• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys find it too much/weird if someone you're dating texted you "good morning beautiful"?

Me and this guy are exclusive and we've been seeing each other for a few months now. He texted me good morning so I said good morning beautiful back.
I'm hoping it's not too much or cheesy lol.
And if it is I'm thinking of what to text to recover from it.

This is the first time I've called him beautiful through text.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys find it too much/weird if someone you're dating texted you "good morning beautiful"?

Me and this guy are exclusive and we've been seeing each other for a few months now. He texted me good morning so I said good morning beautiful back.

Honestly, if you're exclusive, I don't think something small like that is going to do anything, the guy might appreciate it... did he respond back? You might be overthinking it haha

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you're exclusive, I don't think something small like that is going to do anything, the guy might appreciate it... did he respond back? You might be overthinking it haha

Haha he hasn't responded yet. But he was the first to reach out this morning with his good morning text.

Maybe I'm over thinking it lol. but I never want to overstep, even if we are exclusive with each other.

Nov 17, 2017

It is cheesy but when you're dating someone exclusively like that, you should be allowed to dish out the cheese. I'd find it charming in his shoes. Honestly if he were to have any serious issue with you saying something like that, that would reflect poorly on him. It's not like you're asking him to marry you.

Definitely overthinking this. You're good haha.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Hey Era, so what do you do when you're gay, socially awkward, only have straight friends and the gay scene in your country pretty much 100% parties (which I hate/find it impossible to talk to people in)

I've tried Grindr and Tinder and have had a few convos, even met some people I keep in contact with outside of it, but no luck on the romance front.

I've stopped trying the last few years, felt like I do more mental damage to myself by trying for so long with no success...

Should I keep trying, or just give up for now and give it time? I should point out that my country is relatively small (about 1 million people) so the dating pool isn't massive

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
It is cheesy but when you're dating someone exclusively like that, you should be allowed to dish out the cheese. I'd find it charming in his shoes. Honestly if he were to have any serious issue with you saying something like that, that would reflect poorly on him. It's not like you're asking him to marry you.

You're so right. I would really appreciate it if someone texted me that.

And you're so right. I'm sure I'm overthinking. I'm definitely an overthinker. Lol I suffer from anxiety because I always expect the worse. I don't know why but I just always want things to go well so I'm always worried that things won't.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era, so what do you do when you're gay, socially awkward, only have straight friends and the gay scene in your country pretty much 100% parties (which I hate/find it impossible to talk to people in)

I've tried Grindr and Tinder and have had a few convos, even met some people I keep in contact with outside of it, but no luck on the romance front.

I've stopped trying the last few years, felt like I do more mental damage to myself by trying for so long with no success...

Should I keep trying, or just give up for now and give it time? I should point out that my country is relatively small (about 1 million people) so the dating pool isn't massive

There's this app called MeetUp that could be useful for that. You join certain groups based on activities you like. I've thought about using it to make more friends, but have been procrastinating.

And yeah it's hard making friends in the gay community, because a lot just want to go out and drink/dance.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
There's this app called MeetUp that could be useful for that. You join certain groups based on activities you like. I've thought about using it to make more friends, but have been procrastinating.

And yeah it's hard making friends in the gay community, because a lot just want to go out and drink/dance.
I've tried that app actually, sadly it doesn't have much usage here so I mostly get people from nearby countries more than anyone local :(

It is, its one of the things that always prevented me from ever feeling like a part of the gay community, I don't consider myself to be in it

Nov 17, 2017
You're so right. I would really appreciate it if someone texted me that.

And you're so right. I'm sure I'm overthinking. I'm definitely an overthinker. Lol I suffer from anxiety because I always expect the worse. I don't know why but I just always want things to go well so I'm always worried that things won't.
No worries, I'm exactly the same which is why I knew exactly what to say. It's the stuff I have to tell myself sometimes lol

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

Pretty much everyone on Bumble BFF is gay, maybe try that

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Going on 2 dates this weekend still feels a little... weird. I know it's absolutely fine, just think it's my brain being hardwire to monogamy for 2 and a half years.

Hear hear. More cheese I say. My ex used to roll her eyes every time I'd send her a soppy text message waxing lyrical about how gorgeous I thought she was.

Some people aren't like that, sure, but my feeling is life is too short not to say nice things to people you care about.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The girl I was worried about ghosting me but was really just very ill has been texting me more and more frequently and definitely opened up quite a bit. I left the ball in her court and she asked me out on a second date for Monday. Fingers crossed?
Going on 2 dates this weekend still feels a little... weird. I know it's absolutely fine, just think it's my brain being hardwire to monogamy for 2 and a half years.
I know that feel. My rationale for myself is simply that first online dates are really just getting to know a person. It's the adult equivalent of smiling at a girl at her locker in high school. There isn't any sense of emotional commitment to come close to being polygamy. Pragmatically speaking, if you were to only talk to/go dates with 1 girl at a time, you risk completely passing up on the ones that might match with you best. Either way, good luck! I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I always feel weird about this but my boyfriend is really into white & Spanish girls and I am neither... I always fear he's not as attracted to me as he says he is & I fear he'll leave me for one of the two ethnicities mentioned.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I always feel weird about this but my boyfriend is really into white & Spanish girls and I am neither... I always fear he's not as attracted to me as he says he is & I fear he'll leave me for one of the two ethnicities mentioned.
I'm mostly into latinas but I would date anyone that is compatible with me, it's just a preference, not a requirement. If you keep being insecure about it you're going to cause problems for yourself.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I'm mostly into latinas but I would date anyone that is compatible with me, it's just a preference, not a requirement. If you keep being insecure about it you're going to cause problems for yourself.

Not quite sure how not to be insecure about it when he keeps making comments about white girls :/

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The girl I was worried about ghosting me but was really just very ill has been texting me more and more frequently and definitely opened up quite a bit. I left the ball in her court and she asked me out on a second date for Monday. Fingers crossed?

I know that feel. My rationale for myself is simply that first online dates are really just getting to know a person. It's the adult equivalent of smiling at a girl at her locker in high school. There isn't any sense of emotional commitment to come close to being polygamy. Pragmatically speaking, if you were to only talk to/go dates with 1 girl at a time, you risk completely passing up on the ones that might match with you best. Either way, good luck! I'd love to hear about your experiences.

That's also a good way of looking at it! Either way, the problem solved itself; the girl from last night cancelled. To be honest out of the two she was the one I was less interested in, the girl from tonight seems more attractive and we've been texting pretty much non stop.
Might rearrange the other date for later in the month, we'll see.

Now, got to devise the outfit...

I wouldn't use Meetup specifically for dating unless the group implies as such. I've been using Meet-up a lot this year and met some amazing friends, but there's honestly nothing worse than the guys who crowd every single woman there who just came to meet friends. I'm not saying anybody on this thread would do that, just an observation. I was in a relationship when I first joined, so it never really occurred to me in the first place.

Look at meeting somebody dating wise as a nice secondary to just making friends. The chances are if you're going out to bars/clubs with the group a lot there'll be other people there anyway.

Last edited:

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Like what? Maybe he's a dick and you need to dump him. We need more context

Well he said before that realistically speaking if there weren't major events in his life that has changed, he'd probably be with a white girl.. then he said specifically "god, a white girl with a fat ass would end me..." =\

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Well he said before that realistically speaking if there weren't major events in his life that has changed, he'd probably be with a white girl.. then he said specifically "god, a white girl with a fat ass would end me..." =\
... This is a big nono. That kind of attitude is not ok, does he not respect you? I would consider moving away from this.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You need to set boundaries. It's okay to talk about things you like or are attracted to, but it's kind of disrespectful if it's something you can't change.

I'm 5 foot 8, it's like my girlfriend going on about how she's really attracted to taller guys. She might be, but there's nothing I can do about it, so it's super shitty to talk about it incessantly.

I think you need to establish boundaries and call him out on it honestly. Or maybe give him a taste of his own medicine and see how he likes it!

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
You need to set boundaries. It's okay to talk about things you like or are attracted to, but it's kind of disrespectful if it's something you can't change.

I'm 5 foot 8, it's like my girlfriend going on about how she's really attracted to taller guys. She might be, but there's nothing I can do about it, so it's super shitty to talk about it incessantly.

I think you need to establish boundaries and call him out on it honestly. Or maybe give him a taste of his own medicine and see how he likes it!

Believe me, it pains me to hear how a white girl with a fat butt is his weakness...

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I can totally understand why it would, yeah. I think he definitely needs to be called out on it, it's just hurtful.

I've called out on plenty of things that he does that I don't really appreciate, such as him being on his phone 24/7 when I'm around when we should be spending time together ... and he blames me for it 😣 it's an odd feeling cause I feel like I should leave him, or rather I know. But I think I'm just at that stage where I'm comfortable.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've called out on plenty of things that he does that I don't really appreciate, such as him being on his phone 24/7 when I'm around when we should be spending time together ... and he blames me for it 😣 it's an odd feeling cause I feel like I should leave him, or rather I know. But I think I'm just at that stage where I'm comfortable.
I mean... I don't know the full story, but he doesn't sound great. Please don't stay in something just because it's comfortable, trust me when I say (from experience) you will regret it in the long run.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is very toxic behavior. Don't settle for comfortable. I know it's hard. I was "comfortable" for 9 years before breaking it off. And we weren't even disrespectful, just not compatible. You deserve better. No matter what your past experiences have been, don't let them define you.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
We as human beings have a tendency to settle because we're afraid of being alone. It's tough, depending on someone so deeply then having to do without, but there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oct 27, 2017
Not quite sure how not to be insecure about it when he keeps making comments about white girls :/

Reading this and your follow-up posts, it's likely he's just saying this to manipulate your confidence and keep you with him. A normal person would just want a partner that takes care of their body and embraces the skinny/thick/whatever features that they naturally have. Those are conventional, rather than idealized, beauty standards.

This man is an idiot though but don't blame yourself, we've all been vulnerable to a people like that before.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This is very toxic behavior. Don't settle for comfortable. I know it's hard. I was "comfortable" for 9 years before breaking it off. And we weren't even disrespectful, just not compatible. You deserve better. No matter what your past experiences have been, don't let them define you.

Seconded. Not much else to say but this relationships is going to grind you down over time GnarlyGunk

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Don't settle. I don't know him, but from what you've said, him hurting you (emotionally) seems pretty likely. you need to love yourself and tell him you need some time.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Frankly, I think you need to dump this fucker yesterday.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck think both of my dates for the weekend cancelled. What an absolute bummer. Both left me hanging until the absolute last minute as well. Quite inconsiderate really.

All in all, that makes 3 dates that have cancelled on me in the last week. I forgot how flaky online dating can be!

This weekend's a little dead now :(

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Damn GnarlyGunk , I couldn't imagine ever saying stuff like that to my girlfriend. Even if I do find some features attractive that she doesn't have I keep it to myself because I care about her feelings. Clearly your boyfriend doesn't care about yours. It's like he's trying to feed your insecurity to give him the advantage in the relationship.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck think both of my dates for the weekend cancelled. What an absolute bummer. Both left me hanging until the absolute last minute as well. Quite inconsiderate really.

All in all, that makes 3 dates that have cancelled on me in the last week. I forgot how flaky online dating can be!

This weekend's a little dead now :(

That sucks :( I'm sorry to hear but don't be too bummed. Someone's out there for you :)

Damn GnarlyGunk , I couldn't imagine ever saying stuff like that to my girlfriend. Even if I do find some features attractive that she doesn't have I keep it to myself because I care about her feelings. Clearly your boyfriend doesn't care about yours. It's like he's trying to feed your insecurity to give him the advantage in the relationship.

Yeah it kinda does feel that way... at the end of the day it definitely doesn't help with my insecurities and he's always asking why I'm insecure >_<

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That sucks :( I'm sorry to hear but don't be too bummed. Someone's out there for you :)

Yeah it kinda does feel that way... at the end of the day it definitely doesn't help with my insecurities and he's always asking why I'm insecure >_<
Aw thanks, I'll be fine... just licking my wounds. Luckily my friend's having a party tonight, so I'm not sat home alone for the second night in the row!

And honestly mate I'd look over some of the posts giving advice here and have a real careful think. You deserve better.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Aw thanks, I'll be fine... just licking my wounds. Luckily my friend's having a party tonight, so I'm not sat home alone for the second night in the row!

And honestly mate I'd look over some of the posts giving advice here and have a real careful think. You deserve better.

Maybe you'll find someone at the party :3!

I know .. everyone's been telling me the same. I think I'm just settling because he's a nice guy. And all of my exes were a-holes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe you'll find someone at the party :3!

I know .. everyone's been telling me the same. I think I'm just settling because he's a nice guy. And all of my exes were a-holes.
Haha wouldn't that be grand?

Having a total a-hole ex warps your perspective I think. My first girlfriend of 5.5 years was jealous, possessive, and borderline emotionally abusive. My recent ex of 2 years was much nicer; but that said, the aforementioned a-hole made me ignore some of the flaws in the latter relationship because I thought "Well this is really good!". In comparison to my first girlfriend, it was, but objectively, it wasn't. Know what I'm getting at?

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Having a total a-hole ex warps your perspective I think. My first girlfriend of 5.5 years was jealous, possessive, and borderline emotionally abusive. My recent ex of 2 years was much nicer; but that said, the aforementioned a-hole made me ignore some of the flaws in the latter relationship because I thought "Well this is really good!". In comparison to my first girlfriend, it was, but objectively, it wasn't. Know what I'm getting at?

I do... which is why I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he's as loyal as he claims he is while making all these types of comments

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'm not sure if this post has a point. It's mostly a vent and maybe people who have had similar experiences can chime in.

My girlfriend will very likely move to another state for a new job by the end of the month or early next month. I don't see us moving forward into a long-distance relationship, so we will probably end things when she moves. We've only talked about this once a couple of months ago and she didn't think we could or should have an LDR. We're in a better place now in our relationship, but I'm saving myself from imminent disappointment by considering that I will be single again soon.

I'm in two minds about this; it really sucks that we will have to end it like this when both of us are still very much into each other, but on the other hand our online communication isn't great sometimes, and I fear that an LDR would just delay the inevitable and our relationship would fizzle out due to distance and lack of communication. So in a sense it might be for the better if we end things amicably now and go our separate ways, but in some other sense I feel bad because I like her and the relationship hasn't run its course with a traditional breakup.

I knew what I was getting myself into since we started dating early April while she was finishing up her masters, and after that she would be on the lookout for jobs so that she would move out by the end of summer. That didn't happen since job searching is hard and soul-crushing, but still I knew things would probably end soon. I went ahead and got together with her anyway since we liked each other, it was my first relationship (had a lot of "firsts" in dating life here) and I don't regret one bit of it. I got more attached than I thought I would over time, or maybe I just got used to her being around me all the time, since we spent almost the entire summer together, doing things outside or hanging out in each other's apartment.

It doesn't sound much since by the time she leaves the relationship would have lasted about 6 months, and I'm sure people break up due to moving all the time. It was however my first relationship and I consider it important despite its length. I wonder if I will go through the typical stages of dealing with a breakup, and I wonder how I will handle being alone again. My apartment will certainly get much quieter. Anyone gone through something similar?

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Alright I'm not sure if this post has a point. It's mostly a vent and maybe people who have had similar experiences can chime in.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. LDRs are never fun & breakups especially isn't fun when you're both equally into each other. I feel like if you think she's the one & worth fighting for, why not give LDR a shot?
If you're adamant about ending things amicably, I would suggest you to start finding a hobby to help distract you from her if you don't have one already. That's the easiest way to help cope with a break up.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
This sucks. Been hanging out with an old flame again lately. We've known each other 3 years and dated on an off for 2 of them. Great chemistry, always fun hangouts, super compatible sexually. So we were always drawn back to each other. She never wanted to properly be together because she knows I love her, and she doesn't love me in spite of how close we are. So this year has been more distant than previous ones, although neither of us have really gone out with anyone else either.

We made plans to stay the night together tomorrow night. Then yesterday she tells me the plans will have to be pushed back to next week because of lady issues. Then she drops the bomb on me that she has a date tonight, meeting someone for the first time but she has a good feeling about it. And that, obviously, if things go well, our plans are off.

This is entirely my fault for being stupid. But it hurts so god damn bad to know that the person you love is gonna be going out on a date, and is willing to push you aside to pursue it.