• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Summon?

• Yes

Votes: 369 44.8%
  • No - Git Gud

Votes: 409 49.7%
  • Add Easy mode

Votes: 45 5.5%

• Total voters

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I should try a mod like that. The best part of every Souls game for me is that moment in the second half of the game when I'm over leveled and that I litterally wreck everything in 2 hits.
I remember Bloodborne especially. Base game, nothing could stop me. Even the true final boss, I was like level 110 (first run, no NG+) it was so easy, I loved it. They needed to hit me like 10 times in a row to kill me. DLC was hard though lol

If you're interested, it's called the "Comfort Mod" by ss7877 on NexusMods (uploaded on May 4, 2020), but you need to put Steam in offline mode otherwise you'll get banned.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm currently playing this for the first time and I haven't touched multiplayer. Summoning honestly feels like cheating, going by some of the videos I've watched.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't believe in a single objectively correct way to play a game, so I'm fine with people approaching it either way.

Personally I like to do no summons for my first playthrough.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
No summons first time through. I will offer my sign for people who need it once I clear an area/boss.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I'll add a 4th option. Buddy up with my friends and turn Dark Souls into RE5 coop mayhem. TBH, it's one of the best coop games ever too!

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Only time I summoned for a boss in a From's game was Shadows of Yharnam because I thought 3x1 wasn't fair. Otherwise I just try to git gud until I beat the damn boss.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't feel strongly for or against. I've done summon runs, summonless runs, NPC only runs, etc.

It's a game mechanic, one justified by lore and narrative, use it if you like, or don't! That's also justified.

Everyone should invade, though.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I do not summon in my first playthroughs. I like to "git gud" and beat the game by myself. On subsequent playthroughs, I will summon, but mostly for PVP shenanigans and very rarely for bosses. I don't mind if people summon, regardless of what playthrough they are on. I always like to be a Sunbro and be summoned to assist people. On some play sessions, I'll just drop my sign and be summoned the whole time.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's a part of the game. I summon when I feel it's necessary. If a boss gives me trouble, I'll summon to get through it. There's a reason it costs valuable resources to summon in Dark Souls games (not so much in Bloodborne, but even there I think it's justified).
I never summoned in Sekiro, but every other Soulsborne game I love to summon. It's nice to have an ally or two!
Hmm.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the bosses on my own first. I like the challenge, and it's useful for when I help with said boss. Subsequent runs, I summon more often than not. There's no right or wrong way of going about it though. Whatever you prefer.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Solo always. I just enjoy doing it myself, and I don't like playing with others so it works out. Also play offline because invasions ruin the flow of the game for me.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Summon if one is struggling I say. There's no shame in that. If a boss is too hard and hampering one's enjoyment of the game, I don't see why not. It's been a while since I played DS on 360 but I did summon a player for Ornstein and Smough. Then I proceeded to help out other players defeat Ornstein and Smough. But I never steamrolled the boss for other players since that defeats the purpose. I liked to hang back and help out from time to time but that's it.

I've also summoned NPC phantoms in Bloodborne with a few exceptions. Otherwise, I've solo'ed almost every boss.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't summon, but I encourage everyone who wants to to do so. I do absolutely enjoy getting summoned though. It's a risk free way to just tackle a boss and help a stranger out. Sunbro at heart.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've finished the games both ways. I think there are fights that summoning makes a lot easier but it's not cheating in my view. Sometimes summoning makes things worse, like Defiled Amygdala.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't mind summoning but it kinda removes the satisfaction when defeating a boss, so I'll always try to solo first.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed but I summon on like every fight....

Someday I'll do it all no summon!

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Summons make bosses easier, but co-op can still be a fun experience in its own right, and can help people get past certain bosses when they're really stuck. It's a great mechanic all around.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I never understood why the game doesn't give you a limited number of summons...that would force players to play more strategically...it would also force players to try bosses solo more times versus just giving up after a few attempts

What do you mean? You need stuff like humanity, embers, what not to summon so it is limited.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Not a single enemy in the souls series has AI made to deal with multiple targets, the games break when you summon. No summoning

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not on a first playthrough. After I beat it I'll go back in and help others via summoning though.

quibbler

Nov 11, 2017
It doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. If you enjoy the company then, by all means, play the games with your friends and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Personally, I prefer to go solo on my 1st playthrough. Afterwards, I may summon some friends to re-play the game on higher difficulties with them or look online for players who need help.

Mar 19, 2020
bloodbornes amygdala in the chalice dungeons is harder in coop from my experience. Tried it with 2 players who were definitely better at the game than me and it was damn near impossible at times. Managed to do it solo though.

I like summoning. I like helping and getting help in such bleak worlds.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't summon often, but I love being summoned, specially by people going through an area for the first time. It's a part of the game and anyone who thinks less of others for summoning during their first time needs to chill.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer not to summon, just don't enjoy the gameplay if you take away the need to do the dance with an enemy and can just hack at their back for a bit.

But obviously my hand is forced some times when NPC storylines require summons.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Every game in the series I played through with summoning first.

Not boss summoning, full blown co-op with friends through the areas. Play every area 2-3 times.

I prefer the games solo even then. I get more of a chance to appreciate the lore, environments, etc. Don't think there's really anything wrong with the gameplay in multiplayer though.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I like to offer a hand when I can. Sometimes it harder than it should be based of weapon level and all that.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if you aren't skilled enough to win without some help, go ahead. that's why the option exists. i never understood the outcry for an "easy mode" in dark souls when you can summon people into your game for help

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Summoning and being summoned is really fun for me. On the bosses that I enjoyed/was well-suited to counter, I'd spend hours just being summoned by others.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
67r69XM.jpg

May 19, 2020
I never understood why the game doesn't give you a limited number of summons...that would force players to play more strategically...it would also force players to try bosses solo more times versus just giving up after a few attempts
The developers clearly want the summons to be an equalizer for less skilled players or fun aspect of the game for those who enjoy cooperating, to say nothing of the reward structure for helping other players. This is not complicated, not every feature in Souls needs to be some form of soul-crushing misery.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Solo, because the challenge is what I buy the game for. Will summon on replays. It's not a more legit thing, it's a do you want to tackle this challenge and handle it. The summon is very much the games opt out of certain challenges.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I typically don't summon, but I will every so often. Moreso I like to be summoned and help people murder red scumbags and get through the area.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no because I personally prefer not to summon people, but I object to the appended "git gud". Play how you wanna play.