolutely get your position. Just some food for thought once you inevitably get fed up with the song and dance lol.

How's the scene in Philly? I've only been two or three times, but it seemed pretty busy and with people of all ages.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Given how far away some of you are from your particular dating prospects: am I limiting myself too much?

I haven't gotten a single match with someone I really like in over a year and I live in a small village in New York State; about an hour and fifteen away from NYC. The minute I set my maximum distance on any dating app beyond 20 miles, the app makes every person I come across from NYC.

I think NYC is a pain in the ass to get to on a consistent basis, but ignoring the city completely severely limits the type of people I can meet. Also, certain apps like OKCupid that I really like but don't have a ton of people in my area using it almost only have people from NYC regardless of my distance settings.

Am I being stubborn about it, and should I just bite the bullet and allow myself to meet someone in NYC and just figure out how to meet them later?

Nov 17, 2017
After I got pickier my typical convo rate was like 1-2/week. But hey, I'd take that over 4 vapid matches tbh, which was coincidentally about my previous rate. I learned to not focus so much on the quantity, even though I acknowledge it can be a numbers game. Once I stopped worrying about volume, I not only freed up a bunch of swiping time, but also it stopped being on my mind all the damn time. But you're only recently out of a relationship, so I absolutely get your position. Just some food for thought once you inevitably get fed up with the song and dance lol.

How's the scene in Philly? I've only been two or three times, but it seemed pretty busy and with people of all ages.
Yeah, I admit I may be going at the dating apps a bit too hard but I'm not really looking for a serious relationship at this stage. It's mostly just that, like you said, it's a numbers game and if I don't focus on quantity, I'd probably not get a date for another 6 months. (Last time I was on Tinder it took me 6 months to get a date)

How can I describe the Philly scene... There is a variety of people, I think the standards may be a bit lower than somewhere like NYC too. My age range is like 22 - 32 and there's a lot of punk/art girls which are not really my type unfortunately and a lot of grad school students because of the colleges around the area. A lot of teachers ironically since the school system sucks here. I get a lot of Jersey people because my radius is like 20 miles so it catches some of them. I don't really get enough dates to accurately describe it better than that.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
I stopped using the apps about two months ago. Focusing on those seems like a total shit show. I browse not and then, but I don't expect anything from them. I've been more successful at meeting people through meetup.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Was she rolling/under other types of influence then maybe came down from it? I've been on either side of that equation and it is what it is. I hear ya it's a bummer, but hey at least she was honest and saved you time and energy.
I wouldn't know, she didn't mention anything besides alcohol, unlike others who straight up both offered and asked for it lol. It is a possibility of course but we both seemed fairly sober throughout the night. We didn't drink anything once we started spending time together anyway. The honesty was appreciated, sure.
Eh, people do things in the moment they wouldn't have normally done. You did say you guys were enamored the whole time at the diner and maybe she didn't feel that way either. Point is, don't think too hard about it. Making out at a rave isn't a committal to anything and people's minds can change overnight, especially over a one-day thing. Don't dwell on it and keep on keeping on
Yeah you're right. Just because I'm feeling something, doesn't mean the other person does too. Granted, I have been thinking too hard about it, but I'm fairly over it. I do intend to give it one more attempt, and resetting the narrative by the end of the week once she's back in the country. We're still instagram friends so unless that changes, it's worth one more shot.