• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm currently using Tinder + Bumble to try and land a date, and communicating with those you match with seems next to impossible. Not only do you need to actually be swiped right first, you also need for that swipe to be intentional and not just a spammy thing, then you have to break the ice, which is made even harder (at least for men) by the need to be seen and heard through what is no doubt a hurricane of noise for women.

Assuming you're even able to have a decent enough conversation on the app itself, then you have to worry about being ghosted and having your time wasted even more. I mean, I realize I'm socially awkward, but does it really have to be this fucking difficult?? How many hurdles is one expected to jump perfectly just to have one good date that may not even lead anywhere itself? Surely we don't need to make it this hard for ourselves to socialize.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impersonal means easier to get your end in with no strings attached though. Pros and cons mate.

Oct 28, 2017
You're socially awkward and want more social interaction? Small talk and the possibility of being ghosted are BBC still present no matter how you go about dating.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Back when I was dating, I didn't find it hard to come up with an opener. Just comment on something in their picture or bio, maybe have an anecdote to share, just shows your interest and that you're not spamming the same one liners or greetings. Oh and leaving with a question so they have something to respond with. Ghosting is just part of dating life you have to accept and not take too personally.

How are your pictures? Could they do with improving?

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried Okcupid? I met my wife on that one 6 years ago, and it was not that hard for me to get dates. I was just about to get tinder dates back then but then my wife came along so I deleted it.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can one get certified in Tinder? Like a Salesforce Cert. or some like that? 🤔

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Back when I was dating, I didn't find it hard to come up with an opener. Just comment on something in their picture or bio, maybe have an anecdote to share, just shows your interest and that you're not spamming the same one liners or greetings. Oh and leaving with a question so they have something to respond with. Ghosting is just part of dating life you have to accept and not take too personally.

Absolutely no doubt. I'm about as photogenic as a slug.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

I used to love it when you'd send an icebreaker and get a lol or haha back.Those were always the best responses.

I remember when I met my now wife on an app, her response to my ice breaker was joke back and short message that I could use to build a conversation. I can't imagine what kind of wasteland online dating is now.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
You can't take the rejection personal, plenty of people are on there just for self validation. I have plenty of friends who are girls who hop on it just wanting to feel valued in the moment but with no real drive to meet strangers.

That said, you stay on it long enough you may not find love but you will get your interesting hookups and stories.

My favorite one is a girl who invited me up to her apartment to drink and have sex but started crying to me how she moved here to get to know her daddy but he doesn't love her, after yelling how we needed to deport all the Mexicans.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Have you tried Okcupid? I met my wife on that one 6 years ago, and it was not that hard for me to get dates. I was just about to get tinder dates back then but then my wife came along so I deleted it.
Yeah I feel I lived through the sweet spot time to date online. It was still a bit unorthodox and many people saw it as for weirdos. A great time to be a weirdo cos you could meet fellow slightly weirdos quite easily. Now that absolutely everyone is on Tinder and given how absolutely impersonal and vapid it is, it's impossible.

Met a few people through OK Cupid and eventually my now 10+ year girlfriend. We had a brief break up and I tried Tinder. Not a single match in a month nevermind even talking to anyone. Ooft fuck that noise.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I have given up, and am patiently awaiting my ascent to wizard-hood.
Every time I've have a Dating app open, it has negatively impacted my mental state quite notably.
I have decided not to bother, what's the point when I can't even make new platonic friends these days.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It can be tough out there for men. Thanks to social conventions we're still overwhelmingly expected to make the first move, which means you end up being a blip in the torrent of noise women receive on any given app.

And with so many choices, they've only got time to consider a few of the hottest/most interesting guys in their inbox. Which is completely understandable, if not very relatable.

I've been off apps for about a year now as I've been focusing on working out (I wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but felt it couldn't hurt to improve) and rediscovering old hobbies, and I'm legit anxious about ever getting back on. It's my only real chance to meet new women, and yet it is a ton of work for very little payoff and a considerable drain on my confidence.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
User Banned (1 month): inflammatory generalizations
I'm currently using Tinder + Bumble to try and land a date, and communicating with those you match with seems next to impossible. Not only do you need to actually be swiped right first, you also need for that swipe to be intentional and not just a spammy thing, then you have to break the ice, which is made even harder (at least for men) by the need to be seen and heard through what is no doubt a hurricane of noise for women.

Assuming you're even able to have a decent enough conversation on the app itself, then you have to worry about being ghosted and having your time wasted even more. I mean, I realize I'm socially awkward, but does it really have to be this fucking difficult?? How many hurdles is one expected to jump perfectly just to have one good date that may not even lead anywhere itself? Surely we don't need to make it this hard for ourselves to socialize.

IMO (gross generalizations follow) dating is harder than ever as cheaper travel, social media, and apps have given people more (real and perceived) options. That has seemingly made people in general less committal, and more wary of going on a "serious" date because they are concerned about intentions and it weirdly makes "hooking up" easier than "going to dinner". It means you have to respond by being prolific in meeting and asking people out, and you need to get less sensitive about rejection.

On Tinder (or any online dating) in particular, it's a volume game where competition is high. You have to present yourself as high value AND "different". Have good photos including one showing you in a social situation, same something interesting and different in your profile, always open asking a question about something specific to their photos or profile, and always respond to them with a comment/answer and another question. Then try to transition the conversation to another messaging app or txt within a dozen or so back and forths. Suggest dates that are more on the casual side such as getting coffee, drinks, or a dessert somewhere rather than something where the person may be wary of being "stuck" like touring a vineyard or some fancy dinner.

Tinder or not, ghosting is a prevalent thing you just have to suck up. It's a response to toxicity and an easy way of avoiding an awkward conversation or conflict in the modern age. You aren't really wasting that much time sending a few messages back and forth only to be ghosted. Just view it as the person being not considerate enough and that they probably wouldn't be "worth it" because of that anyway (and don't keep sending them messages either).

If you are really stuck and lacking confidence, and assuming you are in the US, save up and take Tinder with you on a vacation to South America or South East Asia (if you haven't traveled this would be confidence building and good for life experience anyway). (Further gross generalization) Women in those regions seem somewhat more responsive than those in North America and Western Europe especially to foreigners, and a little more eager and bolder when it comes to going out on a date (use Google Translate if necessary). Of course, if you want something more meningful to come out of that approach, the logistics are going to be challenging.

tldr; be prolific, don't sweat ghosting

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It can be tough out there for men. Thanks to social conventions we're still overwhelmingly expected to make the first move, which means you end up being a blip in the torrent of noise women receive on any given app.

And with so many choices, they've only got time to consider a few of the hottest/most interesting guys in their inbox. Which is completely understandable, if not very relatable.

I've been off apps for about a year now as I've been focusing on working out (I wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but felt it couldn't hurt to improve) and rediscovering old hobbies, and I'm legit anxious about ever getting back on. It's my only real chance to meet new women, and yet it is a ton of work for very little payoff and a considerable drain on my confidence.
It's tough for everyone. Was talking with a galpal over dinner last night about her recent dating experiences and it's hell out there. She got a billion choices but the majority of them are creeps or fuck boys and even the people that pass the threshold to even meet end up being weird creeps because of course they are.

Not to discount what guys gotta go through too. That's definitely another sort of sad hell. It's just completely shitty all-around, especially if you're trying to find someone to be serious with and vibe with beyond sex.

As stated earlier, five/six years ago pre-Tinder when OKC was the place to find decentish ppl, it waa tough but still possible to find decent people. Not quite the same anymore.

It's a numbers game all the same at the end of the day but something in our society has shifted over the that past six or so years (and no, it's not just Trump lol) that has made the experience completely unenjoyable for everyone. Everyone is just shitty.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's tough for everyone. Was talking with a galpal over dinner last night about her recent dating experiences and it's hell out there. She got a billion choices but the majority of them are creeps or fuck boys and even the people that pass the threshold to even meet end up being weird creeps because of course they are.

Not to discount what guys gotta go through too. That's definitely another sort of sad hell. It's just completely shitty all-around, especially if you're trying to find someone to be serious with and vibe with beyond sex.

As stated earlier, five/six years ago pre-Tinder when OKC was the place to find decentish ppl, it waa tough but still possible to find decent people. Not quite the same anymore.

It's a numbers game all the same at the end of the day but something in our society has shifted over the that past six or so years (and no, it's not just Trump lol) that has made the experience completely unenjoyable for everyone. Everyone is just shitty.

I'm sure getting flooded with douchery has to be gross and frustrating but at least there's the satisfaction of feeling desirable, I would think.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
I wouldn't really call the initiating ritual dating anymore. It's not even courting. And it is going to be impersonal because until someone is given a reason to be invested in someone else there's no real reason to. Ask yourself if you would be invested in a random face on the street that you know a 100 characters about?

You don't need to be the best looking person in the room. You just in general do not need to care about someone until they give you reason to care. Would you get invested in random people on the street that you know some info about and had a passing conversation?
It isn't difficult to be interesting either, just live your life and pursue your hobbies, travel a bit and take some nice pictures and use the apps as you travel - most people are down to meet someone but don't expect it to be something that lasts. However on the plus side it boosts your confidence and improves your approach for when you're back home.

And you'll get ghosted because it's socially acceptable now plus there are many people who can't take a hint that you're not interested.

I'm only curious how dating is going to skew as people start getting older and there will be fewer younger people. As is I see people are more willing to date those who are settled or sorted to some degree and that's not easy for those who are younger.

The real key to dating apps is to not expect an answer to your single status/dating life/relationship goals but to just go with the flow until there's mutual investment. Also try mixing it up a little with social activities with extended friend circles or events if you're okay with that.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
One thing that blew me away in a singles Facebook group I'm in: someone started a "never have I ever thread," and several women were claiming that they had been in threesomes/foursomes but never been on a "real date."

The age range of this group is mid 20s-early 50s. How is that possible?? Are people really just fucking these days?

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
One thing that blew me away in a singles Facebook group I'm in: someone started a "never have I ever thread," and several women were claiming that they had been in threesomes/foursomes but never been on a "real date."

The age range of this group is mid 20s-early 50s. How is that possible?? Are people really just fucking these days?
That applies to me to a T and a lot of people I know.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People even try to hit me on LinkedIn nowadays. What a time

lol

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Just appear to be hot. If not, successful. If not, fun (only works short term though).

IRL dating is way easier for "average" people. Partake in some group activity and go from there.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If you're looking for a serious relationship, I honestly think you have to look at it like you're grinding out RNG in a video game until you meet someone on a date that you really, really feel like you click with. The failure rate is high but there's no punishment for trying over and over again with hundreds of different people.

I also don't think pictures matter that much at least on OKCupid. Mine are pretty bad because I have too much dysphoria to take good ones but I still get matches. But people tell me the way my profile is written is better than average so *shrug*

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
It has never been easier to connect with people and there are countless stories of people finding meaningful, long term relationships online.

Your takeaway being that online dating is difficult rather than acknowledging that maybe you're doing something wrong is probably emblematic of why you're not having success.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so old, met my wife at school (we didn't get together until years later). Previous to that all my gf's were from social interactions, or just random people I met and clicked with.

Is it that hard to just go out and make conversation with people IRL these days?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I feel so old, met my wife at school (we didn't get together until years later). Previous to that all my gf's were from social interactions, or just random people I met and clicked with.

Is it that hard to just go out and make conversation with people IRL these days?
Yes it is. It is not that easy anymore to just start easy going conversations.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
im really glad im' in a long lasting relationship, no way i could handle this stuff

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

The people who don't have issues going out and chatting up people are probably not going to be in online forums complaining about it all :P

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten the hang of it. No wait, I did go out on a date once like 3 years ago.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The thing that irks me is all the premium account bullshit they throw at you. Like Tinder Gold for instance ( I haven't been on in awhile, is that still a thing?) Like DLC packs in real life get the hell outta here.

I think I've spent half the year off apps now and I feel better about myself, am I the only single one in my core group of friends? You bet, Do I seek companionship? Absolutely but I'm not putting myself through the ringer for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think tinder and bumble are pretty easy to use. Well, bumble looks nicer and stuff but the time restrictions and other restrictions they put makes it a much shittier experience. I am not a heavy user of either apps though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that irks me is all the premium account bullshit they throw at you. Like Tinder Gold for instance ( I haven't been on in awhile, is that still a thing?) Like DLC packs in real life get the hell outta here.

I think I've spent half the year off apps now and I feel better about myself, am I the only single one in my core group of friends? You bet, Do I seek companionship? Absolutely but I'm not putting myself through the ringer for it.
The best way to approach these sites, imo, if you're serious about dating... is to just treat them as a paid service.

If you can afford it it gets rid of a lot of the headaches.

Nov 17, 2017
I feel you, OP. Online dating is a surefire way to destroy your self esteem, especially if you're a guy. I made the mistake of getting back on dating apps after a relationship where I felt undesirable and unattractive in because if you want to feel those two things, there's nothing better than online dating to feel like no one wants you.

On Tinder (or any online dating) in particular, it's a volume game where competition is high. You have to present yourself as high value AND "different". Have good photos including one showing you in a social situation, same something interesting and different in your profile, always open asking a question about something specific to their photos or profile, and always respond to them with a comment/answer and another question. Then try to transition the conversation to another messaging app or txt within a dozen or so back and forths. Suggest dates that are more on the casual side such as getting coffee, drinks, or a dessert somewhere rather than something where the person may be wary of being "stuck" like touring a vineyard or some fancy dinner.
This is exactly why online dating as a guy is such a frustrating ordeal. Speaking strictly from a guy's perspective, it feels like you need to make your way through a textbook's worth of steps and do them perfectly to even have a chance at a date. Most women I encounter on apps are incredibly fickle. You can do the things you list above but any little thing can cause the person to completely lose interest even if they seemed completely invested a moment before. There's almost a Goldilocks logic to it: if you message them for too long, they'll get bored but if you ask them out too quickly you come on too strong. You conversation can't be too shallow but it also can't be too deep, your messages can't be too short or too long, you have to show interest but not too much interest, you have to be funny but not make too many jokes, etc. I've tried to approach people in every way I could think of but it just never seems to work and I wonder why they even matched with me.

I feel the role guys often have to play is that of the court jester; trying to entertain royalty who will send them away at a moment's notice if they are not constantly providing entertainment and distraction. On dating apps, you're juggling balls, smashing pies in your face and jumping around goofily like "look at me! look at me!" just to hold their attention long enough to ask them out on a date or get their number. You mentioned always ending your responses with another question so they will respond and it just reminds me of how much you're required to guide the ship. So many women will say in their bios "please know how to carry a conversation" yet you need to hold their hand through the entire interaction, leading the conversation and making sure to hand them easy follow ups. Even then, I'll ask very open questions that you can't simply answer yes or no too and yet I'll still get like three word responses and nothing for me to go off of. In the end, I feel like I'm doing all this work. I feel like I'm trying to prove my worth and sometimes it's just like "what do you have to offer to this?" And of course, we both realize that they don't have to offer anything to find interested people. There's always another guy messaging them that could be more interesting. I guess that's just the dynamic. There's more guys than girls on the apps and like you said it's highly competitive so guys have to sell themselves and that's often a very frustrating and humiliating process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I feel you, OP. Online dating is a surefire way to destroy your self esteem, especially if you're a guy. I made the mistake of getting back on dating apps after a relationship where I felt undesirable and unattractive in because if you want to feel those two things, there's nothing better than online dating to feel like no one wants you.

This is exactly why online dating as a guy is such a frustrating ordeal. Speaking strictly from a guy's perspective, it feels like you need to make your way through a textbook's worth of steps and do them perfectly to even have a chance at a date. Most women I encounter on apps are incredibly fickle. You can do the things you list above but any little thing can cause the person to completely lose interest even if they seemed completely invested a moment before. There's almost a Goldilocks logic to it: if you message them for too long, they'll get bored but if you ask them out too quickly you come on too strong. You conversation can't be too shallow but it also can't be too deep, your messages can't be too short or too long, you have to show interest but not too much interest, you have to be funny but not make too many jokes, etc. I've tried to approach people in every way I could think of but it just never seems to work and I wonder why they even matched with me.

I feel the role guys often have to play is that of the court jester; trying to entertain royalty who will send them away at a moment's notice if they are not constantly providing entertainment and distraction. On dating apps, you're juggling balls, smashing pies in your face and jumping around goofily like "look at me! look at me!" just to hold their attention long enough to ask them out on a date or get their number. You mentioned always ending your responses with another question so they will respond and it just reminds me of how much you're required to guide the ship. So many women will say in their bios "please know how to carry a conversation" yet you need to hold their hand through the entire interaction, leading the conversation and making sure to hand them easy follow ups. Even then, I'll ask very open questions that you can't simply answer yes or no too and yet I'll still get like three word responses and nothing for me to go off of. In the end, I feel like I'm doing all this work. I feel like I'm trying to prove my worth and sometimes it's just like "what do you have to offer to this?" And of course, we both realize that they don't have to offer anything to find interested people. There's always another guy messaging them that could be more interesting. I guess that's just the dynamic. There's more guys than girls on the apps and like you said it's highly competitive so guys have to sell themselves and that's often a very frustrating and humiliating process.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
China
I quickly learned to use the fishing approach to online dating (Pre-Tinder and mutual matches). Make sure your profile is on point and wait to see who messages you. Being proactive was a waste of time with no replies or a single response answer that was like pulling teeth to get a conversation going.

Fishing allowed me just to check who messaged me and not constantly checking to see if I'd got a reply to a message I didn't want to miss or reply late to.

I could then focus on people that were interested in me. Never had any problems after swapping to fishing.