• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
"Evil" is silly, but let's not be so profoundly naive as to pretend it's anything but a perfectly calculated PR move that they know Epic will never agree with (especially considering a) Epic would stand to lose money if "100% of revenue" was donated, and b) it would settle a precedent for other indie devs to do the same). Still, indie games need all the exposure they can get, this back and forth is quite amusing to watch, and it's sparking a lot of conversation about Epic's practices.
A) He's donating 100% of his own revenue, not Epics who would still get their cut
B) A precedent where a small dev can get on EGS without an exclusivity deal! How is this a bad thing for anyone involved, including Epic?!

This is a scenario where the worst that could happen is putting some pressure on Epic to start treating small developers better and maybe not prevent them from selling their games on EGS unless they cave in for exclusivity. And at its best, Epic actually do live up to their words and do something that would really help a lot of small developers while some charity get some free money... Like, the most negative thing that could come out of all this is some multi billions company getting bad press for the way they treat developers(which is also good, really), yet you, and some others are trying to somehow paint this as something bad.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No. And EGS isn't forcing games to be EGS only. Valve assumes costs involved with Steamwork features that, once integrated, make games defacto exclusives. Devs save on cost in exchange for tying their game to Steam. EGS just writes checks instead. Either method echanges financial benefits for exclusivity.

TIL that the basic tenets of supply and demand are akin to contractual exclusivity clauses.

There's literally nothing that Steam is doing that you don't see in most competitive markets throughout the world. Saying they're "forcing developers to choose them" by offering up a better service is like saying your regular hairdresser is forcing haircuts on you by making your hair look the best.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A) He's donating 100% of his own revenue, not Epics who would still get their cut

That's not really what "revenue" means. They may have actually meant "profit", or they might have not. It's entirely academic as they're not actually donating anything since it's not happening anyway.

I find it hard to praise theoretical philatropy conditional on impossible conditions, but I'll gladly donate $1000 to the charity of your choice if you manage to convince me of how admirable that is.

B) A precedent where a small dev can get on EGS without an exclusivity deal! How is this a bad thing for anyone involved, including Epic?!

Is this a) actually asking me for Epic's reasons, b) the start of a tangential discussion about these reasons, or c) a clumsy attempt to bait me into seeming aligned with Epic when I provide them? I find it hard you can't figure out a), and I'm obviously not interested in b) or c).

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
and you know what FUCK the musicians who do charity performances
why they gotta hold the venue owners hostage with that shit
'oh but we need the money from the charity performance sales to have money to donate to charity hurr"
if ur gonna donate, just donate, leave others out of it with your militarized assault charity

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
'oh but we need the money from the charity performance sales to have money to donate to charity hurr"
if ur gonna donate, just donate, leave others out of it with your militarized assault charity
If we're not careful we'll be entering Charity MAD.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to praise theoretical philatropy conditional on impossible conditions, but I'll gladly donate $1000 to the charity of your choice if you manage to convince me of how admirable that is.

Epic agreeing to sell a game is an impossible condition?

All they have to do is agree, the same way they agree to larger publishers that aren't playing along with their exclusivity game.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering how this thread got so long, but I see it entered some insane territory. Anyway, people realise Darq is not currently exclusive to Steam, right? It's on gog right now, for example.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I was wondering how this thread got so long, but I see it entered some insane territory. Anyway, people realise Darq is not currently exclusive to Steam, right? It's on gog right now, for example.
Shhh, to the EGS converts GOG isn't "significant" enough to talk about.

Perhaps the only positive development out of the whole EGS fiasco is that more publishers are announcing their games will also release on GOG after the exclusivity is up. Ashen and Sinking City are both GOG-bound now, and I'm actually hoping 505 will do the same for Control, since they don't seem to have a problem with GOG in general.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the only positive development out of the whole EGS fiasco is that more publishers are announcing their games will also release on GOG after the exclusivity is up. Ashen and Sinking City are both GOG-bound now, and I'm actually hoping 505 will do the same for Control, since they don't seem to have a problem with GOG in general.

Glad to hear these games are GoG bound. The more options the better, and I seriously doubt they were selling well being trapped on EGS.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Do these musicians go to twitter and @ them asking if they are allowed to perform there expecting the audience and followers to cheer for them?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shhh, to the EGS converts GOG isn't "significant" enough to talk about.

The more games on GOG the better, it's nice to see those are all coming to GOG. I hope all the EGS exclusive games end up there eventually.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
User Banned (1 week): drive-by posting, history of similar infractions
Why make the deal with Epic ic you don't want the exclusivity? Seems kind of two faced.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Welp, we have our new talking point deflection. Weaponizing Charities. This is going to be an interesting one to see the through line for. Poor Billionaire Timmy. Being provoked by an independent developer.

(Props to the soulless PR people who came up with that. It's catchy. They earned their pay.)
Pro billionaire. Anti developer

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
A corporation accepting a deal where they would only stand to lose money, from someone that's been publicly critical of them? I would definitely not bet my savings on that. :D

The money that is promised to charity will come from the developer's revenue not Epic's.
But even so, Epic is losing far bigger amounts of money from their moneyhats and so but also makes a lot. It will not be a live or die situation even if they were to contribute their share of sales.

It's charity. Unarmed as any charity is.

OP
OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A corporation accepting a deal where they would only stand to lose money, from someone that's been publicly critical of them? I would definitely not bet my savings on that. :D

But he wasn't "publicly critical of them". He just stated why he couldn't accept the deal, and that he wished that smaller devs could get the same kind of treatment as bigger ones when it comes to EGS releases (namely, the ability to ship a game on both EGS and Steam). There was nothing critical about it.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
9I91fBD.png

Do these musicians go to twitter and @ them asking if they are allowed to perform there expecting the audience and followers to cheer for them?
thankfully venue's dont ask for smaller bands to go exclusive to their locations for a year or kick rocks while letting some Headliners come and go as they please (Money is money after all, but only for SOME bands) and say its all for the good of the little indie bands they love so much who have it so hard

Jun 7, 2018

Do venues go on twitter and @ musicians who chose not to play there due to not wanting an exclusivity deal, and in the process piggyback the artist's current good press, success and hard work to promote the venue's own business?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, you guys don't really read what I post, right?

In simpler terms: weaponzing charity=BAD

Donating to charity wihtout using it as a weapon=GOOD.

Got it? Do you disagree with this? Is this okay because it hits a target you don't like? What does that say about you as a person?

I disagree with the whole premise that the dev is "weaponizing charity". Epic is being given a chance to look good with only the need to treat an indie dev like they do the big guys (drop the exclusivity clause) and prove they "love devs" like they always say they do. They still take their 12% and the dev donates his revenue from EGS to charity. I see a clever marketing move, no weaponization of any sort. All you are doing is trying to use aggressive terms to try to paint the dev in a negative light.

OP
OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fair point, assuming that's what he meant (it would be nice if someone asked him to clarify). It would still open the possibility for any other dev to do the same (which, don't get me wrong, would be awesome, but I don't think Epic would count that as a win).

Now that this point has been clarified, could you show me receipts on the dev criticizing Epic? ("A corporation accepting a deal where they would only stand to lose money, from someone that's been publicly critical of them?")

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
That's not really what "revenue" means. They may have actually meant "profit", or they might have not. It's entirely academic as they're not actually donating anything since it's not happening anyway.

From his tweet:
I'll donate 100% of my EGS revenue to a charity.
His EGS revenue doesn't include Epic's share of the sale, that's not part of "his" revenue, there really is no room to interrupt this as anything other than exactly this!

Imagine if your actually spent as much time trying to understand his tweet, as you did coming up with that disingenuous condition as an example, which hilariously is nothing like the offer he's making!

I wouldn't even bother trying to decipher what you're trying to say in the rest of that post...

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
The DARQ dev is only employing Tim's own tactics. Remember when Sweeney was, uh, weaponizing Epic's lower cut and exclusivity deals by pretending to wanting to end his shady business strategy as soon as Valve lowers their cut? While knowing full well it won't happen because it's not sustainable without significant cross-subsidization if your store is more advanced than a wet paper bag. But now a small dev challenging a billionaire? Oh no, we can't have that. it's against the rules, pls one man game developer, stay professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.