• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gunfire Games: Darksiders 3 is being made by a small team so don't expect the production values of 2

Reviewers: k

*game releases, it looks and plays like a AA game*

Reviewers:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just finished it up and got most of the achievements, just a few grindy ones I won't bother with (Collect a million souls, etc).

Just one piece of advice, make sure you resolve the plotline between
Abraxis
and
HollowLord
before fighting Pride. Some missable stuff.

And to be honest, I don't think it's really a stretch at all to say it's like souls. A healing item that you can boost the potency of and number of uses through gameplay, red-eyed enemies that don't respawn, currency blobs that you "use", souls being both exp and currency now, glowing orb items found on corpses that you "reveal" upon picking them up, etc. The inspiration is obvious. One of the few times "It's like Souls" doesn't deserve an eyeroll, imo.

Edit: I also forgot the Adamantine items.

Last edited:

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Yup, it was really crazy. Some of the stuff other reviewers were saying as we were playing it early were so utterly confusing.
People who argue and rail against bloated, super long games with MTX all in the mix but then this comes and it's hated because it's not that...

I'm glad I'm not a crazy person and others are having a great time with it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played much of the other two games, but I know the first one was a lot like the pre-BotW Zelda games. Is this still that kind of style, or is it more of a traditional action game?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ok i need to know what reviewers are smoking cause i need some of that shit. I just met an enemy who kept me at a distance with throwing weapons. When i got close he leaped onto a ledge to avoid me. That is decent enemy ai. I had to kind of trick him by dodging and moving forward to close the distance.

This game is not bad at all.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
This game is an absolute blast! I love playing as Fury. She's my favorite horsemen now. Reviewers have gotta be crazy for giving this game such a low score.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much of the other two games, but I know the first one was a lot like the pre-BotW Zelda games. Is this still that kind of style, or is it more of a traditional action game?
Not really. The Zelda part was toned down a lot but it's not a traditional action by any means.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
... huh.

You've got my interest. That wasn't what I expected to hear at all. How is it like Metroid Prime? The exploration / traversal?

It has elements of the typical sort of metroidvania (sorry, lack of a better word) secret discovery method (triple jump to higher ledges, break new walls, etc) alongside element switching like Samus's beam elements.

Oct 26, 2017
Just as soon as I finish Red Dead Redemption 2, I'll be picking this baby up. Just deciding between my comfy couch with PS4, or uncomfy chair and powerful PC.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
... huh.

You've got my interest. That wasn't what I expected to hear at all. How is it like Metroid Prime? The exploration / traversal?
The world is just a long dungeon, there are multiple pathways to same part and secrets which lead into more secrets. You could end up doing a different boss order than most people by finding obscure entrances rather than wait for an upgrade.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It has elements of the typical sort of metroidvania (sorry, lack of a better word) secret discovery method (triple jump to higher ledges, break new walls, etc) alongside element switching like Samus's beam elements.

The world is just a long dungeon, there are multiple pathways to same part and secrets which lead into more secrets. You could end up doing a different boss order than most people by finding obscure entrances rather than wait for an upgrade.
These sound good to me. I'm not in the mood for a huge open world game, and something more focused but nonlinear sounds appealing to me. I'm watching the Giant Bomb quick look, and the game looks really nice. I think I might get this on Friday.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is some of the most fun I've had with a game this year by miles.

Next time we see a "what happened to AA games" thread, remind me to ask if they bothered supporting this.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The dodge worked fine for me on Apocalyptic. It was tight timing, sometimes I'd do a regular dodge instead of the bullet-time one, but it didn't feel broken.

I'm just going to share a couple of notes I took about possible boss order permutations. It'll be interesting to see how sequence-broken the game can get, potentially. Moderate location/boss spoilers:

You can fight Avarice as early as the first fight after the one with Wrath (I). Since you will only have the Fire Hollow though, it requires a bit of a diversion. You'll need to trek into the Bonelands (only requires Fire to get there) in order to get Salvation from the Angelic Champion, so you can enter the Hollows. Afaik, the main section of Hollows is closed off with a high switch. ((It MIGHT be possible to hit this switch without Salvation, but it still means you can fight the Angelic Champion pretty damn early)). Once into the Hollows, you can trek through the dungeon mostly unhindered, until you get access to the Museum in front of Avarice. There's a section that REALLY seems like you're supposed to have Thunder Hollow, but you can bypass it by taking a very particular angle on a whip-swing with a fire hollow jump inside the Museum.

So tldr: Avarice can be fought as early as second and as late as the last one to get Pride to open up her door.

Curious note: Normally you get Thunder Hollow after beating Sloth, and nothing from after Avarice, but if you fight Avarice first, you'll get it after him, and nothing after Sloth.

Lastly, there's nothing that forces you to head to Abraxis's arena at the end of the game. You can skip him entirely. In fact, after fighting Pride, he'll no longer be in his arena, and you've missed your chance. The earliest you can fight him is as soon as you have Stasis Hollow, which afaik requires both Lust and Gluttony to be defeated. So you can effectively do Abraxis and Wrath (II) in The Scar in either order.

There's also 5 "Chosen" minibosses that are all optional hidden away in secret areas, except maybe the last one. Sadly they are mostly just larger versions of regular enemies, so calling them bosses might be generous. They got named healthbars though.

Last edited:

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
The game is a mix of Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Darksiders and love.

Seriously, I have no idea what was up the bums of Jim and the rest of the reviewers. Must be their thumbs because this game is a blast. I can see this game having a few play thru's this winter. I think every game has a different feel due to the horseman you play as and this is no different. Really REALLY enjoying the combat, you have to play it to feel it.

I will say the dodge mechanic one needs to get warm too. Once you get it, it's pretty solid. Also, you can tell via enemy types how you would proceed in a multi-enemy fight so you do not get "cheap shotted" like some reviewers mentioned. I never felt I was at a disadvantaged yet.

Love it so far! I am getting close to my third boss, whichever that is coming up.

EDIT: playing at 1440p @ 60FPS with all graphics options high on PC. Game is stunning in its artistic way. I love the colors, especially after just completing Sunset Overdrive again with all its beautiful spread of the rainbow.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Loving it so far, just a couple hours in.

Lock-on is fucking ass, though. It's unusable on stairs and makes you super vulnerable in multiple enemy fights.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Positive impressions here are pushing me to buy the game (cancelled my preorder), how Apocalyptic difficulty guys?
Gunfire Games: Darksiders 3 is being made by a small team so don't expect the production values of 2

Reviewers: k

*game releases, it looks and plays like a AA game*

Reviewers:
I mean you still have to review it on $60 lenses even though it's made by a small team. In the end it's about the result/end product, there's no BUT unless of course it's sold cheaper

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Positive impressions here are pushing me to buy the game (cancelled my preorder), how Apocalyptic difficulty guys?

I mean you still have to review it on $60 lenses even though it's made by a small team. In the end it's about the result/end product, there's no BUT unless of course it's sold cheaper
It's extremely tough. Like harder than Deathintive without life steal. Some bosses take me like 45 mins to beat.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Is it fair though and feels rewarding after or more like spongier version? I would play that game in this difficulty since platinum haha
It's not totally fair, but it does feel rewarding. It doesn't really inflate enemies to a annoying hp, a wrath move will always do serious damage, but the damage values plus the lower dodge window creates some cheap feeling moments. It's mostly just the bosses and some big enemies(which you can usually avoid) that do that.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'm having so much fun with this game. It's kicking my teeth in because I'm a reckless shitbird, but god it's fun. I love a lot of the world design and creature design, too. Can't wait to get to play more of it later on ♥

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Got past the second boss. Game is rough rough rough in the graphics department. Framerate isn't super hot and the games colors have mostly been drab and dull.

However, the most important part, the way the game plays, is pretty fun. Combat is fast and snappy but you can't just button mash all the time. It's not perfect souls combat but it's serviceable.

Story seems like it might be cool and I can't believe they just
axed Fury's horse like that.

Jan 11, 2018
Just popped the game in for the first time and played through
Wrath
. Not sure where some of these terrible reviews are coming from. Combat and puzzles have been simple but fun. Level design is pretty damn strong so far, and it feels like a Darksiders game. Enjoying the lore from the item descriptions, and the gameplay loop is addicting and satisfying. It runs a bit choppy but I've seen worse. Can't wait to play more tomorrow. Stupid work!

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Looks like I'm a mid tier kind of guy...

Played for around 4 hours last night and enjoyed it. Running on PC (1080ti) with no hitches or crashes.

Combat is mindful, meaning button bashers will get mashed. Timing and dodges are needed.

The levelling and item systems are very soulsy- with crystals containing souls scattered around.

Checkpoints can be harsh and often are the incentive for not dying...

If they had priced this game right , straight out of the gate it would have been an instant recommend.

Definitely worth picking up and if you dont want to pay full whack and support the devs then you can always wait for a sale or shop around online.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The simple act of pulling the lock-on camera up instead of gluing it to the ground would bump this game up an entire point. I pretty much stopped locking-on all together.

For a combat tip, the (forward) dodge+main attack button is a pretty great helmsplitter that acts as a cancel for your current combo. The hit>delay>hit chain pull combo + the helm splitter is fantastic for chewing through anything before it can get a chance to swing.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
yeah reviewers are out of their mind. I just beat the 2nd boss and that cutscene was awesome.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is really confusing, can anyone just give one clear answer -- is the PC version fine without those weird things from the console reports?

No issues for me. i7 2600k and a GTX 970. Textures and AA on Epic, everything else on High, running at 1080p. Runs 60fps 90% of the time. Judder now and again but it could be the game loading off my mechanical drive.

People seem to have a really weird hate boner for this game for some reason. It's my favourite Darksiders game so far. All this talk of what frames is good for a perfect dodge blah blah blah, who cares? You play it long enough you learn when to dodge. 3 and a half hours in and I'm perfect dodging 9/10 times. I've had zero camera issues too. Just don't use lock-on if there's more than 1 enemy. It's common sense really.

Just as soon as I finish Red Dead Redemption 2, I'll be picking this baby up. Just deciding between my comfy couch with PS4, or uncomfy chair and powerful PC.

Judging by the comments from console players, I'm playing it on PC, get it on PC.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i think souls fans are gonna love this game. But its possible the bad reviews are from people who dont know the structure of souls games and are not used to the punishing difficulty. Im loving this and im a huge souls fan. This isnt just a good game its a great game!

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Most of the negative reviews I saw docked the game for performance and stability woes, especially on the consoles, and especially on the PS4, with even the PS4 Pro unable to maintain 30fps. Freezes and crashes too.

Any word on a serious patch dropping any time soon?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
I often end up loving games that review poorly with the pros and get good user reviews (see: Mad Max as an example) so I'm gonna pick this up. Thanks for the impressions!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
All the positive impressions is making me consider buying it. Hmm, either this for $38 on PC or Beat Saber for PSVR for $30... Trying to limit my game purchases until 2019, already have Smash and Persona Dancing 3-5 Amazon price glitch ordered for next week.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 4 hours of it tonight. I like the game, but I think it could use a goddamn map. Also, I really wish Fury could block at least some attacks, not just dodge everything, and the inability to cancel a move once you've started it has gotten me killed more times than I care to count. I really feel like the combat could use a little more Bayonetta.

I gotta say, though, I'm impressed with what Gunfire were able to pull off considering its budget was less than even the first game's. They're clearly a very talented team.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I expected way worse production values based on reviews but I think it looks and plays wonderfully on PC. Just beat the third boss and I'm having a blast. Fury is probably my favourite character in this series now as well.

I wish more games like this got released nowadays. Just praying that it does well enough for us to get the fourth entry. Unless the game takes a nosedive in the second half I'm struggling to understand some of the reviews. Having said that, 70-80 metacritic is far from awful.

WillyBubba

Oct 31, 2017
So uhm, is the X Enhanced patch for DS2DE that was supposed to be out before DS3 out yet? Or at least, is there a date set? Can't find anything except "before DS3".

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about it just yet. Only 1.5 hours in. While I certainly don't mind the Dark Souls influence, it's kind of hard to imagine a Darksiders entry without the dungeons/structure (my favorite part) of the previous entries. I quite liked the Zelda influence and it was one of the hallmarks that made me enjoy the franchise as much as I do. As someone who platinumed DS1 3 times and DS2 twice, I'm hoping to warm up to it a bit more as it opens up.

I'm really liking Fury so far though.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed by the reactions...

I wanted another good Zelda-like, now we got a cheap Souls-like. Bleh.

Maybe after it's patched I'll get it for cheap.

Oct 27, 2017
When i said reviewers are stricter i meant to say that post Fallout 76 every single bug and issue was going to lower reviews score a lot. That's why there is almost a 10 points difference between the Ps4 version at 66 and PC version at 73.

That said, even 73 seems harsh to me. Probably many reviewers didnt like that the game hasn't high production values, or they didn't like the more hardcore difficulty, or the complete lack of a map because they felt lost while traversing the levels.

Game has legit issues (wrong checkpoint placement) but to me it's not inferior to the previous Darksiders, especially Darksiders 1.