• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
RRqqwx6.png

Initial Release Date: April 12th 2016
Developer: From Software
Designer: Hidetaka Miyazaki
Platform: PlayStation 4 / PC / Xbox One
Modes: Single/Multiplayer

Why a new OT for a 2 year old game?
Thread Mission:
This OT is being posted to help with the influx of newbies about to enter this deadly world via the Humble Monthly February offering. Rather than a bunch of LTTP threads, use this thread to discuss the game, support newbs entering the world for the first time, as well as, group up for this game. There is a lot to learn and a lot to do in order to stay alive, so as a plea to DS vets, please post any tips, tricks or anything else that may help the newbs survive.

giphy.gif

Game Lore: Dark Souls 3 takes place in a transitory place, revolving around the first flame and the cycle of fire and dark. You play as a protagonist whose goal is to find and return the five Lords of Cinder to their thrones at Firelink Shrine in order to link the flame again. The protagonist is known as an "Unkindled," a being considered less of a being than an Undead who is made from the remains of an Undead warrior who failed to link the flame and, as a result, burned their bodies into ash.

Screens:
giphy.gif

Kl1xpjS.jpg

eQSdCuC.jpg

N42gy2K.jpg

C'mon now, these aren't meant to scare you away, they are here to get you excited. I mean, the aesthetics of this world are amazing... Don't back down now, you can do it!

6jRbDFh.gif

But Zexion I suck at Dark Souls? How do I "Git Gud xd?"

Worry not my young follower of the dark arts! These resources below may help you in your journey.

Helpful Resources for beginners:
Kotaku
Dark Souls III Wiki
Reddit
VG 24/7

Helpful Videos:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Feels good being back to Dark Soul Land. Still have to play [insert DS3 DLC name] so I'll be there starting next Tuesday

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on the game after the boss that splits in two (?) in the you-know-where area from the first game. I felt like I was somewhat near the final part of the game. For be, Soulsborne games always get boring during that part - especially DS1 and BB. How much do I have left? Is it worth to continue? I have no interest in the bosses, I just like to explore and get cool gear.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
This game broke me. I probably fought the Abyss Watchers 70+ times, and then Pontiff close to that many. I eventually beat him but was so fatigued on the game I never made it through the next area. Might try it again at some point after DS1 remaster comes out.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit this game two hours in because it was quite possibly the most aggressively unfun game I have ever played

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it is about this zone but I've been stuck on that area with the silver knights/archers for months. I come back to it every once in a while and make zero progress. It's a bit frustrating.

I'm pretty familiar with the series, too. Finished Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne + all DLC.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game broke me. I probably fought the Abyss Watchers 70+ times, and then Pontiff close to that many. I eventually beat him but was so fatigued on the game I never made it through the next area. Might try it again at some point after DS1 remaster comes out.

Find some friends or an NPC and summon bro. No shame in summoning.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There is no place like Dark Sole Land... beautifully "hunting".

;-)

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I was curious to how to make the PC version into "easy mode"? I hear there are mods to make it easy.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
After a conversation between the staff, we have decided to allow OTs for older games that don't have a pre-existing OT on ResetEra.

OTs for older games will be given a short period of time in the Video Game section before being moved to Hangouts. This period of time will be shorter than the existing month rule for new releases.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope that clarifies things. If you have questions about this policy, please PM me directly. Have fun slaying.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I was curious to how to make the PC version into "easy mode"? I hear there are mods to make it easy.
If you are familiar with cheat engine, there are trainers that can grant you certain "easy mode" mods. I'd look around for them, but I would make sure you're playing offline to avoid being banned.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on the game after the boss that splits in two (?) in the you-know-where area from the first game. I felt like I was somewhat near the final part of the game. For be, Soulsborne games always get boring during that part - especially DS1 and BB. How much do I have left? Is it worth to continue? I have no interest in the bosses, I just like to explore and get cool gear.

Anyone?

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DarkSouls3GIF.gif

Also, everyone should definitely pick up Ringed City at some point. DLC of the year 2017.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK

you aren't that far from the end, no
iirc you'd have to kill aldrich, yhorm (if you haven't already) and then head off to lothric where you'd fight dancer (if you haven't already), dragonslayer armour (if you haven't already) and twin princes. after that it's just the final boss. IMO the boss you're on is the hardest in the base game

edit: i assumed you were talking about pontiff, if you're talking about nameless king, he's an optional boss. everything that i said would still apply except dancer

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game. I have to admit, I had some trouble with the DLC. Especially the optional boss. That was more frustrating to me than BB DLC bosses lol.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Asking how much is left. No interest in bosses. What?!?!

Sounds like these games just aren't for you. I cannot even fathom asking 'How much is left?" when I play these. I ask the opposite ("Please be more!"). But that's just me I guess.

Anyway, assuming you're talking about Pontiff, there is quite a bit left. You haven't even killed half the bosses yet.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
How come all of a sudden we're splitting the SoulsERA thread up into the individual games?
Not that I really care, just curious.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How come all of a sudden we're splitting the SoulsERA thread up into the individual games?
Not that I really care, just curious.

This is for people coming/revisiting the game who picked it up in the monthly subscription for Humble.

Bloodborne OT is for the people who picked it up in the PS+ Subscription.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking lost my 80h+ save when i upgraded my PC... I never ever thought that this game did not have cloud saving, mother#$?#

I have no courage to start all over again..

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pontiff Sulyvahn?

I need help with The Nameless King. His first phase mainly when he's on his wyvern.

Unlocked camera is your friend. The second you see him fly up, haul ass cause the firebreath HURTS - similar strategy to Kalameet from DS1. The rest should be straight forward and make sure you take advantage of the free critical attack when you deal enough damage to him.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I've beaten the game six times now, I'm still debating whether to go back through it again.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Shields are worthless in this game.

circle strafe with shield up is total cheese and defeats many of the bosses

edit: it also makes most of the regular enemies really easy as well as NPC invasions. you also gain the ability to parry and, unless you're using a str weapon, you usually won't gain that much from two handing unless you really really want to use your weapon art, in which case it's as simple as tapping triangle

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
I remember how I did all the proccess to buy trough the japanese store and to this day I havent finish it yet

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This comes at a good time. I just ordered a new laptop, it'll probably be here on Monday. I can finallf play this game!

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Just have to say i love those weirdos with candles for heads, not sure what putting your head on wax but they look so silly.
Some light hearted humor is what the series needs.
images

They look so happy

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
lmao.

I had started playing the game back when It released, but never finished it (Stopped at pontiff). Now i'm going to start another run, so hopefully I actually finish it this time.
Did you tried the profaned capital before? I recommend going through the dungeons before fighting Sullyvan much more balanced diff. Curve.and its easier to find the way

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Won't pass on an opportunity to share my opinion :o

Having just played through Dark Souls III + DLCs, I highly recommend getting Ashes of Ariandel as it really has one of the most wonderful boss fights in the series (I'd compare it to fighting Maria in Bloodborne <3). It's also a great zone, a real highlight!

Unfortunately I don't think too highly of DS3 as a whole (even Ringed City :/), it's got more flaws than I expected. Most environments weren't pleasant to explore with how ugly or barren they looked, or even how unfairly they treated the player (Prison) and those I genuinely loved were too short (Profaned, Peak) or just too similar to levels in past games (Lake, Ariandel). Maybe it just looked too often a repeat of Bloodborne's environments to me?

Even when it comes to NPCs or common enemies, I only really enjoyed encountering some of them that didn't feel like a repeat from previous games (Yoel for instance). Bosses had too many gimmicks and useless phases/multi enemies/cutscenes that made me go "ppfff not this shit again" (except for the DLC where it was all well set-up and exciting).

However, it IS the Souls game with the most refined gameplay to date, and it's brilliant!

But I needed my "wow that's so fucking awesome" factor that lasts for an entire level like Tower of Latria in Demon's or all 3 DLC zones in 2 with their level design, enemies, atmosphere, music, bosses etc. and it never happened in 3 for more than a couple of minutes. Perhaps 3 is better enjoyed as an introduction to the series, ironically.

So yeah it didn't dethrone Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II's excellent DLCs for me, and that's fine, I still got some memorable moments in it that complete my Souls journey! It's a Souls game, after all, even if it's my least favorite it can never be considered something else than good :p

Have fun, new Ashen Ones!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Asking how much is left. No interest in bosses. What?!?!

Sounds like these games just aren't for you. I cannot even fathom asking 'How much is left?" when I play these. I ask the opposite ("Please be more!"). But that's just me I guess.

Anyway, assuming you're talking about Pontiff, there is quite a bit left. You haven't even killed half the bosses yet.

I love Bloodborne and DS1, but I think for very different reasons than most people. I love the early to late mid game parts of these games, where the focus is on exploring the world and unraveling the mysteries. The final third of the soulsborne games are never that exciting to me.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But I needed my "wow that's so fucking awesome" factor that lasts for an entire level like Tower of Latria in Demon's or all 3 DLC zones in 2 with their level design, enemies, atmosphere, music, bosses etc. and it never happened in 3 for more than a couple of minutes. Perhaps 3 is better enjoyed as an introduction to the series, ironically.

Funnily enough, I felt the exact opposite. Cathedral of the Deep is insane, best FromSoft level since Anor Londo, and so is Ariandel. Then you have "wow" moments like Archdragon Peak and Smouldering Lake which are breathtakingly beautiful and something you never expected from Soulsborne. But the biggest "this game just became it" moment for me was going into Irithyll.
Nothing in the other games came close to that moment.

50CFA10BFDB7399CA095970DE52CE211BAFBB63D

Also, when Lothric goes into eclipse mode, the early areas become straight up gorgeous.
778BF2D7A79E76E51BD59F35AEBBC5AF55B1F248

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Would it be worth linking to Nexus Mods in the OP for all the cool mods like Boss Rush, Use What You See Randomizer etc.?

Had this on PS4 but the Humble Monthly was worth picking it up for PC, mainly for the mods like the above.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made my feelings on this game quite clear in the SoulsERA thread in hangouts:

DS3 is still a piece of complete shit. I don't know what possessed Miyazaki to turn his slow-paced thoughtful series into an aggressive aggrofest but it sucks so damn bad.

They made the game WAY too dependent on rolling and made every enemy attack three times as much and three times as fast

Enemies do a billion damage and even high-DEF armor is useless because ROLL DAMMIT

and WHERE IS MY GODDAMN POISE how am I supposed to kill shit if I keep getting stunlocked

This game might be one of the most disappointing purchases I've ever made.

I got this game as a gift and I wanted to personally apologize to the person who bought it for me.

If you like rollspamming DEX builds then maybe you'll like this game, but otherwise this game has zero build variety and made some utterly baffling decisions such as utterly eliminating Poise and giving every enemy aimbot precision.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished NG+ and maxed most Covenants. I'll start NG++ this week-end.

I loved the game. I feel most areas range from solid to top notch. I like how there are way more shortcuts than in DS2, and how wide/high most levels are.

The main story was a bit disappointing tbh, as I felt it didn't add as much to the universe as I expected, but man, the DLC is fantastic. The set pieces, the characters, the mood, the bosses, everything. I love how the very last Dark Souls DLC revolves around a bit of lore that's been bothering me since the very beginning of the first Dark Souls.

I've been playing with a DEX build and spent 90% of my time with sharp sellsword twin swords, but recently migrated to a Frayed Blade after reading praise for it on the internet, and I think I liked the twin swords better.