• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
You're only sprinting to get between areas faster, not in combat, it was never bothersome to me.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Just defeated Lust (has to be the best boss fight so far), got 3/4 hollows, to those who have finished it, am I far from
getting the Stasis Hollow, is it after Gluttony?

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone know how to get this treasure? Under the church.

hNW8JQr.png

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Envy! Yay!

Gotta be more careful about where/how I dodge, I kept dodging through them and getting hit by their backswing. But the platforming is what really killed me. Just glad that's done for now, lol.

Met Jones. Cool guy. Ulthane is a little clumsily written here, though I did like Fury's commentary on him in the elevator down.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Im pretty far in now, for the life of me I cant understand the 4/10 reviews. Did they finish the game? Either way Im having a blast, please keep making these games gunfire/THQ. Brave experimenting with different genres and for the most part it really works.

I wasnt convinced after the first few hours but its worth sticking with it.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Started playing this today. Pleasantly surprised so far - the budget is pretty evident but it feels like a linear Souls game so far. Just wish the controls were more Souls-like (RB/R1 to melee, R3 to lock on), even if it would bring tradition from previous Darksiders games.
It's actually not really linear. After Wrath you can tackle the next three or four bosses in any order you want, not to mention a couple of completely optional bosses and plenty of optional spaces that open up as you get more powers. The game just has a pretty solid direct path if you want to hit all the high notes in the shortest distance, so it might seem like there's only one intended way.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Anyone know how to get this treasure? Under the church.

hNW8JQr.png

Also, how the hell do you get to the other side of this bridge?

ReUPFZO.png

Both of those locations can be entered late after the Depths, after getting Stasis. You should be able to enter the other side of the Hollows from the Crossroads in Haven, though. You should only need Force. There's a crawlspace in the crossroads you need to glide up a tornado to get to (not the one leading to The Scar, another one), and you end up in a chamber with a hole blocked by a purple cluster thing you have to smash. At least I think I have that right. Then basically theres only a small other area of the hollows with one Vulgrim point that connects via that bridge.

Nov 3, 2017
Just lost a ton of progress after a crash. It put me back before a mini-boss and a bunch of exploration, including a stop at Vulgrim (WHICH SHOULD TRIGGER A SAVE, COME ON!) Dismal and infuriating.

Nov 13, 2017
Both of those locations can be entered late after the Depths, after getting Stasis. You should be able to enter the other side of the Hollows from the Crossroads in Haven, though. You should only need Force. There's a crawlspace in the crossroads you need to glide up a tornado to get to (not the one leading to The Scar, another one), and you end up in a chamber with a hole blocked by a purple cluster thing you have to smash. At least I think I have that right. Then basically theres only a small other area of the hollows with one Vulgrim point that connects via that bridge.

I got the bridge, but still can't find the other side of that gate under the church. Hate asking for something so ridiculous, but if you can be specific of how to get behind there, I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to get all the demon artifacts I can so I can upgrade this 5th enhancement and get the trophy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Just lost a ton of progress after a crash. It put me back before a mini-boss and a bunch of exploration, including a stop at Vulgrim (WHICH SHOULD TRIGGER A SAVE, COME ON!) Dismal and infuriating.

After the second crash, which was right after killing a boss before it saved, I just started exiting the game after every big event and periodically after going to Vulgrim. The game will checkpoint you on exit. No idea what the loading times are like on the consoles, but it's less than ten seconds to exit and return to the game on PC.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I just beat the game myself and, other than a bit of frustration from time to time particularly on some of the sins ( Avarice, Sloth and Gluttony in particular all seemed to have some BS attacks compared to the others), I had a great time. I was on Apocalyptic, so I died a lot to some cheapshots early on but, thanks to GMGOW mode earlier this year, I was used to that. If I had to give it a number, I'd say a solid 7.5 from me and I'm looking forward to a potential 4 and 5.

I was talking to my buddy earlier about how it was supposed to be able to be played out in a variety of ways like a metroidvania, but it seemed like at every turn, other than some areas where there were alternat paths, they were only alternate in that there were multiple abilities that could be used there, but you'd only get the other after using the one that you're supposed to have at that point anyway (a couple tornadoes right next to Ice jump walls come to mind). The order I fought them in was:
Envy, Wrath, Avarice, Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath, Pride
. As far as I can tell, that seems to be the only/intended path, so I'm curious as to what other routes people were able to take.

Also, I left off on Gluttony last night and downloaded the Beta patch before trying him again and it seemed to make things better, so if anyone is having some issues, perhaps using that will be helpful.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I got the bridge, but still can't find the other side of that gate under the church. Hate asking for something so ridiculous, but if you can be specific of how to get behind there, I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to get all the demon artifacts I can so I can upgrade this 5th enhancement and get the trophy.

Yea no problem.

From the big pool where you fight gluttony, there will be a stasis wall jump path leading up, and a door immediately to the left at the top. From there you'll be in an area where you can keep increasing in elevation, at one point you have to use Stasis to make an ice platform, and then fire jump to a high ledge, I think its the first time the game hints at having to use the two powers in order like that. Once you're at the top, turn around and take two of the whip-swings to the other side. From there, look for an area up in the corner with a bunch of that glowing moss around it. Up there is where you want.

Nov 3, 2017
After the second crash, which was right after killing a boss before it saved, I just started exiting the game after every big event and periodically after going to Vulgrim. The game will checkpoint you on exit. No idea what the loading times are like on the consoles, but it's less than ten seconds to exit and return to the game on PC.

Good to know, thanks! The first crash I had was when quitting to the menu though (also failing to save progress,) so this method will have me on edge for a while no doubt.

Nov 13, 2017
Yea no problem.

From the big pool where you fight gluttony, there will be a stasis wall jump path leading up, and a door immediately to the left at the top. From there you'll be in an area where you can keep increasing in elevation, at one point you have to use Stasis to make an ice platform, and then fire jump to a high ledge, I think its the first time the game hints at having to use the two powers in order like that. Once you're at the top, turn around and take two of the whip-swings to the other side. From there, look for an area up in the corner with a bunch of that glowing moss around it. Up there is where you want.

Thanks so much! Just got it. I could've sworn I did that, but maybe my swing didn't connect and I got frustrated the first time around. It's an angelic artifact in there, so the hunt is still on for 6 more demonic :(

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
As far as I can tell, that seems to be the only/intended path, so I'm curious as to what other routes people were able to take.
Avarice and Sloth can be done whenever you feel like. There's no real need for the storm hollow until you get to Scar. Even a lot of the cut scenes are written without the assumption that you've beaten Avarice. Lust mentions you have a flame hollow, but they don't say anything about your storm hollow if you have it. And a number of times in scenes someone mentions "all the sins that remain" instead of just saying Gluttony and Pride or whatever is accurate in the moment. Plus you can meet Pride right after you fight Wrath the first time if you want to. I never tried but it seemed like you could follow her, too, before you were actually ready to.

Also you can fight Abraxis and Lord of Hollows in either order, or not fight them at all.

I went Envy, Wrath, Sloth, Angelic Champion, Lust, Avarice, Gluttony, Abraxis, Wrath, Pride my first time. Second time I went the same order you did, + Lord of Hollows.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I think I love it. Doing the boss run to the Flame Warden is basically giving me Dark Souls feels. It's obvious that things are a little too clunky (like DS1) and the performance is awful...but that is what is giving me the Dark Souls feels!

I love Fury's character actually. She's really funny.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Avarice and Sloth can be done whenever you feel like. There's no real need for the storm hollow until you get to Scar. Even a lot of the cut scenes are written without the assumption that you've beaten Avarice. Lust mentions you have a flame hollow, but they don't say anything about your storm hollow if you have it. And a number of times in scenes someone mentions "all the sins that remain" instead of just saying Gluttony and Pride or whatever is accurate in the moment. Plus you can meet Pride right after you fight Wrath the first time if you want to. I never tried but it seemed like you could follow her, too, before you were actually ready to.

Also you can fight Abraxis and Lord of Hollows in either order, or not fight them at all.

I went Envy, Wrath, Sloth, Angelic Champion, Lust, Avarice, Gluttony, Abraxis, Wrath, Pride my first time. Second time I went the same order you did, + Lord of Hollows.
You actually don't need Storm even at Scar, it's just for the secret.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get some real performance issues, basically every new area I go into the game is freezing for like a full second every 10-20 seconds, literally unplayable. Some areas are fine such as the boss arena, but getting there I'm having to skip past the enemies and just speed run it to the boss, I skipped a chunk getting to 2 bosses but I've made a backup of my save folder just before so I can replay, fight the new enemy types I missed. I've reinstalled drivers, restarted my PC and still the same so far, it's pretty much halted my progress until I can get that sorted or see if there's a fix.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
will I get a good feel on whether or not this game is for me within the first two hours? really want to try it, thinking of buying it on steam so I have the refund option in case I don't enjoy it.

Oct 25, 2017
So, how long is the game if I neither plan to collect everything but also don't plan to just ignore everything in my path?
That's kinda the deciding factor whether I buy the game or not tbh.

From partially reading this thread it feels like it's a flawed game but with a lot of heart which is fine by me.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So, how long is the game if I neither plan to collect everything but also don't plan to just ignore everything in my path?
That's kinda the deciding factor whether I buy the game or not tbh.

From partially reading this thread it feels like it's a flawed game but with a lot of heart which is fine by me.

I've completed two playthroughs being pretty thorough, normal and Apocalyptic, and they took me 18 and 14 hours. So probably about 12-15 on a first playthrough being semi-thorough.

Oct 25, 2017
I've completed two playthroughs being pretty thorough, normal and Apocalyptic, and they took me 18 and 14 hours. So probably about 12-15 on a first playthrough being semi-thorough.
How hard is Apocalyptic?
Is it something one should try on the first playthough or is it too frustrating?
I like a good challenge but I also read the game can be a bi unfair in fights, especially the camera.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
How hard is Apocalyptic?
Is it something one should try on the first playthough or is it too frustrating?
I like a good challenge but I also read the game can be a bi unfair in fights, especially the camera.

I didn't have as much trouble on Apocalyptic as others seemed to. I thought the tighter dodge window timing was strict but fair. Oftentimes I'd dodge but not get the timing quite right, so I would avoid damage, but not trigger the time dilation / slowdown.

Hard to say though since I completed the game on a normal run beforehand, so I had learned the game already. On a first playthrough I would probably just go normal difficulty.

It seems like the new patch (beta on pc, soon everywhere else and on console afaik) will lighten the timing a fair bit on all difficulties.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
How hard is Apocalyptic?

It certainly had its moments with me where I would begrudgingly think about lowering the difficulty because I was getting so frustrated with what felt like cheap deaths, but ultimately, each win I got still felt like I was earning it, so it compelled me to keep going (especially since I'd already gotten that far on it) and I'm glad I kept going with it.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Having a really good time, after going in with somewhat muted expectations. 14h hours in, trying to be reasonably thorough, only 1 Sin to go.

While I was initially pretty disappointed with Envy and Wrath, they were more than made up by Avarice, Sloth and Lust. I really liked their designs and gimmicks. Lust in particular is probably one of my favourite bosses in the series now. Gluttony was ok, but the boss battle had some annoying parts to it.

One thing I'm wondering, The Lord of Hollows asked me to get this demon guy (Abraxis I think), way back after the Wrath fight. But with only Pride to go I feel like I've missed something somewhere. Can someone lightly spoil me as to whether he's optional, hidden away somewhere? (Scar is the only place I haven't fully explored so I'd guess he'd be there if so.)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Having a really good time, after going in with somewhat muted expectations. 14h hours in, trying to be reasonably thorough, only 1 Sin to go.

While I was initially pretty disappointed with Envy and Wrath, they were more than made up by Avarice, Sloth and Lust. I really liked their designs and gimmicks. Lust in particular is probably one of my favourite bosses in the series now. Gluttony was ok, but the boss battle had some annoying parts to it.

One thing I'm wondering, The Lord of Hollows asked me to get this demon guy (Abraxis I think), way back after the Wrath fight. But with only Pride to go I feel like I've missed something somewhere. Can someone lightly spoil me as to whether he's optional, hidden away somewhere? (Scar is the only place I haven't fully explored so I'd guess he'd be there if so.)

Your hunch is correct. Look for a tornado to glide up on in The Scar.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I ran into the first
Flame Warden
and it is just KICKING MY ASS. I took it down to Balanced to even get to it, but still, I'm just getting fuckin' destroyed lol.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I'm stuck in the game. I can't continue it has glitched out on me which is really frustrating. Maybe someone knows how to fix it. I don't know how to put spoiler tag but I'll try to hide it

**EARLY GAME ENCOUNTER SPOILERS**

Im stuck at the kraken encounter and I can't move past it. I have been hitting the eyes for the past 15 mins and nothing works. I died, restarted the game and changed areas but I still can make him lift his arm so I can continue. This game is an unfinished mess

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'm stuck in the game. I can't continue it has glitched out on me which is really frustrating. Maybe someone knows how to fix it. I don't know how to put spoiler tag but I'll try to hide it

**EARLY GAME ENCOUNTER SPOILERS**

Im stuck at the kraken encounter and I can't move past it. I have been hitting the eyes for the past 15 mins and nothing works. I died, restarted the game and changed areas but I still can make him lift his arm so I can continue. This game is an unfinished mess
Are you locking onto all of them and hitting them in one throw? That's all you need to do.

Jan 11, 2018
5 sins down. This game is so good. Really getting Metroid Prime vibes (even moreso than I already was ) when I acquired the
Force hollow... and then you can travel around on what are basically spider ball tracks.
. Awesome!

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I ran into the first
Flame Warden
and it is just KICKING MY ASS. I took it down to Balanced to even get to it, but still, I'm just getting fuckin' destroyed lol.
I just finished this. It's all dodging. Just took me time to learn the pattern. Doing the run from the bonfire was dark souls total.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this game was Souls before I bought it, and I'm hating it. I'm OK with the permadeath thing in those games because of the general oppressive atmosphere and the deliberate nature of attacking, but in a mashy action game like this I want to be running around and slashing dudes with reckless abandon and I can't do that with the penalty for death being so high. There's nothing I find more demoralizing in a game than respawning miles back upon death and having to repeat huge chunks of it.

I don't suppose there's any way to just, y'know, turn that off? I actually really like Fury so far, and I'd happily play this whole game if it just had regular checkpoints, but I'm just not going to do it with Souls-style bonfire respawning.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know this game was Souls before I bought it, and I'm hating it. I'm OK with the permadeath thing in those games because of the general oppressive atmosphere and the deliberate nature of attacking, but in a mashy action game like this I want to be running around and slashing dudes with reckless abandon and I can't do that with the penalty for death being so high. There's nothing I find more demoralizing in a game than respawning miles back upon death and having to repeat huge chunks of it.

I don't suppose there's any way to just, y'know, turn that off? I actually really like Fury so far, and I'd happily play this whole game if it just had regular checkpoints, but I'm just not going to do it with Souls-style bonfire respawning.

Honestly the best way is to probably play on the lowest difficulty setting. The game is unfortunately not as hack n slash as 1 or 2 are and you'll only really achieve a close approximation at lower difficulties.