• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

I had no idea, just saw it in my console store page and jumped, guess I should check the OT more often, so made this post for people like me.

I picked the wrong time to grab Torchlight 2 on a xbox sale with a mate to do a co-op run.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I kind of forgot about it too until it showed up on my doorstep via an Amazon pre order I made ages ago.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, it's out since Friday, you know, it's release date. But yeah I agree, it's not making a lot of noise. And even when it released on PC no one seemed to care. I found it super boring.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna self-promote so I ain't linking, but I gave the game a 7.2. It's a competent ARPG with solid battles and a lot of Darksiders elements, including some surprising platforming and puzzles. It does have a pretty janky presentation however thanks to bad cameras, multiple questionable design choices and a ridiculously dumb map (imagine not using a marker for your character's position in 2020). It also lacks the depth you'd expect from such games, preferring a somewhat linear progression as opposed to the loot shower Diablo-likes used you to. It's fun, it's got a decent length for a hand-made (eg. not randomly generated) series of levels, but do know what you're getting. I'd recommend it to hardcore ARPG fans, especially for co-op lovers, but it's definitely more grounded and limited than "infinite" games like Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I bought the PC version day one and loved it. I enjoyed it so much that I bought the Collector`s Edition (which is great btw.) later.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not gonna self-promote so I ain't linking, but I gave the game a 7.2. It's a competent ARPG with solid battles and a lot of Darksiders elements, including some surprising platforming and puzzles. It does have a pretty janky presentation however thanks to bad cameras, multiple questionable design choices and a ridiculously dumb map (imagine not using a marker for your character's position in 2020). It also lacks the depth you'd expect from such games, preferring a somewhat linear progression as opposed to the loot shower Diablo-likes used you to. It's fun, it's got a decent length for a hand-made (eg. not randomly generated) series of levels, but do know what you're getting. I'd recommend it to hardcore ARPG fans, especially for co-op lovers, but it's definitely more grounded and limited than "infinite" games like Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.
It's not trying to be a loot based RPG like Diablo or Path of Exile. It's quite literally just a Darksiders game with a different camera. Judging it with the expectation that it's a loot based ARPG isn't really fair or accurate.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's not trying to be a loot based RPG like Diablo or Path of Exile. It's quite literally just a Darksiders game with a different camera. Judging it with the expectation that it's a loot based ARPG isn't really fair or accurate.
Yeah, don't go into this game expecting a life-stealing loot grind. It's not precisely a one-and-done linear game, but neither is it anything like Diablo.

I'd actually never played a Darksiders game before Genesis, and I enjoyed this one enough to go back and play the previous games at some point soon. It's a nice, lightweight mix of action and puzzling.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, I'm not saying you should expect loot up the ass, but that's what most people associate ARPGs with, which is why I'm telling people that it's nothing like that. This means a more streamlined and linear experience, for better and worse, limiting replayability in the process. Considering the game is 40 Euros it's important to point out there isn't too much reason to go on beyond the initial 15-20 hours.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
FairyEmpire said:
It also lacks the depth you'd expect from such games, preferring a somewhat linear progression as opposed to the loot shower Diablo-likes used you to. It's fun, it's got a decent length for a hand-made (eg. not randomly generated) series of levels, but do know what you're getting. I'd recommend it to hardcore ARPG fans, especially for co-op lovers, but it's definitely more grounded and limited than "infinite" games like Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

But that sounds perfect nowadays. You say it like it's a bad thing.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
But that sounds perfect nowadays. You say it like it's a bad thing.
Right. My only problem with the statement is equating depth with endless loot shower loops. The game has plenty of elements that add depth like a heavy focus on puzzle elements to find its secrets as well as new abilities that push the player to replay levels to completely clear them out. It also has a pretty nifty dynamic quest system that lets you discover the various quests you need to complete in each level.

Yes, it won't keep you playing for hundreds of hours grinding for loot but then it's not the intention as mentioned. It does have a good 20-25+ hours of gameplay available if you are a completionist and that's precluding replaying the game on harder difficulties if you wanted to go down that route.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
It runs great on my x1x, put a lot of time into it already and loving it.
I'm a pretty big Darksiders fan already tho, so that helps!

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Geez, they must of expected such a small following they did the absolute minimum for a physical release.
Not been out long and already sold out to the point folks are trying to charge more than MSRP for it, at least on ps4.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
So is this not going to be X enhanced, or will it be on a later date? There's nothing about it on the product page.

It's X Enhanced and says so on the final box art.

I haven't done any pixel counting but the game definitely runs at a higher resolution than 1080p. Either at nearly a 4K native res or just under. No clue if there's any dynamic resolution scaling but according to the developers there appears to be some of that happening.

www.windowscentral.com

Darksiders Genesis is actually Xbox One X Enhanced

There's another reason to pick this one up.

We reached out to THQ Nordic to see if the game was Xbox One X Enhanced since it looked much sharper than the Google Stadia version we tested many months ago. The Microsoft Store doesn't mention that it's Xbox One X Enhanced. A spokesperson for the team simply responded, "Yes it is, but it might downscale in certain situations." It's unclear what the resolution is, but I would say it's either 4K or 1800p.

It was also confirmed on this very forum:

www.resetera.com

Darksiders Genesis |OT| No. Not Alone.

Man, I really appreciate having the option to show Playstation buttons. That's neat!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's X Enhanced and says so on the final box art.

I haven't done any pixel counting but the game definitely runs at a higher resolution than 1080p. Either at nearly a 4K native res or just under. No clue if there's any dynamic resolution scaling but according to the developers there appears to be some of that happening.

www.windowscentral.com

Darksiders Genesis is actually Xbox One X Enhanced

There's another reason to pick this one up.

It was also confirmed on this very forum:

www.resetera.com

Darksiders Genesis |OT| No. Not Alone.

Man, I really appreciate having the option to show Playstation buttons. That's neat!

Great, thanks!

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I love Darksiders, so I picked this up..

It's okay... what a strange game... it's like an isometric co-op darksiders. War is great... Strife is fun to play, but he sounds like such a dope.... like a try hard dudebro.

Oct 27, 2017
How does this play? Normally I loathe isometric perspective, but I'm kinda interested in this as I've finished Darksiders 1 and 2, and recently bought Darksiders 3.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
How does this play? Normally I loathe isometric perspective, but I'm kinda interested in this as I've finished Darksiders 1 and 2, and recently bought Darksiders 3.
Like a Darksiders game. Having completed Darksiders 1 & 2 you'll be right at home. I don't know what about isometric views you don't like, but definitely don't sleep on Genesis if you enjoy the franchise.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely plays like a darksiders game, just from a different perspective.

I wish enemies were a bit easier to lift for air combos, and i wish there were more combos in general. This is just the dmc talking, I'm still having a great time!

Oct 27, 2017
Like a Darksiders game. Having completed Darksiders 1 & 2 you'll be right at home. I don't know what about isometric views you don't like, but definitely don't sleep on Genesis if you enjoy the franchise.
absolutely plays like a darksiders game, just from a different perspective.

I wish enemies were a bit easier to lift for air combos, and i wish there were more combos in general. This is just the dmc talking, I'm still having a great time!

I can't pinpoint exactly why I don't like isometric games, but I'll pick this one up then!

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Love this franchise so will get it asap.
Hope the story doesn't take a nosedive due to the smaller scale.
Honestly the game feels huge, with tons of different environments to explore. There are 17 missions in total, and I've had a few that have taken me at least an hour if not more when hunting down loot/collectibles.

I like the interplay between War and Strife, that kind of interaction hasn't been in previous games! The main plot is pretty standard tho, demons doing bad things and we gonna stop 'em!

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I totally understand anyone that expected this to be a loot-based ARPG though, as that was the perception when they debuted it and the idea was not really knocked down until very recently by hands-on previews. I mean there's even 'loot showers' when you kill enemies...they just don't have loot in them.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
does it have online coop? it's the only way i was going to buy this game with a friend

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it and am near the end of it:

Pros:
  • Great feeling combat
  • Controls
  • Voice acting
  • Hand drawn cutscenes
  • Finding secrets in maps
Cons:
  • Lack of combat depth/breadth (very few skills and a scarce creature core system)
  • Lack of polish (getting stuck on terrain, not enough tooltips, camera views causing issues with platforming, etc)
  • No character location marked on map (most likely intentional on developers' part, but I feel it puts more people off than it does good)
  • Story makes you feel like an errand boy.
Overall, it's a decent game. I've never played a Darksiders game, so had no expectations. I played this because I liked Battle Chasers Nightwar from this developer. Think I would have enjoyed this game more if it had more indepth combat with more RPG elements (not necessarily random loot, but just more weapons, more abilities, more passives, more "builds", etc.)

Anyway, time to wait for their next game: the turn-based Ruined King.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I like the interplay between War and Strife, that kind of interaction hasn't been in previous games!
I have to give credit to all the dialogue writers for the Darksiders franchise. They really did an outstanding job of nailing down each character's horsemen power in a way that doesn't feel hammy or trope-ish. Of all the 4 horsemen, I have loved Fury's character and personality the most, but Strife is a close runner-up. I especially love how he embodies the antagonistic definition of the word by constantly cracking jokes at War's expense.

And either I completely forgot about it, or it was never really made clear in the first game, but I had no idea War had lost an arm. Looking at the Darksiders Wiki just now, it was in one of the comics. I've never read those or the novel that they released. Are they worth looking into?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it tonight, and the game really ended abruptly. Was expecting a few more chapters to be honest to finish off
Lucifer.

Anyway, had a decent time out of it regardless. I love the hand-drawn cutscenes from Airship Syndicate (see vid below for all the scenes). Keen to see if they go the same route with their next game, Ruined King.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
CONSOLE PATCHES are finally out!!

The BIG ticket items....
Map - Indicator for player(s)
Leviathans Landing - Overall improvements
Audio should be fixed in the Void (Sorry for all that reverb, it wasn't intended.)
Tons of bug fixes

Long story short, we submitted all console patches in early / mid March. Unfortunately, with everything going on in the world, it took way longer for our patch to go through the cert process.
I'm sorry for the long delay, happy gaming and stay safe out there y'all!

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CONSOLE PATCHES are finally out!!

The BIG ticket items....
Map - Indicator for player(s)
Leviathans Landing - Overall improvements
Audio should be fixed in the Void (Sorry for all that reverb, it wasn't intended.)
Tons of bug fixes

Long story short, we submitted all console patches in early / mid March. Unfortunately, with everything going on in the world, it took way longer for our patch to go through the cert process.
I'm sorry for the long delay, happy gaming and stay safe out there y'all!

Nice. Glad to see the void patch!

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Darksiders is low key one of the best IP in recent times. Is a Shame is not as mainstream. 3 felt really small compared to rest of the series

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it run on the base level PS4?

Is it fun as a couch co-op game? I would prefer something that doesn't have a lot of downtime associated with equipment, skill trees, etc.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
How does it run on the base level PS4?

Is it fun as a couch co-op game? I would prefer something that doesn't have a lot of downtime associated with equipment, skill trees, etc.
Performance on base PS4 is ok. All consoles target 30fps, but there will be dips from time to time (sorry).
As for downtime, IMO I don't think the creature core system causes too much downtime. Equipment management is basically non existent since this isnt a loot game.
Is the game perfect? Naw, there is still issues here and there. BUT I think the positives out way the negatives.
I am biased, but It is pretty easy to get a handle on things / systems. As for multiplayer, I enjoy playing co-op with my son who is seven.
You can always read / view a review from an media outlet you align with and make the decision afterwards.
For $16 I think its worth it, warts and all.
Hope that helps.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Performance on base PS4 is ok. All consoles target 30fps, but there will be dips from time to time (sorry).
As for downtime, IMO I don't think the creature core system causes too much downtime. Equipment management is basically non existent since this isnt a loot game.
Is the game perfect? Naw, there is still issues here and there. BUT I think the positives out way the negatives.
I am biased, but It is pretty easy to get a handle on things / systems. As for multiplayer, I enjoy playing co-op with my son who is seven.
You can always read / view a review from an media outlet you align with and make the decision afterwards.
For $16 I think its worth it, warts and all.
Hope that helps.
Oh that sounds great. My main frustration with Diablo is that my partner is often dragging things to a halt to sort through loot, try out different equipment, or mess with builds. I just want something we can blast through pretty easily without a lot of character-tuning.

The only real turn-off for me is that the multiplayer is splitscreen, but I guess a shared screen has it's own problems.

I presume that you can crank down the difficulty if you're playing with someone who's not all that adept at hack-n-slash games? Is difficulty locked in or can you just change it dynamically when you please?

If I leave my copy at a friends' house and he plays alone and levels up a character way beyond mine, will that trivialize our co-op sessions? Or do enemies just scale to your level?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I played thru on the Switch and loved it! Didn't notice any issues, been meaning to boot it up on PS4.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Played through it with one of my best friends and we had a blast!! I love we could enjoy it as a regular playthrough and then see the amount of secrets and crazy hard platforming there was to dive into for others. I just like watching youtube clips of people doing the really hard sections.