• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never cared for the series but one glance at the gameplay already has me interested. Maybe I just need a top down fix but I need the console version.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I am a big fan of the Darksiders series so I had to jump and grab this. I was trying to wait for the console version but just caved in and bought a copy. I made a buddy buy it as well. Probably about half way through and it's all really coming together nicely with abilities and understanding the puzzles. It has been pretty frustrating since I am familiar with the controls and platforming where my friend is brand new. He just dies constantly trying to make jumps or getting through platforming puzzles. The other absolute frustration is not just having a drop in drop out co-op? Like wtf? Everytime we want to play I have to load the game up, hop into a level and find the summon stone? That's semi easy but when theres a crash(game is buggy as hell) I load back into where we are at in the level and I then have to backtrack to try and find a summon stone? Anyone know of a easier way to just get your buddy in to the game and start playing?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Fuck, the music in this game is incredible! Just got to the part where this track plays and it's very much off the hook:

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of the Darksiders series so I had to jump and grab this. I was trying to wait for the console version but just caved in and bought a copy. I made a buddy buy it as well. Probably about half way through and it's all really coming together nicely with abilities and understanding the puzzles. It has been pretty frustrating since I am familiar with the controls and platforming where my friend is brand new. He just dies constantly trying to make jumps or getting through platforming puzzles. The other absolute frustration is not just having a drop in drop out co-op? Like wtf? Everytime we want to play I have to load the game up, hop into a level and find the summon stone? That's semi easy but when theres a crash(game is buggy as hell) I load back into where we are at in the level and I then have to backtrack to try and find a summon stone? Anyone know of a easier way to just get your buddy in to the game and start playing?

It forces you to join at a summon stone because there are changes to the world depending on if you're playing co-op or not. Like, say, in co-op you'll both have to hit 2 switches at the same time, that sort of thing.

I personally just did enitre levels at a time with a buddy so it wasn't that big a deal.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Have the devs said if this game has X/Pro support?

Over the past 5 months I've been playing through the series (replay on 1, first time on 2 and 3) and I simply cannot wait for Genesis to arrive on console! The itch is even stronger, having beat Darksiders 3 about 2 weeks ago.

This franchise have been full of such great gaming experiences. I'm so excited that the series is back and in full steam!

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
So, I'm guessing X/Pro Enhancements are off the table. I've seen zero information on the console version.

I'm still buying the Xbox One version, but I would so love for it to be X/Pro Enhanced, like its predecessors.
Sorry for the late response DJ Lushious, we've been busy over here.

As for enhancements, I've been approved to share this info:
The Pro and X versions of DS:G have higher visual fidelity overall. X renders at native 4K, whereas Pro renders at an upscaled 1440p.
Frame rate target, however, is still 30fps.

I hope y'all console owners enjoy the game in the next 16 days :)

Oct 31, 2017
So... This being a prequel means that it doesn't have any spoilers regarding D3 ? I only played the first two till now.

The Pro and X versions of DS:G have higher visual fidelity overall. X renders at native 4K, whereas Pro renders at an upscaled 1440p.

How good is the Switch version ?

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the info. X version it is then.

Sep 14, 2018
Zim Hi, I just want to say I recently discovered Battle Chasers and had a lot of fun with it, I hope you guys get back to it someday and wish you success with all your projects :)

Oct 29, 2017
So... This being a prequel means that it doesn't have any spoilers regarding D3 ? I only played the first two till now.

No spoilers for 3, Fury barely gets a mention, plot links vaguely to the end of 2 but its a complete prequel as in pure DS1.

Anyway just to say if I didn't do so already (can't remember) this is bloody ace and definitely the best Darksiders game since the original. Console owners are in for a treat. Buy this in February people!!

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly, I haven't seen the game since the launch on PC / Stadia. Immediately afterwards I went straight onto Ruined King. Currently, the DS: G team is getting the day 1 patch ready for console release. As for performance(s), all I know is we did our best to optimize the game for all consoles.
Zim Hi, I just want to say I recently discovered Battle Chasers and had a lot of fun with it, I hope you guys get back to it someday and wish you success with all your projects :)
I too enjoyed BC, but for other reasons. It helped persuade me to apply to Airship :)

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I also loved Battle Chasers and is the reason I look out for Airship Syndicate games now. If you're not aware, they are working on another turn-based game called Ruined King. Can't wait to see more turn-based games from them.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Having just finished Darksiders 3 (thank you Game Pass) and loving it even more than the previous two games, I'm now super excited to play this too.

Think I'm going to wait to see what the Switch port is like on Feb 14th. I'm hoping it will be a perfect travel game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Super excited for this but I did buy the silly version that included the board game. Oh boy, what did I get myself into?

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
It forces you to join at a summon stone because there are changes to the world depending on if you're playing co-op or not. Like, say, in co-op you'll both have to hit 2 switches at the same time, that sort of thing.

I personally just did enitre levels at a time with a buddy so it wasn't that big a deal.
But like I said the game crashes alot. So we would be midway through a level and go through a crash. Restart game and jump back into level and would have to run around looking for a summon stone within the level. Hope they release a patch soon.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

This is great news! Thank you for sharing that information directly with us. I can't wait to get my hands on Genesis; I simply love this franchise!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Does anyone know when we can expect the console reviews for the game prior to the launch on the 14th? Or should I assume they will appear on the day it comes out?
Interested to see how this performs on the Switch.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Does anyone know when we can expect the console reviews for the game prior to the launch on the 14th? Or should I assume they will appear on the day it comes out?
Interested to see how this performs on the Switch.
I haven't seen or heard anything but on PC reviews came out the day before launch (roughly 24 hrs prior to release was embargo) so we can probably expect similar for console.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
It looks like the 24hours early access is a lie. It's past midnight here in France, the 13 but I can't play the game on PS4. The countdown say 23h43m left before playing. The pre order bonus on PSN was to play 24h early. I'm disappointed... oh well, tomorrow it is I guess :(

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Omg a new Darksiders game so soon, ugh I can't wait much longer!!

been playing DS2 on my switch for a while now, it's only my 10th time through or so. Will this new Darksiders best it as my GOAT??

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Omg a new Darksiders game so soon, ugh I can't wait much longer!!

been playing DS2 on my switch for a while now, it's only my 10th time through or so. Will this new Darksiders best it as my GOAT??
Doubt it.

It's a good game, but DS2 was unquestionably king when it comes to content. And it's the only game with a loot system intuitive enough where I actually cared about the loot.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I did the New Zealand region trick and played about 2 hours of Genesis tonight. I am loving it so far! However, the game defaulted to Normal difficulty. I assume I have to unlock the harder difficulties by beating Normal first?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I did the New Zealand region trick and played about 2 hours of Genesis tonight. I am loving it so far! However, the game defaulted to Normal difficulty. I assume I have to unlock the harder difficulties by beating Normal first?

Yeah. you unlock the other difficulties by beating the game once.

Last edited:

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it.

It's a good game, but DS2 was unquestionably king when it comes to content. And it's the only game with a loot system intuitive enough where I actually cared about the loot.

I'm playing through DS2 at the moment for my first time and it's a really damn good game. It feels like a Diablo action adventure game with the loot and art style.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
But like I said the game crashes alot. So we would be midway through a level and go through a crash. Restart game and jump back into level and would have to run around looking for a summon stone within the level. Hope they release a patch soon.

Ah I see. Personally I had a bunch of bugs at release (mostly getting stuck in geometry) but almost all of those you could just wiggle yourself out of, didn't have any crashes.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My girlfriend and I only had time to get past the first boss fight before turning in for the night but, just as with everything Darksiders, I'm in love. It retains the same sort of gameplay from the original game while using the new camera angle to create an even bigger sense of scale. The art is incredible as always and Strife is a blast, as is his interplay with War. I really insisted on holding out for the console release instead of playing it on PC and I really regret it now that my fears about the game have been allayed after only playing for an hour and change.

Another hit from one of my favorite franchises. Glad I went on media blackout for it, not glad I waited for the console release to dive in. Dying to get back to it tomorrow.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. you unlock the other difficulties by beating the game once.

This isn't quite correct.

The game defaults the first chapter (or 2) to normal but then after that when you select a chapter if you hit a button you can change to Hard and, if they released the console versions with parity to the PC release, a new difficulty that I'm forgetting the name of.

There's one difficulty unlocked behind beating the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, was going to play but then occured to me. Does it gives some kind of bonus if you played or detected saved files of previous games?

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about picking this up I got $10 PSN credit I think. Any ideas how long for a platinum run or some one that like to do everything?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
is this a sort of Diablo-like and/or Diablo-lite?
I loved the "lore" of DS, and I'm in for a "quicker/pick-up&play" game in that universe

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is this a sort of Diablo-like and/or Diablo-lite?
I loved the "lore" of DS, and I'm in for a "quicker/pick-up&play" game in that universe

It's not got the loot aspect of Diablo. It's actually pretty much just Darksiders but level-based with an isometric perspective. Level lengths range from 30 minutes to an hour (in the late game), though naturally shorter when you replay missions when you're stronger and know where you're going (or longer if you're scouring the level for collectables and upgrades).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It's not got the loot aspect of Diablo. It's actually pretty much just Darksiders but level-based with an isometric perspective. Level lengths range from 30 minutes to an hour (in the late game), though naturally shorter when you replay missions when you're stronger and know where you're going.

thank you very much!

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
Does this have local/couch coop? I was about to buy this last night on Xbox but the wording implies it doesn't which seems odd.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does this have local/couch coop? I was about to buy this last night on Xbox but the wording implies it doesn't which seems odd.

Steam has it listed as having shared/split-screen coop. I imagine it's the same for consoles.

EDIT: Checked some footage from a PS4 stream and it definitely has split-screen coop.