• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is fun may need popcorn

but what is Darq

Recently released indie game. Epic said they'd only host it on EGS if it was exclusive, dev refused and posted the email on Twitter along with an explanation about why they didn't take the deal. Reactions to the deal-refusal and the posting of the email (even in the absence of an NDA) were mixed.

Nov 8, 2017
My views would probably brand me an EGS defender for many folks here, but this demand for exclusives or bust is so insanely hostile to indies and I hate it so much I want to scream. It's like they challenged themselves to come up with something worse than the xbox parity clause.

It's fucking horseshit and Sweeny has no leg to stand on pretending Epic is trying to help out indies as long as they stick by it.

Good on the dev for making a public stand here.

I understand people who aren't fussed by EGS stuff, but the takes that were really alien to me were the ones being very concerned by how "unprofessional", "cynical" etc the Darq devs were by speaking publicly on this issue. Which included people like J Schreier.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people upset about tims tweet in the op? I read it over several times and I legitimately can't figure it out.
Its more pointing out the hypocrisy of saying"Yes I want you to be as successful as possible" whilst limiting your options to be successful. It shows an inherit flaw in EGS' stance as pro developer.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It deserves success" but then saying they wanted it exclusively. Wouldn't it be even more successful if it was available on more than one store?

He was explaining in hindsight why they made the exclusivity offer to begin with. Egs guarantees success with these offers.

As of this writing, Darq has 460 reviews on Steam, which gives me an idea of about how many copies it has sold. This tells me that being a twitter hero doesn't always translate to sales, and maybe taking the deal would have been far more lucrative

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Recently released indie game. Epic said they'd only host it on EGS if it was exclusive, dev refused and posted the email on Twitter along with an explanation about why they didn't take the deal.

Ah I see, I honestly think the devs are enjoying the publicity

we like seeing such info but is it ok to just reveal private agreement emails?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He was explaining in hindsight why they made the exclusivity offer to begin with. Egs guarantees success with these offers.
Then he pretty much looses nothing now by adding the game onto EGS. This will still add to the success of the game and will fufil the EGS mission of helping indies. Of coarse he wont..cause reasons......but its good for the industry.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Its not bandwidth. It's that their shitty store can't add more than one game at a time.

Though I don't get it, it makes them look utterly incompetent, having a content management system that broken.
I was to lazy to search for the article, but here is the quote where they mention it being a bandwidth problem.

Epic representative told Kotaku that "We work with developers and publishers on a one-on-one basis and every situation is unique. We have a number of games from independent developers that are exclusive to our store, as well as a number of games that are available on other digital storefronts, including Steam. We have very limited release bandwidth and are definitely prioritizing games with opportunities for exclusivity and therefore significant Epic dev/marketing assistance. We consider many other factors as well, so there is no set formula."

Once again, smells like BS excuse. It was Epic that contacted the developer to get his game in the store, but just because he dosent want to be exclusive to Epic, now all of a sudden, sorry, we got no bandwidth for you. :(

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have no stakes on the EGS steam war but i cant see an issue in this
Epic refuses nothing changes
Epic accepts a charity gets profit
What exactly is the issue here?

"Enjoying publicity" is such an outdated critique to this day and age that i'd rather not humour it. There are several ways to get publicity and this is one of the most harmless and possibly profitable (for charities) ways of doing it so again, whats the issue?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then he pretty much looses nothing now by adding the game onto EGS. This will still add to the success of the game and will fufil the EGS mission of helping indies. Of coarse he wont..cause reasons......but its good for the industry.

I don't know that he won't. Have they replied to his public offer?

If I was EGS, though, I wouldn't sign him -- Not because of exclusivity, but because he burned the bridge by using their private email offer to dunk on them publicly for PR. It appears it didn't pan out.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Why are people upset about tims tweet in the op? I read it over several times and I legitimately can't figure it out.
1324596542030_7713053.png

Nov 8, 2017
I was to lazy to search for the article, but here is the quote where they mention it being a bandwidth problem.

Once again, smells like BS excuse. It was Epic that contacted the developer to get his game in the store, but just because he dosent want to be exclusive to Epic, now all of a sudden, sorry, we got no bandwidth for you. :(

Release bandwidth meaning "capacity to handle uploading it and releasing it". But yeah it is a laughable thing. What they really mean is they don't think the game is important enough to worry about it unless it is exclusive (which they would care about because it would give them a competitive advantage).

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ah I see, I honestly think the devs are enjoying the publicity

we like seeing such info but is it ok to just reveal private agreement emails?

The conversation was very much in the vein of "Ok, there's nothing legally binding preventing them from showing the email but was it professional?". Being relatively outspoken against EGS was also seen by some as implicitly condoning harassment of devs who did take the deal, but personally I found their explanation was pretty civil and it didn't rule out publishing on EGS in the future.

There was also stuff about some games journalists accusing the dev of trying to be a "martyr" but I don't know how that ended up.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
As of this writing, Darq has 460 reviews on Steam, which gives me an idea of about how many copies it has sold. This tells me that being a twitter hero doesn't always translate to sales, and maybe taking the deal would have been far more lucrative

about how many copies do you think its sold?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

If I was EGS, though, I wouldn't sign him -- Not because of exclusivity, but because he burned the bridge by using their private email offer to dunk on them publicly for PR. It appears it didn't pan out.
he's happy with his sales

but you should make sure to let him no actually he's wrong and you obviously know better

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
All of this talk about burning bridges and unprofessionalism is very odd considering we have seen pro-EGS developers basically do the reverse of this, defending EGS and there was none of this rhetoric. Only until it exploded with the oblets devs issue that it has been discussed.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
The conversation was very much in the vein of "Ok, there's nothing legally binding preventing them from showing the email but was it professional?". Being relatively outspoken against EGS was also seen by some as implicitly condoning harassment of devs who did take the deal, but personally I found their explanation was pretty civil and it didn't rule out publishing on EGS in the future.

There was also stuff about some games journalists accusing the dev of trying to be a "martyr" but I don't know how that ended up.

Personally I don't think I would have ever heard of this game or looked at it if wasn't for this story.

Game could be great or bad, regardless I'm just stating an observation

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he's happy with his sales

but you should make sure to let him no actually he's wrong and you obviously know better

I didn't say whether he was happy or not, please don't suggest that I did say that, because I didn't. I won't be so bold as to suggest I know what numbers would make anyone happy, or maybe some people don't value money at all -- and that could very well be why he turned it down. I can say that I strongly believe he would have made a lot more from an EGS deal, though.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say whether he was happy or not, please don't suggest that I did say that, because I didn't. I can say that I strongly believe he would have made a lot more from an EGS deal.

And the developer believes he would have made even more with steam + EGS sales.

And there is this wierd thing that we should accept that taking an EGS deal is fine for developers the believe they need the money, but people the opposite cannot be true, and we have the play "lets hope you fail" game for developers that dont take the deal. Its pretty hypocritical of this forum and a bit disturbing.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not publicly. If Epic choose to allow the game onto the store it would actually be for the better IMO as they would still be helping indies whilst allowing them to reach the widest audience. Of coarse this would run contrary to their exclusive strategy so thats highly unlikely.

It did pan out though,the game was relatively successful according to the dev himself. So at this point, its more a pr battle which i might remind you our boy Tim has been playing for a very long time, so its nice to see a dev actually call him out on his help the devs stance.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I didn't say whether he was happy or not, please don't suggest that I did say that, because I didn't. I won't be so bold as to suggest I know what numbers would make anyone happy, or maybe some people don't value money at all -- and that could very well be why he turned it down. I can say that I strongly believe he would have made a lot more from an EGS deal, though.
how much did they offer him?
exactly how much has he sold?

Oct 31, 2017
User banned: (1 month) antagonizing other posters, history of previous infractions and similar actions
Holy shit, 100% of the revenues is a pretty generous offer.
At 20$ per copy for a multiplatform on the EGS that could make up to 400-500$!
And it would be a great chance for Hobbs, Jobbs and Bronson Lee to contribute to a charity, too.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

The dev explained very clearly why they turned it down.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Using reviews is a poor way of estimating sales. I've bought hundreds of games and I've left maybe two reviews, and that's because it was a thing for a badge

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how much did they offer him?
exactly how much has he sold?

I've observed that a certain % of users who buy a game on steam review it on steam. IIRC I determined at one point it was about 10% but it could be bit lower. It's obviously not a science, and there are obviously factors that can make that number different -- for instance, people inverse review bombing him because he's an anti EGS champion. That probably made the number higher.

I can't say it with scientific certainty, but, again, it's just my strong belief that an EGS deal would have been more lucrative financially.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017

It's in the trending section on steam it can't be doing that bad.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Creating goodwill with your audience for future products cannot be quantified, but it's essential for continued success.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I've observed that somewhere around 3% of users who buy a game on steam review it on steam. That's not a science, though, and there are obviously factors that can make that number different -- for instance, people inverse review bombing him because he's an anti EGS champion. That probably made the number a lot higher.

I can't say it with scientific certainty, but, again, it's just my strong belief that an EGS deal would have been more lucrative financially.
Quick cash isn't lucrative perse if you cant build a brand with it. You need a bigger reach for that and other things like respect to be taken serious. If EGS really wants the best for the devs it buys out then it should want that long term succes for them. So no pettyness towards steam would be a good thing

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Title has a mistake in it. He pledges 100% of EGS revenue, not profit.

Important distinction, since revenue = whatever the game sells for on EGS. Profit = revenue less costs.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"EGS exclusives are good because we treat Developers better. Now do what we say or we will ban you from our store"
You can't make this shit up.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017

Ignoring your flawed assumptions, do any of you people realize that some developers make games because they want as many people as possible to play them, building an actual audience, and not just to get paid X amount of money?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Tim Sweeney using that winky face emoji after talking about knowing it would be a success, hence why they wanted exclusivity, is the very reason I refuse to purchase from EGS, his attitude and his companies attitude towards all of this is disgraceful imo.

On one hand he tries to take the moral high ground by claiming he cares about developers and wants healthy competition but then on the other hand behaves in such a childish and trollish manner on his personal twitter and every business move he makes with the store contradicts what he claims!

He has no shame and has made it abundantly clear at this point with his actions that all he wishes to do is snatch games from Steam and make Epic the very thing he claims to dislike about Steam, a monopoly (even though Steam isn't a monopoly whatsoever) this has nothing to do with anything else and he is not helping indie devs with his exclusionary deals either.

I don't like speaking this way but I really feel like him and his company are trying to exploit consumers and developers with the way he is conducting business, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.