• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
good to know the guy that made the Alyx model for the FakeFactory Cinematic mod found work

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
These are funny, but the absence of male genitals to avoid clipping is actually a good idea. Remember the dick clipping in Cyberpunk? šŸ˜‚

(Doesn't explain the why the female anatomy is detailed though, that's... certainly weird. Probably borrowed assets as others have suggested)

well in cyberpunk boobs also clipped, so..

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out that the game does not need to have a body model underneath the armor. In fact, most RPGs work like this: the armor just replaces the body or the specific body part they cover, like chest, arms, legs, etc. There's no reason to have an additional model underneath the armor, because you don't see it.

And they most definitely did not need a detailed vagina for absolutely anything. This is just creepy as fuck.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Unironically.

3f6.jpg

I still weep for this version of Lothric.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
That does make sense but still, it always ends up being women who have detailed genitals. Not just in this game, plenty others do them.

Why design them if they end up not being seen by most?
To answer this from a 3d modeling perspective, it is vastly easier to do female genitals compared to male. Its like less than a few minutes of work modeling wise and you dont even really have to change topology. Male genitals will probably have to be a separate model to take care of clipping issues among other things.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to point out that the game does not need to have a body model underneath the armor. In fact, most RPGs work like this: the armor just replaces the body or the specific body part they cover, like chest, arms, legs, etc. There's no reason to have an additional model underneath the armor, because you don't see it.

And they most definitely did not need a detailed vagina for absolutely anything. This is just creepy as fuck.
Wouldn't it help with the armor modeling? Essentially "dressing" the character. The armor doesn't cover every centimeter of skin after all

Oct 27, 2017
To answer this from a 3d modeling perspective, it is vastly easier to do female genitals compared to male. Its like less than a few minutes of work modeling wise and you dont even really have to change topology. Male genitals will probably have to be a separate model to take care of clipping issues among other things.
I mean I don't doubt this but my question is why?

Like, why go through that work when it isn't going to get used anyway?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I eagerly await the penis build of the game, where it clips through your Faraam set and a basilisk gets caught on it and starts windmilling around as you run.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DSIII had an M rating, so I see nothing wrong with detailed (non sexed up) breasts/ genitalia on display, if its only the woman model... that's bad for obvious reasons.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Wouldn't it help with the armor modeling? Essentially "dressing" the character. The armor doesn't cover every centimeter of skin after all
It does help with the initial modeling, but in game the body is usually turned off. This saves on rendering costs and gets rid of any potential skin clipping through clothing an armor during animations.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Who cares? There was a nude model in a beta for a game..... We're the ones making it weird by talking about it as if it's a big thing (regardless of why it was used).

Decapitations = fine. Undecapited (but nude) = not fine.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
In those cases, either the skin is also part of the armor model (as is the case of Dragon Age, for instance), or the body is segmented and the parts of it that are covered by the armor are disabled (like Bethesda's RPGs). So it's never necessary to have an actual full model underneath the armor, because that often causes clipping (as is the baffling case of Cyberpunk), much less one with detailed genitals.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018

Chances are, they did not put in the work to add in the details, It is just how the stock models came to them. From soft is most likely using a character creation middleware which they eventually put in the work in adding undergarments and changing the base models to more their liking. It is much cheaper to license or buy pre made models and modify them, than to pay someone in house to create them from scratch.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that the model doesn't exist in the full-game, I would assume the model was imported or re-used from somewhere else, and no one cared to do anything about it since the model was already covered up as their "no armor" model.

With my limited knowledge in animating and 3D modeling, wouldn't a penis also be harder to make since it's actually protruding from the character model, if character models were kept underneath armor instead of being replaced by the armor? That would be so much clipping and would have to exist as a separate character model. Not an endorsement of fully-naked female models without fully-naked male models, but in theory, it would be more difficult to make naked male models under armor, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Chances are, they did not put in the work to add in the details, It is just how the stock models came to them. From soft is most likely using a character creation middleware which they eventually put in the work in adding undergarments and changing the base models to more their liking. It is much cheaper to license or buy pre made models and modify them, than to pay someone in house to create them from scratch.
I see. That makes sense when you put it that way. Thanks for the insight.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017

M/F models normally start from anatomically correct models and work down from there, this happens even more if they outsource their base. This is kinda non-news, I can see 90% of games following this workflow.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M/F models normally start from anatomically correct models and work down from there, this happens even more if they outsource their base. This is kinda non-news, I can see 90% of games following this workflow.
they don't add nipples or vaginas. and these look textured on, so they didn't even start with completely anatomically correct models

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls characters are so off-putting, I really hope nobody is finding anything arousing about this.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Ah, makes sense. But again, I'm no expert.

Oct 25, 2019
There's a lot of people online explaining how this is a non-issue as it's easier and more practical to model a vagina than a penis in a videogame, therefore no penis model.

But not a lot of those people are offering explanations about why the vagina was modelled in the first place. So somehow it's practical to model a vagina in a game where you would never see it? But a penis is a step too far and totally unreasonable?

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017

PUBG had the exact same issue a few years ago on their test server:

www.pcgamer.com

PlayerUnknown apologizes for overly-detailed female anatomy on PUBG test server

The unexpected change in female character models appeared over the weekend.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, normally models are built as a base Barbie-style nude, then clothing is literally sculpted out of that form like someone molding a clay figure. A full nude, detailed model is not required unless you intend someone to see those parts of the body (for better or worse, such as DOA with the swimsuits and fanservice wear or The Witcher with scenes where characters are nude).

So this was either a model they had for testing that was in one of the artists' files, or someone explicitly made it to have a naked body for some reason.

This is also a very likely reason, didn't think about middleware options.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like something that was made in development for weird reasons but wasn't going to ever make it in the full game.

At least they modeled nipples on the guy I guess.

I'm pretty sure the reason the woman has more detail there is you'll find a lot more guys more than eager to "go the extra mile."

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely 100% this.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
well it's not in the full game. DeS had a model of a Gears of War chainsaw in its files and i don't think the universe imploded for that, or any asset re-uses between the dark souls games and DeS.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
To give some more explanation on to the "but why" are details like nipples and genitals are added on to a stock model; it is as simple as being able to charge a little extra money for them rather than something creepy. When you are looking through a huge gallery of anatomical stock 3d human models there tons of things 3D modelers add to give "value" to their particular model pack. Think of it like the free toy in a cereal box (except its modeled nipples and female genitals / textures).

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for explaining it. That makes sense.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
To give some more explanation on to the "but why" are details like nipples and genitals are added on to a stock model; it is as simple as being able to charge a little extra money for them rather than something creepy. When you are looking through a huge gallery of anatomical stock 3d human models there tons of things 3D modelers add to give "value" to their particular model pack. Think of it like the free toy in a cereal box (except its modeled nipples and female genitals / textures).
ā˜

It's only be weird if like, there was a fully modeled cervix for no goddamn reason.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the informative posts.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Always weird when for some genitalia in games is an issue or controversial but killing people (in detailed ways) is fine.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I guess they took this female model, modified some proportions and also created the male model out of it