• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, I have this and Detroit on their way. It is going to be a delightful weekend. I actually never beat Dark Souls 1 on PS3. I got about halfway through, but got distracted by other games. By the time I thought about going back to it, I was convinced that there'd be a PS4 remaster at some point, so I've been holding off. I still beat Dark Souls 3, but I've been itching to dive back into this one. Not looking forward to fighting Smough and Ornstein again, but what are you gonna do? Back then, I'm sure my build was ass, and I at least know what I'm doing now. Or so I tell myself.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dsrshape29u8e.png
lol

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sooo, dks ingame counts as a "blocked scene", so i cant use it together with spotify. An issue or did they really just do something as dumb as this?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh*

I'm still a relatively low level Pryromancer rocking a Longsword +2. I decide, "fuck it," I can take Havel the Rock in Darkroot Basin. I just finished cleaning up the Dark Knight down there first try, sadly I did not get the Black Knight Glaive. I proceed to confront Havel and roll through his attacks easily and repeatedly backstab his ass, it does little damage but if I keep my perfection streak going I can do this. He's got a quarter health left. Wait, why is the game seemingly chugging? "Sorry, we've lost connection time to boot you back to the main menu."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

What controller are you using? I'm using Xbox One controller with the wireless adapter. The batteries died and I changed them and the game recognized it. It also switches between kb/m and button prompts depending on what you pressed last.

Exactly what I have. I don't know, maybe it was a one time thing for me. I'll have to try again later.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have this and Detroit on their way. It is going to be a delightful weekend. I actually never beat Dark Souls 1 on PS3. I got about halfway through, but got distracted by other games. By the time I thought about going back to it, I was convinced that there'd be a PS4 remaster at some point, so I've been holding off. I still beat Dark Souls 3, but I've been itching to dive back into this one. Not looking forward to fighting Smough and Ornstein again, but what are you gonna do? Back then, I'm sure my build was ass, and I at least know what I'm doing now. Or so I tell myself.

My first build was ass, and I remember it fondly.
Gargoyle's Halberd and quelaag's fury sword mostly, with eagle shield (used to block 100% physical!). I remember farming souls so I could meet the stat requirements for the Artorias sword, and how disappointing that wound up being. Artorias weapons are good in the other games though

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting disconnected. Just got to Anor Londo. Figure it's a good time to take a break.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Lost the network connection just after the Asylum Demon, was dropped back to the menu, and now am in this loop where the game tells me the save file is corrupted over and over and over. Should have gotten the PS4 version!

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably said this already but this definitely feels better than DSFix at 60
Yup, absolutely. I understand the frustration towards what many perceive to be a pure cash grab, but for me this is easily $20 well spent. Rock solid 4k/60fps and a very active online like when the game first came out. Easily worth price of entry for that alone. Add the various QoL improvements and the imo improved lighting, and it's a no brainer. Sure the game looks different but that doesn't mean it looks worse.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Off to a smashing start.

Also, have I put the game on easy mode by choosing the Master Key? Made it to some creepy blue place next to Blighttown like ten minutes in.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, absolutely. I understand the frustration towards what many perceive to be a pure cash grab, but for me this is easily $20 well spent. Rock solid 4k/60fps and a very active online like when the game first came out. Easily worth price of entry for that alone. Add the various QoL improvements and the imo improved lighting, and it's a no brainer. Sure the game looks different but that doesn't mean it looks worse.
I think the lighting looks better overall. The motion blur looks great, although it is really poured on. I can notice more things in the distance. I don't miss the old depth of field style like I thought it would, this looks better than even really high res DoF with PTD/DSFix.
I keep messing with the brightness, feel like I can't see shit in some places where I could before, might just be my monitor though

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna buy this tonight, I made it to Sen's Fortresses on the 360 as mainly magic. Not sure what to do this time, maybe a great sword type build? Anyone have some ideas ?

Oct 25, 2017
Off to a smashing start.

Also, have I put the game on easy mode by choosing the Master Key? Made it to some creepy blue place next to Blighttown like ten minutes in.

Don't use that Blighttown skip on your first playthrough, you'll miss a lot of fun if you do. Other than that, I think the master key will only make it more fun, and some times harder. Not easy mode at all.

I am gonna buy this tonight, I made it to Sen's Fortresses on the 360 as mainly magic. Not sure what to do this time, maybe a great sword type build? Anyone have some ideas ?
If you want to go with a Greatsword, you can get the Claymore really early, and it'll carry you through the whole game. It's a very fun weapon, one of my favorites.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
So, I finished the original game when it was released on pc, mouse and keyboard, no ds fix, and no internet help (Actually didn't even play the DLC since I didn't want to look up how to access it) . Didn't understand much but had an absolute blast, one of the best experiences I've ever had playing videogames. Later I realized how much of the game I missed.
Just played for like 30 minutes with a Switch Pro Controller, much better this way. I've got one question though, the cleric in firelink shrine asked me 800 souls to prove my faith and I answered no (Since I didn't have any) but now he rejects me if a ask him again. Did I mess up? Or will he accept the 800 souls later?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to use mostly melee this time, 27strength/40 dexterity is a good build that will let you use a majority of the non-magic weapons in the game (while two handed), basically just leveling strength and dexterity keeping in mind that your strength scales when you two hand a weapon (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/strength)
But strength builds are my favorite in these games. Weapons like the Large Club, Great Sword, Zweihander, Black Knight Great Axe. You will want to get lots of endurance

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I can't get the PC version to do full screen windowed mode at 4K.

It will do 1440 fine but stops around there. It's like it's grayed out. Maybe gonna check the DSR settings and see if turning that on fixes it but right now, I can't get OBS to record unless I do borderless window and set it to display capture. Otherwise, it's just a black screen in OBS.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I remember now why people hate the Capra demon. Enter fog gate and get obliterated in first step...not even a chance to do anything lol

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the PC version to do full screen windowed mode at 4K.

It will do 1440 fine but stops around there. It's like it's grayed out. Maybe gonna check the DSR settings and see if turning that on fixes it but right now, I can't get OBS to record unless I do borderless window and set it to display capture. Otherwise, it's just a black screen in OBS.
Is your desktop set to 4K? Borderless won't go above your desktop resolution.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Don't use that Blighttown skip on your first playthrough, you'll miss a lot of fun if you do. Other than that, I think the master key will only make it more fun, and some times harder. Not easy mode at all.

I know there's no real consensus on this but I always strongly suggest people not take the key on their first play through. Opening doors willy nilly makes it easy to go to harder areas before you're ready, and I feel like you miss out on a lot of the cool "Holy shit, these areas are connected!?" moments. Once you already know the map it's great to do stuff like get favorite armor sets and weapons as soon as possible, but it's better suited for replays.

But yeah, playing with it is like the opposite of easy mode, the maps likely to be more confusing since you'll have more options of places to go at any given point and it would be easy to wander into a later area and not know whether it's hard because you're under-leveled or inexperienced.

Oct 25, 2017
I miss bonfire warping. Having to walk from The Demon Ruins all the way through Blighttown to get to firelink was murder.

Gotta kill O&S asap.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've had a problem with all souls games is the sound that some metal/chain armors make while walking. It is mixed way too high, and hits a certain treble range that hits my ear right where nails on a chalkboard does.

Is there a mod to reduce the volume of armor noise while walking?

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One thing I've had a problem with all souls games is the sound that some metal/chain armors make while walking. It is mixed way too high, and hits a certain treble range that hits my ear right where nails on a chalkboard does.

Is there a mod to reduce the volume of armor noise while walking?
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1359/

For the PtD edition obviously not for the new one.

It's only the torso armor that makes noise. Since it's the heaviest of the 4 armor parts I tend to wear light torso armor for fast rolling.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

If you want to go a little exotic you can rush the Catacombs, make an easy jump, and get the
Gravelord
sword using the secret method. Otherwise, the Zweihander is literally a couple stamina bars from the Firelink bonfire and makes nearly everything obsolete from start

Also I went down to the hollow and there were corpse and basilisk shadows baked into nearly every branch and root. Methinks something in the new lighting may be a little broken as fuck

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's no real consensus on this but I always strongly suggest people not take the key on their first play through. Opening doors willy nilly makes it easy to go to harder areas before you're ready, and I feel like you miss out on a lot of the cool "Holy shit, these areas are connected!?" moments. Once you already know the map it's great to do stuff like get favorite armor sets and weapons as soon as possible, but it's better suited for replays.

But yeah, playing with it is like the opposite of easy mode, the maps likely to be more confusing since you'll have more options of places to go at any given point and it would be easy to wander into a later area and not know whether it's hard because you're under-leveled or inexperienced.
Agree with this

Chekhonte

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There are a lot of small surprises like this in the remaster. Silver Knights look like they could be from a newer game.

Chekhonte

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does anybody know why the Steam version got released early? I appreciate it but it's odd.