• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
Playing on the One X, and I upgraded the Occult Club to +5 but didnt' get the Occult Weapon achievement. My internet was acting up so I happened to be offline when this happened but that shouldn't matter, right? When I was back online I tried dropping and picking it up again but I'm still not getting it.

Nevermind. It finally just appeared in my profile even though I never got the popup.

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I instinctively attacked Domhnall, thinking he was an enemy... how fucked am I?
Well...

If you killed him, you can't get the boss armor sets, as that's his only major deal. If you just aggroed him then absolve your sins through Oswald over in the Bell Tower.

I really hope bad things happen to whoever designed Blighttown. And those little firedog things are the devil. I should hoof it back to the blacksmith so I can level up my Iaito or Falchion, but it's such a slog. Need fast travel between bonfires...

Still hooked though.

veins.gif
I'd recommend, if you can, you get to Blighttown via Valley of Drakes. It makes it much easier.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
You can deagro NPCs paying to the dude in the Parish, after the gargolyes room.
Well...

If you killed him, you can't get the boss armor sets, as that's his only major deal. If you just aggroed him then absolve your sins through Oswald over in the Bell Tower.
Oh, well at least I can fix it. He's not dead yet.

Wow... got lost in the Depths... then got invaded... then got cursed... then attacked a helpful NPC... now I have to remember how the hell I'm supposed to get out of here. Good stuff.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This game seems much easier than I remember it. Got past Capra and Gaping Dragon with no issue. Still hate Blighttown though, but at least it's in 60 FPS lol

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The game does look a lil darker IMO , but I like it. So much for the "OMG so bright!!" talk.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
i can´t believe it, killed Kalameet on the second try .-) when i played the game back then i had major problems with him

That 60fps magic!
I admit it, I used to "turtle" a lot in my first playthrough back on the 360. Full Havel armor and my trusty Zweihander turned my char into a walking wrecking ball. This time around I'm doin' it naked (well, whatever the Deprived class is wearing) with only a Claymore and it works nicely. :D

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I picked the Knight class to start with and my roll is practically useless, should I put points into End or find lighter armor?

Yeah, I'd increase endurance some and get a certain ring that boosts your load weight.

it's Havel's ring and it's found by killing Havel at the bottom of the tower where the taurus demon was fought. Easy access with the master key.

I personally give up enough weight to do the medium roll for poise since it's pretty valuable in this game.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yeah, I'd increase endurance some and get a certain ring that boosts your load weight.

it's Havel's ring and it's found by killing Havel at the bottom of the tower where the taurus demon was fought. Easy access with the master key.

I personally give up enough weight to do the medium roll for poise since it's pretty valuable in this game.
Yea I went down that tower but there was an NPC there that absolutely wrecked me, I think I'm too low level to take him on. I was on full health and blocking and he killed me with one hit.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I just cancelled my Switch preorder. Playing through Prepare to Die on PC right now while this community is super active.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I went down that tower but there was an NPC there that absolutely wrecked me, I think I'm too low level to take him on. I was on full health and blocking and he killed me with one hit.
That's him. Back steps fuck him up, but there are also ways to cheese him you can find online.

Or...go naked. No need for a ring if you wear no clothes.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Backstab, Backstab, Backstab, Backstab.... he's easy to fish for backstabs. Just unequip gear to fast roll behind him.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yea I went down that tower but there was an NPC there that absolutely wrecked me, I think I'm too low level to take him on.

That's him lol. What loadout are you using? I'm using Zweihander and got him early. I used the stairs and baited him to attack. His attack is easy to roll back away from and I hit him with a heavy overhead slash, rinse and repeat.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can do him at level 1 "easily", his attacks are VERY telegraphed and you can just run around him for a backstab. Even chain backstab with practice. It just takes a while.

Havel ring and FaF ring are pretty much BiS if you don't want to think too much. 40 endurance plus these rings means you can fast roll with decent armor.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really never bothered with online before for pretty much this exact reason.

Whatever though. Finally beat O&S as a poiseless light-armored cartwheeling dex scrub.
Yeah. The reason it was a common invasion point was because it was one of the notorious sections for summoning help given the bosses.

Got killed many times by invaders there why trying to summon Sunbro lol.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
You can upgrade your armor and just tank it, a fully upgraded Elite Knight set allows you to tank pretty much anything, atleast on NG. On NG+ that doesn't work, fastroll or die.
That's him. Back steps fuck him up, but there are also ways to cheese him you can find online.

Or...go naked. No need for a ring if you wear no clothes.
Backstab, Backstab, Backstab, Backstab.... he's easy to fish for backstabs. Just unequip gear to fast roll behind him.
That's him lol. What loadout are you using? I'm using Zweihander and got him early. I used the stairs and baited him to attack. His attack is easy to roll back away from and I hit him with a heavy overhead slash, rinse and repeat.
You can do him at level 1 "easily", his attacks are VERY telegraphed and you can just run around him for a backstab. Even chain backstab with practice. It just takes a while.

Havel ring and FaF ring are pretty much BiS if you don't want to think too much. 40 endurance plus these rings means you can fast roll with decent armor.
Thanks for the replies, I haven't really gotten the hang of back stabbing yet, but I'll give it a try anyway. I'm still using the Knight sword and armor that I started the game with.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
new dark souls 1 player here. Any general tips I should know going into this one. I've beaten DS2, DS3, and Bloodbourne

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
As everyone said, you can fish him easily.

However, you can parry him pretty easily as well. And if that doesn't work, just bring some alluring souls. He'll go over to them and then you can backstab. But make sure you have a decent weapon or you'll either be there for a while or run outta alluring souls.

Or just summon someone to help. I'd be down if you have the Xbox One version.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning a seventh Dark Souls purchase for my Switch but I simply cannot go back to 720p/30fps now. The infusion of new & returning players has been fantastic as well.

My main reason was "portable souls" but I already feel like it's going to be super hard to control accurately using the joycons.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I decided to take the plunge and risk the covenant thingy. I made a USB backup save just in case.

I can not only freely switch covenant at bonfires (awesome), but I can even give the Lordvessel to Frampt and still remain in the Darkwraith covenant. Last night, after killing
S&O and obtaining the LV, I:
- switched to Forest Hunter at the bonfire;
- got 3 kills as Forest Hunter to get the Ring of Fog (Alvina wasn't mad at all), bought some gear from Shiva in Blighttown;
- warped to the Fair Lady bonfire, joined Chaos Servant covenant, turned in 30 humanities (had 50 from all that invading lol), THANK YOU SATAN for the mass-delivery of covenant items!), killed Ceaseless, opened the Izalith shortcut door;
- joined Darkwraith back at the bonfire;
- spoke to Frampt and delivered the Lordvessel.

Note: I didn't do any betrayal of the covenants, such as killing Forest NPCs, or going back to the Abyss and talking to Kaathe after delivering the LV (I dunno if he'd be mad or consider this a betrayal, but I had no reason to return there so I didn't).

Then after that I tested again and I could switch freely between all the covenants at no penalty, beyond maybe resetting "rank" which I don't care about 'cause I already got the loot/rewards I wanted. And I can still use Frampt to feed him stuff. Cool? Cool.

I killed Shiva and his bodyguard in Blighttown for the flip ring and Iron Shield, because I wasn't sure if they'd disappear if I left the Forest Hunters.
Oh, there you go. I bet you if you pay the fine at Oswald's, you'll be fine.

Blighttown is a fantastically designed area, one of the best in the game. Exploring it is so rewarding.
Agreed!

Invaders are the scum of the earth.

Who the fuck invades in the area right before O&S?
Who doesn't?

...In all seriousness, though, invaders lose their souls/humanity into a bloodstain if they die as an invader, so most of them will use the Red Orb around bonfires for easy bloodstain retrieval (fortunately invader spawn points are still random). The bonfire after the archers is a great spot to use the orb and can spawn you fairly near the boss so it's no surprise really.

Alright, enemy aggression levels could not have been this high in the original. I don't recall ghosts literally floating through the length of the level in an unholy congregation to stunlock me into a wall on the other side of the map.
Oh, I think they did. I think it's just that the draw distance is better now, so you do see them coming from a distance, but before then they just kinda came out of nowhere.

Whatever though. Finally beat O&S as a poiseless light-armored cartwheeling dex scrub.
Nice. Best kinda build. <3

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alright, enemy aggression levels could not have been this high in the original. I don't recall ghosts literally floating through the length of the level in an unholy congregation to stunlock me into a wall on the other side of the map.

They most certainly did. Or at least they did ~a year ago when I did my last playthrough.

Blighttown gets a lot of flack, but New Londo Ruins is the absolute worst area in the game imo.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Of the 11 bosses I have faced, 9 I first tried, only 2 I needed multiple tries. I am shocked. I didn't expect this at all. I ran into the same astonishment in Demons Souls when I first played that a couple of months back.

1st Tried:
Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Capra Demon
Moonlight Butterfly
Queelag, Chaos Witch
Pinwheel
Iron Golem
Crossbreed Priscilla

Multiple Tries:
Gaping Dragon
Stray Demon

The difficulty I expect to ante up immensely. At SL 60, working on a strength build while keeping my endurance and vitality at the same stat as my strength. Wielding axes except this neat Gravelord Sword I put +2 on. Wonder if I go for the Great Axe, I have 30 strength so I am close to it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My friend does not understand my love of the depths, it may be my favourite area of DS1, am I alone here? it's a great encapsulation of the Lordran experience.

I think the diversity of environments in Darks Souls easily puts it over the top. I loved the thrill of discovering each new environment as I worked my way through DS1...something that Bloodborne never managed to do for me. Every area sorta blended together for me, so much so that I have difficulty remembering any of them.
This is the main thing that I give DS2, that game is like an adventure and a half due to its sheer variety and volume of locales, regardless of some illogical placements.
I actually always found BB's map to be most similar to DS1 in consistent theming, perhaps not quite as varied but I guess it doesn't help that an area like Cainhurst is optional and easily missable.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
To anyone in the darkmoon covenant - are you guys getting worlds to invade pretty often? I'm planning on joining that once I get to Anor Londo.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not loving the combat system in this game. They really stepped their game up with DS2 and later games in that respect. I loved playing UGS in DS2/3, but in DS1 their limited moveset is really putting a damper on my fun :/ Should probably switch to another sword type. And here I was hoping to continue my Monhun x Souls run.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My friend does not understand my love of the depths, it may be my favourite area of DS1, am I alone here? it's a great encapsulation of the Lordran experience.

The Depths is one of the game's strongest areas imo. It's that good kind of maze where it's initially pretty intimidating and disorientating, but then you feel like a boss for learning to navigate it. Gaping Dragon is a decent boss and the basilisk trap is very memorable.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Non-hot take list of bad areas in the game:

- Lost Izalith
- Tomb of Giants
- Demon Ruins
- Lower Undead Burg

And I think that's it. The game has always been a bit frontloaded with good content, but the majority of areas is really good. Bloodborne and DaS 3 are certainly more consistent though.