• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Trial and error is objectively bad game design in my opinion. You only know the tells until after the game kills you. In general FROM does a terrible job conveying it's game mechanics to the players. Once you know how to play the game it's a lot more manageable and fun. Which unfortunately leads to the terrible "git gud" attitude players have.

There are few, if any, things in Souls (except 2) that you HAVE to see and die to in order to predict and react accordingly.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1 is fair, mostly.

But there are some cheap segments such as the infamous Bed of Chaos and the first time you meet Seath, where you die eventually to proceed to the Crystal Caves. Most first timers will lose their souls and humanities because of this shit. You also might get cursed while at it.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I think in general, "hard but fair" fits the series well. You'll die more to mistakes than the jank.

This is what "hard but unfair" looks like
giphy.gif

You actually can't beat that guy legit
tumblr_mm41sfMIhE1s3c183o2_400.gif

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 2 was always considered unfair by some of it's it's critiques including myself. hitboxes, enemy placements and some other things weren't very good.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I am always feeling like the game fucked me in DS2 more than any souls game because it has such janky everything. Odd hitboxes, poor enemy animations making attacks hard to read, weird out of axis rolls; you name it the game has it.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Trial and error is objectively bad game design in my opinion. You only know the tells until after the game kills you. In general FROM does a terrible job conveying it's game mechanics to the players. Once you know how to play the game it's a lot more manageable and fun. Which unfortunately leads to the terrible "git gud" attitude players have.
Aside from the (unintentionally?) hilarious contradiction in the bolded, doesn't this just boil down to "I don't like learning from defeat in games"? As far as the combat goes I think it's pretty easy to learn without dying. Keep your distance and bait the enemy into doing its attacks while you dodge so you can learn what it does. I feel like this is true for pretty much all ARPGs, there's just less leeway because you can't take a lot of damage in Dark Souls.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What I find ridiculous and unfair in From games in general is the tracking. Enemies do 90 degrees turn in air so they can hit you. The animation is weird at times.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason people hate on DS2.

If those things don't bother you, there's a lot to like about it, but I like consistency.

All of the games have bullshit things, but DS2 has by far the most of these.

There are many instances where DS2 will, for example, place you in instances with tons of enemies meant to stunlock you to death. There is one very early on in the Bastille, with another right after. It specifically traps you due to a tiny 2 drop jump you can't go back up and you have to fight two normal looking guys with swords that absolutely stun you to death, or at least most players at that level especially without something to stun the enemies back. It sucks. It's not really well sign posted and pretty much guaranteed to be learned by trial and error. I've fuckin 100%ed DS2 6 times. That's over 12 full and 6 half comprehensive playthroughs. I know this game like the back of my hand, and it's just full of these kinds of encounters. They're not hard for me, and definitely not in co-op. But solo, like most players, they most certainly are bullshit.

Whenever I see DS1 brought up to try to counter it the examples seem to be rather few. Yes, it absolutely has some dogshit moments, but most have clear ways of escaping them unharmed. Like with Demon's Souls, the philosophy seems very much to remain that some things are hard, but often there is a solution to make very doable and sometimes even easy. An example of "multiple enemies" is in the undead church where you run up against a bunch of hollows. I see this example cited a lot and I'm like...I mean...I'm sure it's hard if you somehow haven't by that point not learned you're not playing a hack 'n slash. All you have to do to handle it is just...leave. Okay not leave. But back the fuck up. Get out of the room. Why did you dash into a room. The game has repeatedly taught you, with things like a couple fairly harmless ambushes, and enemies hidden around corners, including one you HAVE to have passed on your way there with a balder knight or whatever, to not fucking run into a room. Plus. That room has literally had a fucking lazer priest dude shooting you when you were down below. Why the fuck did you (also me, my first time through; I was very bad at dark souls for a very long time) rush in there? It's such a doable encounter, and there is no shortage of people who succeeded at it first try, with every build in the game. The game has taken a bunch of steps to warn you about it.

This is not the case in the bastille example. There is no good way to approach it as a new player. It just places two normal looking enemies that will fucking stunlock you to death, with no room for you to retreat once you realize you've underestimated them. Any new player is going to die here, and I don't feel that they've learned ANYTHING that will a) increase their skill or b) increase their enjoyment due to having solved something or overcome a challenge. Because you just aren't really given the tools to overcome the challenge. And there are SO MANY of these. DS2 is fucking FULL of dropping you into situations and forcing you to just face a ton of enemies with no recourse. It drives people towards cheesy builds and doesn't really help them to be better players.

With the church example, it did help me to be a better player. And my time through the Depths was completely different because it taught me that I had better get my act together with watching out for rooms. So even though I failed, it taught me better. I could stop, go in slowly, and play safe. I could learn. DS2 just wanted me to die. And that opinion has only continued to be reinforced as I played it.

Thankfully I felt that the DLCs for Dark Souls 2 were far more meaningful with their difficulty. There are still some really dumb parts, but I feel most are signposted much better and provide better examples for how to handle them.

Oct 26, 2017
I always consider the term 'fair' to describe the difficulty of a Dark Souls game is a bit weird. "The game doesn't cheat so it's fair" is a strange proposition. With that thought, you could pit the player against 100 enemies and call it 'hard but fair'. That's a very special definition of fair.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This is by far the biggest flaw in the game for me to the point where I put in about 6 hours and dropped it because I didn't feel like playing a game that felt "broken" for lack of a better word. Might pick it up again and just pour everything into Adaptability.

32 adapt is the sweet spot. The next step is at 70+ and isn't worth it.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It's always been bullshit. Pretty much every hard game post nes can cop out with it.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular Opinion Time: Sekiro felt Very Dark Souls 2 at times.

I don't know the iframes on Sekiro's dodge because I wasn't able to find it in the guidebook believe it or not but I would bet money they purposely made it lower than the the norm to push deflection. In the guide it's stated that it has a whopping 20 active frames to deflect/parry compared to the 5-8 in the souls games shield, and more than the 13 the standard dodge frames souls gives you.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't agree that deaths due to trial and error is good design though. In theory, you could complete a bullet hell game, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Doom on the highest difficulty, etc. without ever dying: it's nearly impossible of course if you don't know what the game's about, but all the elements are in front of you. Shots can be seen, there's usually room to escape, and so on. You only die when you make a mistake, when you weren't good enough, or when you haven't figured out the ideal way through and went into something you didn't properly expect. But Dark Souls has one shot kill traps, it hides enemies in unseen locations, there's situations where as soon as you enter a door an enemy well beyond your level one shots you before you could even realize there's someone there.

One of the worst parts of my Dark Souls experience was that I started the first game going straight on, towards the skeletons. I died a lot, but I managed to get rid of those bastards. Then I went into the cave, dying multiple times due to barely visible bats or something (haven't played that part in a while). But that was fine, I managed. Then I enter a room after all that fuckery and a mage one shots me. I was supposed to know that area is some high level shit I wasn't supposed to go into yet. The only way I could know that was reach the end of that area, because what came before was beatable but fair enough. There was absolutely no way for me to know (besides using tools outside of the game, eg. guides) that wasn't the way to go, and thus I wasted hours on what is essentially an impossible area at that point in the game.

That is a textbook example of bad design in my eyes: the most obvious route being a practically unbeatable dead end, but one you only realize to be so after several wasted tries.

Here is where I disagree with you as someone who also played DS:Remastered recently for the first time. I went that way, got bodied hard by the skeletons, realized "this clearly isn't the best way to go", explored, and found 2 other paths much more reasonable. The first guy you see when you land in Firelink shrine tells you to go to the undead burg for the first bell. At some point I'm going to blame the player for the mixture of ignoring the npcs and stubbornly heading down a path that feels wrong because the enemies are so much stronger then what you just fought.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to say this because it would appear that I didn't give a shit about OP's greivances with Souls titles (I still don't lol) but yeah Souls games are gassed up to be these passing rites for gamers when they're piss easy

difficulty and combat depth masked by an overemphasis on build versatility and knowing when to block lol

This is really frustrating as a souls fan.

The games don't care if you've played other games, and you have to unlearn a lot of bullshit, but damn if once you get used to them they aren't fun. And man idk I greatly enjoyed the satisfaction of figuring them out myself, as they are so clearly designed to gently guide you towards figuring them out. They're not just ubisoft games with the markers cut out. That would suck. They're designed in such a way that demands you figure stuff out, but does a lot of things to help you do that.

Once you figure that out, they are so, so much easier than people describe them as. People want the games to play like they want them too.

I think this is actually really bad because a lot of people who go in wanting a difficult game, but who adapt more quickly end up being disappointed. And idk. It sucks.

And I say all this when it took me like a week to finally get to and beat the Taurus Demon. I was BAD. But I took the game seriously, and learned it, and now I play them to relax. I didn't gain more skill. I tend to not be super skilled at video games. These games have a difficulty I am positive anyone can learn.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Move on to Dark Souls 3 and don't look back.

And I say that as someone that loves DS2.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the timing for parryng with the shield in DS2 is so fuuuuuucking off. I can parry pretty much everything on DS1, Bloodborne and DS3 but DS2 is just nope with the frames.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's not always fair - there are some surprises that are 99 out of 100 times going to result in a new players death. And that's ok, the games play with death not being the end in mind, it's a core mechanic.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I think in general, "hard but fair" fits the series well. You'll die more to mistakes than the jank.

This is what "hard but unfair" looks like
giphy.gif

You actually can't beat that guy legit
"Cur-"
"OH NO YOU DON'T!"

Excessive, but I can see the boss' point there. Heroes that heal are a pest and must be dealt with swiftly. Bunch of cheaters.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the timing for parryng with the shield in DS2 is so fuuuuuucking off. I can parry pretty much everything on DS1, Bloodborne and DS3 but DS2 is just nope with the frames.

Same.

For me, it takes me ages to get used to it, because I have to feel it. If I stop playing and come back, I completely have unlearned it again. I never had that trouble with literally any of the other souls games. But Dark Souls 2 just does not make sense to me visually. It's like a bad audio sync. I can always get used to it after a while, but it takes forever to do so and I never feel good about it. Also good lord the animations are dumb as hell, especially how everything you parry just sits on its butt.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 started off as my least favorite game in the series when I played it the first and second time, but once I isolated the issues I had with it (i.e., needing to increase adaptability to make better the iframes and accepting that you can get killed by a thousand cuts very quickly because of being staggered so easily), it came out on top as my favorite one in the series due to the sheer scale and wide variety of locales. Admittedly they aren't as well-made as some areas in Dark Souls 1 or 3, but the game is considerably more endearing to me due to the heavy emphasis on fantasy over the other titles.

I really never expected to be in this position and completely understand the issues you have, OP, but years later I've grown to appreciate the title considerably more than what my first experienced allowed me.

Also I may have a different definition of "jankiness" because I would never think to describe the games this way. Outside of the questionable hitboxes in Dark Souls 2, most of which is rectified by adaptability, I always found everything to be responsive and working as intended.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So,you put all the games in the same bag because of a bad experience with ds2?

Yeah this is was weird to me. Like, I'm very familiar with and follow the games, so obviously I know about the huge amounts of people who dislike DS2. But it still seems odd to me someone on a forum like this could miss that? I mean we get threads about it CONSTANTLY.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
This gif is one of the best examples of why DS2 is trash OP,it is a game with a lot of problems,for me was like playing a Dark Souls's rip-off ,well done OP.

About DS1+DS3 being fair or not is purely subjective,for me was.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That attack in the gif hit the player. The animation is janky as fuck, but it did connect with the player's hit box

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Projectiles through walls.
Projectiles that curve.
The mob aggros you with attacks that pass through each other to ahnnilate your health bar.
And the HitBox tomfoolery, apparently thiers is minisule, and your's is enormous?
Regarding their weapons? Their hitbox is enormous, and yours is miniscule.
Hard because it is unfair

I forgot all that fuckery.
And the ridiculous part is that most enemies, Boss included, can be cheesed out.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Aside from the (unintentionally?) hilarious contradiction in the bolded, doesn't this just boil down to "I don't like learning from defeat in games"? As far as the combat goes I think it's pretty easy to learn without dying. Keep your distance and bait the enemy into doing its attacks while you dodge so you can learn what it does. I feel like this is true for pretty much all ARPGs, there's just less leeway because you can't take a lot of damage in Dark Souls.

Haha. I'm just so use to writing "IMO" when writing anything online.

But no I'm fine with learning from defeat. The problem is having to backtrack to where I am because something wasn't telegraphed well enough. Stuff like the boulder on the stairs, the oil on the bridge isn't obvious to someone playing for the first time. Just because YOU noticed it doesn't mean everyone will. Which is the problem. FROM could easily relay this to players in a way that doesn't punish you by having you retread ground. If you must have players learn by doing then at least put it just after a bonfire.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no one-stop solution to damage evasion in DS2 as there is in DS1. Roll distance, Roll "quality", and stamina for shielding are now 3 stats rather than 1 as it was in DS1. The player needs to choose what types of damage evasion to specialize in, rather than having a simplistic stat build that does everything well.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only point you've made is that dark souls 2 is the worst entry in the series and isnt a controversial opinion. But to suggest the other games are like this is just wrong.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
ok so this sounds like bullshit but it's how i experience the game:

for me the game is an rpg, in the sense that I feel like I can inhabit my character, feel immersed, etc.
a lot of the bullshit deaths (capra demon camera angles, pursuer hitbox) to me have always served to further the feeling of despair/"here we go again" which to me is very key to these games.

Imo, Celeste is a game that also uses this to great effect. Both games are essentially built for you to "learn" a route and then build your experience executing the route by making you repeat them until it feels fluid. For me this all comes together really wonderfully, like the things the game is trying to make you feel + the actual world state within the game coalescing very nicely.

In terms of "fairness", the games are incredibly fair imo. It has plenty of bullshit, but I don't think this goes against the game's design. It's like saying INSIDE is bullshit because you didn't notice a branch, tripped over it, and got a special animation of your character dying, it's an intended aspect of the game that the devs thought you might experience. The souls series literally is about palimpsestic cycles both in it's lore and it's enactment; layering your experiences/runs over each other until they form this unrecognizable/recognizable thing you can look back on, where things are simultaneously a blur and vivid. Being hit by a bullshit stab from the Pursuer is VIVID. And you also learn that your dodge timing is off.

tl;dr, I don't think a game trying to make you suffer is inherently unfair, especially when a key part of the game is doing things over and over. The mood you get from attempting/failing/getting shit on by stuff you weren't expecting serves the game very well, and is inherently tied to the mood of overcoming shit. You can argue that this can be achieved with less bullshit, but imo the bullshit is part and parcel

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't want to say this because it would appear that I didn't give a shit about OP's greivances with Souls titles (I still don't lol) but yeah Souls games are gassed up to be these passing rites for gamers when they're piss easy

difficulty and combat depth masked by an overemphasis on build versatility and knowing when to block lol

Are you his teacher?

;)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does anyone agree with me, or am I just an outlier as I flail myself at Dragonslayer for the 51st time...? Have things improved in Dark Souls 3 or Sekiro?

Your thread is about Dark Souls 2, not Dark Souls in general. I quit DS2 early when it became clear it was more interested in cheap shots than actually fair gameplay, including breaking its own rules. For example, having normal enemies spawn super high up in hidden alcoves that lead nowhere, just so that they can drop down (somehow receiving no damage) and backstab you no matter how much you check your surroundings. It was obviously made by someone who completely misinterpreted what Souls games are about, and to this day people who defend it are completely incomprehensible to me.

Dark Souls 3, helmed by Miyazaki, instead errs on the opposite side, obsessively telegraphing pretty much any and every threat to you, which obviously makes it an easier game (not "easy", per se, but still probably the easiest Souls game). Haven't played much of Sekiro other than about an hour at a friend's house but it felt very fair too.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Never had much problem with DS2 even without putting stats on adaptability. Also never heard of anyone stuck on the Dragonslayer or the Pursuer, specially someone that got through DS1/3/Bloodborne with ease. I mean, it's normal to die some times, the game will feel somewhat different from the other ones, but i don't think it's necessarily worse, you just have to be used to DS2 differences. I die a lot in every Souls games anyway.

People are different. Imo Dark Souls 3 is the hardest of the bunch by far, and i don't think there's a consensus on which one is the hardest.

Edit: Ok, you didn't played 3. Even then, is not hard to see opinions on how Dark Souls 2 is laughable easy while Capra Demon and O&S are the hardest shit ever. People are different.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think that "tough, but fair" may be understood differently by different types of players.

"Tough but fair" has never meant there wouldn't be surprise deaths or jank. Tough but fair, for me, means that despite the presence of any surprises or jank you will always be able to use what you learned upon death to advance successfully in the future. You might be frustrated to find you can't swing your weapon horizontally in close quarters and be killed with no means to defend yourself. But you will also know, for next time, you will need to do something different to overcome your obstacle.

Because what makes Dark Souls "fair" is that your circumstances are constant. The things that kill you don't change. They won't play out any differently in subsequent attempts. The only thing that changes is how you approach it. Enemies and traps are always in the same exact place and you need to adapt what you are doing to progress. This is what makes Dark Souls "fair" to me.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Dark Souls 2 was a major step back in fairness. Broken hitboxes, stupid adaptability stat, unfair mobs. It just took so much of the good from Dark Souls and made it unnecessarily worse

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
-bad hit reg
-janky animations
-floaty feeling combat
-adaptability
-lots of 'cheap' ambushes and trap placement

Dark Souls 2 is the perfect storm of unpleasantness and isn't at all representative of the series as a whole.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
All this talk about DS2 and here I am about to hop on this weekend to help a friend out with the 4 Kings.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
How do you expect us to take you seriously when you base your argument in DS2

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asymmetry is kinda the whole point of single-player games, so I don't think there's a lot of value in the framing of "fair" and "unfair" in the first place. I'd certainly never use it.

things can be deeply unfun to learn, though, for a ton of different subjective reasons

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that deaths due to trial and error is good design though. In theory, you could complete a bullet hell game, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Doom on the highest difficulty, etc. without ever dying: it's nearly impossible of course if you don't know what the game's about, but all the elements are in front of you. Shots can be seen, there's usually room to escape, and so on. You only die when you make a mistake, when you weren't good enough, or when you haven't figured out the ideal way through and went into something you didn't properly expect. But Dark Souls has one shot kill traps, it hides enemies in unseen locations, there's situations where as soon as you enter a door an enemy well beyond your level one shots you before you could even realize there's someone there.

One of the worst parts of my Dark Souls experience was that I started the first game going straight on, towards the skeletons. I died a lot, but I managed to get rid of those bastards. Then I went into the cave, dying multiple times due to barely visible bats or something (haven't played that part in a while). But that was fine, I managed. Then I enter a room after all that fuckery and a mage one shots me. I was supposed to know that area is some high level shit I wasn't supposed to go into yet. The only way I could know that was reach the end of that area, because what came before was beatable but fair enough. There was absolutely no way for me to know (besides using tools outside of the game, eg. guides) that wasn't the way to go, and thus I wasted hours on what is essentially an impossible area at that point in the game.

That is a textbook example of bad design in my eyes: the most obvious route being a practically unbeatable dead end, but one you only realize to be so after several wasted tries.
I'm sorry but I just want to point out that roguelikes are literally Trial and Error as their core design philosophy, so this idea that somehow they are not trial and error but Dark Souls is just makes me laugh.
EDIT: Nevermind, I misread your first sentence.
Point still stands though, Roguelikes will kill you for not knowing just as if not more often than Souls with far harsher penalty for doing so.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh look, someone on ERA is talking shit about Dark Souls 2. Stop the presses.

It's the game that got me into Dark Souls despite playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 before it. My personal favorite in the Souls series. Instead of screaming into the vacuum, why not just turn off the game and move on?
How about instead of thread whining you just move on?