• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I had made it past Taurus Demon without dying yet, and I'm feeling like this game is a lot easier than I remember. Haven't played through it again in 5 or 6 years. I remember spending many lives at first even just getting past some of the soldiers in Undead Burg, but now I can just flow around them with ease. I guess this is what it's like when you become a veteran at Souls, having played all of them.

However, a Black Knight finally did me in shortly after, as I was trying to flee and he got me on the smash. I do think the game will get a bit harder, as the Undead burg does feel sort of like a training ground for what is to come.

Anyway, feels good to play. And the game doesn't feel "slow" or "janky" like some people say after playing Bloodborne and DS 3. I feel right at home actually, and the rolling and the response feel snappy.

I chose wanderer as my starting character. Decided to try something I haven't chosen yet.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
The PS4 version is my 2nd playthrough (1st was on my old 360) and man, what a difference parrying makes!

In my first playthrough I used to just trade blows when fighting Black Knights, Silver Knights, Havel, NPCs and red phantoms, and Gwyn. Now, I parry their every swing and sink my blade in their chests. Parry timing is quite generous in this game, there's no need to stick to a small shield.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Man I'm sitting on the fence pretty hard on this one. Thinking ab getting it for the X, but I know I'll be getting it for the Switch whenever it releases. Plus I've already beaten the original release (and own it digitally).

Anyone else similarly saturated? Any regrets?

This was the fifth and sixth time I have purchased Dark Souls:

2x on 360
1x on PS3
1x on PC
1x X1X
1x PS4 Pro

The 1800p @ 60 fps is a complete game changer and I cannot go back to 30 fps again. I doubt I am buying for my Switch now.

Oh and I have zero regrets...

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2x on 360
1x on PS3
1x on PC
1x X1X
1x PS4 Pro

The 1800p @ 60 fps is a complete game changer and I cannot go back to 30 fps again. I doubt I am buying for my Switch now.

I hear some accounts of the remaster on PC "feeling" better than the Durante patched version on PC. Anyone else chime in on that?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Just discovered you can't poison mist through the Izalith shortcut when you're a summon. Wanted to save Solaire for people, feels bad.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hear some accounts of the remaster on PC "feeling" better than the Durante patched version on PC. Anyone else chime in on that?
Well, DSfix reportedly couldn't hit 60fps everywhere. The remaster's performance is rock solid. Also, you can natively adjust graphics options, and there's a different motion blur (that can be turned off).

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA

2x on 360
1x on PS3
1x on PC
1x X1X
1x PS4 Pro

Thanks, I'll probably take the leap. Tempted to buy it digital on the X so I'll always have the best console version here on out.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking CRAZY. Neat as all hell. There being a lil piece of Boletaria in there is cool too. I wonder if there's any other cool new unused files in the Remastered build. Would be cool if they dropped another debug build...
Honestly Demon's and Dark Souls are so damn similar it almost feels like a very dedicated fan could port it themselves lol.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I almost forgot that bed of chaos is basically the worst boss ever put into a video game.

I must've used up all my positive mojo getting past the Anor Archers first time and not having any beef with S&O.
So after lord vessel business I decided I would do the cesspit that is the demon ruins/lost izalith first instead of last for a change, after all I'm rocking a pyromancer this time so plodding around the swamps and such worked for leveling the flame and grabbing the pyro spells. Plus I wanted my thorn armor (and I finally got it)
Also my first time ensuring a certain chap doesn't end up with a sunlight maggot on his bonce, my dialogue reward for this was...underwhelming.

So anyway Bed of Chaos, impressively managed to to kill me in every possible way, let's run down the list.
- Upon breaking the first weakpoint, I get swept down a newly revealed hole on the way back
- Upon breaking the second weakpoint, I get nuked by a one shot eruption on the way back
- Jumping over to the final weakpoint I get swatted on the tip of my head, fortunately this has me land on the branch, result! until I get up and there's this encroaching wall of fire coming from the front I can't actually avoid, it burns me to bits whilst knocking me off for good measure
- I make the jump, literally at the tip of the branch, then ol' beddy baby must've had an itch which caused her elbow to rise up swiftly and passively nudge me right off, my response to this was a bizarre gargling noise of suppressed rage.
- Okay, made the jump, off the branch, I'm into the thicket, just gotta smack this maggot and EXPLOSION, ONE SHOT, probably the fairest death, I should not have been spinning my halberd here

Finally everything works out fine and I realise that when you add all the time spent running back to this boss fight (including the added time of that titanite demon deciding to fatally prod me in the buttocks en route one time) that I lost an hour of my life to this hot flaming mess of an encounter.
You chucklefucks added one bonfire? well since you weren't fixing this boss, maybe you could've just plonked another one by the fog gate and at least saved me the tedium.

/vent complete
Now it's only smooth sailing.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturnowl after breaking a weak point you can quit and reload to spawn outside the boss room and keep your progress. Sucks to have to do it but makes life a lot easier.
I could've fought cheese with cheese all along.
I mean that basically sums up everything about that boss.

I wonder if anyone ever summons for this guy, like send in three phantoms to attempt the dodgy jump and do the dirty work while you hang back guzzling estus and dancing around firestorms.
Also: of course you finished it already!
I'm gonna have to revisit the rest after i'm done, I've always held DS1 up as my boy, buuuuut, I do wonder if I'd hold the same opinion playing the from lineup back to back. I'm feeling like Bloodborne could be usurping the top spot.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Wow Patches is an asshat as always....

I am way off course, have yet to touch Sen's Fortress but I beat Pinwheel and have barely touched the Tomb of the Giants, which I can barely see. I got kicked by that aforementioned douchebag only to see the three paladins who I once saw now jump me for no real reason alongside some Skeleton Bed looking things that I remember from DSII. I am guessing I did something to anger or them or that they are hollowed? I can't see shit in there so I am just guessing as to what just happened. For 3 good minutes cue the Benny Hill music, I was running around. I was scared I was going to fall to my death because the place was pitchblack LMAO.

I saw the female paladin cowering in fear, hope she isn't dead. I got jumped by the Paladin bastards and those skeleton things, they ignored each other and just picked on me.

I think I am going to Sen's Fortress now LOL. I have done too much off course exploration for one day.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I could've fought cheese with cheese all along.
I mean that basically sums up everything about that boss.

I wonder if anyone ever summons for this guy, like send in three phantoms to attempt the dodgy jump and do the dirty work while you hang back guzzling estus and dancing around firestorms.
Also: of course you finished it already!
I'm gonna have to revisit the rest after i'm done, I've always held DS1 up as my boy, buuuuut, I do wonder if I'd hold the same opinion playing the from lineup back to back. I'm feeling like Bloodborne could be usurping the top spot.

Bloodborne's the GOAT. GOAT weapons, GOAT theming, GOAT 3D level design (well, there's also Metroid Prime 2). Every element of that game, large and small, is continuously firing on all cylinders to give a player an experience that effortlessly rides the line between harrowing and fuckin' badass. It's one of those rare games where the whole thing feels like it was made by a single person.

Dark 1 definitely has a raw quality about it that can be endearing. Even though it's FROM's second Souls game, it still feels like they were figuring things out in spots, and the obvious time constraints rear their ugly head in the back half. Maybe they bit off a little more than they could chew with the interconnected world. Demon's is also a bit raw in execution, but the scope of that game and how the levels fit together (or rather, don't) is ruthlessly efficient and really lends itself to a consistent experience (it helps that the combat is also snappier). Of course, BB and DS3 feel much more refined imo, from the level design to the sharper combat to even the weapon upgrade systems not being so bloated (do we really need like four different colors of titanite chunks i just need to find a regular one pls). Boss designs also get wayyyyyy better with a phased approach and allows them to evolve over the course of a fight.

If you do a replay, definitely don't skip Demon's. That level design is still wild, and while the bosses aren't the most challenging, they more than make up for it in inventiveness and variety.

Random thought - though some of Dark 1's level design is flawed, maybe I would have tolerated it better if the core mechanics were a bit more to my tastes. The combat is more sluggish than Demon's/BB/DS3, and good god is the sprint slow.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow Patches is an asshat as always....

I am way off course, have yet to touch Sen's Fortress but I beat Pinwheel and have barely touched the Tomb of the Giants, which I can barely see. I got kicked by that aforementioned douchebag only to see the three paladins who I once saw now jump me for no real reason alongside some Skeleton Bed looking things that I remember from DSII. I am guessing I did something to anger or them or that they are hollowed? I can't see shit in there so I am just guessing as to what just happened. For 3 good minutes cue the Benny Hill music, I was running around. I was scared I was going to fall to my death because the place was pitchblack LMAO.

I saw the female paladin cowering in fear, hope she isn't dead. I got jumped by the Paladin bastards and those skeleton things, they ignored each other and just picked on me.

I think I am going to Sen's Fortress now LOL. I have done too much off course exploration for one day.

Those guys are priest,
they lost hope and went hollow but the girl still have hope of her quest, Patches betrayed them and threw them to the pit because he hates the church. You can be friends with patches if you forgive him about his actions. he laters moves to the firelink shrine and the girls if you saved her moves to the church

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Those guys are priest,
they lost hope and went hollow but the girl still have hope of her quest, Patches betrayed them and threw them to the pit because he hates the church. You can be friends with patches if you forgive him about his actions. he laters moves to the firelink shrine and the girls if you saved her moves to the church
Patches ALWAYS hates Clerics, I know his schick so well. He kicked me down in 4-2 in Demons Souls and I met an important priest NPC and he hated Clerics and they hated him too, I guess that's a constant in all Souls games.

He also pulled a similar trick in DSIII so I knew to answer NO to the cleric question, still didn't know which pit he'd kick me from.

He's a DAMN good merchant and saved my ass in Demons Souls, I know well to forgive him but geez, I like his dialogue and everything, no need to sell me out for my goods like that!

Do you know if you die in there if the priestess lives by any chance? Hope I didn't ruin the quest by accident.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne's the GOAT. GOAT weapons, GOAT theming, GOAT 3D level design (well, there's also Metroid Prime 2). Every element of that game, large and small, is continuously firing on all cylinders to give a player an experience that effortlessly rides the line between harrowing and fuckin' badass. It's one of those rare games where the whole thing feels like it was made by a single person.

Dark 1 definitely has a raw quality about it that can be endearing. Even though it's FROM's second Souls game, it still feels like they were figuring things out in spots, and the obvious time constraints rear their ugly head in the back half. Maybe they bit off a little more than they could chew with the interconnected world. Demon's is also a bit raw in execution, but the scope of that game and how the levels fit together (or rather, don't) is ruthlessly efficient and really lends itself to a consistent experience (it helps that the combat is also snappier). Of course, BB and DS3 feel much more refined imo, from the level design to the sharper combat to even the weapon upgrade systems not being so bloated (do we really need like four different colors of titanite chunks i just need to find a regular one pls). Boss designs also get wayyyyyy better with a phased approach and allows them to evolve over the course of a fight.

If you do a replay, definitely don't skip Demon's. That level design is still wild, and while the bosses aren't the most challenging, they more than make up for it in inventiveness and variety.

I'm kinda holding out on a Demon's remaster at some point, my PS3 controller is borked (and while you can use a DS4 on it wired, well I'd be basically squatting right in front of a TV).
And it's an important one for me to replay because it's actually my least liked of the batch as of right now, something about it never quite clicked with me, to the point that back when Dark Souls first came out I initially wasn't on board based on my time with Demons.

DS1 definitely gets a nice kick from its interconnected world but i've noticed it mattering less to me over time and replays, despite being the main thing I use to justify it still being my fave. Bloodborne has just enough of the area linking going on with all the other positives that perhaps I can't lie to myself any longer.
Plus gothic and cosmic horror in the same game? that's the good stuff there.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I can't believe this game sometimes.

I just parry him to death. Takes awhile with an un-upgraded weapon, but it's consistent if you are good at parrying. If I start with the master key I grab the zweihander and parry->switch to 2H->riposte->switch back to 1H to repeat until dead. He only has a few different attacks and it's super consistent if you get used to watching the end of his hammer. No dodging required, just stand in one place lol.

RandomDudeSTL

Dec 5, 2017
DS1 definitely gets a nice kick from its interconnected world but i've noticed it mattering less to me over time and replays, despite being the main thing I use to justify it still being my fave. Bloodborne has just enough of the area linking going on with all the other positives that perhaps I can't lie to myself any longer.
Plus gothic and cosmic horror in the same game? that's the good stuff there.
I think the diversity of environments in Darks Souls easily puts it over the top. I loved the thrill of discovering each new environment as I worked my way through DS1...something that Bloodborne never managed to do for me. Every area sorta blended together for me, so much so that I have difficulty remembering any of them.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if you really suck at this game (like I do) then I highly recommend you follow the YouTube guide and at the very start pick up The Great Scythe, and immediately level it to +5.

Doing this makes the game vastly more playable. It took me 30 minutes, and ten deaths, to acquire this weapon, but it was worth it.

I actually defeated the gargoyle twins without summoning help - something I've never done. I did it on my first attempt too. I've always seen people bragging about certain boss fights being 'easy', but for me nothing about this game has ever been easy. I guess my equipment was wrong.

Funny though, because I consider this sort of thing to be a cheat of sorts. No way would a first time player, without a guide, ever have found The Great Scythe at the very start. I suspect that the people who have done well in this game were probably equipped with weaponry they acquired in this manner - by following a guide.

Anyhow, I'm a badass now.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, I never found this Dark Wood Grain Ring before. Guess I never bothered looking up stuff for more dextrous builds before. Now I'm flipping around like an idiot and it's amazing.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone able to equip Black Knight GS and still be able to light roll? I have 30 END, a haval ring but if I put even a decent amount of armour on, I'm fat rolling...
What armor? Try some mixing and matching, and don't be afraid of not wearing gloves or a helmet, there's not a huge penalty to not filling all armor slots like in DkS3, if you've played that. Probably want to push END up to at least 40 as well if your main weapon is gonna be that heavy.
If you have the gold hemmed black robes, it's a really good set of armor for the light weight.

What the hell, I never found this Dark Wood Grain Ring before. Guess I never bothered looking up stuff for more dextrous builds before. Now I'm flipping around like an idiot and it's amazing.
Really? It's a pretty crazy ring -- gives you more invincibility and less of a cooldown on your rolls, so if you constantly flip, you're very nearly invincible. It's not exclusive to dexterity builds though! I like to flip with giant hammers and great axes, it's hilarious

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
so I think I lost the lightning spear permanent. I killed the mimic but the drop was floating in the air where the mini elevator is at sens fortress. Pretty lame and unacceptable in the remaster to have that, other games still have the item laying there even if you die.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this last night... I forgot how easy it is to lose time playing it, especially when the stress of not knowing what's around the corner or having to complete the game is gone.

Went with Warrior with Master Key. Through Undead Asylum no problems, get to Lordran, hit the Valley of the Drakes, making a daring run to get Astora's Sword, grind a few skellie souls to boost Faith to 14 to wield it properly. I'm now mincing most things in one hit. :D Then head down to New Londo Ruins, grab a couple of Transient Curses, make a break for the Firekeeper Soul. Estus +1 yeahhhhhhh.

Playing on PC (1080p), and some of the textures are a bit not-good, also I have the Refresh Rate curse (75hz laptop screen, so had to faff with a custom resolution to get through character gen). But otherwise the Remaster is pretty good. Taking a bit of time getting used to DS1 rolling, and took an hour to set-up my Steam Controller config, but it's all good now. Just grinding some souls to buy some stuff in Undead Burg before killing the shopkeeper. :D

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I might regret buying this, but I'm loving it. It's so easy to lose track of time. Once you set a goal and go for it, hours just fly by. And then you remember something else you should do, and the cycle repeats. Also discovering areas I never did on my first playthrough, which is exciting!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Killed Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra and now I'm not sure where I should go. Cleared out the graveyard of all valuable items too. Maybe that area where the blacksmith was hammering away?

Also, this game is seriously keeping me from getting time in on Detroit, lol.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really wish I kept track of which keys I have and haven't used ;_;

Loving the game so far. My first time playing it. Though I am fresh off of Bloodborne which was absolutely brilliant. I have to admit the first hour or so was iffy, as I kept comparing it unfavorably to Bloodborne. But I've started seeing it for what it is instead of what it isn't. And there's a lot to love.

Beat the Gargoyles on first try, same with that thing near the smithy, and the butterfly. Either beginners luck I imagine or Bloodborne skills transferring. I died plenty to random guards and pigs so can't really brag haha

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I started replaying Dark Souls today after finishing up Dark Souls 2 two days ago. Immediately I had a hard time working with the non omnidirectional dodging, but it's getting better. I forgot how slow the combat is when compared to 2. Still, great game and I'm enjoying it more than 2 right now.

Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I ran into a spot in Firelink Shrine where my frame rate on base PS4 tanked hard for like a few seconds. I don't remember the exact spot, but I was just rolling around on some of those stairs and pillars and the frame rate tanked for a little. I didn't try to replicate it, but it was very noticeable when it happened.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I just parry him to death. Takes awhile with an un-upgraded weapon, but it's consistent if you are good at parrying. If I start with the master key I grab the zweihander and parry->switch to 2H->riposte->switch back to 1H to repeat until dead. He only has a few different attacks and it's super consistent if you get used to watching the end of his hammer. No dodging required, just stand in one place lol.
Yeah, parrying him with a good weapon is the one of the easiest ways.

https://boom.tv/w?v=rfd4xzwm3740g

Or, you know... you can use alluring souls and he'll go after them and you can get a backstab on ;)

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
He's easy.

Seath is blind. Get and equip slumbering ring. Run up, hit his front body 2x, run away, let him do his magic attacks and repeat

Yeah that's cool and all but it doesn't make cutting his tail much easier. In theory it's great. In practice his tail is in the ground for half the fight and he's being a dick.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Got summoned in Painted World and totally forgot the layout and kept getting lost lol.

edit: If you want a really difficult tail cut, try Kalameet.