• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
still have yet to play the first one. Is it completely rogue like or is there progression?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Hell fucking yes. Loved the original, even though it hated me and wanted me to fail miserably. I'm in.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to buy it and all the dlcs and not even get 10 weeks in before I drop the game cold turkey all over again

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
EGS only, really?

*sigh*

So long as the full release is available on Steam at launch, I guess.

still have yet to play the first one. Is it completely rogue like or is there progression?

There is progression, yes. Your characters gain levels as you go through progressively more difficult dungeons and bosses until you reach the story's endpoint. You can spend money and resources on upgrading your "hub" buildings for better bonuses and the like.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to complete the first game, I loved the atmosphere but I got so disheartened when my first Crusader died (Again, I got lucky and was able to bring him back once) that I put the game down.

It was my fault really, I had completed the objectives in a dungeon but there was one more room I wanted to clear. SPLAT.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Great, can't wait to dive in. Haven't played DD1 for a while so it'll be nice, fresh start. I wonder why this teaser has nothing to do with snow and ice region like the first one.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's progression. Your guys level up (if they survive), you find/buy trinkets and upgrade weapons/armour/skills to power them up, buy upgrades for the hub, etc.
ok, so similarly to Dead Cells (which is the only rogue-like that I have played), runs get easier the more you play the game?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully it's less grindy than the original

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
ok, so similarly to Dead Cells (which is the only rogue-like that I have played), runs get easier the more you play the game?
Yeah, definitely. Though the game does still pile it on by doing stuff like locking higher level characters out from lower level dungeons once they hit a certain level. So you can't just use your strongest guys to crush every stage. Keeps the game being tough.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
There is progression. Town (base), heroes and gear to be progressed, managed and gained. Then to lose them.

You will run a lot into failure and points of no return as you are learning the game.

I am another person who hasn't played the original and has thought about jumping into it more than once.

So what do you mean by exactly of 'points of no return'? Can you go into an earlier (easier?) dungeon and improve yourself if you are having difficult getting past your current point?

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
If that was the game with the Google translation in the beginning, please contact me for a proper localization into German, thanks!

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
You're building up a town, recruiting units, and sending them 4 at a time into dungeons. When things go wrong, you can often limit it to just one or two of the characters in a group, escaping with the rest. And even if all 4 die (and they will), you'll have more waiting back in town. So there's a ton of progression, even though you're able to lose individual units.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
You'll be fine, it's just a launcher.
Not really but i really don't want to start a whole debate over this simple point and derail the thread. Lets just say these days, objectively speaking these PC digital clients are pretty much more than just launchers regardless how personally you view them according to your preferences. They have entire ecosystems surrounding them rather than them having just a play and a settings option in them :)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely. Though the game does still pile it on by doing stuff like locking higher level characters out from lower level dungeons once they hit a certain level. So you can't just use your strongest guys to crush every stage. Keeps the game being tough.
You're building up a town, recruiting units, and sending them 4 at a time into dungeons. When things go wrong, you can often limit it to just one or two of the characters in a group, escaping with the rest. And even if all 4 die (and they will), you'll have more waiting back in town. So there's a ton of progression, even though you're able to lose individual units.
Ah, that's encouraging. I thought that the player had to start over from scratch everytime that they died, which intimidated me from playing.

Are the expansions worth it? How are they integrated into the game? Do they add stuff to the main game, or is it all post-campaign addons?

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
EGS.... Yeah that killed the hype for me. I did enjoy the first one. Will wait for deep discount on Steam.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I don't even get annoyed with Epic paying for early access anymore tbh. Hopefully it means more/better game by the time it hits 1.0/Steam.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I am another person who hasn't played the original and has thought about jumping into it more than once.

So what do you mean by exactly of 'points of no return'? Can you go into an earlier (easier?) dungeon and improve yourself if you are having difficult getting past your current point?

Now knowing how to spend currencies (what to get, when to get, how much...) can lead to spiral that isn't sustainable so starting over is better option.

Bleeding heroes so you constantly need train new ones while game keeps on going and scaling can lead to running into walls.

etc.

There is things that can and will make run dead end.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If anyone hasn't listened to the Lovecraft audio books read by Wayne June (Darkest Dungeon narrator) - I strongly suggest you track them down. They're amazing.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Now knowing how to spend currencies (what to get, when to get, how much...) can lead to spiral that isn't sustainable so starting over is better option.

Bleeding heroes so you constantly need train new ones while game keeps on going and scaling can lead to running into walls.

etc.

There i just things that can and will make run dead end.

So you are saying it's not worthwhile to train up your heroes when you get to a point where you can't pass, it's just easier to recruit new ones?

Or do you mean actually start the game over? Not sure how that wouldn't prevent the same problem from happening, though.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Backseat moderation and trolling over a series of posts. Accumulation of numerous recent infractions.
Yeah, it's not like Dungeon Darkest has a thriving mod scene sustained by Steam's Workshop or anything.

Oh, wait.

These sorts of moronic posts should merit a threadban by this point.
Or you could look at it like Hades and see that it is early access, meaning there is likely other platforms it is going to upon full release which could warrant AT THAT TIME the ability to have steam workshop after the developer has finished fine tuning their game.

Oh wait.

Also whining about platforms should be thread bannable too if you want to get into it, don't like the platform then don't use it, but actively choosing to not support a game you are likely going to play because you don't like X store doesn't help the developer make the game better.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's a shame that I won't be buying this early access. I really liked the first Darkest Dungeon (enough to replay it on Stygian even).

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So you are saying it's not worthwhile to train up your heroes when you get to a point where you can't pass, it's just easier to recruit new ones?

Or do you mean actually start the game over? Not sure how that wouldn't prevent the same problem from happening, though.

Start all new run.

You learn game pretty fast and learn what to do, when to do it etc. It just can take few dead end runs, even if you read wiki and watch a lot lets plays on before hand.

Failure in Darkest Dungeon is fine as you will learn from it, very much intended.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EGS means I'll miss out on EA - but that's fine, I'll gladly wait for the final product. First one was amazing, it seems like they are transitioning to 3D units in this one. I can see that looking great with more dynamic angles for attacks. I hope the core gameplay loop stays similar to the first one though. There's nothing like it out there.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are the expansions worth it? How are they integrated into the game? Do they add stuff to the main game, or is it all post-campaign addons?

The first expansion, Crimson Court, adds a new area and mechanics. It's rather tough and certain features can have an impact on your run through the regular game, so it's advised that new players don't enable that DLC for their first playthrough. Save it for a replay. It is highly entertaining, though.

Colors of Madness is pretty much entirely separate from the main game. Its primary feature, Endless Harvest, is basically one unending dungeon where you try to last as long as possible. It's meant as post-campaign content where you can experiment with different party compositions.