• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Summon?

• Yes

Votes: 369 44.8%
  • No - Git Gud

Votes: 409 49.7%
  • Add Easy mode

Votes: 45 5.5%

• Total voters

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I'm currently playing this for the first time and I haven't touched multiplayer. Summoning honestly feels like cheating, going by some of the videos I've watched.
It's really fun to be summoned though. I often try to show people around if they appear new to the area while not helping them too much. I'm glad it's in the game.

Also recommend a low level run with a friend. Ds3 was great playing together, especially the dlc.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Some bosses seem to be designed around summoning, and they'll typically provide NPC signs for those, so I summon the NPCs. Otherwise I play solo.

Summoning other players just doesn't feel good IMO. You don't want to waste their time by dying, so you play extra safe and just let them carry. It doesn't feel cooperative.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
who am i to deny those on their paths

medium.jpg

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the entire game is designed to be played solo. The summoning is to make the game easier and keep you from getting permanently stuck on a difficult boss.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
To me the Souls games are co-op experiences. I've played them both ways, but co-op is way more fun.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I soloed it all...I am legit gud! There's no way for anyone to know if I am telling the truth so whatever!

Here!

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo first time then I put my soapstone down afterwards to help other players and a get a fair amount of souls in the process.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I play all of the games in co-op with my partner the first time. It's amazing and we love it. Some of the best gaming moments we have had happened in these games.
I have also played each of them solo a whole bunch of times with different builds. They are my comfort games I play when I am stressed or need something I can play without thinking too much. Something that is familiar and safe.

They are completely different experiences and I wouldn't want to skip any of them.
Always play games the way they feel best to you, whatever it is. Wanna play with guides? Without HUD? With friends? Alone? Always play your way.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Summoning & being summoned is a wonderful experience. I replayed DS when it got remastered for current gen & the community was super active & I ended up spending so much time just getting summoned by other people to help them & it was a joy from beginning to end. Hell, I think I spent a good chunk of an evening just near the Bell Gargoyles boss & hearing the bells ring every 30s or so, especially after you just helped someone? Priceless.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
I usually summon NPCs if I'm impatient.

I love putting my summon sign though, that's probably what my last 30 hours or so in DS3 was.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, all the time. Fuck this git gud bullshit who do they think I am? I'm the scrubiest of all scrubs no matter what genre and proud of it dammit! Add easymode please.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't summon, but I encourage everyone who wants to to do so. I do absolutely enjoy getting summoned though. It's a risk free way to just tackle a boss and help a stranger out. Sunbro at heart.
I'm in this boat. Not going to summon myself as I feel like the bosses are clearly balanced towards one human player, but helping other people out is also one of the funnest things you can do in these games. You get a real sense of comradery when you help someone narrowly overcome a tough fight.

The emotes are great too as they really encourage positive interactions in these co-op situations.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Solo everything on first playthrough, 100%. I might serve as a cooperator/phantom but I won't summon.

On replays, whether it's NG+ or making new characters, I'll sometimes summon for the fun of it. I prefer invading though

I voted no because I personally prefer not to summon people, but I object to the appended "git gud". Play how you wanna play.
It's not that serious lol

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I only summoned in Dark souls when I played it for the first time, but not many times. Then I guess I summoned against some Dark souls 2 DLC boss fights, because I stopped enjoying it.

valdimar

Oct 30, 2017
I'll try fighting solo at first, but I don't think it's in any way necessary to beat every boss solo.

The summoning system is there to be used and to have fun with.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I voted no because I personally prefer not to summon people, but I object to the appended "git gud". Play how you wanna play.

Git gud is maybe the stupidest phrase in gaming. I have no idea why people would remotely care how others played a game when the experience won't effect them.

"If you can't beat a game with one eye closed, one hand tied behind your back, and never healing then why even play noob!"

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Step 1 - Solo Boss
Step 2 - Invade & Pillage

I'll help friends out if asked, but I really don't enjoy Souls co-op and never summon. It's just not what these games are about for me, but it is for plenty of people, so go nuts. Gives me more invasion fodder. Hoping Elden Ring has a similar system.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with summoning, people should play like they want, but unlike what people say it is not always the easy route if you are summoning AI.

For example, summon Solaire and Lautrec for the Gaping Dragon, they both die to the rush attack due to bad AI, you are now dealing with a 200% HP Gaping Dragon by yourself.

Some bosses are just easier without summoning.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
If they didn't want me to use it or use it first playthrough, they wouldn't let me.

Sometimes this feels like, "only real players don't use this rocket launcher." They give you it, tell you how to use it, give you ammo for it...use it.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Sunbroing is my fav Dark Souls activity. Fun to go back and grind out bosses while helping other players.

I do all bosses solo at first, but if I get too stuck or frustrated, I summon halp

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only summon when I'm lazy. Like Ive summoned twice in my entire soulsborne gaming bc the game at that moment was dragging.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I generally always solo these games.

I did summon for Ornstein and Smough on my second playthrough of Dark Souls. I remember that fight being particularly difficult on my first solo playthrough and didn't feel like going through that again.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Summons are the best. It's also one of the best co op experiences this generation (not referring to the actual process because let's be real...it's so counterintuitive when you should be able to just send Inv).

But that and then adding in invasions? And these invasions could be multiple enemies so you essentially have a lobby of 4+ people trying to riposte lol. It's fun.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
When I absolutely can't be bothered and just want to clear the stage. Usually in subsequent playthroughs though.

Bloodborne was the only one I never summoned. I think was because of the penalty.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's depends. I got through all of Bloodborne for instance without using a single summon. But there was at least one boss in every DS game that'd I require a summon. But generally I'd attempt the boss several times before resorting to summoning.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
It's really fun to be summoned though. I often try to show people around if they appear new to the area while not helping them too much. I'm glad it's in the game.

Also recommend a low level run with a friend. Ds3 was great playing together, especially the dlc.
Ah, it's definitely a really fun system. I just think I'd potentially ruin the experience by summoning on my first playthrough. Destroying bosses after getting destroyed for a while myself is the best feeling.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I play a boss 5 times. If I am not remotely close to beating it, I summon because I don't have the time to keep trying.

I play the bulk of the game solo minus a difficult boss.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the hardest bosses, I feel like there's no winning. As even once I clear them, I can be frustrated. But, I do feel summons make like, all the bosses super easy.

I don't think it's a problem to do so, I just don't like to. Either it's a challenge, or a steamroll. And I'm too freaking stubborn to run the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't summon at all my first time through Dark Souls, but the game still places an emphasis on cooperation that, even with the isolation the game makes you feel, I still think you can experience much of what makes the game so great.

Just play how you want to play. You might miss out on some of the mechanics that make some of the bosses so engaging if you beat it on your first try though. If you're playing without friends, at least give it a try or two on your own and see what you can do

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's pretty clear that when you have summoned help for bosses, they bug out or have absolutely no skillsets to handle more than one person attacking them at once. That should be your big tip-off that even if it's supported, it's designed to be a solo experience.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
You know you have to go back, right? As I had for Kalameet in DS. It just stays with you, aren't you feeling a bit... hollow?
I did go back on a new mage playthrough. He fucked me thoroughly, then I summoned and still lost. Then I uninstalled and replayed 1.

Fume Knight is my favorite boss in the series.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the option for "do what you want"? My first time through Souls games I don't summon, I want to do it on my own but I don't blame people for summoning if they want to. Drives me nuts watching someone play and having all the comments bitching about s/he summoning.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
NPC I summon for certain bosses (like witch with 4 kings) that just destroy me on certain builds lol...other players basically never (but I'll let myself be summoned)

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Solo everything on first playthrough, 100%. I might serve as a cooperator/phantom but I won't summon.

On replays, whether it's NG+ or making new characters, I'll sometimes summon for the fun of it. I prefer invading though
Same. The co-op just breaks the boss AI entirely making them a joke usually. It's not really fun to get shots in while the boss circles around too confused to do anything.

Oct 3, 2019
I won't be satisfied beating a boss unless it's solo. Summoning was cool in Demon's and DS1 because of the novelty, but once that wore off I got tired of it. Same with PvP.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I solo, while I help others in need. I will summon NPC however, since I like to play partially blind, and don't want to miss out on certain quest/item... Also some NPC summon is for story reasons.

I enjoy that hard-earned victory by slowly learning the boss/challenge by trial and error -also enjoy not being judged for running/dying-, but I have no qualms with people enjoying summons -I get souls out of it as well-.