• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (77)
OpenCritic (79)

Mashable (no score):
Looking back on the time I spent playing, I'm feeling pretty ambivalent. Once I got a handle on what Darksiders Genesis was going for, I found myself carving out more and more time to dive back in. It's fun! But I don't think there was a single play session where I didn't at some point yell incoherently about an immensely frustrating "WHY did they do it like this?!" moment.

Nautilus (recommended, video review)

Glitched Africa (9.2/10):
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Darksider Genesis. The ending leaves much to be desired but the experience to get there was brutally fun and exciting. It takes around 12-15 hours to complete the main campaign and the arena is added content so overall, the game is a great package. I will be playing this next year on a console just to experience it all over again.

Rectify Gaming (9.2/10):
I've been loving my time with Darksiders Genesis. It has a ton of depth, the campaign is lengthy and has great character development. The superb blend of action, platforming and exploration that made the series such a standout is intact. Even better is the fantastic co-op, whether its local split screen or online, being able to play the whole game front to back with a friend is awesome.

Some of my co-op partners have never played a Darksiders game before, only hearing of it through me. This has been the perfect way to bring them into the fold, and Genesis does a great job of being an introduction into this fantastic universe.

It's easily one of my favorite games of the year.

God is a Geek (9/10):
To call Genesis a return to form would be a tad unfair to Darksiders 3. Fury's adventure had some great moments and more than earned its place in the franchise, but Genesis just feels like it's on a higher level in many regards. From the gorgeous visuals to the smooth, frenetic combat and environments that beg to be explored, the quality on display here is incredibly impressive. Despite a smattering of minor issues and a few iffy design choices, Darksiders Genesis is still a fantastic videogame, and might even be the best Darksiders game to date.

Cerealkillerz (9/10, review in German):
Darksider's Genesis turns out to be one of the biggest surprise hits of 2019. The title does not really hide in many areas behind a Diablo or the former Darksiders offshoots and offers a successful mix of the elements that are familiar from both game series and above all loves.

Boomstick Gaming (8.8/10, video review)

IGN (8.7/10):
Darksiders Genesis may lack the polish and flair of its numbered brethren, but make no mistake: this is still a Darksiders game, and it's one of the best. There's a really strong balance of great combat, clever puzzles, rich exploration, and excellent progression mechanics that keep its momentum going strong through its entire 15-hour run time. I wouldn't say I think this new style should be the new standard for the Darksiders series going forward, but I do hope this spinoff isn't a one-off because there's a ton of potential here to explore.

Hobby Consolas (86/100, review in Spanish):
He pointed to a substitute for Diablo and has ended up being a Darksiders like the first two ... but with another camera. It's fun, the protagonists have a good vibe, the story is entertaining and artistically it is a joy. If you are fans of the first two, you cannot miss it.

Cultured Vultures (8.5/10):
I ended my time with War and Strife pleasantly surprised that the switch to an isometric view didn't make Genesis less of a Darksiders game. What I expected to be a run-of-the-mill Diablo clone managed to win me over with its adherence to the same core gameplay design that the mainline games have employed to great effect in three previous outings. If you can overlook the banal dialogue and corny voice acting, you'll find an incredible game very worthy of its namesake.

TechRaptor (8.5/10):
Honestly, Darksiders Genesis is a game I'll be returning to in the future. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't something so genuinely high quality and fun. Taking the series to the world of top-down action games felt like a risk, but it pays off well, and this is a worthy prequel for anyone interested in future entires. Here's hoping Strife's solo outing is just as much fun.

Vandal (8.4/10, review in Spanish):
Darksiders Genesis has become surprisingly of our favorite installments of the series, offering us a more direct and concentrated experience, but without losing its essence. The Fight and War adventure is hilarious, let's play alone or in company, it has a generous amount of content and is as replayable as it is varied. Do not be fooled by his new camera, since this is still pure Darksiders, so we cannot do anything other than recommend it to you shortly if you are followers of these charismatic riders.

GameStar (82/100, review in German):
While I liked to play the first Darksiders part back then, I soon lost sight of the line. Because despite the interesting settings felt a lot for me simply according to Scheme F. Fortunately, Darksider's Genesis is just the opposite. Yes, the difficulty levels are rather moderately balanced, and the annoying hopping deposits could have saved the developers too.

Nevertheless, the credit side at Darksiders Genesis looks enormously lush. Not only is the War and Strife game two great protagonists who play each other's humorous balls just like that, even the flexibility of the level system with its core combinations is a big plus. An exceptionally good German synchro, the enormously pretty look and the pleasant nostalgic feeling ensures that Darksiders Genesis secures second place on my Darksiders podium.

PC Gamer (81/100):
There are plenty of reasons to keep coming back, then, to the simple but satisfying combat. It won't be long before the levels have given up all their secrets, but what remains is a solid apocalyptic grind.

MSPoweruser (8/10):
Ultimately, Darksiders Genesis feels like the next great step for a series that has, until now, often struggled a bit to find its own identity. What could have been thought of as lesser-than by moving the camera from behind to above has in no way had this effect, with Genesis still doing an excellent job of letting you defeat endless legions of devilish foes as you explore to make your horseman (horsemen, in this instance) better, stronger and more badass. Strife's ranged attacks would have been enough to solidify Genesis as a rollicking twist on the Darksiders format on its own, but the fact that you're able to do so also as War with either in solo or with a friend in co-op is the cherry on top.

Destructoid (8/10):
I came into Darksiders Genesis expecting nothing and got a fun little co-op dungeon crawler in return. Although the concept of a "Diablo spinoff for the Darksiders series" had the potential to just be a big bowl of wrong, the mad men and women at Airship Syndicate pulled it off. Long live Darksiders.

Critical Hit (8/10):
As a stopgap between Darksiders 3 and the eventual Darksiders 4, Genesis scratches an itch in an unconventional manner that deserves some appreciation for trying something new along the way. Darksiders Genesis is action and co-op play firing on all cylinders. Even if I do need to strap a pair of binoculars to my face to see what I'm doing.

The Indie Game Website (8/10):
In a year where we've had no shortage of hefty experiences demanding an endless endurance to enjoy them, it's nice to play something that reigns it in a little. Darksiders Genesis isn't reinventing the wheel, but it's the kind of refreshing hack-and-slash game that could reinvent the series and should be a breath of fresh air if you're feeling a little overwhelmed by most games these days.

GameSpew (8/10):
If you're after yet more Darksiders action and aren't put off by the change in viewpoint, which you shouldn't be, Darksiders Genesis will not disappoint. Even better, it's available a bit cheaper than usual releases. Airship Syndicate has created a game that both fans and those new to the series can jump into and have a great deal of fun. And thanks to co-op, it no longer has to be a solitary affair.

GameSkinny (8/10):
Darksiders Genesis doesn't do much to move the franchise forward other than introducing Strife as a playable horseman for the first time. However, it's still an exciting and well-made romp through the depths of Hell.

Shifting genres doesn't always work out for popular game franchises, but Darksiders has proven itself to be adaptable and deep enough to evoke the best of whichever game style it finds itself in.

Multiplayer.it (8/10, review in Italian):
If Airship Syndacate cared more about the story and better managed a too hasty ending, Darksiders Genesis could easily have become one of the best exponents of the series. In the face of a tight budget that is reflected in the low price, it is nevertheless a successful experiment with a respectable duration that may be above all an attempt to reconcile the traditional structure with the future need to bring together the four horsemen of the Apocalypse in a title only, as prophesied in the finale of the first episode almost ten years ago. By filing some snags, the Madureira team could easily take advantage of this setting to give us that final chapter that we've been waiting for so many years.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
Darksiders Genesis is a great game, fun, one of those titles that you throw and play to distract you, maybe to let off steam after a frustrating day, or to have fun with a friend. And these days there are so few games.

PC Invasion (8/10):
I think that Darksiders Genesis is going to be fairly contentious when it comes to reviews. While there is absolutely fun to be had here for both fans of the series as well as newcomers, I don't think it will be for everyone. Despite the similarities, Darksiders Genesis isn't Diablo, but it really isn't Darksiders either. Rather, it's a unique hack-and-slash experience with a solid foundation that I think is well worth the cost of admission. Drop in with a friend and add a couple of beers and you'll be in for one Hell of a time

Jeuxvideo.com (16/20, review in French):
From the angle of a nervous hack'n slash, Darksiders Genesis allows the fourth rider to make a solid entry into the saga. If the title comes up against a few finishing defects when it is released, it combines with success the frenetic action of the license and its traditional puzzles and platforms for a result ultimately closer to a Darksiders 1 than a Diablo. Endowed with a superb artistic direction, the proposal of Airship Syndicate is moreover surmounted by a cherry in the form of mode co-operation playable online or locally with two people. Enough to multiply the pleasure experienced by charring hordes of demons!

SegmentNext (7.5/10):
Darksiders Genesis may not be a new standalone Darksiders title after 3 was released. However, the steps taken with this game while Airship Syndicate experimented were pretty progressive. The positive reaction to the game should encourage a sequel soon enough, or if not, another standalone game with the same style out of inspiration with the elements in this game.

Wccftech (7.5/10):
Darksiders Genesis manages to twist the series' formula successfully, offering plenty of engaging puzzle-solving and treasure hunting, both elevated by the good mission and location design. Repetitive combat, lack of a true loot system and a few other issues prevent the game from being a must-buy for everyone, but Darksiders fans will surely enjoy their time with the game, even more if they have a friend to play with.

3DNews (7.5/10, review in Russian):
Darksiders: Genesis is both a pleasant gift for fans to brighten up their expectations before the release of the fourth part, and a great opportunity for beginners to get acquainted with the series. Despite all the external differences from the license plates of Darksiders, Genesis neatly transferred the favorite features of fans: an interesting universe, an emphasis on research and not the most sophisticated, but well-functioning combat system. The only pity is that the Riders harness too long.

Everyeye.it (7.5/10, review in Italian):
Despite being an apparently secondary spin-off in the narrative economy of the series, Darksiders Genesis is a brave and obstinate product, which does not accept to remain apart from the main chapters. After all, bringing the elements of different genres together in a surprisingly varied gameplay, the Airship Syndicate title even succeeds in overcoming the results of a third episode, perhaps marred by a too troubled development. Genesis mixes twin-stick shooter and role-playing game, hanck'n'slash and adventure: an original and interesting hybrid comes out, even bright when the level design is at its best. Unfortunately there are balancing problems that make the character development system less effective and soften the qualities of the endgame, at the same time reducing the interest in the long distance for the co-op mode. Genesis lives short of highs and lows: on the one hand there is a well-balanced progression over the thirteen hours necessary to complete the adventure, on the other a bland and not very incisive story; there are then interesting and well-studied enigmas, which contrast with clashes that become mechanical and monotonous too soon. It is not fair to speak of a wasted opportunity, because Genesis even manages to surprise and the purchase is highly recommended to all fans of the brand, but more could be done to refine a title that still does not reach the peaks of the first regular chapters.

Areajugones (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
Darksiders Genesis takes the franchise formula (keeping fast and demanding combat as a pillar) to an isometric perspective. A spin-off that, with certain mistakes, does not reach the greatness of the best Darksiders but is capable of being a remarkable and interesting product for all fans of the franchise.

The Games Machine (7/10, review in Italian):
When it works, Darksiders Genesis manages to offer a particularly fun and engaging gaming experience. Unfortunately the many technical problems that afflict the last effort of Joe Mudureira and his companions, combined with some slips not just in the design phase, make the Airship Syndicate title fail to guarantee that everything runs smoothly from start to finish . A real shame because Darksiders Genesis has several winning cards that unfortunately are not played in the right way.

GamesRadar (3.5/5):
On the whole, Darksiders Genesis is a fun, but samey hack-and-slash romp. I've always admired the Darksiders franchise for jumping to different styles of play from game to game: Darksiders Genesis is its biggest jump yet, and one of its most successful. Though it feels understated, thanks to a pulled-out camera and a less flashy approach than the original three, it's a well-designed gauntlet of quick, mashy fights and light brain teasers. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's all good fun.

Game Rant (3.5/5):
The challenging boss fights, engaging combat, and emphasis on co-op in Darksiders Genesis make it still worth checking out despite its technical hiccups. Fans of the Darksiders franchise worried that the game is too different from the others can rest easy knowing that Darksiders Genesis is a genuine Darksiders experience from start to finish.

PC Games (7/10, review in German):
Darksiders is an exciting series, a kind of Zelda for adults, but putting it all in a Diablo gown was not the best idea. Did Darksiders need a prequel? Not necessarily, especially not if the story is ignored. For me, the new gameplay approach was interesting because I am also a big Diablo fan and was curious how the developers implement this in the Darksiders universe. The answer is: not very thoughtful. Although Genesis has really exciting ideas and cool game elements, but the whole thing is simply missing the soul. Bad enough that there is no real loot to improve my characters, the skill system is also half-baked and the fights are either boring or too heavy. But that will not stop me from taking Darksiders: Genesis back into my own hands, because as a fan, I find the 30 Euros for a 25 hour title okay.

PLAY! Zine (6.5/10, review in Bosnian):
Mind you, I get that Darksiders Genesis is a spinoff and not a new Darksiders sequel. Price is also acceptable for this type of game, but to know at least that part four is in the works, to know some details, to know that they have listened to us and learned from their mistakes and that we have a phenomenal franchise conclusion, so let's just say that keep us until then. I don't see the longevity of this game, frankly, and going over with another buddy will give you about 15 hours of fun, but after that, hardly anyone will come back to it.

Game Informer (6.5/10):
Overall, Darksiders Genesis fails to take advantage of the series' strengths. Since Darksiders' inception, fans have imagined what it might be like to team up as the different horsemen. Darksiders Genesis finally offers a co-op experience, but its offbeat design and forgettable story don't deliver on the fantasy.

RPG Site (5/10):
Darksiders Genesis, assuming some of the technical limitations are ironed out, could be a fun co-op romp for ardent fans of the franchise. For those looking to try out something new, there are better co-op games, and better Darksiders games.

Gamer.no (5/10, review in Norwegian):
Darksiders Genesis is a completely mediocre, somewhat boring game. There is good entertainment for a few hours, but then the variation ends and it becomes very much the same enemies, the same level, the same mission and you do more or less the same thing for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yay for an apparantly good Darksiders entry. Still gotta play 3 and I hope they keep playing around with different playstyles with this IP.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went from not caring about this game at all to Leo Dicaprio in Django.

They definitely have my interest now.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
I'm really excited to play this. Loved all of them. And now co-op baby!

Is there going to be an OT for this? Just thought of this title....Darksiders: Genesis OT "Fourth entry in The Darksiders SEGA".

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was fast.

Nice.
Ya really happy and impressed with this. Wasn't sure what to expect and I felt DS3 meandered a bit and didn't know what to do with itself but man Genesis nailed the translation to this kind of game. Its no Diablo, but its not going for that really.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders feels like one of those sleeper series that has always been out there putting out good games, but because they're kind of mish mashes of existing genre tropes, people tend to pass on them

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Knew this one was going to be something special. Can't wait to play this when it hits consoles.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there loot in this? Armor/weapon skins?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
High 70s is about where I expected after the last demo footage. I hope it does well enough that we get a proper follow up to Darksiders 1.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This pleases me greatly. I'll shill for the DS franchise any day of the week but to know it's also really good is great. I saw the first 10 minutes and heard the music and saw the gameplay and was already sold. Glad it's reviewing well.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Been playing Darksiders 3 (thank you PS+ :p) and didn't even realize this Genesis game was a thing.
I'll check it out!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any word on k/m controls?

ACG's review mentioned the devs suggest using a controller but I'm pretty attached to k/m for gaming.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I totally wasn't expecting this to make it it this year, I hadn't heard anything about it for ages.
Edit: Oh Destructoids review says Dec 5th for PC, Consoles in Februrary.

Happy to hear that it's pretty good. I played a few hours of DS3 and wasn't the biggest fan of the more Dark Souls-y combat (even playing on the newer gameplay mode they added).

I think I'll wait to see if the Switch version is any good before I decide on which platform to get it on. That would be my preferred one, but who knows how it'll turn out.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So is there any word on k/m controls?

ACG's review mentioned the devs suggest using a controller but I'm pretty attached to k/m for gaming.
Would love to know this as well. I can borrow a controller if the game is really designed for it but if there's proper KB/M support, I'd be a happy camper.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
welp, that's a purchase right there.

Glad to see the series came out with another good game.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Is there loot in this? Armor/weapon skins?

There doesn't appear to be from the reviews I've read - it's far closer to Darksiders 1 and 3 in that regard. Instead of dropping loot, enemies drop cores which you equip and power up by acquiring more of the same core. These are what empower your characters. You also find new abilities (War and Strife) and ammo types for Strife by exploring the nooks and crannies of the game.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seen a bunch of ads for this but never mentioned it was an isometric co-op hack and slash.

This actually interests me but I would have to wait until console.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a top-down game? What sort of genre is it; like Diablo, or the Lara Croft games, or a twin-stick shooter like Nex Machina? Sorry, cannot watch any video reviews right now but I do like the DS series.

EDIT - that being said, I got pissed off with DS3 and didn't finish it. I defeated Greed and then when I went back to the game I hadn't beaten him. Was really pissed off and abandoned the game thereafter.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Is this a top-down game? What sort of genre is it; like Diablo, or the Lara Croft games, or a twin-stick shooter like Nex Machina? Sorry, cannot watch any video reviews right now but I do like the DS series.

Lara Croft Guardian of Light x Darksiders is actually a pretty good summary. Definitely way more like Lara Croft than something like Diablo.

But "Isometric Darksiders" really is just the best description. Strife just happens to play a bit like a twin-stick shooter from the perspective.