• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vaelic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game's second update was released to the PC version yesterday, 20th December. Now, when you load a save or start a new game, you'll pick from default or classic combat. The developers said classic mode should feel more like previous Darksiders games in that it lets Fury dodge interrupt her attacks and use items instantly. Default mode is, as you'd expect, the original combat mode for Darksiders 3.

Meanwhile, the update added a few new checkpoints (one of the criticisms of the game revolved around its brutal checkpoint system).

There's also improved ledge grab detection on Fury, and new items that let you buy refills for Nephilim's Respite and refund your spent attribute points. The level cap is raised to 200, and there's a rebalanced leveling curve post level 80.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/606280/announcements/detail/1710703969787340673

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...es-combat-more-like-previous-darksiders-games

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Huh. That seems like quite the big change to introduce post-launch for a single-player game. I haven't played any of these games (yet) but people must have preferred the classic combat?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I've just finished the game and loved it. I don't really see the need for the combat changes, but it's good that it's an option and not for everyone. This has the best combat in all of the Darksiders games. I'm not sure why anyone would want it to play like the others? The additional checkpoints is a nice addition though.

The way the Nephilim's Respite works is already perfect because it forces you to fight to refill it. Just going to Vulgrim and buying refills seems a bit lame.

I finished on normal difficulty around level 50 so having the cap raised that high must be due to coming DLC? That seems helluva high to me. Even 80 is crazy. Do you level up faster on a higher difficulty?

Last edited:

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
Considering that I gave up on the game in the first big boss fight, this is a good thing for me.

Of course, I was never a Dark Souls guy, so it's probably my problem and not the game's fault.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't see how this is a good idea other than to appease fans saying it's #NotMyDarksiders. Are the encounters being redesigned/adjusted in any way to accommodate these changes or is the combat mindless enough where it doesn't even matter?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That does sound like a drastic change. I wonder if it makes the game incredibly easy if you can just dodge roll like that. I haven't played this one myself, but it can't be how the devs initially intended to be played so I wonder how game breaking it is.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a good idea other than to appease fans saying it's #NotMyDarksiders. Are the encounters being redesigned/adjusted in any way to accommodate these changes or is the combat mindless enough where it doesn't even matter?

The combat in this is very specific. Changing how it fundamentally works seems strange. I would've thought it would break it.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I waited to pick up the game to see if they could smooth out some of the technical issues, looks like they also made it more like DS2! Which is great for me, as it's one of my favorites.

Can't wait to jump in with classic mode!

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat this two days ago. I loved the combat. It was definitely harder than 1 and 2, but in a good, challenging way. I don't think I could recommend classic to anyone. If you want Easy mode, just put it on Easy.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
In many sections the game can swarm you with mobs who can perpetually frame perfect stun lock you, which I would say is probably unintentional on the developer's part. It tries to be both Dark Souls and classic God of War at the same time and the combat and encounters don't really seem to be "balanced" or designed for either, so this seems like a great solution. Overall the game is actually really good.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damn, and here I was about to start it for the first time, will wait for impressions on what mode is the best choice to play the game (Never finished either DS1-DS2)

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Im restarting. Only got up to the area
after you agree to help the angels by dealing with Lust.
I dont mind Dark Souls combat but I'd rather play this like the other Darksiders games

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that I gave up on the game in the first big boss fight, this is a good thing for me.

Of course, I was never a Dark Souls guy, so it's probably my problem and not the game's fault.
The dev team taking a Souls approach to combat when that's not what Darksiders fans were used to or necessarily wanted was perhaps an ill-thought choice. Trying to shoehorn in a more "classic" control option post launch could be really messy though if the rest of the game isn't adjusted for it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! Started the game a couple days ago. 3 hours in probably and find the souls inspiration totally unfitting. Will change to classic asap.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I played a little with the classic controls today. As someone who already considered Darksiders 3 their GOTY, I think the changes actually do improve the combat. It's so much easier to dodge enemy attacks now. It just has a better feel to it, even though it does detract a little from the considered approach the game was originally going for.

I do think making consumables instant use was a step too far though. It should be a seperate option.

Last edited:

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders 3 is so underrated, one of the best games I've played all year. I don't think the changes were needed (the improvements in performance definitely were though) but I hope they'll get more people to play it.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Hmm....might give it a try again after I'm done with The Surge. As someone who loved Darksiders 1 and 2, combat is one of my pet peeves with DS3, it wants to be dark souls-ish but lack of weapon variety and blocking just kills the flow of combat for me. Especially with games like Nioh and The Surge taking what's best of the Soulsbourne genre and making it their own.

I'm glad they are bringing back evade interrupts back cause it's one of the best parts of the Darksiders series combat.

Oct 25, 2017
In a way it's solving a problem with the combat. Using a healing item takes a Dark Souls amount of time while the pace of combat is very often much faster than that. Putting space between yourself and enemies is often ineffective because they move so fast and have attacks with a lot of range.

You're right to be suspicious of this big change not gelling with the rest of the design but honestly the overall design wasnt some impeccable success to begin with. The integration of souls elements was half assed and usually detrimental IMO.

I don't think these changes will compromise the game and may make it more fun for a good number of people.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's a shame that all the big patches are coming that late. I know that the game was released only a few weeks ago, but being a short-ish SP game means that most fans will complete it during the first days. I hope next time they simply delay the launch a few months.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the default combat generally worked fine, the classic changes basically just make it a bit easier.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I played a little with the classic controls today. As someone who already considered Darksiders 3 their GOTY, I think the changes actually do improve the combat. It's so much easier to dodge enemy attacks now. It just has a better feel to it, even though it does detract a little from the considered approach the game was originally going for.

I do think making consumables instant use was a step too far though. It should be a seperate option.

I think this is a huge combat buff,animation cancelling,instant use of hp pots and arcane counter i frames. Whoever uses classic mode I think shouls up one step the difficulty

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna have to reinstall the game to check out the other things they changed but the combat options seem particularly unnecessary. there wasn't really anything wrong with the way it handled combat.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sort of interested now considering that I love Darksiders 1 and 2 but would rather eat an entire bag of tide pods than play another dark souls wannabe. Now I'm wondering how it meshes with a game balanced and structured around its 'default' combat. In theory it could be completely seamless.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Good patch, IMO.

Tired of everything trying to imitate Dark Souls and its combat.

The fact that it can just be patched out is clear indicator that they put it in with no meaningful consideration besides chasing a fad/making a bullet point on the box.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So is this game.. Ready to be played yet? I had heard it was a technical nightmare on consoles. I do have an Xbox one X if that helps.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Game is good. I just finished it a couple of days ago. Similar yet different than the previous two entries. It has the best dialogue of the series though imo, but it's more of an action game now with less of a focus on dungeons and puzzles.

The level cap increase is interesting considering there isn't a
new game+ option, which is odd. I thought for sure there would be one.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
I'm still waiting some more weeks to buy it. Hope, it get more fixes and updates in the meantime.

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Were the performance issues I recall reading about at launch, patched up on Xbox X?