• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Dear god, I hate MP in this game. Whenver I reverse the hollowing to kindle a bonfire, I instantly throw myself off the next cliff to be left alone. Invasions are nothing but a nuisance.

There is an option at the bottom of title screen to log out and play offline or you can set the game to start in offline mode in the options if the MP bothers you that much...

This is bugging me - I haven't been invaded once, spend all my time in human form. If I have gravelord signs on the ground will I not be open to invasion?

I am in the same boat. I have only been invaded once but I had a +10 weapon before I killed the Gargoyles so I did not get much co-op summons either...

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
This is bugging me - I haven't been invaded once, spend all my time in human form. If I have gravelord signs on the ground will I not be open to invasion?
There's weapon matchmaking, it's possible you're in a higher tier than normal for your area (https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/8m5z90/weapon_matchmaking_is_implemented_in_the_worst/). If you lucked into any black knight weapons or have been upgrading your pyromancy flame for example, it seems that that can really screw you over.

I'm in the exact same boat, I've been playing human as much as possible and have only been invaded once. Have had the black knight weapon drop for every black knight I've fought, am a pyromancer, and am going for a completionist run. So gg me I guess, would not have done this with my first character returning to the game if I had known any of this, would have ignored enemies like the black knights entirely.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
man, the last quarter of the game is tedious as fuck, first izalith with this concept boss that isn´t thought out and made to troll players, then the ghost stuff in new londo with the skeletor enemies, backtracking through catacombs to get to the tomb of the giants which sucks, the archives with the forced jail section..in the end it just reeks of time stretching stuff that is not interesting at all and weighs the game down....

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
man, the last quarter of the game is tedious as fuck, first izalith with this concept boss that isn´t thought out and made to troll players, then the ghost stuff in new londo with the skeletor enemies, backtracking through catacombs to get to the tomb of the giants which sucks, the archives with the forced jail section..in the end it just reeks of time stretching stuff that is not interesting at all and weighs the game down....

The only of those areas that are truly bad IMO is Lost Izalith which the devs admitted they did not have time to finish. The boss of Izalith is utter shit which has been well documented by many. I really like the Duke's Archives and New Londo's atmosphere is desolate and creepy as fuck and I can't hate on any area where I can farm my Chunks.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

there're aspects of dark souls that even a remaster isn't gonna fix, & the fact that it simply goes on too damn long is most definitely one of'm :) ...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a glitch where it hangs on the privacy policy screen? I just popped it in and it won't move past it.

edit: Holy shiz it is multiple pages.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a good boss to get summoned for at level 64? It looks like I'm too high for S&O, since I only got summoned once. I need to get the faith requirement for the Sunbros down.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017

Naaa only Lost Izalith is bad imho. I love all the other areas.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never thought I'd say this, but DS1 actually isn't as good as I remembered it. It was my game of the gen last generation but the remaster really shows how far From Software has come since then. The combat is slow and clunky with limited options. The environments are small. The game is short and it's way too easy to level up. I'm already past Anor Londo and I feel like I just started the game. DS3 and even BB feel much more vast in comparison. I'm not saying I don't like the game. I do. It's just not as special as I remember it.

If DeS ever gets this treatment, then it needs a full on remake in the BB/DS3 engine. Probably won't happen though.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's a good boss to get summoned for at level 64? It looks like I'm too high for S&O, since I only got summoned once. I need to get the faith requirement for the Sunbros down.

I'd try the DLC bosses at this point. They're an endless source of summoning. At least I assume, since it's the hardest content, and it was like that in the original. Haven't done the DLC yet.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have a good strength/faith build I can use? My friend has never touched magic and wants to try that build.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's weapon matchmaking, it's possible you're in a higher tier than normal for your area (https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/8m5z90/weapon_matchmaking_is_implemented_in_the_worst/). If you lucked into any black knight weapons or have been upgrading your pyromancy flame for example, it seems that that can really screw you over.

I'm in the exact same boat, I've been playing human as much as possible and have only been invaded once. Have had the black knight weapon drop for every black knight I've fought, am a pyromancer, and am going for a completionist run. So gg me I guess, would not have done this with my first character returning to the game if I had known any of this, would have ignored enemies like the black knights entirely.

Why they gotta do all of this bullshit.

Suppose it's a good thing I didn't upgrade my BKH all the way. Been upgrading it at a steady pace as I progress and I've gotten plenty of invasions and coop activity.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So to rock a STR-heavy build this time around, I got the Claymore as was advised and it's great fun. Not as cumbersome as the Zweihander but still plenty powerful and quite fun. Paired it with the Grass Crest Shield to get in some extra parries.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If hackers join your game and messes you up, does it only affect the character you're using or if you create a new character are you essentially fresh?

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Aww, they nerfed cheesing the wyvern under the bridge? Well, that was thirty minutes, 300 arrows and a fair few souls i'll never get back.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers for replies - my pyro flame is about +12 and my beloved Uchigatana is + 5 so could be that. Weirdly, I'm able to co-op really easily and I've never had any invasions, even before doing my pyro so it's still odd. Also, never got invaded when playing it on PC but I thought that might be due to a small player base when I got round to it.

Might be a really dumb question but it couldn't be anything to do with my Internet? I can invade and co-op with ease, so I'm guessing not!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
there're aspects of dark souls that even a remaster isn't gonna fix, & the fact that it simply goes on too damn long is most definitely one of'm :) ...

yeah the last steps make it seem like the game just don´t want to end .-) i mean it´s personal preference but in hindsight the last quarter really soured me a little on the game, didn´t thought so when i played it the first time but now with the remaster the bad spots of the game really show their ugly face more then a few years ago. it is a little obvious that budget was running thin for them, i think with Anor Londo the game takes a false turn into too much time stretching stuff just for the sake of making a "epic" feeling adventure which isn´t so epic as it seems

i am tempted to replay DS2 after this, i never played the Sotfs version, only the normal one. i could swear that from a variety aspect it is the better game than the first game, there was a little too much unwarranted hate when it released like "da fuck, where is my interconnected world, why are there bonfires in dead ends?" or "what is with dem graphics, it looks shitty" but fuck me if it isn´t the more "rounder" experience in comparison to DS1...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never thought I'd say this, but DS1 actually isn't as good as I remembered it. It was my game of the gen last generation but the remaster really shows how far From Software has come since then. The combat is slow and clunky with limited options. The environments are small. The game is short and it's way too easy to level up. I'm already past Anor Londo and I feel like I just started the game. DS3 and even BB feel much more vast in comparison. I'm not saying I don't like the game. I do. It's just not as special as I remember it.

If DeS ever gets this treatment, then it needs a full on remake in the BB/DS3 engine. Probably won't happen though.
If you feel dark souls is super short and not as good as you remember Idk why you would want demon souls remastered. Game is the shortest if the bunch and has as many problems as dark souls does.

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly done. For now.

I still love this game and have really enjoyed revisiting it so far, but I can never seem to shake the dissapointment from all those years ago when coming from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

To me, it was like going from Resident Evil 4 to Resident Evil 5.

A fantastic game, but not anywhere close to the game that come before it.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Anyone on PC in need of jolly co-op? All bosses except Gwyn are defeated in my world so I can help with anything, I just wanna farm some souls before going into NG+.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I platinumed and Solo'ed all bosses in my first PS3 run. This time, I'm doing more jolly co-op since the community is more active than when I started playing DS1 last generation. It's also really fun. I don't need to prove anything. Nor do I care for SL1 runs or speed runs. I just wanna have fun playing Souls again.

However, the quality of co-op is rather weak. Most of the online phantoms die at bosses, leaving me to pick up the scraps with the higher health pool. I can handle it, but kinda kills the fun of co-op. I mean, many are dying on easy ass bosses like the Spider Boss. I guess there are a lot of new folks playing too.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried going back to GoW combat after this and it feels clunky. Dark Souls really obliterates every other game. I love it. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I R1'd myself off the edge of the hydra lake, went back and did it again. Didn't even pick up my souls because I figured I couldn't make that mistake again

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to help people with gaping dragon and they're making things way harder than they need to be by summoning solaire.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
What do I need to do to invade players? I'm still early maybe. I've rang the first bell and killed the moonlight butterfly

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoooo I started a Pyro run for kicks and the Black Knight Sword dropped for me, damn

...it also requires a million levels to even wield. But heck, I'm one-handing this bad boy

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It used to be possible to shoot the wyvern from under the bridge and kill it (after you've got the tail). It didn't seem to be working and according to the wiki, the game was patched to stop it working.
What? How else are you supposed to get the Drake Sword early in game now? There's no point in getting it later in the game.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute... am I supposed to kill Lautrec at the firelink shrine. This is the guy sitting down on the grass in the gold armour?

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute... am I supposed to kill Lautrec at the firelink shrine. This is the guy sitting down on the grass in the gold armour?

You CAN, but if you leave him be it will lead to a mini quest of sorts (some NPCs have their own side stories you can complete)

People who've already done his quest in past playthroughs will sometimes kill him right away for his ring

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Question about kindling. I offered humanity and got 10 Estus. Does this mean I'll always have 10 now or just this once?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kill him now for a ring that boots a few stats minimally at this point and disappears forever if you ever remove it. Or get the same reward a little later, plus 2 otherwise inaccessible armour sets and a unique invasion quest. The choice is yours.

Don't kill him

So is Lautrec going to insta-die if I take a swing at him - or is he going to get up and fight? What happens if I lose the fight?
Any NPC will take 2 or 3 hits before they aggro, then will attack you. If he kills you, you just die as normal, but he stays aggro'd.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is Lautrec going to insta-die if I take a swing at him - or is he going to get up and fight? What happens if I lose the fight?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

In Firelink? He will fight, but he's fairly weak. If you lose, I think you just lose the chance to get his drops.

If you don't fight him now, you can later in an invasion, AND you get more out of it (iirc it's an item required for a Trophy)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Don't kill Lautrec. It's a fun quest if you leave him alive. You'll be able to restore the bonfire in time.