• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, don't recall a Beatrice myself, but I guess that's it. Thanks haha

Umineko's central character is a witch called Beatrice and flowers are her symbol so I thought there might be a connection there lol. Didn't know she was a recurring figure haha.

There is a sidequest from her, if you miss her summon sign on the butterfly you miss her whole sidequest since Beatrice is the one who advanced the most on the story lore before you

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, if you give it to Kaathe, you're locked out and Frampt won't talk to you. Though, you can join Drakrwaith covenant, get the goods, leave and give the LV to Frampt. Giving the LV to either one locks you out of the other.
But you can't use the red orb if you aren't in the covenant, right?

Raknor

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Spent the past couple of hours helping people. I really didn't expect to touch the MP at all!

Sen's Fortress and the Iron Golem.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know the Beatrice in the game haha, I was talking about not recalling someone named Beatrice in Berserk. ^^

Oh, her name is schierke

137959e2e0049945ad829192defaeb6c--kentaro-miura-berserk-manga.jpg

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the updated graphics really shine during the Ornstein and Smough boss fight...after defeating Ornsteain and fighting Super Smough in phase 2 you can really see the improved lighting in Smough's lightning hammer...looks really nice now and almost has an HDR-like quality

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yes you should buy that key
i've heard people here talk about using black knight weapons on the gargoyles and im just like o_o, but i'm a souls fanatic and don't level up much

on that note, are the level restrictions still the same for playing with friends? i want to help my friend play the game, but do i still have to stay in his level range with the new password system, or can i be a low bro and still help him now?
No level restrictions when playing with a password. I Helped my level 20 buddy when I was 50.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it still worth cheesing the wyvern in the Undead Berg by shooting its tail from under the bridge? Or has that been nerfed?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the updated graphics really shine during the Ornstein and Smough boss fight...after defeating Ornsteain and fighting Super Smough in phase 2 you can really see the improved lighting in Smough's lightning hammer...looks really nice now and almost has an HDR-like quality
It's much easier to see wheel skeletons and things in the lava areas as well I think

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's a real shame that Gravelording does nothing until NG+. Considering how thin the playerbase is in NG+ compared to NG, it all feels so useless. It'd be a really cool covenant otherwise. A squandered opportunity and it's a shame the remaster didn't fix it.

Speaking of covenants and improvements, though, you can now switch covenant at the bonfire, it seems? Has anyone tested the following yet?
> Joining Darkwraith early, pre-Lordvessel
> Talking to Frampt and/or Giving Lordvessel to Frampt
> Staying in Darkwraith

Will giving the LV to Frampt piss off Kaathe and lock you out of the covenant? Additionally, could I, right now (pre-LV, haven't spoken to Frampt at all), switch between, say, Forest and Darkwraith covenants at the bonfire at no risk of being locked out of either? I don't care much about "resetting progress" in the covenants since I already donated 10 humanities to Kaathe for the Orb.)
I've gone Forest>Darkwraith, and Forest is no longer an option at the bonfire. This was done pre-LV.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I know it's been a long while since I played Dark Souls. But how in the hell do you make this jump again? I even tried jumping naked a bunch of times.

It's near the start of Undead Burg, just after the white gate.

giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
My first time playing Dark Souls properly, i managed to get past the gargoyles ring the bell, open the door by the bridge, beat the capra demon, go down to the sewers, beat the dragon and now going into the entrance of Blighttown, and already having some trouble with the monsters fat dudes and the dude that run up on you real quick and some guy shooting a toxic crossbow. how fucked am i Era

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
My first time playing Dark Souls properly, i managed to get past the gargoyles ring the bell, open the door by the bridge, beat the capra demon, go down to the sewers, beat the dragon and now going into the entrance of Blighttown, and already having some trouble with the monsters fat dudes and the dude that run up on you real quick and some guy shooting a toxic crossbow. how fucked am i Era

Toxic blowdart guys are the worst, but they don't respawn. Have you been to Darkroot yet? The enemies there drop moss, which cures Toxic.
It's not too bad an area though, especially now it's not at 15fps. Just kite the fat guys, and for the skinny ones, try to take them out 1v1, and watch out for their obviously telegraphed grab.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you found the spider shield in the sewers, equip it. It has 100% toxic block. It can be found in the sewers in the room with the giant rat that you can drop down into from the entrance behind the butcher's table (shaft is blocked by destructible objects).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I got invaded finally. Anor Londo, ofc it happens right when I'm trying to get past the f'ing archer nights, I've got but a sliver of health and dude comes up and uses some spell that kills me instantly and then waves his arms like it was a joke. No shit it was a joke, I was more than half dead at one of the most notoriously hard parts of the game. Get over it.

yes, i'm sore about it.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
Just entered blighttown for the first time. Glad there's a bonfire so close to entering. I'm gonna hate this place I feel like

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well shit! I just rescued Sieglinde and went to check the quest line online so I didn't mess it up this time. I set my controller down on the carpet and R2 must have pressed when I set the controller down. I came back I was dead and I just thought a Golem killed me. I ran back to talk to Sieglinde and she charges after me trying to kill me. So I guess off to the chapel I go. Damn it...

EDIT: LOL that was a costly stab of my Washing Pole, 30k for one thrust but we're all good now...

Last edited:

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Man, I know it's been a long while since I played Dark Souls. But how in the hell do you make this jump again? I even tried jumping naked a bunch of times.

It's near the start of Undead Burg, just after the white gate.

giphy.gif

Someone already answered this but i just wanted to say that I tried to make that jump 10-20 times earlier today.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Toxic blowdart guys are the worst, but they don't respawn. Have you been to Darkroot yet? The enemies there drop moss, which cures Toxic.
It's not too bad an area though, especially now it's not at 15fps. Just kite the fat guys, and for the skinny ones, try to take them out 1v1, and watch out for their obviously telegraphed grab.

I have not been there..is that the uh...the forest? I think i remember seeing that over my friends house when he played years ago.

And yeah, thanks for that advice, i was really having trouble with just the initial enemies

If you found the spider shield in the sewers, equip it. It has 100% toxic block. It can be found in the sewers in the room with the giant rat that you can drop down into from the entrance behind the butcher's table (shaft is blocked by destructible objects).

I dont THINK i found it? I might have to check that room again, i dont tink i saw i shield in there, but i'll check it out, thanks man

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this semi-blind and been having an absolute blast. Just beat Quelaag, now I have to find my way back up I guess...

(Also, all the messages before Quelaag made me laugh out loud)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have not been there..is that the uh...the forest? I think i remember seeing that over my friends house when he played years ago.

And yeah, thanks for that advice, i was really having trouble with just the initial enemies

I dont THINK i found it? I might have to check that room again, i dont tink i saw i shield in there, but i'll check it out, thanks man

Yeah, that's the forest. If you've found Andre, the Undead Parish Blacksmith, it's down the stairs from him.

I've been streaming my playthrough on Twitch, but it brought up an error message earlier, and it's not saved
Sen's Funhouse or Anor Londo up to invading Lautrec. I even got the Archer's on my first go lol.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
What I love about Dark Souls and why I prefer it to any other entry is that every built is viable.

You want to play as a tank? Well you can, because armor stats aren't useless and poise actually works.
You want to play a mage? Good, because sorceries absolutely wreck.
You want to play as a Katana weilding ninja? Get some backflips in there too.

Only downside is that phantom range is still there and that the broken backstab mechanic ruins some pvp fights.
The game is still addicting like crack eventhough I already spent 300 hours on the 360 version. Fromsoft did magic with this game

Oct 25, 2017
Arrrgh, I have managed to attack a NPC at Firelink Shrine by accident. How much do I have to pay to fix this? I'm level 50

What's a good place to farm souls quickly? Hardest area I have finished so far is Darkroot Garden.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's on the ledge above the rat in that room, so search the ledge before falling down further.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I love about Dark Souls and why I prefer it to any other entry is that every built is viable.

You want to play as a tank? Well you can, because armor stats aren't useless and poise actually works.
You want to play a mage? Good, because sorceries absolutely wreck.
You want to play as a Katana weilding ninja? Get some backflips in there too.

Only downside is that phantom range is still there and that the broken backstab mechanic ruins some pvp fights.
The game is still addicting like crack eventhough I already spent 300 hours on the 360 version. Fromsoft did magic with this game
I far and away prefer this game over DS2 and DS3, but for quite different reasons.

It's just the world and the mood and the levels and the lore and how all of these shape the experience.

Going from 12 hours to ring the first bell in my first ever run to now getting to Blighttown in 5 hours, from feeling shocked when you first ride the Parish elevator to the moment you finish Sen's Fortress, what happens with Lautrec and Logan and all the others, feeling utterly, completely helpless in the mirth of Blighttown... Lordran is just special and heartfelt in a way that DS2 and 3 almost never quite managed to be.

Dark Souls just makes me care about what I'm doing beyond sitting at bonfires and chugging Estus and parrying knights and whacking away at big health bars. And that's why I love it the most.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, that's the forest. If you've found Andre, the Undead Parish Blacksmith, it's down the stairs from him.

I've been streaming my playthrough on Twitch, but it brought up an error message earlier, and it's not saved
Sen's Funhouse or Anor Londo up to invading Lautrec. I even got the Archer's on my first go lol.

Lol, all i heard before playing was that you HAVE to kill that guy, so i kinda put everything i had into killing that guy even before killing the gargoyles. Got that ring too. How useful is that throughout the game? Does it scale pretty well to various situations??

It's on the ledge above the rat in that room, so search the ledge before falling down further.

oh so its above the room. Ok gotcha

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's much easier to see wheel skeletons and things in the lava areas as well I think
About those wheel skeletons, by the way... that new bonfire is both a blessing and a curse. It's nice to have a warpable bonfire so close to the Tomb of the Giants entrance, but goddamn those fucking wheel skeletons are on you the second you take a step outside, lol.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I far and away prefer this game over DS2 and DS3, but for quite different reasons.

It's just the world and the mood and the levels and the lore and how all of these shape the experience.

Going from 12 hours to ring the first bell in my first ever run to now getting to Blighttown in 5 hours, from feeling shocked when you first ride the Parish elevator to the moment you finish Sen's Fortress, what happens with Lautrec and Logan and all the others, feeling utterly, completely helpless in the mirth of Blighttown... Lordran is just special and heartfelt in a way that DS2 and 3 almost never quite managed to be.

Dark Souls just makes me care about what I'm doing beyond sitting at bonfires and chugging Estus and parrying knights and whacking away at big health bars. And that's why I love it the most.

I absolutely agree with you but these things tend to matter less and less on each consecutive playtrough.

I was amazed by the lore back when the game came out eventhough I had to watch youtube videos to understand what was going on.
For example the two chamber maidens that were turned into these blue snake monsters at the duke archives. All the hints are there, but barely any player pays attention to such minor clues like these . No other game does things like this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Frampt talks like a Simpsons character. A mix of Homer and one of the green aliens.
OMG. Now I won't be able to unhear this. xD

I've gone Forest>Darkwraith, and Forest is no longer an option at the bonfire. This was done pre-LV.
Oh shit, good to know. Did you otherwise do anything to "betray" the Forest covenant (attack forest NPCs etc.)?

I vaguely recall, in the original game, that if you switched covenant, Alvina just got pissed at you and didn't let you rejoin... unless you paid Oswald. Then you could rejoin. But I'm not sure if I'm remembering right. And I'm not sure I want to risk my save to experiment... lol

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man I'm sitting on the fence pretty hard on this one. Thinking ab getting it for the X, but I know I'll be getting it for the Switch whenever it releases. Plus I've already beaten the original release (and own it digitally).

Anyone else similarly saturated? Any regrets?