• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
So to get it out of the way:

Darksiders Genesis

Is a smaller scale prequel game that Airship Syndicate wanted to do. They are The original Darksiders creators from Vigil (Joe Mad and team) and wanted to come back to the Franchise, but they have a small team so they asked the publisher if they could do a smaller scale game... that game is Darksiders Genesis.

They make it clear this is NOT the 4th Mainline game (as far as Wars Horsemen Saga is concerned)

And Looking at it now, id be willing to bet the Final Chapter of the Horsemen Saga will absolutely be called Darksiders Revelation...

(My mock up... but lets be real... this is 100% gonna be the title right? Lol)
WJd49p9.jpg

You dont make a series based on the book of revelation, then call the prequel "Genesis" if youre not planning on Using the subtitle "Revelation" for your final chapter. Lol.

Are you looking for a full on Strife Story for the last game? 3rd person shooter rpg? Character action like DMC with more gun-kata? Or a larger scale DS Genesis with 4-player co-op (double down on Diablo III style?)

Or do you want a 4th game telling strifes story during the apocalypse and have a completely new game AFTER that wrapping up the saga?

Ill be honest, as a Joe Madureira fan, ive loved all the DS games so far, and i love what theyve shown of Genesis...

Personally id love for Strife to get his own full game for DS4... make it similar to DS2 and have his attacks basically gun-kata (or be able to switch between TPS cover and awesome melee, (Vanquish style? Lol) i dunno... im just really excited the direction the games can go.

12OmmKu.png

OP
OP
SomaXD

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
doh, can a mod fix the title, i missed the r on Darksiders.

(Edit: Thanks!)

Last edited:

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope for the 4th title to be focused on Strife and the 5th to properly follow-up the first game.
I doubt the series would end in there, but they can finish the current arc at least.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man .. I just want a continuation after DS1's ending.

Just imagine it .. a 4 player optionally co-op game with each player controlling a different horseman, wrecking shit and making both heaven and hell pay.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man .. I just want a continuation after DS1's ending.

Just imagine it .. a 4 player optionally co-op game with each player controlling a different horseman, wrecking shit and making both heaven and hell pay.
This is another prequal to that?? Oh man.

This makes me wonder if Nordic have bigger plans for the series later.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Story wise, I wouldn't mind a mainline game being set shortly after the end of DS1.

The reunion happened, something went down, it all went sideways. We're with Strife (or maybe all four horsement separated?) working towards finding one another to resolve it all.

You might get flashbacks or tidbits of what went down as you progress, culminating in a four horsemen team up.

The issue is, DS1 set up such a climactic event, taking a game immediately after it doesn;t tie in well with the explorative nature of the games, which is one of the reasons they keep hitting prequel territory.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, I thought gun fire was basically Vigil?

So vigil basically became two devs?
Not every Vigil dev went to the same place. Several of them went to Retro Studios, some went to Certain Affinity. Gunfire itself was formed from the remnants of Crytek USA, which was where David L. Adams went. Airship Syndicate was Vigil's other co-founder, Joe Maduriera.

OP
OP
SomaXD

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up, I thought gun fire was basically Vigil?

So vigil basically became two devs?

Correct.

Joe Madureira was the creative director and one of the founders of vigil, he created Airship Syndicate with a bunch of other Vigil members, the other vigil devs formed Gunfire. But you cant REALLY have Darksiders without Joe Madureira.

Not every Vigil dev went to the same place. Several of them went to Retro Studios, some went to Certain Affinity. Gunfire itself was formed from the remnants of Crytek USA, which was where David L. Adams went. Airship Syndicate was Vigil's other co-founder, Joe Maduriera.

Also correct.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
There will be 7 new Darksiders games until 2030 and every single one of them will be a prequel to the one before, until you finally play a microbe during the first seconds of the universe in what is then revealed to be a decades long ARG for Spore 2. Can't wait!

Last edited:

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
There will be 7 new Darksiders games until 2030 and every single one of them will be a prequel to the one before, until you finally play a microbe during the first seconds of the universe in what is then revealed to be a decade long ARG for Spore 2. Can't wait!

I laughed way too much.

Anyway, had no idea it was Madureira working on Genesis. I hope he'll get to work on the sequel, I really enjoy Darksiders' art. Definitely needs to be about the 4 characters, let's consider Genesis the Strife game.

Still a shame about THQ, I'd rather not buy Day 1 the games they publish.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Having spoken to the devs and seeing this game at E3, I did not get the sense that Darksiders 4, or whatever the endgame is for this series, would come from them? Hope to eventually be proven wrong about that, but we'll see.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I laughed way too much.

As someone who absolutely loved Darksiders 1 and was very excited about the Cliffhanger, every new Darksiders announcement is a fun, little rollercoaster of emotions by itself.

Would love for them to stop making each game in the series worse than the one before, though!

OP
OP
SomaXD

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Having spoken to the devs and seeing this game at E3, I did not get the sense that Darksiders 4, or whatever the endgame is for this series, would come from them? Hope to eventually be proven wrong about that, but we'll see.

Yeah, if the final chapter is not done by Airship, i really hope Joe provides at least provides a bit more creative design than he did for DS3. I know he helped refine Fury for Gunfire, but the overall moster designs felt off by not having him.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Correct.

Joe Madureira was the creative director and one of the founders of vigil, he created Airship Syndicate with a bunch of other Vigil members, the other vigil devs formed Gunfire. But you cant REALLY have Darksiders without Joe Madureira.

Also correct.

Fascinating. And here I originally wrote off Genesis as some kind of cash-in by THQ Nordic.

Be neat if this does well and both devs could somehow collaborate on a Darksiders IV.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA

Darksiders IV: Strife and the final game which will be the "true" continuation/conclusion of Darksiders I: War will come from Gunfire Games, not Airship Studios.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They should probably get Cureton back for combat if they plan to make another 3D action game.
Seems like he is no longer at Riot, rather did a stint at CrystalD on Avengers and is now self employed.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Darksiders 4 should be Strife's game. 3rd person shooter, Vanquish style

And then we can have a 5th game with all the horsemen.

OP
OP
SomaXD

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders 4 should be Strife's game. 3rd person shooter, Vanquish style

And then we can have a 5th game with all the horsemen.

Man, "Vanquish but Darksiders" really does sound effing awesome for a Strife game.

The one difference id make is instead of punching like this... he would be "punching" (and firing) with his guns

0Chjg.gif

With some Gungrave shooting maneuvers
PalatableCreativeIrishwolfhound.gif

And 100% this madness
ShoddyFarBurro-size_restricted.gif