• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I'm on AT&T. My family's plan (me, wife, daughter) has 9gb a month. Most months, that's enough. Our monthly average is 7.5gb.

This month, for whatever reason, we went over. Seems like years ago, if you went over, you could buy more data, or just pay (an exorbitant price) as you go for the rest of the month.

Neither of those options exist anymore now, at least not with AT&T. They sent me a message that says "You used all your high-speed data for this bill period. You're now using low-speed data (128kbps) until your next billing period starts." Which for me is not until Wednesday of this week.

Do you know how fast 128kbps is on a phone? It is awful. My phone still shows that I'm connected to LTE. They just put an artificial limiter on me. My wife texted me a picture and it took three full minutes to download.

They don't give you an option to buy more. And even if I decide to change my monthly plan right now to a higher tier, they won't actually let me start it until the next bill starts. If I want more high-speed date right now, I literally cannot get it. There is no way for me to not be at 128kbps for the next two days, and I've already been doing it for two days.

If their plan is to get me to pay for a higher tier plan...it's almost working. The next highest plan is like $50 more a month, though.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have a thing where you pay $10 for an extra couple GB for that month? That really sucks.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I too feel the struggle of data limits OP. Honestly when I move out of my parents' place, I plan on dropping Verizon to save some dough.

Anyone know of a good carrier that has good amounts of hotspot data for a reasonable price? I was thinking of going with one of T-Mobile's off-shoots, like Mint.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That is weird, though, you'd think they'd want to be able to charge you more right away.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
128, lucky you, I get 32kbps on Vodafone in Germany, but then again caps in Germany suck big time and yes we have those fast lanes (well, passes, where you get a package of apps with unlimited data and shit)

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's even worse in Canada. I pay close to $65 (taxes in) for 4GB, and once that's gone I have nothing unless I pay $7 for 100MB, $12 for 300MB, or $22 for 1GB. (Koodo) This is just one line BYOD - I have no idea how much a family would pay here.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
9GB for a month!? I burn through almost double that daily just watching Youtube videos on my phone.
I knew datacaps in some countries were bad but not THIS bad. Are you guys able to even use Netflix there?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
bandwith caps on mobile and in the home are almost entirely pointless these days anyway
yes there are some reasons where limiting users can be beneficial in some areas during some hours, but it's 99% of the time a load of artificial bullshit to get more money out of you.

make badnwith caps illegal.

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ I pay £14/m for 12GB + Tethering, and that's not even the best deal I could be on. The USA telecoms industry is an absolute robbery.

OP
OP
Fleet of Foot

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Yikes, does that include a phone subsidy?

I get 10GB per month for 60 dollars Canadian on a bring your own device plan
it's not so much that I'm paying $130 for 9GB. It's more because of how many phones there are on the plan. If I had another kid and added another line, the same 9GB would cost more because I'd be paying for another phone to be on the plan. What a crock.

I got a new phone this month. I bought it through Apple directly. AT&T had nothing to do with the purchase at all. But they arbitrarily added a $30 "new device fee" onto my AT&T bill. Unbelievable. Just simply because they could.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
78d7b35736bc0b8a82a362906b2e0cb7.gif

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I would give the a call, you maybe on a older plan.

I had a sprint 2 line service that I was paying $130ish for 1gb plan for 6-7 years, I called them up to see how much the unlimited plan was, and they said the unlimited plan is $85 for two lines. WTF. No contract either.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
You should consider signing up for a prepaid service. AT&T has one if you want. Its cheaper with multi-line discounts, you can even get unlimited.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
Reading all of the above is just awful, I have unlimited fiber 800/800 Mbit, costs 30 eur, also local streaming app for movies and TV series included (includes HBO content), and unlimited phone data for like 11 eur a month, from which I can use like 5 or more gb now per month outside my country across Europe without any extra charge.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
In Canada. I messed up this month and tethered and had a bunch of data used up quickly.

I normally pay $50 for 10GB. I had to pay an extra $60 for another 6GB to stay under. Otherwise I would have paid exorbitant amounts.

The most ridiculous thing is that I'm in Fido and I can use "5 free hours of data per month". Basically, 5 times per month, I can activate a free hour of data and go HAM. In each of those hours, I can download 10's of GBs. It really goes to show how ridiculous and arbitrary are the data caps.

Oct 26, 2017

Whoops, sorry, it's actually a little over £15 because of inflation (They tend to do that every year). I'm up for renewal though so I'll be able to bump it back down fairly soon.

ECiuAAB.png

Also includes unlimited usage of Netflix + Snapchat (And Deezer + Apple Music, if that's your kind of thing).

SIM only, obviously. Bought my phone myself.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I found out the other day I could "upgrade" my Sim Only plan.

Should I stick with my £25.50 20GB/40 Mbps plan or "upgrade" and have unlimited data but only 10 Mbps for £26?

The hit from 40 down to 10 just doesn't seem worth it, I'm conflicted.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. With Verizon if you go over then they charge you like $15 or something.

OP
OP
Fleet of Foot

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Just curious, how is high-speed coverage in Europe? At least in the US, coverage is pretty good. I'm on LTE pretty much everywhere. You in Europe are paying so much less, is your coverage bad?

I'm trying to find some reason why this is so expensive in the US...

Oct 26, 2017
I found out the other day I could "upgrade" my Sim Only plan.

Should I stick with my £25.50 20GB/40 Mbps plan or "upgrade" and have unlimited data but only 10 Mbps for £26?

The hit from 40 down to 10 just doesn't seem worth it, I'm conflicted.

What's your usage? Do you regularly hit 20? Also What network is that with?

Personally, if you're content where you are I'd hold off until there's widespread 5G rollout and then see what the networks are saying. Might be some more beneficial deals around the corner.

Just curious, how is high-speed coverage in Europe? At least in the US, coverage is pretty good. I'm on LTE pretty much everywhere. You in Europe are paying so much less, is your coverage bad?

In the UK it's pretty decent for 4G coverage in the majority of towns and cities. Occasionally you'll get bad signal in an area with a lot of old, stone buildings or out in the countryside (Or when travelling on a train) but for the most part I always have decent signal.

The US is so bad because you've only got a few providers with little incentive to compete against each other. It's effectively an Oligopoly.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia

I have been all over Europe, it is fine, but I am also horrified to read some posters above from the UK that pay so much for paltry 15 gb per month or so.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only got 4GB LTE and I pay 9€ a month. But I never use more than 1GB because I use Wifi at home, work, etc. No, idea how people use that much data on the go. YouTube videos maybe?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
What's your usage? Do you regularly hit 20? Also What network is that with?

Personally, if you're content where you are I'd hold off until there's widespread 5G rollout and then see what the networks are saying. Might be some more beneficial deals around the corner.
I've usually got around 6GB of data left and that's after YT, Twitter, Reddit, etc. And I'm with Vodafone, have been since I was 15!

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
It's even worse in Canada. I pay close to $65 (taxes in) for 4GB, and once that's gone I have nothing unless I pay $7 for 100MB, $12 for 300MB, or $22 for 1GB. (Koodo) This is just one line BYOD - I have no idea how much a family would pay here.

I am paying $35 for 3GB on Koodo, you need to call their CS and renegotiate my dude.
Capture.jpg

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly, I'd rather have "drop you to super slow speed" than "cut you off and offer data for a stupid price".

I pay $154 canadian for two BYOD, 6 gb data, unlimited call/text plans. ($60 for 6gb plans) I usually never go over that, but last month I did.. and not having any data for half the month was brutal.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I recently switched to Verizon Prepaid. 3 lines, each line has 6GB. Total monthly: $85 (taxes, fees and everything else included). I was paying $135 to T-Mobile. Saving $50/month feels good. But I miss the unlimited data. I can't stream Netflix on the go anymore.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, AT&T is like that. I used to go over all the time but I just started limiting how much I was on my phone when I wasn't connected to wi-fi and that fixed the problem right up. I understand that's a little harder to do when you have a whole family using it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I prefer drip speed vs price gouging. I think most plans here in Canada will still charge you $10 for each 100MB (or something equally absurd) you go over. Or, if you do it before going over you can get a slight discount (by, basically, upgrading your plan for the remainder of the month).

I still have an old Wind/Freedom plan, $40 for 5GB, speed throttled after that. Though I avoid videos - games and music generally only push me to around 4GB a month.

I don't think any providers in Canada still do family plans, either.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Just switch to T-Mobile and that's it. I used to have ATnT and left for the very same reason. Fuck that shit. Even though now I'm on Verizon which is expensive, I left T-mob only because it was time to get that sweet preorder Buy One get S10e free offer (with the free galaxy earbuds) when Samsung S10 came out, otherwise I would've stayed at T-mobile.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I get 4G almost everywhere where I live but sometimes dip to 3G if I'm out and about (although I live in remote-ish Scotland so that's not unexpected!). I get 25gb for £15 p/m.